The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Launch a Million-Dollar Business this Weekend w/Noah Kagan

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Loved the interview you made with Michael Hudner and the one you did where you flew with the guy on the jet. Made me focus a lot more on my stretching :)

Appreciate your work!
Don't forget the one with JPD.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How did you discover this forum?

He joined in 2015. If I recall correctly, Noah and I had lunch together while he was visiting Phoenix (and I still lived there) many moons ago.

BTW, a lot of these questions being asked here he covers in his book.

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
Love your videos Noah and congrats on the new book!

My question is, what was the biggest "shocker" moment for you when it comes to someone's revenue or income relative to their business? (Larry Janesky's $700M basement repair company was insane to hear about). I'm sure you've met a ton of lesser-known and blue collar CEOs outside of the videos who are absolutely crushing it!

1- There's MANY ways of getting rich
2- Compete in less competitive areas
3- Find a growing market early before others do
4- Someones revenue or whatever $100m number they put in titles is likely a lie and more important is profit.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Stacia.Henry

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 24, 2024
Hola FLF amigos

I’m Noah Kagan, the Chief Sumo (aka, CEO) at AppSumo ($80M+/year in revenue) the #1 software deals site online.

I also run a YouTube Channel with 1M+ subscribers helping inspire underdogs on their business journey.

Before AppSumo, I was employee #30 at Facebook (invented status updates, developed the Facebook ads platform and worked on the first version of Facebook's mobile app) & fired by Mark Zuckerberg.

Made my first million dollars at age 29 before I ever started a successful business by sleeping on friend’s couches and putting all my money into savings or the stock market.

My new book Million Dollar Weekend is dropping Jan 30/2024 sharing everything I’ve learned from starting eight $1M+ businesses (most in a single weekend).

Happy to answer any questions on entrepreneurship, launching a biz, marketing or running a company

Ps. Episode on Tim Ferriss just dropped if anyone wants to check it out!
Thank You for sharing I will definitely be checking out the YouTube and the book as I am just starting my journey and i'm trying to build my knowledge.

bc0510

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 26, 2023
Cayman Islands
Dear Noah,

First of all thanks and welcome back to the forum. I am already a very small partner at AppSumo and trying to grow my product.

I would love to buy your book and would also love to know your experience on how you solved your business hurdles and challenges during this journey. If it is already part of your book, then I am going to read it.

Thanks again.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@noahkagan I remember a while back you had some content up about your personal/business monthly expenses.

I remember thinking it was a pretty high number - like a lot of trainers and coaches and extra costs etc.

Im curious if you are still running things that way and also what you got the most value out of / what was not worth it?

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
He joined in 2015. If I recall correctly, Noah and I had lunch together while he was visiting Phoenix (and I still lived there) many moons ago.

BTW, a lot of these questions being asked here he covers in his book.
Damn, thanks for the info!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
How much of your success would you attribute to your high-energy extroverted and sociable nature?

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jan 17, 2024
Bounce - thanks so much ME and you STARTED the internet. Thank you Front Page!!

The first idea is the best one.

I know, I know but but but. That's literally why ALL of my 8 figure companies were started quickly and they are also simply explainable.

And all the ones that took LONG to build and complicated to explain didn't.

The reason - you can find out in 48 hours or less if it's something people want.

Okay now for the how - DONT DO SAAS. Do the service with free or basic tools - validate the problem and build the SaaS later.

Most people sift through ideas or say they have too many or too little as avoidance of doing the "hard" work of talking to customers or validating which through practice I personally find is the fun and easy work that will lead you on a great path.

What is 1 thing you can actively do today?

I thank myself that I started 14 years ago and stuck with it. What will you thank yourself for by the end of this year....
This knowledge is precious!!!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How much of your success would you attribute to your high-energy extroverted and sociable nature?

+1, what advice do you have for someone who has zero desire to create a personal brand and zero desire to be famous, and just wants to do meaningful work?

