The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't take the stress or depression? This might help.

Anything related to matters of the mind

piano

Em7(add13) to Fmaj7sus2.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Recently, I've seen many people on this forum deeply stressed out. To the point where some members throw a tantrum, ignore all advice and decide to take the easy way out by leaving the forum.

In this post, I'm going to talk about ways in which you can relax yourself and prevent perhaps irrational decisions.

1: Sleep over it.
I often get deeply stressed out myself. How I feel about it, I will leave out. What's important is that no matter how much I suffer during the day or the lonely evening, I know that after I go to bed and wake up, I'll feel better.

This might seem like generic advice, and maybe it is, however I think that the basics often get overlooked, especially in a confused mental state.

To me, knowing that there is always a tomorrow, another day where I wake up refreshed, really helps me as I know that I can basically start anew.

If that doesn't apply to you though, here come other tips:

2: Talk to someone.
This might be hard for some. It is for me.
However, apart from real people, you also have this forum right here.

You can very well start a PM with a member here and ask if they can help you/listen to you. Although I'd recommend you to do that if you've already been on the forum for a little while (1-2 months maybe?). I can't really explain why exactly, however my gut feeling tells me that.
Besides that, many people start threads talking about their problems ("I live in 'bad' country x, help me!" "I'm a depressed loner with college debt" etc) and so can you if you look for guidance.

Although please first use the search function in the top right corner, as we usually get the same situations over and over and thus already have great advice instantly availlable.

3: Journaling and a few others.
If you really don't have anyone (which is probably not true, but let's assume it is for this example) you can do a few things of these:

-You can journal about your feelings. Just writing down what is happening and how you feel can be really, really good. As an alternative you can also draw something or make music.

-Have an imaginary chat. You can take a piece of paper or just do it in your head. But basically you think of a dialogue on the spot with a person of your liking. It doesn't even have to be a real person or can be one you yet have to meet.

For example the future mother of your children (if that applies to you) might encourage you. Telling you sweet things.

You might think to yourself that all advice and talk you'll get will be bad as you can't help yourself right now, so why should a person emulated by your brain produce anything good?
I don't know how or why, but in my case when I think of someone or think in the 3rd person, great thoughts often come to me. For example I can give 200+ suggestions to someone who asks me something but I sometimes struggle to do that for myself.

-Exercise or beat something up. You might be scared right now, you might be sad right now, might be frustrated or many others! Why don't you go on a run then? Why don't you go to the forest and knock dead branches and trees down or do as many push ups as you can?
I recently was very angry at myself and extremely frustrated so I ran to one end of my town to the other and back (average speed was likely 10km/h, so quite fast imo) and ran for almost an hour.
And I actually combined the run with the imaginary chat.
I had done a person wrong in my mind and so I imagined that person how they saw me suffering, laughing at me and having a great time at my expense. Around 30 minutes in and I just wanted to take the bus already but I remembered them and just kept going although I wanted to literally F*cking throw up on the spot.
But when I came home, drenched in sweat and physical distress, I felt so happy and relieved. That person wasn't angry at me anymore and we made quits or however that saying goes.

4: Do something!
Chances are, you've been sitting on your bum for a long time and felt sad or whatever you're perhaps feeling right now.
Don't you think distracting yourself is going to help? You know, actually doing something that exists in the real, physical world?
By doing "something" I mean simple tasks. It doesn't even have to be something big.
It can be to just clean your room for 3 minutes and if you (feel) like it (!) go for longer.
Or even smaller things like just opening your window!
Trust me, it'll get better 99% of the time.

5: Watch a great comedy.
When I've been sad, I sometimes started watching comedy shows and often I'd found myself ashamed at how well it worked.
Perhaps you're thinking right now that it won't work, but so did I and I got massively humbled (or chances are you just don't know any good comedies that you really like).

6: Listen to music that resonates with you.
If you're angry, go listen to the DOOM Soundtrack and perhaps do pushups.
If you're stressed, perhaps listen to lofi or something like that.
And if you're sad I'd recommend some great classical music:
Maurice Ravel: Piano Concerto in G, 2nd Movement 'Adagio Assai', Pavane pour une infante defunte.
Chopin: Prelude op. 28. no. 4, Nocturne Op 27 No 2, Ballade 1 and 4, Etude Op 10 No 6

7: Reevaluate and reprioritise your life.
There were and perhaps still are times where I take on too many things at once.
After all, I'm doing composing, window cleaning/business, piano practise, school, gym and many more and so for me it gets very very easy to get overwhelmed.
Perhaps you have too much on your shoulders? Or you do the wrong thing? Think about it perhaps.

