The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Marketing Must: How to Get More Eyeballs to Buy Your Stuff...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Want to know HOW and WHY people BINGE WATCH entire Netflix shows in one weekend?
What to know why you opened this thread to read what's inside?

I'm surprised we don't officially have a topic on this.

@Lex DeVille mentioned this briefly in his Guru Cults Exposed thread, but I thought it definitely needs its own thread.

If you want to know how to get more people engaged in your offer, continue reading...
If you want to know how to get more buyers, continue reading...

There's a marketing tactic that is widely used to not only attract eyeballs, but to keep them engaged. And when you engage minds, you sell more. You stack loyal customers.

When you binge watch a Netflix series, the tactic is being used on you to keep you watching, episode after episode.

In fact, I'm using this tactic right now on you as well.

Do you make forum threads that get little to no response?

It's probably because you are NOT using this marketing tactic. When I create a new thread, I try to actively deploy this tactic so more people read the thread and engage. You also might not know, I also actively EDIT and MODIFY thread titles so I can deploy this tactic as it generates more reads, and more posts. If you want your threads to grab more reads and comments, use this marketing tactic.

What's this marketing tactic?

It's called an OPEN LOOP.

It's whenever you present the reader with a story, a statement, or a question that creates an "open loop" that begs to be answered. It's like presenting a mystery that needs to be solved ... and when you present mystery, your reader is likely to click through in endeavor to SOLVE the mystery.

This is why Netflix ends episodes with cliffhanging dramatic flair...

OMG, will Cersei die?
OMG, will the billionaire be arrested?
Let me fire up another episode!

This same type of strategy can be used HERE and in your marketing. When you present your offer with a bit of mystery, you are compelling more readers. This is often done with a compelling question or an engaging story with mystery. Or, promise to reveal some unknown, some secret. Tempting your reader is like tickling him with a feather and forcing him to scratch. Here are some examples that I used here...

INSIDERS THREAD...

The open loop is created by "How I ..."

The open loop is created by the question, "Time for you to move?"

Had I posted the tax thread with the title, "2022 State Tax Rankings" I can guarantee you this: The thread would not have received ONE comment. However with the open loop, it attracted eye balls and some comments.

Here at the forum, a thread was started called "The Anti-work Movement" -- I modified the thread to read "The Anti-Work Movement, Lazy or Enlightened?" My reason is to create a bit of an open loop.

Another tactic to create open loops is through storytelling. When you write a compelling story, a reader often wants to finish the story. The reader seeks closure. To see this tactic working to perfection, look no further than James Clear's best-selling book, "Atomic Habits." Nearly every chapter is started with a story because he's landing marketing punches onto his reader with A) Storytelling (another huge marketing tactic) and B) Open Loops. It doesn't surprise me that book has sold millions of copies.

How to Create an Open Loop:

1) Start a story that needs finishing...
2) Offer a bit of information, part of the formula, and promise the rest...
3) Ask a compelling question...
4) Offer a FREE Sample, one bite of anything tasty = immediate sale.
5) Make a startling statement... here's a forum example by @JasonR who is no stranger to marketing...

$100K in one hour? OMG let me read!

And don't forgot the best "open loop" marketing ...

Free samples.

This is why the aisles at Costco are filled with sampler carts.
This is why you can't eat one bite of a candy bar.
This is why one bit of anything that is tasty = immediate sale.

The hardest part of marketing is attracting eyeballs in a vast ocean of eyes. Simply raising your hand in a stadium full of ravenous merchants isn't enough. You must elevate your message ... using an OPEN LOOP is like raising a banner high above the crowd, not using it is like raising your hand and hoping to get picked.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jun 17, 2013
@MJ DeMarco thanks for posting.

I wish I could find a book on marketing (as I know there’s more to it than just this) that was as clear as your books are on money/business.

Definitely something I need to get better at.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Want to know HOW and WHY people BINGE WATCH entire Netflix shows in one weekend?

@Lex DeVille mentioned this briefly in his Guru Cults Exposed thread, but I thought it definitely needs its own thread.

