The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YOUR 2012 - In ONE Sentence

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
*************** We've reached the HALF-WAY mark for 2012 ***************

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
...and the venture I talked about back in December was a flippity flop. So much for that one.

For the rest of 2012, I will focus on building and strengthening the brand that I have conceived. By the end of 2012, I will know whether or not this business is an ultimate Fastlane flop.

So by the end of 2012, I will be on my way to exponential growth for 2013, or I will be on my way to building a new business. Either one.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
How are you wrapping up 2012? Did you hit your objective?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My 2012 was interesting.

First of all, my business idea that I had talked about earlier in this thread was scrapped in early 2012 because it didn't fulfill a need of any kind. In the summer, I launched a new service.

I haven't had a paying customer, however I have had people use the site and have had potential customers who were interested in the service. I registered my first business and now have a month to get my first customer so I can say that I got my first customer is 2012. If I don't, I won't be angry.

I moved cities and started a new life. I started my blog and learned a LOT about myself. And yet, there's still so much more to learn.

What an awesome year. Here's to 2013 being an even better one than the last! :cheers:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Flip back through this thread and take note of how many "New years eve" resolution posters there were in this thread. MJ did a blog post on this early in 2012. Maybe half of the posters in this thread? Hard to tell. Did you play all the way through your goals in 2012 or did posting about them make you feel like you were taking action. Did it go any farther than that? So many of the posters on this thread are parked… Indicating either they left the forum or slid back into mediocrity... Or both. Let the graveyard of posters that flamed out in 2012 inspire you to take action lest you become one of them in 2013.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I noticed there are a few people who met their goals and a few more that came close.

Most of them kinda disappeared in the 'rah-rah' energy.

It is what it is

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Increase the number of my customers and net revenue 100%.

Did increase number of customers and net revenue 18%. Was poised for more growth in 2012, however, 2012 really became a story of survival for my business. I lost 50% of my tenants in May-June and had to do quite a bit of clean up, updating, and prep work. The growth came in the last few months. Funny how life gets in the way sometimes.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
2012 achievements

A
Goal for 2012 was to
put everything into action what I've learned
and that's what I did.

B
I hit my milestone by getting my first customer well before the 1.November
which was my initial goal. Now it's up to increasing revenue and
establishing systems to streamline the business.

The next target is to establish a steady income stream to give
me the backing and security for future ventures.
I didn't post for some time now, because I worked on the
business day in day out. Talking about balance:rofl:

C
I learned more about webdesign, coding,
hosting, IM strategies as I would've just read books.

D
I established a small webdesign agency for smb
in my local area and already had 2 paying customers
when open up shop.
I am currently creating their business portfolio.
One is a large hair dresser chain in my area.
Projects range from 800 to 1500 €. Will increase that as I am
establishing a portfolio.
That will help me accumulate a side income and give me the opportunity to
learn more about coding, SEO, SEM, IM and webdesign as I earn money at the same time.

E
Working together with people via Elance
gave me a valid and good experience how to interact
with people who work for you.
This will be relevant for future ventures.
Beeing precise, on point
and knowing exactly what you want from the
other person is essential.

For 2013 the short term goals are clear:

Business

More buyers, more revenue. Establishing the brand.
Establish a steady income stream.
I like to work on one thing only. Because the more I work on it,
the greater the chances become that I'll succeed eventually.

College
I send out an application for the Goldman Sachs
Summer Internship program in London and Frankfurt,
to have the possibility to work along some bright minds and
learn alot.

For my degree we are doing a 3 months internship
and write a 3 months bachelor thesis for company.
I am currently looking into the brazilian internet start up
scene to find promising looking companies to work for.

Finish my last 4 exams this year in February, so
I can concentrate on working towards my longterm
goal achieving my target number :).

Epiphany?

1) Go out and do it! It's never perfectly right. How long
do you want to wait?

2) You learn a lot more when you do it, instead of
reading books over and over.
Don't get me wrong, you need them in the
beginning, but when you actually built something
you don't have the time to read a whole book.

You'll become selective. Reading just the stuff you
currently need to push your company forward.

Although I am an ADIDAS fanboy,
I'll end with: Just do it!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
In 2012. I will turn my income totally passive, and 5 figures/mo. as the very minimum.

No passivity at all, but at least touched the 5 figure mark for the first time (after hitting rock bottom), so it was not all bad.

Also stepped out of "I will make a million in 10 months" mentality.

But no, didn't hit the goal.

Warchild

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 26, 2010
England
My wife, children and I are well and healthy with no worries, so thats another good end to a year.

Remember, this is the important bit, the money making is a game to pass the time.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I send out an application for the Goldman Sachs
Summer Internship program in London and Frankfurt,
to have the possibility to work along some bright minds and
learn alot.

