The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing an MMA news channel on YouTube

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone, how are we all going today?

A bit of context on where I am at with this channel, and how I got here.

I was doing video editing some time ago for a large YouTube channel in the Finance News Niche. The Channel is quite large and last time I checked has 200,000 subscribers at time of writing. I still have a relationship with the guy who runs the channel, and we chat quite often.

Long story short: It was a good time for money trade in the beginning for me, things changed, his direction changed, and it wasn't worth it for me anymore. I couldn't/wasn't all that committed in attempting to gain more clients, as to be honest I kind of hate editing anyway. I would prefer to do it for myself If I am going to do it at all. But I learned some things while doing the work.

If I do need cash desperately, that door is always open for me to return which is nice. I just have zero desire to do things that aren't working for me, or in my best interests, and it doesn't serve a purpose for me at the moment.

I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share my little youtube endeavour with you guys and girls as it's been a while!

I have been a big fan of Mixed Martial Arts for a number of years now, and have also trained myself for many years now also.
I consume MMA related content on Youtube myself, and thought....

Why not try to grow my own channel on the platform aswell?

I at least have some experience editing videos, I haven't talked on camera in a while showing my face, but it shouldn't take me that long to get used to it again? as you could expect, it started rough people, real rough lol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScJJqv_e_4&t=65s

Funny how at the time I thought it wasn't that bad! As you can see the lighting and video quality isn't exactly great. But I pushed on.

One week later I released this, and several other videos in-between:
I had seen some improvements by this point, but kept note of when I made dumb facial expressions, Poor editing choices etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z08EbLOKVE&t=30s

This video below is where I Put a bit more effort into the video editing. But what's funny is, I don't think it's making that much of a difference at this point in time in regards to viewer retention. Or if it is, I certainly can't tell.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCyA6As2J18&t=18s

All I am doing right now is trying to improve one thing every video, and I have put more out after the one above aswell, just trying different things than before. It can still be a bit clunky at times as i'm trying new things that I haven't done before with editing and filming. But that's alright as I am actually having fun with this.

I am creating what I believe is Search optimized content at the minute, aswell as a bit of copying what other big channels have done in certain instances.

I am still thinking of a way that can make my channel stand out compared to others in this niche. I have a notepad of some of the other channels in this niche that do quite well in regards to talking head videos, what I can realistically compete with them on right now, or do better, and things I can't.

Some large channels I think absolutely suck aswell, and if they can do it and get big, I am sure with enough time I can aswell.

I guess they have found the people that think they don't suck?

Any advice or brutal honesty is appreciated, as I am looking to make improvements all the time. I will keep making the content until i get sick of youtube and no longer enjoy making the videos. I think that will take a long time however.
I think that's because of the passion I have for the sport, the knowledge I have of Mixed Martial Arts also comes into play, and the fact I love talking crap about it.

I think it's important for youtube to create content you care about as people will be able to see through it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons, and you won't stick with it if you have no viewers either. Well, I wouldn't.

But we will see what happens, either this goes somewhere or the thread dies.

Lets find out together.

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ow6hw7fWfs

In the most recent video, I wondered how it would feel to ramble on in the car a little bit. First thing I noticed was the camera positioning wasn't great, and I would want it higher the next time.

Also really surprised at how good the audio is coming through on the phone I used. They have clearly come a long way, better than some audio devices.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hi everyone, how are we all going today?

A bit of context on where I am at with this channel, and how I got here.

I was doing video editing some time ago for a large YouTube channel in the Finance News Niche. The Channel is quite large and last time I checked has 200,000 subscribers at time of writing. I still have a relationship with the guy who runs the channel, and we chat quite often.

Long story short: It was a good time for money trade in the beginning for me, things changed, his direction changed, and it wasn't worth it for me anymore. I couldn't/wasn't all that committed in attempting to gain more clients, as to be honest I kind of hate editing anyway. I would prefer to do it for myself If I am going to do it at all. But I learned some things while doing the work.

If I do need cash desperately, that door is always open for me to return which is nice. I just have zero desire to do things that aren't working for me, or in my best interests, and it doesn't serve a purpose for me at the moment.

I haven't posted in a while, but thought I would share my little youtube endeavour with you guys and girls as it's been a while!

I have been a big fan of Mixed Martial Arts for a number of years now, and have also trained myself for many years now also.
I consume MMA related content on Youtube myself, and thought....

