The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Day In The Life Of You

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've been watching these forums, as people come and go, while I work on my projects. If it is to be assumed that we are all working on businesses, projects, investments, etc that put us in the fast lane (or keep you there), what does your day look like?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Mine

I suppose I can answer my own question!

I get up between 6-7AM, throw some cereal at my kids, grab some coffee and head online.

When my kids head back to school in a couple weeks, I'll get them ready, drop them off, and head to the gym (I take them with me now).

Then my day will be about meeting people, gathering content for my SBXLII site, and working to get promoted online and offline. (As well as keep going with NLL and RW)

Kids, more food throwing, bed and back online, with watching the occasional football game out and about with lots of networking mixed in!

Thats my life in the fast lane for the next few months!

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
I don't know that I would consider myself in the fast lane but more like in a construction zone. Since I am involved in a profession, I spend the majority of my time involved with that while supporting my family. During the rest of my time, I like to read. I read Businessweek and Forbes magazines cover to cover when they come out. I also read other investing and business books periodically. Then I also work on other investments as they require time.

Currently working on managing 6 sfh. Just starting a project with a friend to develop a small strip center (just big enough for his printing business and one tenant). Have agreement on the land to close in August, just waiting for financing. I am looking forward to learning a lot about the development process. And I manage my paper investments (stocks/options) as needed.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
my day

normally starts at 5:30 a.m. spending time reading forums or some kind of article while drinking coffee and planning my day. I then go down to my first first commercial real estate venture ( an old building downtown that I am renovating) and check out progress and leave notes for workers. From there I go to my day job and then check in periodically via phone with my business partner and my manager ( I own a restaurant). I then typically stop back at the building one more time during the day and then hit the office to do paperwork for both my business and my day job. And of course on some days I physically go to the resaturant, this is typically on the weekends.
Frankly as I sit here and think about it, there really isnt a typical day for me. Between the restaurant, caterings, my day job and the building (which is about 3 weeks away from being completed and renters moving in) each day is really different. Things change all the time and I have to bounce back and forth between things all the time. Some days one venture dominates more than the others and some days the day job rules. The only typical thing that consist of my day is that I get up and go to work 7 days on achieving financial freedom.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Man typing this makes me realize I need to do more during the day... Sometimes we just get lazy.

-----------------------------

7am -Wake up, watch TV, feed dogs, eat breakfast.

9am -Go to "work"

10am -Get a call from SteveO wanting to play golf

1pm -Play golf or go home and take a nap

6pm -Come home, feed dogs, do online stuff

2am -Go to sleep

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Lol

Yeah Kdog- and that 7AM get up and work stuff is recent too! lol

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Well this is the summer which means I write.

A typical day (Monday - Friday) is...

8 am - 9:15 am
Wake up and help get the hubby out the door (he's not a morning person so I lay out his clothes and make him breakfast plus give him that rah rah, sell, sell, sell speach every salesperson needs to start off the day)

9:15 am - 6 pm
Reread what I wrote the previous day, and the chapter I have to edit today (on draft 2)
Rewrite today's chapter
Write a post for NoLimitsLadies
Write a post for ClientK
Lately do some sort of promotion for the May 2008 book launch
Check whether any of my stock buy or sell orders have been filled
Read up on any breaking news on my stocks
Etc.

6 pm -
Make and eat dinner
Check voicemail (I don't answer the phone while writing)

7 pm - 9 pm -
Its online marketing time
Post some comments.
Write an ezine article.
Send a few emails.
That sort of thing

9 pm - 11 pm
Watch the business news while on the exercise bike
Cool down while watching one of my favorite analyst shows
(if covering an area I invest in)

11 pm - 2 pm
Read either print or online.

: )

futuremills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 29, 2007
SoCal
since i just read RDPD 3 days ago and decided to make a change this is how my days go:
wake up
cardio
read a book(write now i just started (RD guide to investing)
lift weights
browse around on forums/read some more/talk to the gf
bed time.

Ahhh the life of a recent college grad that can not get a job is great in a way, gives me plenty of time to read and research.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
11AM - Wake up.
Noon - 4PM - Internet, eat, relax.
4PM - 10PM - Baseball or basketball, hang with friends, eat dinner.
10PM - 2AM - Internet, relax, read occasionally. Try to learn.

Sounds great doesn't it? Yeah, too bad I'm not in the fast lane. The summer's great for a high school student! Hopefully this schedule won't change much when I'm older and actually IN the fastlane!