If you want to know how to get more people engaged in your offer, continue reading...

There's a marketing tactic that is widely used to not only attract eyeballs, but to keep them engaged. And when you engage minds, you sell more. You stack loyal customers.

When you binge watch a Netflix series, the tactic is being used on you to keep you watching, episode after episode.

It's probably because you are NOT using this marketing tactic. When I create a new thread, I try to actively deploy this tactic so more people read the thread and engage. You also might not know, I also actively EDIT and MODIFY thread titles so I can deploy this tactic as it generates more reads, and more posts. If you want your threads to grab more reads and comments, use this marketing tactic.

It's whenever you present the reader with a story, a statement, or a question that creates an "open loop" that begs to be answered. It's like presenting a mystery that needs to be solved ... and when you present mystery, your reader is likely to click through in endeavor to SOLVE the mystery.

OMG, will Cersei die?

This same type of strategy can be used HERE and in your marketing. When you present your offer with a bit of mystery, you are compelling more readers. This is often done with a compelling question or an engaging story with mystery. Or, promise to reveal some unknown, some secret. Tempting your reader is like tickling him with a feather and forcing him to scratch. Here are some examples that I used here...

INSIDERS THREAD...

Had I posted the tax thread with the title, "2022 State Tax Rankings" I can guarantee you this: The thread would not have received ONE comment. However with the open loop, it attracted eye balls and some comments.

Here at the forum, a thread was started called "The Anti-work Movement" -- I modified the thread to read "The Anti-Work Movement, Lazy or Enlightened?" My reason is to create a bit of an open loop.

Another tactic to create open loops is through storytelling. When you write a compelling story, a reader often wants to finish the story. The reader seeks closure. To see this tactic working to perfection, look no further than James Clear's best-selling book, "Atomic Habits." Nearly every chapter is started with a story because he's landing marketing punches onto his reader with A) Storytelling (another huge marketing tactic) and B) Open Loops. It doesn't surprise me that book has sold millions of copies.

4) Make a startling statement... here's a forum example by @JasonR who is no stranger to marketing...

The hardest part of marketing is attracting eyeballs in a vast ocean of eyes. Simply raising your hand in a stadium full of ravenous merchants isn't enough. You must elevate your message ... using an OPEN LOOP is like raising a banner high above the crowd, not using it is like raising your hand and hoping to get picked.
So many marketing, life, and business lessons to be gained reading, posting, and engaging in this forum.

I’m not great at titling my threads. I occasionally see them renamed and know who’s doing it, and why. Lol.

It’s pretty cool getting your threads renamed every now and then by a best selling author. Thanks MJ.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh, and if you want more eyeballs on your threads then consider getting more engagement. Replies bump your thread to the top of the feed again.

My goto is to straight out ask people what their biggest takeaway is. I’m always surprised by and enjoy reading the responses.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Scheherazade was a dab hand at not finishing the story.

Dan

TheTorche

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 30, 2019
Geneva
Great post thanks MJ, its amazing how just reading one of your posts I can learn more actionable/practical things in 5 minutes than during weeks of marketing lessons at my business school.
I guess the first step is to get out of our own open loops that we are addicted to. Any idea on how to get out of these?
A few that I could think of:
1. Do social media/dopamine detox
2. Delete the Netflix subscription
3. Continue to fight while most probably failing a dozen times because it is so addictive, but continue to take action (interact with the market) while dealing with this addiction until we get a FTE.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Great post thanks MJ, its amazing how just reading one of your posts I can learn more actionable/practical things in 5 minutes than during weeks of marketing lessons at my business school.
I guess the first step is to get out of our own open loops that we are addicted to. Any idea on how to get out of these?
A few that I could think of:
1. Do social media/dopamine detox
2. Delete the Netflix subscription
3. Continue to fight while most probably failing a dozen times because it is so addictive, but continue to take action (interact with the market) while dealing with this addiction until we get a FTE.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this
If you explore anything linearly, you will be stuck in such loops as the media was created to be experienced in that way.

