The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

27 and life feels heavy!

Chocolate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,700%
Oct 1, 2020
UK
Hello!

Quick intro about me, I am 27 and female from the UK. I did terrible at school as I came from a very dysfunctional family so I ended with very bad grades which I thought was the end for me because school, society and parents drilled it into my head that bad grades meant bad job/ bad life FOREVER. So I ended up being a waitress for many years and did other jobs in between like office work which was 9-5, driving cars for people who are too drunk to drive, looking after animals (well mainly picking up their poop really......not so glamourous!) and looking after plants in a garden centre. Every single one of these jobs killed me inside because of the repetition, a monkey could do the tasks I did everyday because it was essentially very simple. All of these jobs were minimum wage and at the end of the day I was so exhausted from either being bored to death or from doing what felt a million steps a day that I could only collapse in the sofa. I have read the millionaire fastlane and currently reading unscripted . I totally agree with everything and have never bought anything on finance, I don't have a mortgage. (I live with my gran) I have no debts as I never went to uni but I still have barely anything in the bank account.
MJ says somewhere something like most people have loads of ideas for the fastlane but never act on it. Me I struggle to think of ideas and even as a 17 year old I thought to myself what could I invent to be rich? Throughout the years I have always tried to think of business ideas but sometimes I lose faith and hope with myself because I feel like I have the brain of the hill billy from the Simpsons!! I am a very hard worker and for a couple of years did 14 hour days. I absolutely love the books but reading it gives me a tinge of jealousy and disbelief that I will ever be capable as I have been all these years and still in the same position. I understand everything in the book but I don't know how to practice it in real life. I am not asking someone to give me their business idea but I guess I just don't know where to start!

Charlotte

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello!

Quick intro about me, I am 27 and female from the UK. I did terrible at school as I came from a very dysfunctional family so I ended with very bad grades which I thought was the end for me because school, society and parents drilled it into my head that bad grades meant bad job/ bad life FOREVER. So I ended up being a waitress for many years and did other jobs in between like office work which was 9-5, driving cars for people who are too drunk to drive, looking after animals (well mainly picking up their poop really......not so glamourous!) and looking after plants in a garden centre. Every single one of these jobs killed me inside because of the repetition, a monkey could do the tasks I did everyday because it was essentially very simple. All of these jobs were minimum wage and at the end of the day I was so exhausted from either being bored to death or from doing what felt a million steps a day that I could only collapse in the sofa. I have read the millionaire fastlane and currently reading unscripted . I totally agree with everything and have never bought anything on finance, I don't have a mortgage. (I live with my gran) I have no debts as I never went to uni but I still have barely anything in the bank account.
MJ says somewhere something like most people have loads of ideas for the fastlane but never act on it. Me I struggle to think of ideas and even as a 17 year old I thought to myself what could I invent to be rich? Throughout the years I have always tried to think of business ideas but sometimes I lose faith and hope with myself because I feel like I have the brain of the hill billy from the Simpsons!! I am a very hard worker and for a couple of years did 14 hour days. I absolutely love the books but reading it gives me a tinge of jealousy and disbelief that I will ever be capable as I have been all these years and still in the same position. I understand everything in the book but I don't know how to practice it in real life. I am not asking someone to give me their business idea but I guess I just don't know where to start!

Charlotte
Welcome. What a great username!

Maybe these might help?

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Hello!
If you don't mind to reading a few words. That could change how oyu think
Quick intro about me, I am 27 and female from the UK. I did terrible at school as I came from a very dysfunctional family so I ended with very bad grades which I thought was the end for me because school, society and parents drilled it into my head that bad grades meant bad job/ bad life FOREVER.
What can I say... Here nobody cares about grades. Things people care about here is value and help.
Change that thinking that getting bad grades was fault of someone else.

Just taking responsibility of everything that has your decisions involved is a great way of getting to the next step of success and being happy with yourself.