Why not try to grow my own channel on the platform aswell?

I at least have some experience editing videos, I haven't talked on camera in a while showing my face, but it shouldn't take me that long to get used to it again? as you could expect, it started rough people, real rough lol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OScJJqv_e_4&t=65s

Funny how at the time I thought it wasn't that bad! As you can see the lighting and video quality isn't exactly great. But I pushed on.

One week later I released this, and several other videos in-between:
I had seen some improvements by this point, but kept note of when I made dumb facial expressions, Poor editing choices etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z08EbLOKVE&t=30s

This video below is where I Put a bit more effort into the video editing. But what's funny is, I don't think it's making that much of a difference at this point in time in regards to viewer retention. Or if it is, I certainly can't tell.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCyA6As2J18&t=18s

All I am doing right now is trying to improve one thing every video, and I have put more out after the one above aswell, just trying different things than before. It can still be a bit clunky at times as i'm trying new things that I haven't done before with editing and filming. But that's alright as I am actually having fun with this.

I am creating what I believe is Search optimized content at the minute, aswell as a bit of copying what other big channels have done in certain instances.

I am still thinking of a way that can make my channel stand out compared to others in this niche. I have a notepad of some of the other channels in this niche that do quite well in regards to talking head videos, what I can realistically compete with them on right now, or do better, and things I can't.

Some large channels I think absolutely suck aswell, and if they can do it and get big, I am sure with enough time I can aswell.

I guess they have found the people that think they don't suck?

Any advice or brutal honesty is appreciated, as I am looking to make improvements all the time. I will keep making the content until i get sick of youtube and no longer enjoy making the videos. I think that will take a long time however.
I think that's because of the passion I have for the sport, the knowledge I have of Mixed Martial Arts also comes into play, and the fact I love talking crap about it.

I think it's important for youtube to create content you care about as people will be able to see through it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons, and you won't stick with it if you have no viewers either. Well, I wouldn't.

But we will see what happens, either this goes somewhere or the thread dies.

Lets find out together.

Thanks for reading.
Congratulations on getting started. My observations:

I am not your audience, so I have not viewed a lot of MMA videos for comparison. No comment on your content.

I don't see that you are using keywords or tags on your videos. Why not?

There are several good YT channels to watch to learn how to launch fine tune a new YT channel.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_IH7ZQbpo

I use TubeBuddy to analyze and optimize my YT channel. I can also see some analytics of other videos and channels. I also look at social blade to see what other channels are doing.

Good luck.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Congratulations on getting started. My observations:

I am not your audience, so I have not viewed a lot of MMA videos for comparison. No comment on your content.

I don't see that you are using keywords or tags on your videos. Why not?

There are several good YT channels to watch to learn how to launch fine tune a new YT channel.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_IH7ZQbpo

I use TubeBuddy to analyze and optimize my YT channel. I can also see some analytics of other videos and channels. I also look at social blade to see what other channels are doing.

Good luck.

I'm not really using keywords, as youtube has come out and said that keywords now play little to no impact in getting discovered or found on youtube.

So don't really see the point to be fair!

Bu the way, a big fan of think media. I am playing around with a few ideas they have thrown out there atm.

And I'm so glad to see you are doing better now friend. Glad your health is improving!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well done. Keep going.

Added to the master thread:

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021
you are handsome guy, i will watch your videos.

One critique on your car video is that to make sure to level out the audio, the left channel is noticeably muffled and for an audiophile like me it is quite noticeable and hard to listen to on a stereo output system like headphones. Video editing softwares like Davinci Resolve (which i recommend, and its free) has built in audio mixing and it can be done very easily (in 30 seconds) especially video like this where the mic location is the culprit and therefore the balancing only needs one tweak (vs a video that has multiple audio input sources).

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
you are handsome guy, i will watch your videos.

One critique on your car video is that to make sure to level out the audio, the left channel is noticeably muffled and for an audiophile like me it is quite noticeable and hard to listen to on a stereo output system like headphones. Video editing softwares like Davinci Resolve (which i recommend, and its free) has built in audio mixing and it can be done very easily (in 30 seconds) especially video like this where the mic location is the culprit and therefore the balancing only needs one tweak (vs a video that has multiple audio input sources).

Thanks for that.