It seems culture continually rewards the wacky extroverts and extremists... for example, I find the stuff that some of today's role models put forth by culture are incredibly harmful and destructive, with legions of young ppl blindly following.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
+1, what advice do you have for someone who has zero desire to create a personal brand and zero desire to be famous, and just wants to do meaningful work?

It seems culture continually rewards the wacky extroverts and extremists... for example, I find the stuff that some of today's role models put forth by culture are incredibly harmful and destructive, with legions of young ppl blindly following.
I just listened to something about this on the My First Million Podcast. Basically these companies were tired of finding shitty or irresponsible influencers to market their stuff so they made their own influencers using AI.

So their take was to create a personal brand off of an 100% AI person. There are many influencers out there that are not real people that have millions of followers and it is just an account being run by a marketing company.

So I guess what you could do is make a personal brand account off of an AI person that is 100% made up. Then you completely run this person’s social media in the background.

Mihalsky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jan 10, 2021
Łódź, Poland
Hi Noah,

I have a question connected with my branch: roofing and interior finishing.
According to you, what are the 3 traits of excellent contractor in these sectors? What you value the most and what will attract you to the contractor?

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
Thank You for sharing I will definitely be checking out the YouTube and the book as I am just starting my journey and i'm trying to build my knowledge.
Yay Stacia. It starts today. People never get to million or "fastlane" cause they don't start with $1. You got it

Robertson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 18, 2024
Hola FLF amigos

I’m Noah Kagan, the Chief Sumo (aka, CEO) at AppSumo ($80M+/year in revenue) the #1 software deals site online.

I also run a YouTube Channel with 1M+ subscribers helping inspire underdogs on their business journey.

Before AppSumo, I was employee #30 at Facebook (invented status updates, developed the Facebook ads platform and worked on the first version of Facebook's mobile app) & fired by Mark Zuckerberg.

Made my first million dollars at age 29 before I ever started a successful business by sleeping on friend’s couches and putting all my money into savings or the stock market.

My new book Million Dollar Weekend is dropping Jan 30/2024 sharing everything I’ve learned from starting eight $1M+ businesses (most in a single weekend).

Happy to answer any questions on entrepreneurship, launching a biz, marketing or running a company

Ps. Episode on Tim Ferriss just dropped if anyone wants to check it out!
Hey Noah,

I just want to say thank you for putting out your content. It's got me through some rough times, and provided me with priceless knowledge.

I really admire what you've achieved in life and as a young adult you are one of many role models.

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi Noah,

how would you go about scaling a video course business that is in a niche where building an audience doesn't really work.

What would be your favorite paid traffic sources / methods?
Hey amigo

1- How did you get your first customers? Do more of that
2- I don't focus on scaling businesses - especially courses as your best marketing is successful customers. Who are some of the people you've helped?
3- Who in this forum or in your network can you help with today for that business? Today!

Btw - people tend to think I'm talking small ball but these are the same exact process we use to run AppSumo at $80m a year business.

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
Hey Noah,

I just want to say thank you for putting out your content. It's got me through some rough times, and provided me with priceless knowledge.

I really admire what you've achieved in life and as a young adult you are one of many role models.
Thanks Robertson.

Definitely have had my share of ups and downs over the years. Sending you hugs.

Courage is being afraid and doing it anyways.

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi Noah,

I have a question connected with my branch: roofing and interior finishing.
According to you, what are the 3 traits of excellent contractor in these sectors? What you value the most and what will attract you to the contractor?
No clue.

I hire nearly 99% of my house people through referrals. I'd think how to do more of that.

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
Some but not all.

The skill of asking is universal, attainable and underutilized by most people.

Do think it is easy to say we are introverts but sometimes that's an avoidance of what are we afraid of doing which will lead us in the right direction.

I too - like to be alone at home or don't really want to go events. Sometimes I will and many times I don't.

You can be successful without being loud. There's millions of people with $$$ you don't know about.

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX

Culture rewards people who solve problems that people want to get paid for.

The guy I got on his private jet, no one has ever heard of before.

