The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

240 is a magical number that can print money for you for a lifetime. Or you can ignore it and lose a fortune

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Awhile ago there was a garbageman who had worked in this profession for several years. I don't remember his name so I'll make one up: his name was Dave. Dave loved playing the lottery on occasion and actually ended up winning $15m. For the sake of argument, we'll assume he took home $7.5m after taxes. For the next 8 years, Dave lived like a king: buying expensive watches, alcohol, and hookers. But at the end, he was broke and had to go back to working as a garbageman. How could this happen with such a life-changing amount of money? Dave didn't understand the power of 240.

Mathematically, 240 doesn't have any special properties outside of being equal to 12*20. You finance dorks probably already know where I'm going with this but it might still be valuable to some. You see, if you take $7.5m and divide it by 240, it gives you the monthly amount you would get assuming a 5% yearly return: $31,250. Going back to Dave the garbageman: if Dave understood this lifetime money hack of 240, he could have realized that by spending $31,250 or less per month, he could live that lifestyle until his end. But being mathematically illiterate and thinking that $7.5m was such a large number that it equated to infinity cost Dave a lifetime of financial freedom. Anytime you want to calculate the lifetime monthly value of a nest egg amount, just divide it by 240.

Alternatively, if you have a monthly amount that you consider a comfortable exit, then simply multiply that number by 240. For example, if you could enjoy life living on $40,000 per month, then you would need $40,000*240 = $9.6m (after taxes)

Don't be like Dave. Understand this simple trick of converting money to its lifetime purchasing power via our magical number, 240.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great post, thanks for sharing.

Believe it or not, I never heard of this, does it account for taxes, or am I to assume this is post-tax?

if you could enjoy life living on $40,000 per month, then you would need $40,000*240 = $9.6m.

Then this would mean you need to earn $16,000,000 with 40% tax rates.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Awhile ago there was a garbageman who had worked in this profession for several years. I don't remember his name so I'll make one up: his name was Dave. Dave loved playing the lottery on occasion and actually ended up winning $15m. For the sake of argument, we'll assume he took home $7.5m after taxes. For the next 8 years, Dave lived like a king: buying expensive watches, alcohol, and hookers. But at the end, he was broke and had to go back to working as a garbageman. How could this happen with such a life-changing amount of money? Dave didn't understand the power of 240.

Mathematically, 240 doesn't have any special properties outside of being equal to 12*20. You finance dorks probably already know where I'm going with this but it might still be valuable to some. You see, if you take $7.5m and divide it by 240, it gives you the monthly amount you would get assuming a 5% yearly return: $31,250. Going back to Dave the garbageman: if Dave understood this lifetime money hack of 240, he could have realized that by spending $31,250 or less per month, he could live that lifestyle until his end. But being mathematically illiterate and thinking that $7.5m was such a large number that it equated to infinity cost Dave a lifetime of financial freedom. Anytime you want to calculate the lifetime monthly value of a nest egg amount, just divide it by 240.

Alternatively, if you have a monthly amount that you consider a comfortable exit, then simply multiply that number by 240. For example, if you could enjoy life living on $40,000 per month, then you would need $40,000*240 = $9.6m.

Don't be like Dave. Understand this simple trick of converting money to its lifetime purchasing power via our magical number, 240.
I like this.

Thank you for sharing this post.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
Great post, thanks for sharing.

Believe it or not, I never heard of this, does it account for taxes, or am I to assume this is post-tax?

Then this would mean you need to earn $16,000,000 with 40% tax rates.
Post tax, I guess you'd have to multiply by 400 to include the 40% tax rate. For example, 400*40,000 = 16m.

Last edited:

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
That is definitely him.

'Despite losing his fortune and being forced to return to manual labour, Carroll insists he wouldn't do anything different, saying that winning the lottery: "was the best 10 years of my life for a pound".

He added: "I don't look back with any regrets, that's for sure, I wouldn't want to turn the clock back."'

I didn't even know about his comments after the fact. I'm not sure if he's coping or if he doesn't understand that it could have lasted him a lifetime.

Last edited:

Marco L

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 6, 2017
Germany

Alternatively, if you have a monthly amount that you consider a comfortable exit, then simply multiply that number by 240. For example, if you could enjoy life living on $40,000 per month, then you would need $40,000*240 = $9.6m (after taxes)

Reminds of the magic 7% interest rate, at which the saved amount doubles every 10 years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
That is definitely him.

'Despite losing his fortune and being forced to return to manual labour, Carroll insists he wouldn't do anything different, saying that winning the lottery: "was the best 10 years of my life for a pound".

He added: "I don't look back with any regrets, that's for sure, I wouldn't want to turn the clock back."'

I didn't even know about his comments after the fact. I'm not sure if he's coping or if he doesn't understand that it could have lasted him a lifetime.

I'm from the UK and I understand Carrol's story a little bit deeper than just the headlines and the quotes. The fact is, as soon as he got the money everyone around him, from close family members to 'friends', started taking advantage of him. His problem was that he is a low-ambition kind of guy, he played the lottery but had zero ideas what he'd do with so much money.

The first person to really do him dirty was his uncle, who got him to store stolen power tools in Carroll's new mansion, which landed Carroll a short prison sentence. On top of this the media labelled him "King of the Chavs". A Chav is a derogatory word used to describe poor people who live on housing estates, much like calling some 'trailer trash' in America.

They hounded the poor guy, wrote stories about him almost daily and the paparazzi followed him around constantly. He attempted leaning into the "King of the Chavs" moniker, but ultimately the constant attention from the media, coupled with everyone trying to rip him off, got to him. At one point there were even stories that local gangsters were pressuring him for debts owed by dodgy family members.

In the end, he couldn't wait to get rid of his money, he said it was the happiest day of his life when the bank repossessed the last of his fast cars.

I do think the 240 equation is valuable, but I'm not sure it would have helped Carroll.

As a side note, the article referenced is by the Daily Mirror and they say "Man Dubbed King Of The Chavs...." As far as I can remember it was them who came up with the name in the first place, during their infamous "War on Chavs."

Also, gambling winnings aren't taxed in the UK so he got the full 9.7 million pounds into his bank account.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Post tax, I guess you'd have to multiply by 400 to include the 40% tax rate. For example, 400*40,000 = 16m.
What about making an online calculator?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I considered it but I thought it wouldn't be that valuable since it's so easy to do. Do you think it would provide enough value?
It's the tax stuff that makes it slightly trickier. Could be a good exercise though. Maybe you can create it with ChatGPT's help if you're not a coder?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.