So I ended up being a waitress for many years and did other jobs in between like office work which was 9-5, driving cars for people who are too drunk to drive, looking after animals (well mainly picking up their poop really......not so glamourous!) and looking after plants in a garden centre. Every single one of these jobs killed me inside because of the repetition, a monkey could do the tasks I did everyday because it was essentially very simple.
For what kind of things did you use the money you made?

I know how tiring waitress jobs can be especially for women and if a bar is shady with a lot of men that don't have any manners.

MJ says somewhere something like most people have loads of ideas for the fastlane but never act on it. Me I struggle to think of ideas and even as a 17 year old I thought to myself what could I invent to be rich? Throughout the years I have always tried to think of business ideas but sometimes I lose faith and hope with myself because I feel like I have the brain of the hill billy from the Simpsons!!

If you think that you have brain of a hill billy then you have a brain like that. A lot it has to do with how you think of yourself and what you are capable of doing and how far are you willing to go to achieve goals of yours.

I am a very hard worker and for a couple of years did 14 hour days. I absolutely love the books but reading it gives me a tinge of jealousy and disbelief that I will ever be capable as I have been all these years and still in the same position. I understand everything in the book but I don't know how to practice it in real life. I am not asking someone to give me their business idea but I guess I just don't know where to start!

Stop producing problems in your head and start to produce IDEAS. Write them down even if they sound stupid.
And after you got some ideas down on the paper just pick one that seems the most logical and start to go step by step to turn this idea into something that you can see and touch.

D

Deleted68316

I am like you in some way. I am 33, did a lot of different jobs, lived around Europe and now in the USA.

But one thing remain: in the end, I feel I am still at the beginning. Everything I tried to change didn’t work.

It seems, now, that raw action is doing something positive. Together with “hanging out” with people here in the forum.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Hello!

Charlotte

Try something.

Tortoise

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 28, 2020
London, UK
Well done for getting on here and posting. Thinking about what you can do is the start.

You have a couple of advantages from what I can see. It sounds like your rent might be free / cheap, that puts you ahead of the vast majority of people who feel trapped in spending every waking hour just to pay the rent. You're young and have your life ahead of you to try ideas out without having to worry about messing up your career for a long long time. It sounds like you don't value you career to date very much so that makes it easier to just go for it!

In Unscripted there's an example of someone working in a coffee shop who took the initiative to open another branch for the business with their support. Whilst that may not be applicable I like the thinking out of the box nature of this.

DiamondDog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 3, 2016
Being 27 is not easy! It's that age where you start feeling that you don't make enough. I can definitely relate. (Tsk tsk. I'm 27).

And you know what? I went to Uni and got good grades, worked for top law firms, worked for a big oil company and all that... And I still felt dead inside. Every day I just couldn't wait to get home.

Now I have a business that doesn't make a killing yet but it pays the bills and some. But at least I no longer feel like I want to turn the office into a crime scene.

Like you, I feel like my bank account pitiful. I'm also moving to the UK soon and will lose all chance to work as a lawyer there. You and I are gonna be on an even playing field. I'll learn a skill from scratch and try to make it in a country I've never been to before.

If I can do it, then so can you.

JDE

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 11, 2017
Edmonton
I am also 27 and had the same thing, you need some Gary Vaynerchuk in your life haha. Listening to him shout at you about how 27 is actually incredibly young in this day and age and that you have nothing but opportunity ahead of you really got me fired back up. I listen to a lot of his podcasts now not necessarily because of the content, but more the mindset and the place he's coming from is incredibly optimistic especially around things like age.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ai6PO-Uow

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8jSIRlZ_g

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973cS7RUUa4

D

Deleted68316

Being 27 is not easy! It's that age where you start feeling that you don't make enough. I can definitely relate. (Tsk tsk. I'm 27).

And you know what? I went to Uni and got good grades, worked for top law firms, worked for a big oil company and all that... And I still felt dead inside. Every day I just couldn't wait to get home.