A personal brand I've done for 24 years and love doing. There's TONS of directors / products / writers behind the scenes living amazing lives we have no idea about.

We only SEE the loud ones but the most successful tend to be quiet.

That's why I hate and block most online business gurus. They aren't running a business I admire and focus on extreme advice vs the basics: find something people really want to pay for, start today, ask people in your network, leverage your experience in your side-hustles, try again and again and then stick with it for a long period of time.

It's like being healthy. Everyone KNOWS eat well and exercise but the appeal of fads / bone broth / new tricks appeal to the masses.

Same goes with business :)

The beauty of business is that it does not discriminate. You can be anyone, anywhere with any physical abilities and STILL succeed.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Who in this forum or in your network can you help with today for that business? Today!

I don't focus on scaling businesses - your best marketing is successful customers.

solve problems that people want to get paid for

find something people really want to pay for, start today, ask people in your network, leverage your experience in your side-hustles, try again and again and then stick with it for a long period of time.

Love it.

My favourite business quote:

"Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest to you."
(Mother Theresa)

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.

Get started, today.

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
Dear Noah,

First of all thanks and welcome back to the forum. I am already a very small partner at AppSumo and trying to grow my product.

I would love to buy your book and would also love to know your experience on how you solved your business hurdles and challenges during this journey. If it is already part of your book, then I am going to read it.

Thanks again.
Congrats on success with AppSumo. The laws of time compound on businesses who stick with it!

Hope the book helps you on your journey!

Was reminiscing on all my struggles, ups and downs and ultimately how I'm more at peace now than ever before.

It's possible and you deserve it :)

noahkagan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
681%
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
@noahkagan I remember a while back you had some content up about your personal/business monthly expenses.

I remember thinking it was a pretty high number - like a lot of trainers and coaches and extra costs etc.

Im curious if you are still running things that way and also what you got the most value out of / what was not worth it?
It's likely higher. Latest numbers here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzoMCWDgZ84

Coaches - personally at least $200k+ / yearly just for myself not including what we spend on rest of the team.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
No questions for @noahkagan, but just wanted to say hi.

Bought my first product from AppSumo Nov of 2011 and also was one of the first people to buy some "jerky" from you on LinkedIn when you wanted to validate the product.

I think we both also know Jeff Shaw....

Small world.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Hi Noah, thanks for taking the time to chat with us here! Pre Ordered your book on audible, stoked to have a listen.

I just watched the CNBC interview, curious where you get your investment advice from regarding asset allocation? Do you watch particular people/shows etc, advice from your network, a bit of everything?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Hey Noah, pleasure to be acquainted with you, and thanks for taking the time to come on the fastlane and chat to people here.

You yourself seem to be quite active in the startup scene and AppSummo itself is (or was) quite a novel idea at the time. Much of your thinking is aligned with the lean startup philosophy — I say this as someone who purchased one of your courses long ago as part of the market research I was doing on products addressed to entrepreneurs at the time.

However, I feel that this kind of thinking often encourages beginners to pursue far-fetched ideas which require large capitalization or have a high chance for failure, or a low chance of making money consistently. Hence why most people who start businesses quit and don’t end up successful.

I’m not a big fan of this problem solving approach. Many problems aren’t worth solving economically speaking. Or they’re not possible, for whatever reason, for you specifically to solve.

There’s a handful of us on this forum who have made great money in basically “boring”, “crowded” market spaces. There’s a guy (talking about @Johnny boy ) in lawncare for example. I’m in the digital agency space. And so on.

And while I know these businesses are unlikely to produce billionaires, I see it as a safer path to wealth. You don’t need to innovate so much as you need to be better than the competition at doing what you do. My philosophy is literarily find a business that makes money, learn how they do what they do, copy what works, then look to improve things. No need to solve problems. No need to reinvent the wheel. Just join the party so to speak.

What’s your opinion on this — basically becoming better in a red/pink ocean, rather than seeking to open a blue ocean? I feel most (successful) pioneers suffer from surviorship bias. Would be curious to hear your thoughts!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.