8: Read up on some books.
This isn't always a good idea. However I think that sometimes they really can be the answer.
The Stoic philosophy really helped me, especially in dealing with rejection when going door to door. For that I'd recommend the book "How to think like a roman emperor".
Perhaps a few people here have problems forming habits, and for that I have the book "Tiny Habits" by BJ Fogg. Amazing author, I just love him. His methods don't rely on willpower at all so the methods work on anybody. And Atomic Habits is also actually partly based on his research.
For me, I hadn't been able to fully form a very consistent routine that's based on the same habits, only a few.
However now I can definitely identify if habits of other people are going to work and why. It's also extremely helpful if you decide to create habits for others.

And those are the ones I can think of right now...
If anybody has suggestions or things that worked for himself, I might add it to this post!

And to anybody who's struggling right now; you can do it! Yes, it's suffering. Misery perhaps, however it will pass and in less than a hundred years, you'll finally rest for all eternity anyways.

So perhaps be grateful for your suffering. Because that means that you live.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
Recently, I've seen many people on this forum deeply stressed out. To the point where some members throw a tantrum, ignore all advice and decide to take the easy way out by leaving the forum.

In this post, I'm going to talk about ways in which you can relax yourself and prevent perhaps irrational decisions.

1: Sleep over it.
I often get deeply stressed out myself. How I feel about it, I will leave out. What's important is that no matter how much I suffer during the day or the lonely evening, I know that after I go to bed and wake up, I'll feel better.

This might seem like generic advice, and maybe it is, however I think that the basics often get overlooked, especially in a confused mental state.

To me, knowing that there is always a tomorrow, another day where I wake up refreshed, really helps me as I know that I can basically start anew.

If that doesn't apply to you though, here come other tips:

You can very well start a PM with a member here and ask if they can help you/listen to you. Although I'd recommend you to do that if you've already been on the forum for a little while (1-2 months maybe?). I can't really explain why exactly, however my gut feeling tells me that.
Besides that, many people start threads talking about their problems ("I live in 'bad' country x, help me!" "I'm a depressed loner with college debt" etc) and so can you if you look for guidance.

Although please first use the search function in the top right corner, as we usually get the same situations over and over and thus already have great advice instantly availlable.

3: Journaling and a few others.
If you really don't have anyone (which is probably not true, but let's assume it is for this example) you can do a few things of these:

-You can journal about your feelings. Just writing down what is happening and how you feel can be really, really good. As an alternative you can also draw something or make music.

-Have an imaginary chat. You can take a piece of paper or just do it in your head. But basically you think of a dialogue on the spot with a person of your liking. It doesn't even have to be a real person or can be one you yet have to meet.

For example the future mother of your children (if that applies to you) might encourage you. Telling you sweet things.

You might think to yourself that all advice and talk you'll get will be bad as you can't help yourself right now, so why should a person emulated by your brain produce anything good?
I don't know how or why, but in my case when I think of someone or think in the 3rd person, great thoughts often come to me. For example I can give 200+ suggestions to someone who asks me something but I sometimes struggle to do that for myself.

-Exercise or beat something up. You might be scared right now, you might be sad right now, might be frustrated or many others! Why don't you go on a run then? Why don't you go to the forest and knock dead branches and trees down or do as many push ups as you can?
I recently was very angry at myself and extremely frustrated so I ran to one end of my town to the other and back (average speed was likely 10km/h, so quite fast imo) and ran for almost an hour.
And I actually combined the run with the imaginary chat.
I had done a person wrong in my mind and so I imagined that person how they saw me suffering, laughing at me and having a great time at my expense. Around 30 minutes in and I just wanted to take the bus already but I remembered them and just kept going although I wanted to literally F*cking throw up on the spot.
But when I came home, drenched in sweat and physical distress, I felt so happy and relieved. That person wasn't angry at me anymore and we made quits or however that saying goes.

4: Do something!
Chances are, you've been sitting on your bum for a long time and felt sad or whatever you're perhaps feeling right now.
Don't you think distracting yourself is going to help? You know, actually doing something that exists in the real, physical world?
By doing "something" I mean simple tasks. It doesn't even have to be something big.
It can be to just clean your room for 3 minutes and if you (feel) like it (!) go for longer.
Or even smaller things like just opening your window!
Trust me, it'll get better 99% of the time.

5: Watch a great comedy.
When I've been sad, I sometimes started watching comedy shows and often I'd found myself ashamed at how well it worked.
Perhaps you're thinking right now that it won't work, but so did I and I got massively humbled (or chances are you just don't know any good comedies that you really like).