I think the solution is to lead instead of being led through. Conciously search for a piece of information or something you already enjoy, do not unconciously perceive what is being presented to you. You have to jump to where you want to go, instead of slowly meandering. You can do this by using the search function on any website, social media. You can also read non-fiction books in whatever order you want to, or skip parts of a film you do not enjoy. When reading posts on this forum I only read keywords in each posts, not the full text.

Manfern

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 7, 2013
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Solution is old, produce instead of consuming.
Thanks for thread and advice, will use it soon, because some of my clients lost interest in a story and don't want to cooperate anymore, avoiding my messages, guess
was info dumping instead of presenting info in a interesting and compelling way to hook them in and move in a right direction.
It's called content strategy I guess:)

And I have one more point to add - text formatting is very important, font, title, small paragraphs, short and simple sentences etc

Last edited:

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK

This idea is pure gold.

I've begun using it at the end of YouTube videos after a very helpful exchange with Andy Black on another thread. I wanted more people clicking to watch another of my videos because the average end screen click was a terrible 1.5%.

When I used the Open Loop idea it shot up. First to 8%, then 10%, followed by 12% and the most recent was 24.9%. All this because I highlighted a problem I knew people watching would have and then pointed them to my video with the answer.

One good idea implemented well can be worth a fortune. Thank you.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I learned long ago that if I really want to do something I must do it straight away.

Whether imperfect , half understood or even cringe, I did it as soon as I read this.

Now that the first step is taken, I can focus on becoming better at it.

Thank you

@TheTorche Whenever I read someone is addicted to Netflix or Social Media all I see is a person that’s not busy enough.
Busy doing the right things.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Forgot to add the best "open loop" marketing ...

Free samples.

sidhartha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 3, 2021
@MJ DeMarco thanks for posting.

I wish I could find a book on marketing (as I know there’s more to it than just this) that was as clear as your books are on money/business.

Definitely something I need to get better at.
Yes there is a book named "Cashvertising" by Drew Eric Whitman. You can give it a read :)

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

OMG, will Cersei die?

INSIDERS THREAD...

5) Make a startling statement... here's a forum example by @JasonR who is no stranger to marketing...

Free samples.

Great post MJ, you clearly explained the fundamental principles of marketing and copywriting.

If anyone wants to get better at writing these types of headlines that beckon you to read through the message, consider practicing these headlines in a notepad every day. You wouldn't believe the magnetic power you will feel!

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jun 17, 2013
Yes there is a book named "Cashvertising" by Drew Eric Whitman. You can give it a read :)
Yes. I’ve read Cashvertising. It was good, but not so much so that I walked away from it with a new perspective or new understanding of how marketing works.

Additionally, marketing encompasses more than just advertising and copy, which was the focus of that book.

Manfern

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 7, 2013
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Well I'd like to add that good story telling still required nowadays,
because so much content on the internet right now.
If consumer have problem to solve he is gonna read even boring text,
if not - he is gonna skim though, skip it fully or will be very skeptical.

ateares

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 10, 2016

OMG, will Cersei die?

INSIDERS THREAD...

Free samples.

Really great reminder and one that I just used for my social media post. Thanks for sharing MJ!

matduans

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Dec 30, 2021
malaysia

OMG, will Cersei die?

INSIDERS THREAD...

Free samples.

yummy thread

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
bump.

5) Make a startling statement...

So huge! I think in movies it's starting at the end or where the main action is, and then the rest of the movie explains how the main character got to that point. I think it's called a "cold opening" or something of the sort.

I've been digging nose-deep into copywriting and storytelling recently. Mainly because the concept of an open loop is so powerful and I seem to suck so bad at intuitively using it...

The thing is though, the more I open my eyes to open loops and see how others use them, the more I see successful ads and youtube videos apply them. It's funny because I have to ask myself why is this thumbnail so good or why does this title draw me in? Or maybe why did I choose this product instead of its competitor?

And then it usually occurs to me it's the friggin open loop.