I usually pass my audio through a software like ''soundwave editor'' and I notice what you mean, as I can really tell the difference myself when I pass videos through audio software or just leave the audio untouched as displayed in that video.

Thanks for the feedback!

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Props to you for jumping in and getting started right away.

Advice I have for you would be:

-Set up a "studio" if you can. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, Get creative. But the most simple setup IMO is you sitting in a desk with a few lights in the background to add depth and make things visually more interesting.

-Film with a better camera, Even if it's your phone. The current webcam quality looks very amateur-ish and choppy. People are used to at lease some degree of production value. Your audio sounds good though, I see you have a mic.

I think the pacing of the third video is very good. You have the potential to grow for sure.

I have a channel on video editing too (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYcxlQaV8GQFyc0PWJSjpnA). I'm not shamelessly plugging my channel, But if you ever need some inspiration for editing check it out. I use davinci resolve, But the same could be done in any popular editor.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So I took @James Klymus advice and started using my phone to record the videos.

i also got a new light for the background of my videos. The studio is a work in progress at the moment. I have a photo coming from displate which does metal posters to add that to the studio aswell, so that should arrive soon. This should make it more visually interesting.

I've also played around with some new effects for video editing.

My latest video that I published last night has taken off the most. IT has gotten more views and alot more quickly. (Compared to the others, this is averaging 5 views per hour at the moment)

View: https://youtu.be/3SAhBLqHBfQ

I don't know what to attribute this to as of yet, but it's an ok video I guess.

I have another one set to be released in a couple of hours also. Lets see how that goes.

The video below that is out soon, I increased the frames per second once it was edited. I am playing a delicate game at the moment, as when I do increase the frames per second, the video comes out to ''smooth'' looking and unnatural.

So we will see how this one looks for those following along. Let me know if you notice any significant difference to the one above.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbWswKKobUQ

Overall I'm happy to see: improvements being made, and I thank you all for your feedback, and welcome any more you may have for me.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
The Video Quality is the best it's been here.

View: https://youtu.be/uB103_M_8Rk

My videos are getting more impressions and the CTR is improving in my last 3 videos.

I think youtube is getting to know my channel a bit better and who to recommend it to.

Playing around with different transitions to change scenes as well as flipping the video to keep it engaging.

I'm also starting to keep a constant theme. My branding and colour scheme is red and white.

I'm displaying these same colours in the thumbnails, as well as the lighting in my videos now.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois

My videos are getting more impressions and the CTR is improving in my last 3 videos.

I think youtube is getting to know my channel a bit better and who to recommend it to.

Playing around with different transitions to change scenes as well as flipping the video to keep it engaging.

I'm also starting to keep a constant theme. My branding and colour scheme is red and white.

I'm displaying these same colours in the thumbnails, as well as the lighting in my videos now.
New set looks nice. I would record in 4k 30 if your phone is capable, Quality is better but still a bit fuzzy.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
New set looks nice. I would record in 4k 30 if your phone is capable, Quality is better but still a bit fuzzy.

Can't do it unfortunately. My phone has a 4k setting but it's real bad. It's a Samsung A52.

Best setting for this is apparently full hd 60fps.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Good work. Keep chipping away.

I think the mic is a bit too prominent and the camera could be closer to your face. Basically, we can't see you that well.

The cuts where you flip the screen are a bit jarring because the background light moves from left to right, and the mic moves from one side to the other. Maybe do those "zoom-in zoom-out" cuts, or just jump cuts?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Good work. Keep chipping away.

I think the mic is a bit too prominent and the camera could be closer to your face. Basically, we can't see you that well.

The cuts where you flip the screen are a bit jarring because the background light moves from left to right, and the mic moves from one side to the other. Maybe do those "zoom-in zoom-out" cuts, or just jump cuts?

Thanks for the tips Andy I'll look into seeing if I can get a bit closer to the camera.

I'll be keeping an eye on my analytics for the last few videos that I've flipped the screen on. when the audience retention data comes up I should see if it's well received or not by when i start losing viewers. I've heard mixed things so far but will keep doing it for now until I get more information.

I have started playing with it as I noticed a girl had millions of views and she was just standing in one spot. But she kept flipping the screen, different angles etc and it kept it more engaging.

Maybe still including it but not as frequent is a way to go.

Or maybe my placement and when im using it is off?