6: Listen to music that resonates with you.
If you're angry, go listen to the DOOM Soundtrack and perhaps do pushups.
If you're stressed, perhaps listen to lofi or something like that.
And if you're sad I'd recommend some great classical music:
Maurice Ravel: Piano Concerto in G, 2nd Movement 'Adagio Assai', Pavane pour une infante defunte.
Chopin: Prelude op. 28. no. 4, Nocturne Op 27 No 2, Ballade 1 and 4, Etude Op 10 No 6

7: Reevaluate and reprioritise your life.
There were and perhaps still are times where I take on too many things at once.
After all, I'm doing composing, window cleaning/business, piano practise, school, gym and many more and so for me it gets very very easy to get overwhelmed.
Perhaps you have too much on your shoulders? Or you do the wrong thing? Think about it perhaps.

8: Read up on some books.
This isn't always a good idea. However I think that sometimes they really can be the answer.
The Stoic philosophy really helped me, especially in dealing with rejection when going door to door. For that I'd recommend the book "How to think like a roman emperor".
Perhaps a few people here have problems forming habits, and for that I have the book "Tiny Habits" by BJ Fogg. Amazing author, I just love him. His methods don't rely on willpower at all so the methods work on anybody. And Atomic Habits is also actually partly based on his research.
For me, I hadn't been able to fully form a very consistent routine that's based on the same habits, only a few.
However now I can definitely identify if habits of other people are going to work and why. It's also extremely helpful if you decide to create habits for others.

And those are the ones I can think of right now...
If anybody has suggestions or things that worked for himself, I might add it to this post!

And to anybody who's struggling right now; you can do it! Yes, it's suffering. Misery perhaps, however it will pass and in less than a hundred years, you'll finally rest for all eternity anyways.

So perhaps be grateful for your suffering. Because that means that you live.
I’ll add some that are DONTS and DOS:

1. DONT LISTEN TO MOODY MUSIC WHEN YOUR IN A MOOD

2. DONT MAKE DECISIONS WHEN YOUR IN A MOOD

3. DONT FALL TO THE VICTIM MINDSET WHEN YOUR IN A MOOD

4. DONT STAY INSIDE, GO OUTSIDE AND BREATH FRESH AIR

I do a lot of these when I’m upset.

I go into my backyard and feed squirrels.

I breath the air.

Listen to the birds.

Look at the sun.

Whenever I can’t, I tend succumb to the victim mindset, listen to a moody song and just sit there.

Sometimes it’s even best to just.

CLOSE YOUR EYES.

Forget about everything for a minute.

Just.

BREATH

You’ve all got this. Don’t turn to the dark side.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
@Jrjohnny @piano great advice you guys.

The messed up thing, is that it feels good to feel sorry for your self sometimes. Not taking away from clinical depression/ mental health disorders.

It’s very easy to get caught up in self pity, and takes a lot of self awareness to understand that feeling will pass, and you can help it by doing something else besides sitting inside feeling sorry for your self.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023

The messed up thing, is that it feels good to feel sorry for your self sometimes. Not taking away from clinical depression/ mental health disorders.

It’s very easy to get caught up in self pity, and takes a lot of self awareness to understand that feeling will pass, and you can help it by doing something else besides sitting inside feeling sorry for your self.
Yes you are correct.

I do those things to help me realize that sometimes I’m just way too anxious.

I always feel sad, then debate what I do.

Do I go outside?

Do I listen to moody music?

If I choose to go outside, I feel myself for a few moments and then I feel happy.

If I listen to moody music?

I find a vibe and remain sad for another hour or so..

I see it as you should you self pity to gain self awareness.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ll add some that are DONTS and DOS:

1. DONT LISTEN TO MOODY MUSIC WHEN YOUR IN A MOOD

2. DONT MAKE DECISIONS WHEN YOUR IN A MOOD

3. DONT FALL TO THE VICTIM MINDSET WHEN YOUR IN A MOOD

4. DONT STAY INSIDE, GO OUTSIDE AND BREATH FRESH AIR

I do a lot of these when I’m upset.

I go into my backyard and feed squirrels.

I breath the air.

Listen to the birds.

Look at the sun.

Whenever I can’t, I tend succumb to the victim mindset, listen to a moody song and just sit there.

Sometimes it’s even best to just.

CLOSE YOUR EYES.

Forget about everything for a minute.

Just.

BREATH

You’ve all got this. Don’t turn to the dark side.
Are you really only 13?

Dayum.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks for the tips, @piano and @Jrjohnny.

I haven't been here at the Forum more than usual, but I'm disturbed that what used to be a highly-spirited place is getting filled with DA mood.

My initial thought is that it is a spiritual problem more than a physical one (i.e. happiness comes from inside), but further discussions on that topic won't exactly match the Forum's rules.