Spread your bets and apply to all banks offering a summer program. They are all very selective. When I interviewed at J.P. Morgan London the other applicants where all from Oxford/Cambridge/LSE. Read http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com for tips to improve your application. Hit me up for some interview tactic resources, I have a great PDF about this. Also, check this out ;): Horror-Praktikum: Warum ich als Praktikant ein 100.000-Euro-Jobangebot ausschlug | Studium | ZEIT ONLINE (my guess is that he worked at GS/MS/DB M&A in FFM).

vladsoriano

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 5, 2012
London, UK
2012 is the year my girlfriend and I started a property business, the year I came out of debt and the year when all the entrepreneurial pieces invested in the last 10 years, have started to come together.

2013 will see property #1 sell for our first profit followed by our target of 4 properties a year; systemisation & monetisation of our internet marketing efforts targeting £1000 / mth; continue to improve on my FX trading strategy using EURUSD targeting £150 / day (£3000 / mth).

We will hit our Freedom Figure in 2013.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I said I wanted to work towards passive income. Vague but I took some steps. My passive income for the year was $0. However in the year I have worked on my people skills, read a ton of information, played around with several platforms of e-commerce software and am now building a niche based e-commerce store to test the marked before going all in. About three months ago I was stressing over how to afford the up front costs of a business before knowing if it will succeed. Now I learned the concept that you must establish a need before investing your time and money.

ambition21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 30, 2012
While I did not become familiar with this forum until very recently, my new years resolution last year was to get in fitness model shape (six pack, put on muscle, etc.), start my first website, and complete the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. Mission accomplished. :D

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
I wasn't here a year ago...but what I wanted was to lose 51 pounds...I have lost 34 and still going. I did not want any major life changes, I wanted long lasting and have accomplished that.

My real estate company is now netting $ 2,000 passive income now. Will work on tweaking this some and on working my way out of my slowlane business I THOUGHT was fastlane when I started it 20 years ago. Oh well, owned my own job and time at least and had time while kids were growing u for important things. So, now a total loss.

For 2013 I'm launching live my website and plan to top $10,000/mo in 18 months (or less)...so lets say by JULY 1, 2014. I'm already seeing interest and have already about 100 people signed up in just over a month from the marketing site.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
In 2012 I wanted to double revenue. Achieved this mid October, so I guess it was a success. Same aim for next year and hopefully I can write nearly the same in December 2013. Besides that business aim I feel lucky that I got more free time for myself and my wife/family and that everyone is healthy.

sal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 14, 2012
An expensive yet effective learning experience.

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
Also, check this out : Horror-Praktikum: Warum ich als Praktikant ein 100.000-Euro-Jobangebot ausschlug | Studium | ZEIT ONLINE (my guess is that he worked at GS/MS/DB M&A in FFM).

One guy in the comments said he should've done it
1-2 more years.
You definitely learn a lot there, although the work load
is tremendous.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
One guy in the comments said he should've done it
1-2 more years.
You definitely learn a lot there, although the work load
is tremendous.

Well, you learn how to put together pitch books and how to do financial modelling. Its really useful if you want to stay in the finance world, but outside of the industry you don't necessary need to know how to build advanced financial models in excel. Investment bankers get great corporate jobs etc after an analyst stint because the employers know that they are workhorses. You won't learn anything entrepreneurial there. And yes, the workload is crazy. I just did a 8 week internship but had a couple allnighters in there (although some voluntary: work -> club -> shower in gym -> back to work without going home ;)). I always loved the deal-making aspect about IB (which only comes at the VP+ level), which is why I'm getting into commercial real estate brokerage now, which is basically the same function/role as IB, just with properties instead of companies, earlier responsibility and an entrepreneurial environment.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
man, I don't remember if I posted in this thread before or not (more than likely I probably have). Even though my friends and associates hate when I say this, I have no problem saying: my fastlane failed. Yeah, I got my products on someone's shelves (yes plural in the same spot, CHYEAH), yeah I was in the "clique" for a lil bit, but...I got nothing.

Anyway, I did increase my income by $22k in the matter of 6-8 months......innnnn the slowlane. Why am I so good at hustlin' in the corporate world, but I suck at hustlin' my own business? I love this job, but ehhhh I still have Aventador dreams :). Having a comma in my paycheck isn't all that gravy when I spend about 40 hours a week to get it. Gotta make that money in your sleep.

Atleast I learned, I promise not to make the same mistake. Gonna change the name of my LLC as well, I'm going a different route in 2013. I've been networking with a few successful local folks that have been nice enough to talk to me and give me some awesome nuggets of wisdom. Though this year was rough as hell, I am glad it was, because it just made me more motivated.

I'm like a diamond, the more pressure you put on me, the more beautiful I will look in the end :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.