The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your 2020 Vision: Most liked plan wins a sponsored Insider's sub!

Anything related to matters of the mind

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
My xmas gift to the forum. Bit of value to whoever could use a read of the inside threads. @MJ DeMarco

giphy.gif

CONTEST TIME!

Make a plan for the first quarter of the year. Meaning, a 3-month plan. S.M.A.R.T. Goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-based). ACTIONABLE STEPS. What are you going to do in January? What are you going to do in February? What are you going to do in March? It can be the start of your venture or it can be about getting your shit together in general. Flex that brain. No "eat healthier" "read more" I want to see what you want to accomplish and how you plan to get there.

Most likes wins, which hopefully is the plan everyone deems most ready to make use of the inside threads. Sometime tomorrow (probably evening) I'll sort by best and take a screenshot of whoever had most likes as of that moment, contest will be closed and that person gets a sub.

Don't forget to kiss someone at midnight tee-hee

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks @BellaPippin !

Good luck anyone who acts, and right now, the odds are looking damn good!

HomoSapien101

Totally phsyched bout life
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 17, 2019
Visions for 2020?
Use the infinity stones to end the world maybe?....... JK!!!

Ok, So currently I'm a brokeass who spent the whole 2019 reading,watching, hearing business related stuffs on the internet (Analysis paralysis) and to be frank, I don't really remember most of what i consumed.It did help me get my mindset right a bit tho(still workin on it)

After lurking around most of the gold and notable posts on the forum last month I've realised that I've been just wasting my time when I'm just consuming and not producing /Not putting any action, So I've decided to take some real action this year..

I think i don't have any monetizable skills as of now. So I'm thinking of goin with paid ads, already went through most of @Andyblack 's posts..

So I'm gonna spent January to know how paid ad works and I'll run ads for 2-3 businesses to learn more by doing. I'll prolly use them as my portolio pieces to get paying clients later. I've already got permission to run ads for my friend's business (His website sucked,so I asked him whether i can revamp his site and he agreed, and tbh i have no F*ckin idea how to build a site. Thanks to the internet we can learn anything whenever we want).So I'm hoping to build a killer site for him and make a killing for him with the ads.

In february I'd like to learn more bout how to get clients and use that knowledge to get 1-5 paying clients. I'm a totally introverted person so almost all the methods used to get new clients scares me. Even writing this post freaks the hell outta me.

So for March I'd like to get more clients and maybe set up a business website etc...

Thanks @BellaPippin for this thread and thanks @MJ DeMarco for this awesome forum

Edit:English is my second language,sorry if my post is too hard to read.

Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I already have a sub, but I want to play!

It's 2020 already and I'm using hindsight to guide my way forward. Just this morning I created a spreadsheet to track this year's goals. This year, time is my currency and I'm setting out to spend it wisely.

There are 8760 hours in a year. 1/3 of them will be spent sleeping so I'm left with 5840 hours to make money and increase the value I can bring to the world. I'll squeeze in some time for fun too, like in February!

My main priority this year is to wrap my head around computers and software development. I'm already decent at front end web dev but the coding I've been doing in Python lately had been connecting a lot of dots in my understanding of technology and the world in general. Logical thinking is powerful.

The next priority is to earn $ for my family. My marketing business has a solid book of clients that keep the doors open and the pipeline is beginning to fill up after a few months of neglect.

I've been coding a lot in my spare time but I want to get paid to jump in the deep end. That's why I'm going to consider my options in the job market. So, here's the plan.

January:
  • Apply to all the web developer jobs in my area and see if I can find a good environment where I can trade my marketing knowledge and experience for the opportunity to learn dev from pros. I have already negotiated some referrals through friends and people in my local network.
  • Hit my sales pipeline and email list hard and work some sales through the system. The goal is to make 2 sales per month at and avg of 4k per sale.
  • I have 10 pieces of content I will be writing in the first 2 weeks of the year. Some are rewrites while others are new opportunities I've discovered from analyzing results from past content. The blitz is my style as I can really get in the zone. I'm less good at pacing an hour a day for months
  • On the personal front I'm doing the keto diet for January. Kind of a reset after the holidays. I'm also tired of all the food options.... JK
  • Earn 8k
By the end of January I'll have some serious momentum whether it's from my marketing business or a job, but likely both.

