The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You don't need to be an expert

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Blimey, this reminds me of an early job I had - teaching harmonica. I had never really played the harmonica before I got the job, but had played a bunch of other instruments. What I learned in about a week meant I was good to go with teaching kids (aged 5-11). Sure it's easy to stay two steps ahead of kid, but how many of us overestimate people's abilities in certain areas just because they're older, or exceed our abilities in other areas, or some other foolish thing that means we think we can't help?

At one point I even had two 11 year olds who had been playing for years, & yes, were better than me. I just focused on composition and reading music (they had never been taught proper notation) & they still got value from me till they graduated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Yes, I remember I teached a kid Latin at my high school time.
I think I was the all time worst Latin pupil there!
But I earned a lot of money for that time.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump.
You don't become an expert then help people.
You become an expert BY helping people.

Jinzou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 1, 2024
Germany
This kinda blew my mind. I tend to heavily overthink things: "Hold on, I can't do xyz, I didn't learn that in school /university! Better start shopping books, register to some courses etc. before I can even consider doing xyz". I think it connects with your advice to believe I'm enough with what I have just because I'm saying so.

Your perspective here is a new insight for me, I've never considered it that way. I'll be saving this in the front of my brain from now on. Thank you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This kinda blew my mind. I tend to heavily overthink things: "Hold on, I can't do xyz, I didn't learn that in school /university! Better start shopping books, register to some courses etc. before I can even consider doing xyz". I think it connects with your advice to believe I'm enough with what I have just because I'm saying so.

Your perspective here is a new insight for me, I've never considered it that way. I'll be saving this in the front of my brain from now on. Thank you.
That's a very important mindset shift.

Here's a couple of threads that reinforce it:

cmh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Feb 2, 2024
Texas
Good post @Andy Black . As I've gotten older I've realized that most people are totally incompetent buffons, and that if you just show up and do your very best at any given field and learn as you got, you'll be better than average. Do your best for 12 months and you'll be among the best.

Certainly we must stay ethical and not put others in grave risk by 'faking it', but as long as you take on a new task in reasonable chunks, simply solving real problems is the best way to learn.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.