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
8:30 - Wake up...earlier if needed.
9:00 - Work until noon.
Noon - Eat/play games or poker until 1:00, or skip it if needed.
1:00 - Work until 5:00, or later as is needed.
5:00 - Do things with the wife and puppy (movies, walks, gym, watch TV) or sometimes I just play games on the computer until 10:00.
10:00 - Start getting ready for bed.

We're just living life for the time being. She's in college and we're working on improving our real estate assets to where they're more profitable. Most days seem about the same. On the weekends we try to find time to go to the beach or a movie.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
11AM - Wake up.
Noon - 4PM - Internet, eat, relax.
4PM - 10PM - Baseball or basketball, hang with friends, eat dinner.
10PM - 2AM - Internet, relax, read occasionally. Try to learn.

Sounds great doesn't it? Yeah, too bad I'm not in the fast lane. The summer's great for a high school student! Hopefully this schedule won't change much when I'm older and actually IN the fastlane!

Why wait? Nothing says you can't move on an idea now! Age is no barrier

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Why wait? Nothing says you can't move on an idea now! Age is no barrier

I'd like to start now, but unfortunately, I don't really have anyone who can support me. My dad refuses to support these ventures because he just thinks it's some more of my ridiculous thinking. Shocking...he doesn't trust me. Now, I'm really just working more on building up some capital to begin investing in the future; probably when I'm in college.

futuremills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 29, 2007
SoCal
I'd like to start now, but unfortunately, I don't really have anyone who can support me. My dad refuses to support these ventures because he just thinks it's some more of my ridiculous thinking. Shocking...he doesn't trust me. Now, I'm really just working more on building up some capital to begin investing in the future; probably when I'm in college.

thats how it is for me now, my parents tell me to wake up and get a real job now that i graduated. they want me to get that 34k a year job

futuremills

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 29, 2007
SoCal
34k per year sounds like a good amount to start investing with. Are you doing something right now that makes more money?

It would be cool if i could land one of those entry level jobs but the competition is tough. I have prob sent out 100 resumes and went on only 4 interviews with no call backs. then i decided to read RDPD last week and my mentality has changed. I do not even wanna take one of those full time jobs. Id rather take in a part time if i had to that way i can work on the web and read full time:hurray:

BlackHollow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 31, 2007
Northern Colorado
Up a 5am, coffee and eggs. Check email, eBay and Paypal. Print off anything I need to ship that has sold from eBay, or sold from a couple of auto enthusiasts forums I advertise my parts on.

Start work at my job at 7am. The brunt of my required daily work is done by 9am or so. From then until 4:30pm, I am free to work on my own projects as long as I take care of any company business that comes up during the day. It's nice working for a close friend.

After work, I go home and spend time with the kiddos. That time is very important to me. My wife works late week mids, so when she leaves for work the kids are going to bed at the same time. Once they are sound asleep I head out to the shop and either fabricate parts or other metal items that are sold, or stuff that will be for stock. If I am not in the shop, I am either designing or re-designing stuff in CAD, or searching the net on various automotive forums trying to find the next item to make. Things that people want, but no one else is making. M-F bedtime for me is between 11pm - 11:30pm

Saturdays while my wife sleeps (she gets home when I am getting up), I spend my time with the kids....playing learning games and reading. During their nap time I continue with design work and searching for new stuff to make (nap time gives me about 3-4 hours to accomplish this). Sundays are our family time. We either do stuff together at home during the summer, or go fishing, hiking or jet skiing. During the winter months we are snowmobiling usually every weekend.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Adventures in Sleep Deprivation . . .

Great question, Erin! :)

Hmm . . . when does the day start?

12-2 am- Our 11 mo old KT has been waking up (crying out) and that wakes me up (I do the night shift w/her). Most times she can settle herself back down, so I just lay there staring at the ceiling for 10 minutes until I'm sure she's out again.

2-6 am- Usually feed her once sometime between 2 am and 6 am. After that, try to get her to go back to sleep. Usually takes 40-90 min total for feeding and settling down.

8/9 am- Wake up when the contractors start calling, walk to the jobsite and go over things w/them.

8-11 am- I'm on the phone a lot from, ordering things, talking to folks like mortgage brokers and inspectors (seems like we're constantly buying or looking at props . . .). And I also field calls from the Inn, and sometimes go over (it's across the street).

11 am-1 pm- If KT's not in day care and mom has the day shift, I'll sometimes try to give Sharon a break around 11 or so (KT's nap time). I put her in the car and she zonks out. I bring my PC, so I grab some fast food and work on plan drawings for permits. Also make calls to ask my contractors and the bldg dept about things that need to be in the drawings.