I used to think I would never work a 9-5 job again but this time it feels different. It's not about money, it's about the skills I want and finding the fastest way to get them.

February:
By February I'll have a good bit of momentum and will just need to keep up the pace. Spending at least 3 hours per day coding is the priority until I decide that it isn't. The year goal is to accumulate 1000 hours of dev time as I feel like that's enough time to understand how software is developed in the real world and know enough to be able to hire the right people for the right thing should I develop larger applications some day.

In February I'll:
  • Make a ton of friends at TF Meetup!
  • Acquire 2 clients for my marketing business.
  • Spend 90 hours coding or have a dev job by now. If not, keep applying and searching for a local company that wants me.
  • Finish my first website with Django framework. This is a WordPress site I'm remaking so I can include some interactive apps for the visitors.
  • Earn 8k
March
  • Complete Phase 1 of 75 Hard. I tried this a couple months ago and failed after 4 days. Really, I decided to stop because the time didn't feel right.
  • Acquire 2 new clients for the marketing business.
  • 90 hours of coding or dev job.
  • Create a prototype for the skill tracking app that lives in my brain
  • Earn 8k

My goals are pretty straight forward. After a few years of having goals I know now that the trick is staying focused. That's hard for me as I'm constantly reevaluating everything and considering my options. Throw in my spontaneous way of being and it makes for a situation where more goals are made than ever achieved, but so is life.

This year my mindset going into it is to be calm, slow down, and stay focused on what I've set out to do. It's hard for me to keep my head out of the clouds and my feet on the ground but I get better at it each year.

Good luck to you and let's make it a great year!

JustinY

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Dec 22, 2018
Plan for 2020.
Step 1, get some sleep. Just had my first child Dec 12th and he will not sleep unless someone is holding him. I literally spent $1000 on a Snoo bassinet this week just to see if it will help (hasn't significantly yet). He's literally sleeping on my chest right now as I type this on the couch at 2 AM (so the wife can get some sleep).
Definitely opens my eyes to the market for people with children though. There are a lot of gadgets nowadays that I never would have considered if I wasn't a parent: a bassinet that rocks and makes noise, a oxygen/heart rate monitor sock to let you know that the baby's alive (significantly helps my wife sleep better, except when it goes off because my son kicked off the sock), and age appropriate children toy and clothes subscription boxes.

But in all seriousness, we're working on a sleep plan for our son. Next 3-5 days the focus is to swaddle him for every nap and bedtime, and to start working on getting him into a routine (eat at this time, sleep at this time, etc.). Even if that means we need to continue to hold him to go to sleep.
Then the following 3-5 days is to work on getting him to sleep in the way too expensive bassinet and for him to learn to sleep on his own.
Then I go back to work and we're actually flying in a nanny/family friend from Dominican Republic to help my wife for $1000 a month while she gets ready to go back to work too.

From a business side, there is a small niche product I am working on developing. I already started the easy part (domain, social media accounts, market research) this last two weeks just based on what I can do from my phone with a baby in my lap.
January the goal is to price out components and understand what the manufacturing costs look like. The only current person who makes something similar uses a 3D printer to make it one by one. It might make sense for me to go down a similar path depending on volume. I am also debating do I reach out to this person to see if I can partner with him. My vision for my product is different, but similar application.
February is the Fastlane Summit (nanny is part of the reason I'm allowed to go, haha). At this point I should have a basic website hosted with one or two products that are similar to my core product (but less complicated). I want to have all components for my product identified and start working on a prototype.
March I want to have a first version of my prototype. This will probably be much more expensive than the final cost, but I can start testing. I may need to buy a 3D printer and learn to use it, so I can see this taking up the majority of the month if not the next 2 months.
By April I should have a better idea of if this idea will work or not based on pricing and volume. The goal at this point is to continue to refine my prototype (make it simpler, cheaper, more reliable) until it is profitable. I can see this taking until June.
By July the product should be on my website and maybe a few other niche sites with the intent to solicit customer feedback and continue revising the design. If I'm 3D printing and putting the components in myself, I can have total control over each iteration.
By October I want to have sold 50 units, obtained some user reviews, and have a better product. At that point I would start seriously marketing and trying to grow sales. I don't know at what point I would hit my production limit, but probably 30 units a month if I'm 3D printing each until.
So the goal would be to hit my production limit and then start seeing how I can scale production.
By December if I can reliably make/sell 50 units a month then I would try to put my product on the larger market.