What I will say is to study some of the greatest religious pioneers...Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc...who faced untold pain and suffering for work that didn't make them rich physically. Yet many of them did their work with joy in their hearts.

Each of them understood differently how to have joy, even in times of suffering.
I'll just leave you folks to explore the rabbit hole.

'Man's Search for Meaning' by Viktor E. Frankl has been recommended here before...I recently started looking into it and was left wondering what else I didn't know.

Honestly, nothing beats physical one-to-one conversations.

How much can folks share on a cramped online chat?

Since last year, I started landing close relationships with mentor figures who I could trust enough to share more. Sure, I had to commit and pay some 'prices' (doesn't always have to be money)--but in any relationship that works, you gotta give something to the table. But the amount of mental clarity and solidarity that I found...wow.

There are many ways to find physical networking...hit up your favourite religious place, Meetup,com, sports clubs...any central meeting place that has a goal or interest that requires a Fastlane-ish attitude.

The REAL challenge is not just the finding of suitable people you can trust and share with...but also keeping them.

This is even more important if you plan to stay locally, and do business here.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
May 18, 2023
If I had a nickel for every time I had this thought...
:rofl:

IMG_1951.jpeg

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
There’s a lot of emphasis on distractions here, ie taking your mind off the stressful problem. That is usually a bad way to handle it, because it’s only a temporary solution.

If you are stressed about how you’ll pay your bills, sure, you may feel better momentarily by going to play with your dog, watching a comedy or reading a book.

The problem is that this does nothing to (1) solve your problem or (2) change your judgement about the problem. Therefore the stressed feeling is guaranteed to come back, usually in a stronger form than before.

It’s much more practical to (1) identify things you can do to fix the problem and (2) change your judgement about the problem — in both cases this will lead a definite and permanent reduction in stress, especially (2).

piano

Em7(add13) to Fmaj7sus2.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
There’s a lot of emphasis on distractions here, ie taking your mind off the stressful problem. That is usually a bad way to handle it, because it’s only a temporary solution.

If you are stressed about how you’ll pay your bills, sure, you may feel better momentarily by going to play with your dog, watching a comedy or reading a book.

The problem is that this does nothing to (1) solve your problem or (2) change your judgement about the problem. Therefore the stressed feeling is guaranteed to come back, usually in a stronger form than before.

It’s much more practical to (1) identify things you can do to fix the problem and (2) change your judgement about the problem — in both cases this will lead a definite and permanent reduction in stress, especially (2).
You're right and thanks for stopping by here btw.

My intention with this post was to calm down the potential member, so that he'd regain a rational and logically working mind (with the exception being point 2# which can fix the problem directly).
Kind of like an emergency thread so that you can pull this up if you ever get to that state or prevent it.

And when you calm down, you can make changes from there or try again with optimisations.

maria619

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2023

that's true i often try to workout whenever i feel like i am getting depressed.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

I second this.

Nothing wrong with stepping away, but your Problem will always persist until solved.

I think it's perfectly okay to be stressed or depressed. We are all human and we all have emotions if anything these emotions are trying to get us to understand something.

Why are you stressed? Why are you depressed? You are unhappy with the status quo of the life you have created.

What can you do to change? Introspection or self-reflection will be needed at this stage in life.

But also you will need to change yourself to change your status quo.

I do know that you should be happy currently with your stage of life and that you are here, totally agree and thus mote gratitude should be infused with your life at this stage.

But I think it's also a positive thing to want to change where you are to where you want to be to a point in time where you don't have to deal with this set of current problems you are facing in this season of your life.

Last edited:

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 1, 2019
I got released from my toxic prison-like workplace days ago.

Journaling definitely definitely helped me, I've been reading some of my entries, over months I've been pretty pissed while at the workplace. Now they did me a favor by releasing me??? Now I can go find a real job (been through a lot of apps, several interviews, and had some people vouch for me). Now I might be able to finally use a less stressful job to prop up my fastlane.

I think the only thing missing is reframing things. Like how I did. Notice I didn't say fired, or woe is me, the end of the world. Your mindset is important. Use it.

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
Read the Stoics, or Gary John Bishop, who captures the Stoic mindset in a 21st-century, foul-mouthed Scotsman's voice.

Sjena

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 30, 2023
Croatia
A lot of problems are created in our heads. Sometimes we think too much about the past or the future and we can end up in a really bad mood as a result.

One thing that has helped me lower my stress and anxiety is to ask myself, 'Do I have a problem right now? Is my life situation preventing me from being happy in this moment?'

Additionally, journaling is a great way to reduce stress immediately. You can simply start writing on paper or using a smartphone, and it helps get rid of that negative energy fast.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.