The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2012 Beer & Pancakes

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Sounding like a jackass to people (like me) who were interested is a great way to keep it to the closed group you've got. Your call. Your event.

herein lies the problem with faceless forum communication. I highly doubt Russ was trying to be a jackass on the forum (he generally reserves that for in-person communication). He was only making the point that we hear a lot about people who say they want to come and then the should have come.

I would imagine it was not pinpointed at you directly, just anyone who makes these comments.

I personally learned a lot from the event and have implemented a few of the 'take-aways' already. These are the things you really only learn about when you are there. Writing about them is somewhat impersonal, but when you hear the source of the information face to face it somehow legitimizes the knowledge as practical rather than hypothetical.

We all have our own priorities. For some B&P is a priority. But I could easily imagine that if there were another conference, family event, meeting, etc. this would not take top spot.

Everyone must come to terms with their own priorities. But for those that didn't come and just sat at home because they didn't see the value in it, you missed the boat.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Wasn't able to make it this year due to class conflicts and my newborn, but already am planning on next year and it has a line in my budget. Planning on having it fully funded by the end of the summer.

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounding like a jackass to people (like me) who were interested is a great way to keep it to the closed group you've got. Your call. Your event.

I know *who* Russ is referring too and can guarantee it isn't in reference to you, or people who weren't even aware of this until the last moment ... every year for the past 5 years, history repeats itself .... like Cubs fans, they say "next year" year after year. In fact, when the event is initially announced, the interest level is usually around 200 people (People who say "I'm going!" [THE EVENT]) and when it boils down to going (making plans, buying the ticket, etc.[THE PROCESS]) only 40 people attend ... it's a perfect exemplification of the EVENT / PROCESS dichotomy where it is mindlessly easy to say "I'm going" and not so easy to follow through and actually do it.

My point is NOT to call anyone out, but just want folks to pay close attention to why success is so hard as it relates to events and process -- saying things, and doing things, are two different things.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A picture from the event to lighten the mood...

:smxB:

427594_2506515796966_1675177951_1565941_957642723_n.jpg

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
lol, hey I took that pic! :)

And in response to the discussion going on, as you can see I joined the forum last February. I learned about B & P 2011 just before it happened but felt that since I had just joined, it wouldn't be appropriate to attend, even though I could have. So I made a note that I was going to attend B & P 2012. And I did. And it was everything that I expected it to be...and more. And now it is definitely a priority for me and I plan on making it back every year if possible. It all boils down to priorities and seeing the value in the experience. All I know is that it is a high priority for me now. ;)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
"The wannabes say "Oh, next year!" or "Wish I'd gone!"."

Actually, this event is all volunteer.

So each year, the attendees make it what it is. Presentations and after hours discussion is what makes this event so amazing. And that's all about who is there-- nothing planned or scripted.

And each year, it's different.

As others have pointed out-- I am not singling out anyone-- even the "writing conference" person. This is the 7th year we've done this get together, and as MJ points out, each and every year, there are people who wanna go, and don't. And each year, others say (afterwards) "Dang, I shoulda gone!".

I'm not a huge fan of Woody Allen these days, but I do love one quote of his:

"Eighty percent of success is showing up"

Again-- none of what I've said is meant to be mean, or nasty, or condescending/holier than thou. Those who have met me know this. My writing tends to have more bite than my real life huggy bear personality-- hard to do hugs online.

Sorry if my comments pooped on anyone's parade. Only wanted to (again) point out that there are doers, and those who do not.

-Russ H.

yoda-do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try.jpg

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
I think Bobby, MJ, and Russ summed it up nicely, but let me just throw in my two cents.

Clearly, there is no substitute for meeting in person. Words and emotions get lost in translation online.

I just read MJ's book and joined the forum in January. Yes, about a month before B&P. Even so, everyone at the event treated me as an equal. They were all willing to openly share their knowledge and experience with me. It definitely did not feel like a "closed group." Besides, I counted at least 6 other first-time attendees, which is a significant percentage (30%?), due to the smaller turnout this year.

The sad thing is that people pay thousands of dollars to attend heavily marketed events that are filled with wannabes. I hate to admit that I was once guilty of shelling out over $5k for a real estate bootcamp, and that didn't even include travel. B&P is the antithesis of those other crappy workshops (ironically, there was one of those events happening at the hotel next door).

I think I am addicted to B&P after attending my first one. I can't wait until B&P 2013. In fact, would anyone like to get together sooner...? B&P Vegas or Napa edition! :cheers:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sorry for the use of the word jackass. That was pretty strong for someone I don't know. Typically, people have to get to know me personally before they call me a jackass. I hope some day you have that pleasure. :)

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I think I am addicted to B&P after attending my first one. I can't wait until B&P 2013. In fact, would anyone like to get together sooner...? B&P Vegas or Napa edition! :cheers:

In June my wife and I are moving to Vegas for a month and are going to be street performers for fun. If someone wants to head down that way, we'd be happy to meet up. Or if anyone happens to go to the geographic center of the US...:rofl:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
danoodle - freemont street area? what are you going to do (what type of performing?) what a blast.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
A picture from the event to lighten the mood...

:smxB:

2887-2012-beer-pancakes-427594_2506515796966_1675177951_1565941_957642723_n.jpg

For me the funniest part of this picture is $19.95 for a bottle of Champagne... thought this was the Fastlane? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
danoodle - freemont street area? what are you going to do (what type of performing?) what a blast.
Was thinking just on the strip, maybe somewhere near E Flamingo Rd. We would most likely do something musical. We would have a keyboard or two or I could whip out the ol' tuba...;)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
For me the funniest part of this picture is $19.95 for a bottle of Champagne... thought this was the Fastlane? ;)

I think they spent more when they went to the VIP room . . . same bottle of bubbly, tho . . . :banana:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

True, there was talk of a "Wine and Waffles" event . . . in Napa, at our B&B . . .