By the way, in the time I've been writing this post the baby has moved from my chest to my lap on the couch, to bouncing on an exercise ball, and now back on the couch. Whatever it takes to keep him sleeping...

And about that Snoo bassinet, it retails for $1300 or you can rent it for $112/month. You only really use it for the first 6 months, potentially less depending on how big your baby is. Some people rent one just for a couple of months when babies hit a sleep regression at month 4. BUT. I got it for $900 on sale (like most people who buy this thing I would hope), we can return it within 30 days, it sells for $700 on the second hand market, or I can rent it to my friend who's having a baby in May after I'm done with it.

Not sure how I'm going to execute this plan with an infant, but I know it definitely won't happen if I'm only getting 4-6 hours of sleep a day (in 1 hour blocks)!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Love the bugs bunny clip!

Very generous of you @BellaPippin.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Well the accountability scares me but heres goes..

January:
-> Get myself on a Tiling course and get trained how to tile.

Reason: get skilled to do skilled work. Earning £10 an hour working nights and weekends at my soul destroying job is not effective enough to fuel my ecommerce

-> Get quote ready for next product

Reason: Last night while browsing I saw a product opportunity but its going to need a little bit of inventing and designing. Have this quoted, price negotiated and ready to order by 31st

SEE YOU JANUARY 31st

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
After this, I've realised that what was stopping me from executing was that I was looking at the end goal and not dividing them into small tasks, and now I've got an action list that I can now use to get closer to the end goal. My goal for the first quarter of the year is to develop a prototype for the product I am creating.

SMART DESK LAMP

JANUARY
DEVELOPMENT OF DESIGN PROPOSALS
  • Prove that there is a demand for my product - proof (soft)
    • Channel research - Find a similar product to the one I am going to develop and if the number of reviews is larger than 1000, we can say that there is a demand and need for it
  • Use Amazon to find functions that the market desire and problems in existing products that we can solve
  • Find three potential clients from different occupations, i.e. students, architects, designers
    • In order to find our potential clients, we could reach out to friends and family

DEVELOPMENT OF DESIGN IDEAS

• Create a basic questionnaire using Google Forms to gather the desired design characteristics of our clients:
    • Aesthetic - industrial, modern or minimalist
    • Cost - How much will you be willing to pay for the final developed product?
    • Function - What functions do you want the final product to have?
    • Material - What materials would you prefer the product to be manufactured out of?
  • Use Reddit to find a sample of at least 20 people, in order to represent the marketmind
    • Produce a questionnaire (Google Forms) using multiple choice questions to ask them which characteristics they would prefer:
      • Which colour choice would you prefer the product to have?
      • How much are you willing to pay for this product?
        • Offer different price ranges for the product in order to see whether people choose the high priced options rather than the cheap one
      • What material do you want the product to use?
      • How tall do you want the lamp to be?
      • How large do you want the base to be?
      • How long do you want the product to last for?
  • Draw sketches of three designs at different angles (plan - side - front) based on the results from the questionnaire whilst annotating the types of joints and dimensions
    • Send a picture of these sketches to the potential clients asking them for further feedback
MODELLING
  • Produce basic polystyrene models to ensure that the dimensions of the product are suitable
  • Develop a questionnaire for the clients to provide feedback for all the polystyrene models
    • Does this model appeal to your needs and wants?
    • What comments do you have on these models?
  • Assess the advantages and disadvantages of all three designs and choose which idea to produce as the final prototype
MAKING
  • Order the components necessary for producing the prototype
    • Use YouTube, textbooks and ask a teacher to find the types of components that are needed for the products
    • Make a shopping list of components alongside the cost of each component and quantity
FEBRUARY
  • We will then produce an accurate CAD model of the product taking the size of the components into consideration
  • Whilst waiting for the delivery of our components, we should 3D print and vacuum form each part of the product using the CAD models we developed earlier
  • Assemble all the parts of the product and components
    • Ask teachers for assistance when problems arise

