The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A little unsure about the lending part in The Millionaire Fastlane.

Anything related to investing, including crypto

VigilantCMDR

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 16, 2019
Hello,

I read the book back in August. I haven't been on the forum in a while as I started to seriously put some time into my website. Today alone, that website generated me $40. I don't expect that to be consistent everyday, but I need to know what my next steps are.

Obviously leaving it in a savings account at 1% APR isn't a horrible idea, but it's not generating anything really worth my time and it's just a sidewalker strat.

In the Millionaire Fastlane MJ DeMarco talks about how he makes 8% interest lending his money to people. I was wondering if @MJ DeMarco could maybe come and elaborate on how he's doing that, or if any of you have experiences with it and how you go about it.

Truth is, I just want to make around 1 million, then just set it in the bank and make like anywhere from 5-8% interest on it. I want a solid $40k a year to live on that I get from the interest so I can just live "comfortably" and not have to work. I just want to relax and have fun in life. Is this a good way to do it?

Thank you all for your help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Research 'hard money lending'; some real estate investors do deals that are cash only and time sensitive and they need the money now, so they'll borrow hundreds of K at high interest rates to make it happen.

Although if you don't currently have money in the bank there's really no point in having this info now.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
talks about how he makes 8% interest lending his money to people.

Wuh? I don't recall ever saying that.

hen just set it in the bank and make like anywhere from 5-8% interest on it.

No bank pays 5-8%. Not sure what book you read, but it doesn't sound like mine. Otherwise, there is a comprehension issue.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
In the Millionaire Fastlane MJ DeMarco talks about how he makes 8% interest lending his money to people. I was wondering if @MJ DeMarco could maybe come and elaborate on how he's doing that, or if any of you have experiences with it and how you go about it.

Truth is, I just want to make around 1 million, then just set it in the bank and make like anywhere from 5-8% interest on it. I want a solid $40k a year to live on that I get from the interest so I can just live "comfortably" and not have to work. I just want to relax and have fun in life. Is this a good way to do it?

Thank you all for your help!

I think you're referring to LendingClub?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Getting passive income by investing or lending in safe things that give 2-10% is what you do AFTER you've made your million.

I'd focus more on making that million and figure out what you're going to do with it later.

Though I'm guessing you don't live in the USA as $40k/yr you can survive off of sure, but it doesn't exactly leave much room for fun.

VigilantCMDR

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 16, 2019
@MJ DeMarco "
Even in this low-interest-rate environment I can find safe investment yields in the 4%–6% range, some tax-free. While most people shudder at the thought of an interest rate increase, I love it. I get a pay raise. A 1% interest rate hike translates into thousands per month for me. And since inflation rises in unison with interest rates, my income has an element of inflation protection. If inflation rises, so do interest rates. So how does all of this become a reality? I created a passive income stream via my Internet businesses (a business money
tree seedling), which funded my passive income system from lending. While my Internet business was 85% passive (yes, I had to work several hours per week), my lending passivity is 99.5%. I do virtually nothing and the checks arrive."

This specific passage, I was wondering if you could please share how to keep that passive income coming.

Thank you! :)

VigilantCMDR

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 16, 2019
I make around 9-11% on a portion of my cash and retirement funds by lending. These are loans secured by real estate, so they are relatively safe short-term, and much more than relatively safe long-term. The process for making these loans is quite simple, and there isn't a lot of overhead or management involved.

The downside -- like with any lending/investing -- is that you have to have some level of expertise in the assets that you're lending against. If you have a decent amount of cash that you want to put to work for some safe returns in the 10% range, it may be worth spending some time learning about real estate investing and how to lend to investors.

How did you go about getting that setup? Do you just contact your bank you're with or is there a big company to use?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You are wasting your time looking for returns on money you don't have. Kick that money making into high gear. Then you can worry about what to do with it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I can find safe investment yields in the 4%–6% range

Yes, but you claimed I said 8%.

Read Unscripted . It doesn't get any clearer than what I wrote in there, I believe it is Chapter 48. I'm not gonna rewrite something I've already written.

You are wasting your time looking for returns on money you don't have. Kick that money making into high gear. Then you can worry about what to do with it.

Amen.

VigilantCMDR

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 16, 2019
Yes, but you claimed I said 8%.

Read Unscripted . It doesn't get any clearer than what I wrote in there, I believe it is Chapter 48. I'm not gonna rewrite something I've already written.

Amen.

Oh okay, I didn't know if you covered it more in Unscripted sorry. I'll start reading it tonight, thank you!

VigilantCMDR

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 16, 2019
Getting what set up?

Simple process:

1. Find someone that needs money;
2. Get them to sign a contract to repay that money, and get good collateral in case they don't;
3. Give them the money;
4. Wait for them to repay (or take the collateral).

#1 I do through my network.
#2 I have an attorney or title company do for me.
#3 I have an attorney or title company do for me.
#4 should happen automatically.

Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!