Not sure how much interest for that, given how much it costs to get to the Bay Area.

But if we planned for the slowest weekend of the year, I'm guessing I could talk Sharon into doing all of our rooms for $99/night ($120 w/taxes & charges). We have a wine cellar that seats 40. That's about perfect, given the size of our group.

Is there interest?

I realize MJ prolly wouldn't be there (too far away from home).

How about the other Phoenicians? You willing to go that far?

(hint to Kenric-- Phoenix to Napa Valley is a great road trip ;) )

-Russ H.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

That's just it, we have impressed each other already. No need to waste money on the expensive stuff to look cool, just get the cheap shit and get to business.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
True, there was talk of a "Wine and Waffles" event . . . in Napa, at our B&B . . .

Is there interest?
-Russ H.
I'll be the first one to register!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Good to see some familiar faces on that picture, are you guys considering doing any merchandising? I'd be interested in getting even notes from a couple of the presentations listed.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
Is there interest?

I have never been to Napa so I would definitely be interested! Obviously depends on the time, price seems way more than reasonable. Might even be able to convince the Mrs. to go...:p

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

...And that's why I love this group so much (and I know you feel the same way too Jon, but for those who haven't been to the event here's my little tangent about why I love this meetup).

The cool thing about everyone in our group is that no one feels the need to impress each other. MJ or Kenric can roll up in their fast cars, and we can all take a moment to comment, "Hey that's a beautiful car" and then we can all head to a diner for lunch. I never feel like they (or anyone else) is trying to impress the group and I love that. I enjoy everyone's company regardless of where we are, or how much money is (or isn't) being thrown around. I suppose for all of us there we aren't really impressed by anything expensive, we are more impressed by the thinking behind what got them what they wanted. For example, when MikeC made the comment that he started a PR company as a backdoor way to get into events, people were impressed--because that's clever (and hilarious). When Kenric and Bill talked about scaling online stores, we are impressed by their thinking. When Chris talked about the Deuce45, we all were impressed, because who the hell thinks about how to use the bathroom with more efficacy? When Danoodle talked about his "funny story" behind how he picked up a rental, we all began slowly moving for the door...but well, you can't win them all. ;)

Honestly, my favorite part of the B&P is that people get super real, because we aren't trying to impress each other. Maybe some are even more real within the group than they are with their friends and family. That real-ness that happens there is because we get each other. Even though we are all at different points in our lives and at different points striving toward financial freedom, we get each other at a core level that most of society doesn't understand--that is our connection, and that is what is really priceless. I love and appreciate that honesty and transparency--it is SO refreshing, and it's something that doesn't seem to exist within the slowlane with everyone there trying to either keep up with or be the Jonses. When I'm at the B&P, I feel like I've found my tribe, and that feeling isn't something that can be taught during the presentations or even quantified or qualified in any other way except to be there at the event. </tangent> :)

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
When I'm at the B&P, I feel like I've found my tribe, and that feeling isn't something that can be taught during the presentations or even quantified or qualified in any other way except to be there at the event.

The entire description was awesome and makes me wanna join you.

Btw. happy Women's day Yves:)

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
I think I decided for certain toa ttend like... Thursday morning so I swung by Phoenix on my way back from LA.

I've been up to my a$$ in the slowlane the last few years making a lot of money for the guys who sold the company I work for. Out of that deal I made... nothing. Except my job got harder and this year I will be responsible for growing a large P&L by another 20-30% and I will get a decent check for it but I'll be working my a$$ of making around $200K until the day I get sick enough of it to get off my a$$ and get serious about my next entrepreneurial sprint. Just enough to where I can say I do OK but not with no growth and if I want to keep getting that check there's another 5 16 hour days starting tomorrow morning.

To the point about 80% of life being the decision to show up (or start a business, or buy that first property or whatever your individual definition of getting the fencepost dislodged from your a$$ by tilting 45 degrees to the side and using the Lighthouse Lean to ease it out...)

It's worth going. The guys who are killing did not get there by coming up with a "HOLY SHIT!" stroke of genius idea for the most part... there's a diverse set of stories there and a disparate set of ideas with a common theme... people had an idea, did something about it, learned from mistakes and I heard a LOT of folks get some pretty good ideas from being there. Most people have lots of good ideas and never follow through. Not a criticism, just an observation.

So you are talkin 200 for the event, 250 for a plane ticket if you plan and maybe 400ish for a hotel... round up to a grand and that's 20 bucks per week. There is nobody reading this forum who couldn't do that in a couple hours per week. There are instructions here on the forum where an agoraphobe with an internet connection and 20 bucks can start rebaying and make 100 each week.

So next year I will be presenting what I am doing or did to get the hell out of the rat race or I will be working 80 hours per week making someone else's fortune and bitching about it. Either way it's up to me and it ain't a word problem guys. For shit's sake - get the fencepost out and decide to go or don't but it's so far from inaccessible that any excuse is pretty much bullshit. "I decided not to make it a priority" is perfectly valid.

Just go - if it doesn't pay for itself I'd be shocked.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How about the other Phoenicians? You willing to go that far?

(hint to Kenric-- Phoenix to Napa Valley is a great road trip ;) )

-Russ H.

Let me know what week it will be.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
F my life. lol. Never again will I try to solve the mystery if someone has enough chest hair to shave a tie into it. Lesson learned!

I'm bringing the razor next year Dana. You in?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I'm bringing the razor next year Dana. You in?

You have to ask? Sheesh Bobby, you spend a weekend with someone, you think you'd know them a little better! ...Hell yes I'm in. Just one question though, would a shaved tie AND and a real ascot be overkill? ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.