1 to 5 pm- I do any number of things, from signing docs or other paperwork w/Sharon, to shopping for stuff for the construction projects (or the Inn), to caling and or ordering other stuff online. Also check out the job sites, talk on the phone w/contractors, and work on "to do" lists for the next day for all the contractors.

Noon: Two days a week we have staff meetings at noon (different staff, one on Mon, one on Fri).

3:30-4:00 pm- If I'm wiped out, sometimes I'll take a 30-45 min power nap. Perfect amount of time to recharge (I squeeze in about 1-2 naps/week).

5-6 pm- I usually chill out, spending time w/Mom & KT.

6:30 pm- Mom feeds KT, and I sit in the living room and catch up on emails.

7 or 8 pm- Mom leaves to take a break, and I start my night shift. I play w/KT until she starts rubbing her eyes and yawning (she's running and climbing now-- keeps me on my toes! :)

8:30 or 9 pm- I'm changing KT into her PJs, doing the diaper thing, and feeding her 6-9 oz of formula.

9:15-9:45 pm- She falls asleep in my arms (kinda puts my whole life into perspective, lemme tell ya).

9:30 or 10 pm- Carry her to her crib, set her down gently so as not to wake her up.

9 pm - ?- Work on drawings or emails until I pass out (usually sometime between 11:00 pm and 2 am). The other night I got less than 20 min of sleep before KT woke up for her feeding-- that night I finally went to sleep at 3:30.

And y'kow what?

I'm lovin this.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Trying to figure out how in the heck I'm gonna handle 2 kids, since we're planning on having at least one more!

Funny how so much of my day cycles around our daughter. Such a change, and yet, it feels so natural to me. Weird.

Despite the fact that I'm making it sound like I spend all my time w/KT, we've just completed another house (took 7 mos), and we've got 2 more lined up. And another huge project we've been working on now for 2+ yrs.

Since I'm a rehabber, I can't remember-- for those of you who were at the RD get together-- does that make me a slimeball, or a f*cking loser? :smilielol:

I can never remember all of RK's technical terms for what I do . . .

-Russ H.

Oops-- forgot to add: Our live-in innkeeper left July 5th. So 2 nights a week, I'm at the inn overnight, doing the night shift. We just hired a new live in-- she starts in 2-3 weeks. Wa-hoo! :)

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Since I'm a rehabber, I can't remember-- for those of you who were at the RD get together-- does that make me a slimeball, or a f*cking loser? :smilielol:

I can never remember all of RK's technical terms for what I do . . .

-Russ H.

I think you fall in the "stupid" category but I can't remember the exact definitions for each category... oh, and if you also go after appreciation then you get your picture in the website for total losers

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Trying to figure out how in the heck I'm gonna handle 2 kids, since we're planning on having at least one more!

You grow with each one.... your capacity to juggle things, your heart, your ability to manage time (or, more appropriately, multitask)

I thought I was SO BUSY with one.
Then I had two. I adjusted
Then I had another. She was a breeze...
We are getting licensed to be foster parents... I wonder what will come with that... And if you had asked my 10 years ago - when my first was a baby I would have told you that you're crazy - there is no way I would have that many kids.

but your standards change too.

The shirt doesn't have to match the socks anymore
Heck.... the socks don't have to match eachother anymore...:eek:
The food can still be eaten even if it has been dropped to the floor

you get the idea.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Yep. It's amazing how much of our inviolable parenting "rules" we've tossed out the window in just the past 11 months! Live and learn.

Not sure if it was you at last year's RD get together, but I remember someone saying:

"With the first one, you're very careful. By the second one, it's the three second rule (if food falls on the floor and you pick it up within 3 seconds, no harm done). And by the third, it's "Boys wear pink, right?" ;)

-Russ H.

PS I hear Sharon Lechter's going to pursue teaching RD philosophy to kids and families. Perhaps it won't be called RD perse, as it sounds like RK and KK want it all.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
"With the first one, you're very careful. By the second one, it's the three second rule (if food falls on the floor and you pick it up within 3 seconds, no harm done). And by the third, it's "Boys wear pink, right?" ;)

Yup, that was me.. hehehe.

I laugh because it really is true!!

I read that about Sharon Lechter leaving. Good for her. I'm interested to see what she does next. It is a great mission that she has - one I am interested in myself. Financial education of our kids is such an important issue these days - and they are not getting it in schools!