MARCH
TESTING AND EVALUATING
  • Carry out a Life Cycle Assessment to evaluate the impact of the manufactured product on the environment, this is done to make the production and manufacturing as sustainable as possible
  • Send a video of using the developed prototype to the three potential clients, asking them to assess the advantages and disadvantages
  • Use ACCESS FM (aesthetics, cost, customer, environment, safety, size, function, material) to evaluate where my product can be improved
  • Use Reddit to check if the marketmind will pay for the product - proof (hard)

Conscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 16, 2019
Missouri
My plans for the first quarter of 2020.

During the first full week of January I will purchase a laser engraver. It will should be delivered at the end of the month or possibly the beginning of February.

While waiting for delivery I'll work on a few products that I can sell. I'm in the military and there are a lot of opportunities to deliver products people will want. I know several people in various units that are responsible for purchasing monthly, quarterly and annual awards.

During the week that the engraver is delivered I will start producing designs while learning to use the product to produce what I want. Once I've got a few successful projects completed I'll create social media profiles that support my new business.

The second or third week following delivery I'll make my first sales. Once that goal is accomplished I'll create a website. On the website I'll incorporate customer feedback and used that and the new social media accounts to assist in acquiring additional sales.

During March I will continue to produce quality products and refine social media content. The main goal for the end of March is to have sold enough items to pay for the laser system. This laser system is not part of a long term company. I will use the laser engraver as a learning tool. I don't currently have any social media other than linked-in. I don't have any experience running a website or in sales.

I know that when I have a specific problem to overcome that I can do it. These goals are designed to provide obstacles to learn from.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Here goes nothing:

End goal - I will be resigning from job at the end of March. That's certain. For this i need 4 month emergency fund and INR 50k / Month RR.

March goal: serving 3 clients and earning INR 50k / month which is more than the current salary. Currently have 1 such client. I am improving my skill in delivering results and serving values as i work.

Feb goal: Delivering results to 3 clients. 3x ROI on investment atleast. Saving money in Emergency fund.

Jan goal: Hustling by doing 20 videos and follow ups a week. Targeting niche market who are spending on ads. Showing them the bleeding neck and the solution through videos. Onboarding 2 clients by 31st Jan.

That's the business goal.

Health: I already eat healthy. I will gain weight by eating 3k calories per day.

Skills: i combine all skills needed for generating leads for clients as 1. Define it as 'Lead Gen Skill'. My skill level right now is 1.5. By the end of March. I will upgrade my skill to 4 or 5.

Here is my determination. I pledge that i will follow through this no matter what.

Don't know about end results. I will do all the steps mentioned above.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Visions for 2020?
Use the infinity stones to end the world maybe?....... JK!!!

Ok, So currently I'm a brokeass who spent the whole 2019 reading,watching, hearing business related stuffs on the internet (Analysis paralysis) and to be frank, I don't really remember most of what i consumed.It did help me get my mindset right a bit tho(still workin on it)

After lurking around most of the gold and notable posts on the forum last month I've realised that I've been just wasting my time when I'm just consuming and not producing /Not putting any action, So I've decided to take some real action this year..

I think i don't have any monetizable skills as of now. So I'm thinking of goin with paid ads, already went through most of @Andyblack 's posts..

So I'm gonna spent January to know how paid ad works and I'll run ads for 2-3 businesses to learn more by doing. I'll prolly use them as my portolio pieces to get paying clients later. I've already got permission to run ads for my friend's business (His website sucked,so I asked him whether i can revamp his site and he agreed, and tbh i have no F*ckin idea how to build a site. Thanks to the internet we can learn anything whenever we want).So I'm hoping to build a killer site for him and make a killing for him with the ads.

