The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You are Rich and barely have to work -What do now with all the freetime?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Another business. I get bored easily. It's also the source of my #3 regret in life.

Last summer I got to a point where my business was running to a point where I only did maybe 15 minutes of 'work' every day (skype call). I spent the rest of my time and money eating out (every single day...), working out and playing computer games. I got arrogant (I even said that I'll never need a job again haha). I was bored and lazy, was sleeping 10 hours a day, gained 10 pounds of fat, and within the next 2 months everything fell apart. I ran out of money (had no savings), sales stopped, and I hit a wall. I wasn't even making a lot of money, that's the sad thing.

I then quickly realized: with the time and money I made, I could have very easily started something new and grew it to make my 'ghetto fabulous' lifestyle more sustainable. I could have worked on my current business a bit more to make more money. Now I'm back at square one, and it's all my fault.

Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
One way flight ticket to Thailand.
Figure it out from there, don't come back for a year.

Best thing you'll do in your life.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I've never understood the

"Achieve a level of success where no one can tell me what to do anymore... So now ill ask a bunch of strangers on the internet to tell me what to do"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
looking to go in few months. Bangkok? Chang Mai?

For me it's Bangkok and Phuket.
Couldn't have asked for a better time.

Checking out Koh Phi Phi is a must.

phi-phi-island38.jpg

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
business is running smooth and i only need 2 to 4 hours a day infront of the computer

I know nothing about your business or financial situation, but I'd personally start using your free time to consider what would happen if your current business was suddenly obsolesced.

Would it be a minor setback or inconvenience or would you be gasping for life like a fish out of water (like all those SEO guys who lost everything overnight from google updates because they thought the train ride would never end).

That's personally the question I would ask. And if you are truly kicking that much a$$ that boredom is your only problem - good job!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Another business. I get bored easily. It's also the source of my #3 regret in life.

Last summer I got to a point where my business was running to a point where I only did maybe 15 minutes of 'work' every day (skype call). I spent the rest of my time and money eating out (every single day...), working out and playing computer games. I got arrogant (I even said that I'll never need a job again haha). I was bored and lazy, was sleeping 10 hours a day, gained 10 pounds of fat, and within the next 2 months everything fell apart. I ran out of money (had no savings), sales stopped, and I hit a wall. I wasn't even making a lot of money, that's the sad thing.

I then quickly realized: with the time and money I made, I could have very easily started something new and grew it to make my 'ghetto fabulous' lifestyle more sustainable. I could have worked on my current business a bit more to make more money. Now I'm back at square one, and it's all my fault.

Lesson learned.

Oh man, Oh man... How I can relate.

Agree with building another business, but that's me personally bc I get bored easily too.

I got to a point once with a prior business a long time ago where I also checked in on it maybe 15-30 min a day. So much money was coming in and going out I couldn't keep track of it, so I didn't. Someone could have took $50k out of my bank account and I wouldn't have known it or even seen it.

I had the false mindset that since it took me 10 years of hard work to get to this point and that I just spent the last 6 months working 20 hour days, missing my kids ballgames, taking my laptop to restaurants to work while my family ate, and working through vacations that this was finally the "reward" time of my life. You know, time to enjoy what I worked hard for.

Also got cocky and arrogant, but not stupid. I didn't spend foolishly the money I had, but I did grow cocky thinking it would always be this way and that I would never have to get a job again and that I could always make this work. That lead me to be lazy and put up a false sense of security.

Some lessons I learned personally for myself were:

1. Nothing last forever
2. Always treat a business with respect, and always treat it like a real business.
3. Make hay while the sun shines no matter what
4. You better have enough hay stored up to last you through the winter
5. Don't forget numbers 1-4

You can get back up.

I did, but with a lot more knowledge and insight than I had before.

Zorro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 18, 2013
I almost made it
business is running smooth and i only need 2 to 4 hours a day infront of the computer

can anyone recommend me some nice things to do with all the freetime?

specific things you normally dont think about and that grow you as a person

my age : 22
Im slowly getting old thats why Im asking

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Basically, what I do is consider an apocalypse style situations, and what skillsets I'd need to survive. Even if it never happens, it's a nice theme to keep me doing things I'm interested in (learning stock exchange never entered my list)

Things like:
  • Gardening
  • Beekeeping
  • Archery
  • Tailoring
  • Beer brewing
are what interest me and are on my list. However, the things that (for me) would come first involve starting video/audio content shows... since that's really what "keeps me going".

Hell, you can even mix these things together in cool and interesting ways. Grow deadlynightshade, get your bees to harvest it (for some psychoactive honey?) and see what happens when you brew that into some mead.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Here are a few things that gave me the biggest growth spurts in my life:

- Live and work abroad.
- Travel the world
- Meet and work with different people, cultures, social statuses.
- Work on a cruise ship. (It's hard work, and it will change you for life.) a post about some of the things you'll learn;
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-former-cruise-ship-employees-make-best-employment-sean-sassoon
(not my post)
- Start doing volunteer work for the people that weren't so lucky.(Yes it's not all about doing or not doing. not everyone gets a fair chance at life.)
- Start martial arts classes.
- Fitness. (I prefer calisthenics strength training)
- Learn how to dance.