I'm just wanting to make it more interesting than me talking to a camera with nothing else happening.

See how we go over the next few weeks!

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I took @Andy Black advice and moved a bit closer to the camera, I think it looks much better already as it seperates me from the background a bit. I also got a framed photo from Displate who do metal posters for the studio set. I think it looks alright, I have one more to arrive soon.

I also ditched most of the flip screen with this one, I only put one in the entire video. I like it but i dont think it worked with this one at all.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKTU5L-p3H0

Youtube is recommending my content now, so let's see if that continues. My CTR is bad, I have many impressions though. MY CTR is about 2 - 3 %.

I am finding thumbnails to be quite the challenge to be honest.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Hey Tim, first congrats on putting yourself out there. I've never done video but I'm a photographer and many concepts come together, so here are a few suggestions if I may.

Can you manually set the aperture when shooting on your phone ? If so, the lowest the "f number" (for example: f2.8), the wider the aperture and the thinner the depth of field are and the more the background will be detached from yourself, where focus is. As Andy said, moving the camera closer to you will also help, as well as setting yourself up in a way that the background is farther from you (seems like this white wall is quite close behind you).

This wall behind you needs dressing, white walls are obviously pretty bland. Frames are a good idea. Why not hang your BJJ gi up there ? Your belt ? MMA gloves if you have. Anything related to martial arts.

Finally, playing with lights may help a lot to create a compelling image overall. Have a look at this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14L-J0LEWoc

The dark background coupled with a bit of lighting creates a very cosy atmosphere (maybe you don't exactly want a cosy ambience for an MMA channel, but you get the point). The light facing him puts the emphasis on him, reinforcing the thin depth of field effect. I guess this guy understood something because his channel grew substantially fast in a niche where YouTubers are a dime a dozen...

Good luck !

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Tim, first congrats on putting yourself out there. I've never done video but I'm a photographer and many concepts come together, so here are a few suggestions if I may.

Can you manually set the aperture when shooting on your phone ? If so, the lowest the "f number" (for example: f2.8), the wider the aperture and the thinner the depth of field are and the more the background will be detached from yourself, where focus is. As Andy said, moving the camera closer to you will also help, as well as setting yourself up in a way that the background is farther from you (seems like this white wall is quite close behind you).

This wall behind you needs dressing, white walls are obviously pretty bland. Frames are a good idea. Why not hang your BJJ gi up there ? Your belt ? MMA gloves if you have. Anything related to martial arts.

Finally, playing with lights may help a lot to create a compelling image overall. Have a look at this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14L-J0LEWoc

The dark background coupled with a bit of lighting creates a very cosy atmosphere (maybe you don't exactly want a cosy ambience for an MMA channel, but you get the point). The light facing him puts the emphasis on him, reinforcing the thin depth of field effect. I guess this guy understood something because his channel grew substantially fast in a niche where YouTubers are a dime a dozen...

Good luck !

Thanks man.

As it turns out I can actually change the shutter speed on the phone. Now should I be looking to make it brighter or darker? As that is what it seems to do to me?

I have been playing around with lighting a little bit, and haven't found any positioning that looks good or improves the video quality as of yet.

I have 2 ring lights, the light in the background and a lamp, but the lamp I am yet to use, seems way to bright.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
As it turns out I can actually change the shutter speed on the phone. Now should I be looking to make it brighter or darker? As that is what it seems to do to me?
Shutter speed shouldn't be useful to you, especially shooting video. If you take it slower, all else being equal, the image will be brighter. Conversely, if you take it faster, all else being equal, the image will be darker.

Aperture is what impacts the depth of field and is interesting to play with to visually detach a subject from the background for example. Wide aperture (small f number) = thin depth of field = a small part of the image will be in focus. Small aperture (high f number) = deep depth of field (not sure this is correct English lol) = a bigger part of the image will be in focus.

Look up the "exposure triangle" if you want to understand this better.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Making progress.

This video I made a few days ago is my first to reach over 1000 views, currently at about 1200 views so that was a nice surprise.

View: https://youtu.be/EzqEfJVb_c0

Since then I tried a powerslap video, it was a bit of a rant and I was unsure of how it would be received, it currently only has about 28 vieews, and I wasn't exactly surprised. Thought i would play around a bit. It is a little outside my niche, but the UFC is sponsoring it, and Dana white is big on it, so i thought due to the overlap it was worth a shot.