Now I have a business that doesn't make a killing yet but it pays the bills and some. But at least I no longer feel like I want to turn the office into a crime scene.

Like you, I feel like my bank account pitiful. I'm also moving to the UK soon and will lose all chance to work as a lawyer there. You and I are gonna be on an even playing field. I'll learn a skill from scratch and try to make it in a country I've never been to before.

If I can do it, then so can you.
That’s amazing man.

Wish you the best.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Hello!

Charlotte
You're not alone. I've heard from many people and from my own experience that between 25-30 is when adults experience the most pressure to be someone. You're "suppose" to have your life together by now and a family, a good career and your own home.

Zagrosi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 1, 2020
Judging by your post, it sounds like your main problem has been money spent, not money earnt.

Sometimes it really does boil down to the basics of personal finance and you just need to learn to save more. You can set more money aside as a minimum wage worker with good financial principles than someone that is earning more but has less financial awareness.

You need to leverage what little income you have. Find out where you're wasting money; stop eating out and cook from home. Live frugally. You're living with your grandmother in what I assume is her property, so you already have a huge head start. Once you set enough money aside, with the hours that you are working you can get into buy-to-let properties.

The property market doesn't care about your school grades, and at least this will give you some income to explore other business ideas with. The rental market is hectic right now with C0VlD-19 though, and property prises have risen in the UK due to stamp duty relief measures so take that into account. But that's a completely different area I won't even delve into here.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Chocolate no more excuses and pity party talk. you are incredible. AND you are among friends.
stand up tall. stretch. say out loud 'I AM AWESOME'. you got this.

start a progress thread and tag a few of us in there and let's get to work!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I did terrible at school as I came from a very dysfunctional family so I ended with very bad grades which I thought was the end for me because school, society and parents drilled it into my head that bad grades meant bad job/ bad life FOREVER.

This right here is indicative of a belief system that kept you down your entire life.

The nice thing is that you can change it now.

No matter what your family put you through, no matter what opportunities you missed out on in the past, no matter what society tells you about the way you should think about yourself, no matter how much you've suffered... you have the POWER to think for yourself and decide what YOU want to do.

You can choose to believe whatever you want about yourself. It starts with saying, "you know what? I AM responsible for my own life! My actions got me here, and my actions will get me out!"

You're not stupid because you got bad grades, and you're not a loser because you make minimum wage. You're a human being on her own path in life, and somehow it's led you here. Make the most of it.

Phil Yu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 25, 2020
USA, CA
I am also 27 and had the same thing, you need some Gary Vaynerchuk in your life haha. Listening to him shout at you about how 27 is actually incredibly young in this day and age and that you have nothing but opportunity ahead of you really got me fired back up. I listen to a lot of his podcasts now not necessarily because of the content, but more the mindset and the place he's coming from is incredibly optimistic especially around things like age.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ai6PO-Uow

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8jSIRlZ_g

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=973cS7RUUa4

Came here to say this.

pappaishere

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 8, 2020
Australia
I'm like you, but in the "past". 23 yo here.
Still working in a big company, 9-5.
Many ideas in my head, zero action to materialize, maybe is fear to fail, maybe I don't know where to start...
but if I continue in this mood, it's a daily death.
It's incredible how I can say to myself every time a new excuse.... like... I need to travel for improve my english because it's bad, if I don't speak properly english I can't do nothing etc etc....
I'm becoming a master procrastinator -____-
Anyone was in my position time ago?
I think one of the hugest part is start the business...

Schuylerc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 21, 2020
Hello!

Charlotte
Hello Charlotte, I hope you have read other suggestions about what to do. I would say start giving yourself positive affirmations at least because you are a hard worker! Now you just need to put that hard work into your own business. Start reading other books, forums, and start to network with others and see what you really want to do in your life. Go get what you want and never give up!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...