The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

powderhound100

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Apr 20, 2014
@Vick I wanted to thank you for this thread. Over the last two days, I powered through the whole thing, you've been a huge inspiration. I am going through some of the struggles you were initially, but seeing how it worked out for you was amazing and super inspiring.

@Jake mentioned it, but I am curious where you are at with sales reps. Looking at your website it seems like there is definite room for growth on the retail front.

Last summer, I spent a little time working with a friend who had a water bottle company. He was talking to a few outdoor reps. I think this could be a huge opportunity for you. Happy to see if I can find any contacts for you.

I can see your glasses doing quite well at ski resorts and ski shops, which are usually bike shops in the summer. Also, if you can get in now with your glasses now, it will be much easier to sell in your goggles (looks like they will be launched next season.)

I am also a little connected in the Squaw Valley ski scene and could probably find other reps through my social circle (or by asking at my local shop.) I am friends with a few ski pros as well, I believe they already have goggle sponsors, but happy to talk to them.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance on the sales rep side....or the goggles side. I know the ski / action sports community much better than average and I'd love to help you out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Update.

So our loan was approved. Fairly quickly I might add. We went through BDC which is a loan bank in Canada specifically for entrepreneurs, we got approved for 100k.

So moving forward, 4 new styles now in production... finally.

And with the left over I'll be putting more into production. More on that later.

I'm still pondering whether I want to hire people yet. Not sure what I wanna do. Like what @MJ DeMarco and @biophase said, i'll know the answer when I'm ready. And right now I don't think I'm ready, I'm just finally getting my life back together and my business so, we'll see what the future holds. Right now it's not too important. What matters is sales. And I can do that myself. I've just recently hit over 3k a day again, and striving for that 6k mark.

On another note, I have another thread I've started for a personal "passion" project, which is my screenplay I've been working on for a couple years now. You can find the thread here if your interested in following> Screenplay Thread

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Update.

So our loan was approved. Fairly quickly I might add. We went through BDC which is a loan bank in Canada specifically for entrepreneurs, we got approved for 100k.

So moving forward, 4 new styles now in production... finally.

And with the left over I'll be putting more into production. More on that later.

I'm still pondering whether I want to hire people yet. Not sure what I wanna do. Like what @MJ DeMarco and @biophase said, i'll know the answer when I'm ready. And right now I don't think I'm ready, I'm just finally getting my life back together and my business so, we'll see what the future holds. Right now it's not too important. What matters is sales. And I can do that myself. I've just recently hit over 3k a day again, and striving for that 6k mark.

On another note, I have another thread I've started for a personal "passion" project, which is my screenplay I've been working on for a couple years now. You can find the thread here if your interested in following> Screenplay Thread
Alright @Vick, time for a serious question. What's your end game here? Are you hoping to exit in the near future or are you just using this as a lifestyle business?

Not trying to sound like a troll but it seems like the latter. And if so, that's great. If not, I'd love to hear how you're going to grow it to maximize your exit.

As an observer, it sounds like you're diversifying the product line becaise you need to stay on top of the latest styles and it makes sense to expand into women's glasses. But how are you going to take your sales to the next level? What's the next BIG reach for you that's outside of your comfort zone?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I feel like if I pull the trigger on this I'm gonna be stuck in an office environment again everyday. OR maybe I'll like it, OR maybe I wont. But it's not like I can just shut it off when i start it.

@Vick This is a limiting belief. You can do whatever you damn well please. You just have to engineer the environment to suit your needs.

I just took on a full time warehouse manager, and he's known upfront that he has to be comfortable working by himself, without supervision, as I like to work from wherever, and also travel for months at a time.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that when he's doing all the day to day shit, I'm free to do the really effective things with my time... like make a 30min phone call that makes me tens of thousands. And he knows this. And I share my wins with him. It doubles as showing him that I'm actually busting more a$$ than he is, even when I'm not around.

And he's actually flourished with the independnce. He's a type-A, go-getter, that likes to work on his own, and does better when I get out of his way. He's kicking a$$, and I'm always sure to let him know that.

collin_e

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Apr 12, 2018
Northeastern Pennsylvania
I was scrolling through Facebook and an ad caught my attention. Pretty cool seeing an ad for a project, when you know the entire work being out into it. I’ll share it!

One thing to note; a couple people are complaining about not getting a contacted back about them. He was asking if they fit over regular sunglasses. I would assume that you could see the comments!

Attachments

• 101631CC-7BA6-45A6-9395-E60445427988.png
    101631CC-7BA6-45A6-9395-E60445427988.png
    371.6 KB · Views: 95

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Alright @Vick, time for a serious question. What's your end game here? Are you hoping to exit in the near future or are you just using this as a lifestyle business?

Not trying to sound like a troll but it seems like the latter. And if so, that's great. If not, I'd love to hear how you're going to grow it to maximize your exit.

As an observer, it sounds like you're diversifying the product line becaise you need to stay on top of the latest styles and it makes sense to expand into women's glasses. But how are you going to take your sales to the next level? What's the next BIG reach for you that's outside of your comfort zone?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
This somehow reminds me of a Stage 2-3 conflict in Masterson's Ready, Fire, Aim.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Holy hell what an awesome thread! I was searching the forums for some insight into Facebook and Instagram advertising and I ended here... just spent like an hour and a half blowing through the whole thing :)

AMAZING stuff Vick! This is especially inspiring to me because right now I'm just on Amazon (about to launch another product) and my aim is to actually focus the majority of my sales through my own website even though Amazon is pretty comfy right now.

I think my product will do amazing once I get my marketing on point - which I know will be a process.