View: https://youtu.be/hc1OfRu9PLY

I released this video a couple of days ago, and played around with a longer video. My average view duration is higher on this than the other videos. Currently at about 145 views so far, the event is over a month away, so i expect more views to slowly trickle in for this in the lead up to the event..

View: https://youtu.be/dfSCApvhsjg

It seems the views are steadily trending in an upwards direction which is nice to see, but the subscriber count seems stubborn. I don't know wether it's just patience needed on my behalf, or I need to add more value.

I have researched creating mini hooks throughout the video to promote longer watch time, and will look to implement this and see how that changes the performance of the channel as a whole.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
One thing I've noticed so far is that the quality of your video seems to matter the least when chasing or making a video on a trending topic if you know it will trend.

I objectively made one of my worst videos last night, in an attempt to be first. I posted it as an "instant reaction" to the latest UFC PPV and got 800 views in Less than 24 hours.

I'm trying to improve my story telling atm as I think that's my weakest area right now.

It seems sometimes compromising quality for speed csn work at times.

Good to keep in mind.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
The last few videos on my channel are getting tons of views and very quickly. The CTR is improving, people commenting, it's all improving.

I learnt some storytelling last night and implemented what i learnt right away in a new video and it's already paying off!

I released it 30 minutes ago and we are at 100 views. every time i look its growing. it's quite addictive.

It encourages me to continue and im on the right track.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
My video from yesterday is currently at 3300 views, my CTR has improved to 12% and this video got me 6 subscribers.

View: https://youtu.be/4WlGh78xdfw

This video I am trying to leverage a big name in the space. I linked their original video in the description of my video, so if any one who comes across it wants to see his video I am referring to they can.

View: https://youtu.be/XclNVEk8Rac

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So I am 2 months into this YouTube channel and these are the things iv'e learned aswell as channel statistics:
28 videos made.

Subscribers: 74
Average View Duration: 1:45.
Click through rate: 4.5%
Impressions: 201,000
Views: 12,000
watch time: 300 hours.

Audience retention in the first 30 seconds of the video has gone from below 40% from a month ago, to 50% - 70% on average now. Think this shows that the quality has improved an I can keep attention for longer periods of time.

This is taking quite some time, and I think you have to be smart about how you approach growing a channel, based on my limited experience thus far.

Jumping on ''trends'' seems to be the best return on time invested as of right now, The video quality might not be as good as more time spent on a better edited video, but it is better as you get your content in front of more people.

Paying for software like vid iq, or thumbnail programs seems to be a complete waste of money. Tools such as Canva and, Adobe express are free and do a great job.

Save your editing work as you go and complete the work. Nothing is worse that your editor crashing and not having hit the save button. Editing is a pain, you don't want to spend more time that you have to with this.

You can have the best Average View Duration and CTR in the world, but if hardly anyone is searching for it, or interested in the topic, you are wasting your time.

I would take 1 minute average view duration and a 3% CTR any day if i can get thousands of views on that video.

If I can get 100% AVD and 100% CTR on a video that only gets 20 views, it doesnt matter much.

I would take the first option.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I was reading another youtube thread on here, and someone mentioned getting people onto an email list of some sorts.

I agree, I myswell try and get the people onto an email list that watch my content. There's no downside to this.

I've created a simple landing page and a welcome email. I used Chat Gpt or whatever you call it to help write the emails, that tool is amazing.

I can figure out what to sell them later.

Screenshot_20230427_142512_Brave.jpg

I don't want to depend on ad revenue alone. I just have this in the description of most of my videos now, I might mention it in my next video aswell.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I am seeing a very large uptick in overall views, subscribers and engagement.

It took me almost 3 months to reach 100 subscribers, and in the last week it took off very quickly.

I now sit at 220 subscribers and the video I did yesterday has got almost 11,000 views!

This is it here
View: https://youtu.be/Pl2cf_nObUg

This one that I did last night now already sits at over 1000 views.

View: https://youtu.be/_oPZsnXlP-w

I tried a call to action to my newsletter in this video to see how that goes in getting people on my email list.

Most videos get over 1000 views at least now.

I feel it's only a matter of time now until I get monetized.

Momentum is building, and it now feels like I'm pushing a snowball down a hill.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.