Doug and I have kicked around the idea of writing a childrens series with a financial message. Of course, add it to the list of all the things that need to be done! ;)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
financial ed for kids, great!!!

I read that about Sharon Lechter leaving. Good for her. I'm interested to see what she does next. It is a great mission that she has - one I am interested in myself. Financial education of our kids is such an important issue these days - and they are not getting it in schools!

I showed the richkidsmartkid.com website to my 4-yrs old and she loves the story of Jesse the little rat that sells ice cream. She kept playing with the little rats from my Cashflow game, so I showed her the website so she would leave us alone to play the game.

Well, she decided to go with mommy the next day to the grocery store to buy the ingredients for cup cakes, bake them (with help, of course) and then sell them for $1 to her friends from her play date.
Three moms where excited about the idea and bought some from her, another one decided that it was cute, took the cup cake and eat it and pretended to pay her a dollar. My wife told her later that it was for real, that she was selling them to buy some toy, and this mom was kind of surprised (actually, really surprised) about it, we could tell that she thought that the idea of teaching kids about money was outrageous. In any case, she decorated them, resisted the temptation of eating the cup cakes herself, made three or four dollars profit (of course I absorbed the cost) and then took the money and put it in a piggy bank to buy her toy later.

I used to think that a 4-yrs old would not be able to grasp the concept of money, so it seems I was wrong.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kids do the darndest things . . .

andviv- Wow, what a great story!

Here's one from my brother:

His son, John (my godson) is a bit entrepreneurial. One day, this 5 year old gathered a bunch of pencils from around the house, walked out the front door, and started going door to door.

He'd ring the bell at a neighbor's house, and when someone answered, he'd say in his cutest voice, "Would you like to buy a pencil?"

When the startled neighbor asked how much, his answer was, "How much have you got?" (!)

Apparently he made it down about 3 or 4 houses before one of the neighbors called my brother to tell him what was going on (no one had any idea John had even left-- yikes!)

I see a bright future for this boy. :)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
ATW-

A series of children's books with a financial moral would be fantastic!

I joke about all the things I'm going to get done around here "in my copius free time" ;)

But still-- why not make it part of your blog?

Kids stories are so short-- you could do a blog on this, and ask for illustrators.

Just a thought . . .

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bob-

Our place would always be open for something like this. :)

As was mentioned in the past, the best time of year for this ($ wise) is Jan, or early Feb, as airfares are cheap, and lodging is HALF of what it costs during the peak season.

We'd offer special rates at the Inn, but we could also work with some of the nearby motels for those wanting to do things cheaper.

Did you know that Sharon Lechter was considering opening up a B&B/Horse ranch? We talked about it 2 years ago at the get together.

Maybe we could entice her out here ;)

Or not. I'm a bit burnt on putting in lots of blood sweat and tears and getting my butt hairs singed. :smash:

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Bob-

Our place would always be open for something like this. :)

-Russ H.

Sounds good to me! I'd love to see the Inn! Should we start organizin? I'm up for helping (in my limited Montana location)

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

yankees,

I've checked out a bunch of your posts. You are 16, and seem to have the right start for having a good mindset to want to get started. It seems that you are jumping around to a lot of different ideas trying to find one you can get going to build some capital to enable you to do things you want to do. seems very similar to me as i was growing up. obviously at 16 most people aren't sitting on much, if any money to play with. imo, to build some capital up i think you should try poker. i believe learning poker and learning to play profitably is one of the fastest ways in the world to build capital from very little. i'm not just saying it because it's my profession either. i've looked at a lot of different businesses/ways to build capital, and i think it's one of the fastest ways to build capital starting with close to nothing. you can start with $100 and have pretty much an infinite return. i definitely wouldn't suggest it if you didn't like to play though, because you won't improve like you should if you don't enjoy it.(saw poker was a hobby of yours though:thumbsup:) it's one of the things i rarely/and actually never see talked about for starting out to build wealth because most people assume you can only build wealth by ways people read in get rich books: real estate, stock market, etc.... there's a lot of things people don't think about because they don't hear about them. if i had heard of web businesses years ago like what MJ does I probably would have tried to go that route as well.(and may still) I didn't know anything about things like that though because I never read about it, so I didn't really know people could make money doing things like that. same with poker. 99%+ of people don't understand that you can actually study with poker, and create a huge edge for yourself against your opponents. Once you get to that point you are able to build money as much as you want to put the time in. If I was 16, and in your shoes, I would learn to play poker.(and I'm definitely not just recommending it because I'm biased)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.