Right now I am taking both Alex Becker's course and Billy Gene's so I'll let you guys know how that helps.

I know that they aren't going to give me all of the answers, it's just for marketing inspiration... and it's well worth the rather cheap price IMO.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

What's your end game here?

I don't know, to be honest.

Part of me wants to create a "company" and grow. And another part just keeps saying "your doing fine, expand when you want".

Are you hoping to exit in the near future or are you just using this as a lifestyle business?

So as it seems, this is a lifestyle biz for now.

But how are you going to take your sales to the next level?

Idk... Just trying to be better... Cooler. One day at a time.

What's the next BIG reach for you that's outside of your comfort zone?

Hiring people. Building something to where I know it could be... Going back to work.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I was scrolling through Facebook and an ad caught my attention. Pretty cool seeing an ad for a project, when you know the entire work being out into it. I’ll share it!

One thing to note; a couple people are complaining about not getting a contacted back about them. He was asking if they fit over regular sunglasses. I would assume that you could see the comments!

We see everything. And answer everything. Some people are just instant gratification. We do have lives, and my wife answers every email that comes in.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Super excited to see the winter sports products come out! As you can tell from my pro pic that's sorta my thing. With the goggles are you going with interchangeable lenses for high/low light or a single polarized lens?

Also, you're advertising on facebook a bunch but why not google? I just looked up your brand on google and here are the results: upload_2018-7-5_8-2-15.png

Looks like aspen eyewear is bidding on your brand keywords but you aren't. You still show top of page but if another competitor bids on your brand then you will be pushed down.

Another search for "polarized sunglasses" shows this:
upload_2018-7-5_8-5-5.png
I zoomed out a bit to show all the google shopping results. Only 1 sponsored search result and half the google shopping results are brands I've never heard of or have little/no reviews. Seems like there might be some potential on Google for advertising as well.

Food for thought while you continue trying to scale up your FB ads to where they were.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like aspen eyewear is bidding you your brand keywords but you aren't.

It could also be a generic phrase search for "eyewear".

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Super excited to see the winter sports products come out! As you can tell from my pro pic that's sorta my thing. With the goggles are you going with interchangeable lenses for high/low light or a single polarized lens?

Also, you're advertising on facebook a bunch but why not google? I just looked up your brand on google and here are the results: View attachment 20087

Looks like aspen eyewear is bidding on your brand keywords but you aren't. You still show top of page but if another competitor bids on your brand then you will be pushed down.

Another search for "polarized sunglasses" shows this:
View attachment 20088
I zoomed out a bit to show all the google shopping results. Only 1 sponsored search result and half the google shopping results are brands I've never heard of or have little/no reviews. Seems like there might be some potential on Google for advertising as well.

Food for thought while you continue trying to scale up your FB ads to where they were.

I've dabbled in Google ads in the past. Never really saw decent results. But ya. I may have another go at it. I get such great results from social advertising. To me it seems that all my ad money should be spent there. Considering the results. Maybe I'll throw a few hundred a day it for awhile. See how they do

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
UPDATE...

So I'm gonna make this quick. I have little time, and this is my first poke at potentials. Before we start weeding through Resumes.

We've decided to start a company.

And we're looking for people.

We have a 1/4 million at our disposal, and more. IF we need it, upwards of half a million.

And we don't have much time.

Anyone in the #Toronto #Ontario #Canada region email me if they are interested in growing EIGHT with us. If you know anyone that needs a job, and/or would be a great fit for our Brand, then please tag or let them know. We'll be going over Resumes shortly.

Email > Mark@iwear8.com

Best,

Mark
Mark@iwear8.com

@sparechange

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
Hi,
Just wanted to say THANK YOU. As many said, this thread is enough value for the INSIDERS's subscription. I loved it. Very inspiring! Cheers to you and good "luck" for your next adventure.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Update.
Alot goin on in my life... whats new.
Anyway.

4 new frames launch this week. Not gonna upload a ton of pics, just a few.
New frames below are called in order VAPOR, VEKTOR, VORTEX, and VLUX.
Super happy with how these turned out, and from a new supplier.
Obviously multiple variations in colors.

Anyway, here's some pics. :cool:

46.jpg 28.jpg 01.jpg 51.jpg 72.jpg 132.jpg 125.jpg 168.jpg 170.jpg

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Beautiful! I like the red one. That said, I personally still prefer the current ones on the site, the ones that have that Lamborghini look. Some pages back, I remember you had some really sleek female glasses, but seems you didn't release those. Those are truly pieces of art.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Beautiful! I like the red one. That said, I personally still prefer the current ones on the site, the ones that have that Lamborghini look. Some pages back, I remember you had some really sleek female glasses, but seems you didn't release those. Those are truly pieces of art.

Thanks
They're coming. Sometime down the road .

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
The new frames look awesome!

Are they still indestructible like your original frames?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I love the blue lens ones, that look kind of like aviators at the bottom.

As always, pieces of art!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
The new frames look awesome!

Are they still indestructible like your original frames?

Thanks
Metal frames aren't. Plastic fram is made from same material but I haven't tested its strength yet.
Not gonna be marketing these frames as "unbreakable"

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I love the blue lens ones, that look kind of like aviators at the bottom.

As always, pieces of art!

Thanks bud

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Something on your site isn't loading and its stopping everything else from displaying, I have to hit stop on every new page to get anything to show

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Something on your site isn't loading and its stopping everything else from displaying, I have to hit stop on every new page to get anything to show

Weird. That's a def problem. Works fine on my end. Where does it stop working?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.