In february I'd like to learn more bout how to get clients and use that knowledge to get 1-5 paying clients. I'm a totally introverted person so almost all the methods used to get new clients scares me. Even writing this post freaks the hell outta me.

So for March I'd like to get more clients and maybe set up a business website etc...

Thanks @BellaPippin for this thread and thanks @MJ DeMarco for this awesome forum

Edit:English is my second language,sorry if my post is too hard to read.

I like your plan. It’s achievable within the timeframe you’ve set and I think you’re taking smart steps! As for the shyness I get you, I was super uncomfortable in my banker work because I had to sell, but I won’t lie I did learn and get better at interacting. I had to cold call and just suck it up. It’s one of those things that aren’t the end of the world but you just wanna avoid it anyway. If it helps...I used to have a post-it on my monitor I’d look as I would call, it said “What doesn’t challenge you doesn’t change you” I don’t remember who the phrase is by but it was strong enough to get me through the calls. Good luck!!!

I've edited this post so you won't see my goals

What happened, changed your mind?

Well the accountability scares me but heres goes..

January:
-> Get myself on a Tiling course and get trained how to tile.

Reason: get skilled to do skilled work. Earning £10 an hour working nights and weekends at my soul destroying job is not effective enough to fuel my ecommerce

-> Get quote ready for next product

Reason: Last night while browsing I saw a product opportunity but its going to need a little bit of inventing and designing. Have this quoted, price negotiated and ready to order by 31st

SEE YOU JANUARY 31st

Not a three month plan but it’s good for January, definitely. Glad you are taking action to at least leave the shitty environment. The day job and side hustling is always a bit more sustainable when you’re not in a crappy cultured place or doing something you despise.

My plans for the first quarter of 2020.

During the first full week of January I will purchase a laser engraver. It will should be delivered at the end of the month or possibly the beginning of February.

While waiting for delivery I'll work on a few products that I can sell. I'm in the military and there are a lot of opportunities to deliver products people will want. I know several people in various units that are responsible for purchasing monthly, quarterly and annual awards.

During the week that the engraver is delivered I will start producing designs while learning to use the product to produce what I want. Once I've got a few successful projects completed I'll create social media profiles that support my new business.

The second or third week following delivery I'll make my first sales. Once that goal is accomplished I'll create a website. On the website I'll incorporate customer feedback and used that and the new social media accounts to assist in acquiring additional sales.

During March I will continue to produce quality products and refine social media content. The main goal for the end of March is to have sold enough items to pay for the laser system. This laser system is not part of a long term company. I will use the laser engraver as a learning tool. I don't currently have any social media other than linked-in. I don't have any experience running a website or in sales.

I know that when I have a specific problem to overcome that I can do it. These goals are designed to provide obstacles to learn from.

Well organized plan, achievable and measured!

Here goes nothing:

End goal - I will be resigning from job at the end of March. That's certain. For this i need 4 month emergency fund and INR 50k / Month RR.

March goal: serving 3 clients and earning INR 50k / month which is more than the current salary. Currently have 1 such client. I am improving my skill in delivering results and serving values as i work.

Feb goal: Delivering results to 3 clients. 3x ROI on investment atleast. Saving money in Emergency fund.

Jan goal: Hustling by doing 20 videos and follow ups a week. Targeting niche market who are spending on ads. Showing them the bleeding neck and the solution through videos. Onboarding 2 clients by 31st Jan.

That's the business goal.

Health: I already eat healthy. I will gain weight by eating 3k calories per day.

Skills: i combine all skills needed for generating leads for clients as 1. Define it as 'Lead Gen Skill'. My skill level right now is 1.5. By the end of March. I will upgrade my skill to 4 or 5.

Here is my determination. I pledge that i will follow through this no matter what.

Don't know about end results. I will do all the steps mentioned above.

What kind of videos do you make? No need to answer but I was just going to say depending on what they are, is 20 an achievable number while you do the other things? I got overwhelmed by reading it lol but then again I am by no means a hustler.... good luck this quarter!!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Contest is closed!
I read all the plans and I hope writing it down gave you some motivation, clarity or helped some!!
I sorted by most likes and the winner is @AshrafI!