The artsy stuff is nice in an Ad/thumbnail to catch attention, but the psychology of an open loop whether it's pictorial or words is what gets that attention to become more curious. It's a tough lesson but a much-needed one.

Last edited:

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022
Amazing! Can we get more posts like this?

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 28, 2022
If you explore anything linearly, you will be stuck in such loops as the media was created to be experienced in that way.

I think the solution is to lead instead of being led through. Conciously search for a piece of information or something you already enjoy, do not unconciously perceive what is being presented to you. You have to jump to where you want to go, instead of slowly meandering.
This is timely to my thoughts a while ago!

While I was cooking egg omelette a while ago, I was thinking on how to flip it without spilling some onions and tomatoes and I remembered my way of getting up at ladder with no hesitation to put a bulb on a bulb socket. And I decide to flip it without hesitation and before doing that I checked first if the underneath of the omelette is cooked and as I know that it is cooked, I slowly put my spatula underneath and flip it without hesition and boom no onions and tomatoes fly outside the wok.

My word for this is "hesitation kills"

Last edited:

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022
I just created a prompt for GPT 4 that generates this result. Feel free to check it out:
"Consider the following sentence: [Your sentence here]. Rewrite this sentence in a style that's engaging and easy to understand, similar to the tone of a captivating marketing pitch. Add relevant details to make the message more interesting, but keep the main idea clear and simple. Create a sense of curiosity and urgency, encouraging the reader to want to know more."

Jeannairene

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 30, 2023
The "Open loop" is a great concept, but too many people do it poorly. Like trying to watch what should be a 3-minute video to find out how the project turned out only to discover it's really a 12-minute video that has been drawn out way too long with bad acting and a woman with a low-cut shirt and a sexy voice saying "ooh look at how big it is." (by the way: she's talking about the steak she's cooking). Get to the point already.

As a former English professor, it looks like fluff and filler and really really has no value. How many times can I use the word "really" to get to my 500-word minimum? Or how about an essay that starts by posing a question to create the "open loop" but never answers the question leaving me hanging until I go someplace else to get the answer?

The next person had the answer, I'll buy from him instead.

The "open loop" has to be done well or not at all. I find that when people are trying to force it, it really just feels like they are wasting my time intentionally in hopes of keeping my attention, and that leaves a very bad impression. It feels spammy... untrustworthy. I don't know about you, but I filter out all the spam I can and ignore the rest.

This post was really close. I almost left, but then I noticed something that kept me reading. The writer used the technique in his writing to model the method. And he got to the point before I left.

Years ago I spoke at a conference. I started my talk by sharing a story about how my son was told by his dad to "be a man" when he got hit in the head by a baseball. The example led to a discussion on how men aren't allowed to cry in many types of literature. No one cared about my son's story except that it created an "open loop" It was the equivalent of an opening paragraph that presented the topic and went directly into the point. The talk was a success but the part I remember most was this, "I loved how you circled back around to your son at the end." I made sure to close the loop.

I can't express this enough. You have to open the loop, get to the point, and then close the loop. To follow this writer's example, there is nothing worse than investing in a really good Netflix series that just stops because ratings didn't warrant another season leaving me hanging.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Would you call this outreach message an open loop?

Seen you had 14 Google reviews, built an app that might help you book more jobs through-of-mouth.

Looking for a carpet cleaner to test it at no cost.

Open for more info?

TheWalker

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 3, 2021
Thank you very much for the post, it is very helpful and a great guide when writing a text/story next time that really needs to grab the readers attention.

Are you at a point where this happens naturally for you and you just can write it naturally and within the normal flow or do you need still to stop and go very consciously about your headlines or openings?
Do you make a list of ones you most like and then choose one and go for it?

I seem to have a bit the issue, that I don't go as consciously about this as I should and have the feeling it should come naturally whilst I'm writing things I want users to be engaged with.

kaydenmichael

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 2, 2023

OMG, will Cersei die?

INSIDERS THREAD...

Free samples.

This is awesome! I can appreciate the Netflix analogy so hard. It's so true; and as long as you deliver on the promise/answer the cliffhanger, I see no issues with it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.