2135903E-AFF8-4D7C-80F4-0674D46D4349.png

giphy.gif

Have fun soaking up all the knowledge!!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
@MJ DeMarco please let me know how to gift, I didn’t see it in the subscription options :p

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
What kind of videos do you make? No need to answer but I was just going to say depending on what they are, is 20 an achievable number while you do the other things? I got overwhelmed by reading it lol but then again I am by no means a hustler.... good luck this quarter!!
20 videos per week is achievable. Its just 2-3 min short videos explaining. Check @Kyle T thread about video. The similar approach. I will shoot 1-2 videos on week days and remaining on weekends.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
We're halfway through Q1. How's everyone doing at accomplishing these goals?

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
I'm well into the questionnaire phase of the product, narrowed it down to the functions my target mind really want. I've made some pencil drawings and CAD models. I've asked for some aluminium tubes to be cut, I just have to decide how I'm going to produce the joints - either 3D print or manufacture.

I have figured out which components I need to produce my prototype but I have to find the right dimensions and I have to modify my CAD design so that it can house the components, which I will order soon.

Pencil Drawing.png
Screenshot_20200216-084004.jpgScreenshot_20200216-083902.jpg

Conscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 16, 2019
Missouri
I'm well into the questionnaire phase of the product, narrowed it down to the functions my target mind really want. I've made some pencil drawings and CAD models. I've asked for some aluminium tubes to be cut, I just have to decide how I'm going to produce the joints - either 3D print or manufacture.

I have figured out which components I need to produce my prototype but I have to find the right dimensions and I have to modify my CAD design so that it can house the components, which I will order soon.

View attachment 30489
View attachment 30490View attachment 30491
That looks like a nice lamp.

Can you select between the different LEDs? Did I miss the on/off select switch? I didn't see it. Did you design the electronics yourself or are you using an off the shelf solution?

Great job so far. Keep at it!
P.s. Do you have an execution thread I can follow?

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
That looks like a nice lamp.

Can you select between the different LEDs? Did I miss the on/off select switch? I didn't see it. Did you design the electronics yourself or are you using an off the shelf solution?

Great job so far. Keep at it!
P.s. Do you have an execution thread I can follow?

No, I do not have an execution thread.
I am currently trying to figure out a way to change the colour temperature of the LEDs (from warm to cool) and the hole you see in the front of the base is where the ON/OFF button will be. In terms of electronics, I will have to buy certain components (LEDs, potentiometer) and print the PCB myself. I will not be buying a ready-made solution, just buying the components and assembling them together.

Thank your for your feedback.

Conscripted

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 16, 2019
Missouri
No, I do not have an execution thread.
I am currently trying to figure out a way to change the colour temperature of the LEDs (from warm to cool) and the hole you see in the front of the base is where the ON/OFF button will be. In terms of electronics, I will have to buy certain components (LEDs, potentiometer) and print the PCB myself. I will not be buying a ready-made solution, just buying the components and assembling them together.

Thank your for your feedback.
It's interesting to me the way you have designed your project vs the way I would have.

To me the project would have been the LEDs and the electronics and the base and stand would have almost been an afterthought. It seems as if it's the other way around for you.
How are you going to covert AC out of the wall into DC required for the LEDs? Will that be incorporated into your PCB or is the plan to use an adapter at the wall?

Keep moving forward with your project. I would love to see some more updates and would gleefully follow an execution thread.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
It's interesting to me the way you have designed your project vs the way I would have.

To me the project would have been the LEDs and the electronics and the base and stand would have almost been an afterthought. It seems as if it's the other way around for you.
How are you going to covert AC out of the wall into DC required for the LEDs? Will that be incorporated into your PCB or is the plan to use an adapter at the wall?

Keep moving forward with your project. I would love to see some more updates and would gleefully follow an execution thread.
In order to get a constant power supply, I was thinking of using a power supply, just like this:
Meanwell Power Supply

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.