As hemmingway said, there are a few things that every man should do in order to be called a Man;
Plant a tree, fight a bull, write a book and have a son.

Plant a tree: Do something good for your surroundings, give life.(Nature/people etc)
Fight a bull: Take a challenge that challenges you both mentally and physically.
Write a book: Share your knowledge, learn the knowledge that you need to have to share. Become an expert. (P.s. for the ones that take write a book literally; I'm talking about an actual Book here, not about some content marketing, promo ebook. An actual book that you hold in your hand. There are 999.999.999.999 Ebooks out there and 999.999.999.998 of them are total crap and not to be considered a 'book'.)
Have a son: Become a parent, become a mentor, a coach. Teach someone how to stand on their own legs in this world. Guide them, teach them how to be a man. etc etc etc.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
what's your end vision and how does that align with what you're currently doing?

Freedom on all levels for myself and others, provide massive value in life and leave a legacy.
Everything I do revolves around that.

"If a man knows not what harbor he seeks, any wind is the right wind." -Seneca

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
What have you been doing? Sold out of all those PHX properties? You really scored on your timing!

I can't complain. Still own the properties in PHX. Prices and rent are significantly higher. After PHX recovered I started reading a lot and eventually branched out to other states where yields were better.

Last month closed on a 1800 sqft detached home in Memphis, TN for $86k and already rented out @$975/mo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2xTBp

Now that this is done, my family and I are going on a cruise/visiting some cities in Europe. :hurray:

Also watching the Canadian real estate market. My friend flips houses here and I hang out with him and try to learn by osmosis. Never know when the knowledge might come in handy.

I also read a lot and exercise. Kid takes up a lot of time. But it's all good.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
this question shows that you are not mature enough to have free time

why are you on earth anyway ? like 95 % of the population, you don't know and you don't care anyway

the masses don't know either . they are the energy of society . they are here to work for the masters behind the scenes

Energy ( the masses ) is a tool used by people who do know why they are here and their mission on earth.

View attachment 28306
Broseph... this thread is old as dirt and the op checked out as new contributor like 4 years ago.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
This thread keeps coming back to mind over the last few days. I have to admit to spending a certain amount of time thinking about "what do you do when you have it all?" mind games. Call it a recurring daydream. Anyway, if you find yourself with a substantial passive income from your fastlane drive, you would do well to found a charitable organization. There are many reasons why the wealthy past and present do exactly that.

Operating a charity is a worthwhile pursuit. It gives you credibility in the eyes of others and a purpose every day. It also has tax shelter possibilities that are not to be overlooked. For a lot of people who make themselves successful to the point of not having to work, the lack of a place to go and a thing to do each day is a change they can't adjust to. If you have a foundation, you can go to the office after you work out; check on the staff (perhaps your kids, who may need a job while they work on getting their fastlane going) and attend events. It's something for you to do, and you help whatever cause you are passionate about. Many people, myself included, have posted in this thread in some way about perusing something spiritual. Nothing is 'better for the soul' than helping others, and nothing is more self directed than creating the vehicle that helps who and what you want in a way you define.

As an estate tool, charitable foundations are key tool used by the wealthy. Instead of putting money into a trust fund for your heirs, you put it into an entity that grows tax free forever and they can participate in it without conflict of interest and they aren't getting a hand out. During your life, the money you put into the charity is a tax deduction and while you no longer "own" the money you donate to your charity, you still control it. I can almost guarantee that you will do a better job of applying that money than the government would have, so why not take it out of the tax man's grasp?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
If you wanna live well
- health
- relationships
- entertainment creation
- your own projects

I currently travel and use my free time on a lot of life enhancing things. One day business will accelerate and support all that, but currently I live better than most billionaires.

I study the biological sciences, talk to surgeons, study physiology, design art off it, understand all the science behind who and what we are and how to keep healthy. This works to decrease anxiety when facing health problems a STAGGERING amount.

I always work on bettering my relationships, my personality, my ability to endure crap and give.

I create entertainment for friends, help teach them what I've learnt in life, this can be through music, or writing or whatever else.

I develop projects to help my friends and my future family and society, pro-bono.

If you think there are limits, you really haven't looked.
I'm looking into helping create all kinds of things to help people, business is just a necessary tool so I can do it all in a responsible way.

And I've finally learnt, not to run away from the pain of that responsibility anymore but to embrace what it can help me bring forth.

When I have more money I'll build a big house, fly my friends around more, and work on my pro-bono projects. :)

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
"Sounds like a solid plan actually." Thank you. And remember, those altruistic types are not only there to sing you praise, they are prime candidates to give to your cause.

This is actually something I've put a good deal of thought into. Here are a few more things you may want to know. A charity has to spend a certain amount of it's income each year, but that amount is less than the taxes a comparable portfolio would pay. So when you donate 10% of your income (which is now a personal tax deduction, even though you give it to yourself) you now have to pay out something like 5% of that to the recipients of your largess. That leaves most of it in the charity's portfolio. Now, not only are you donating all the law will allow to your foundation, you are raising funds and getting those afore mentioned altruists to contribute too. In short, you take pre tax dollars and invest them tax free, and get others to contribute too, and you pay out less than you would if you were paying taxes on it, AND YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER WHERE THAT MONEY GOES. You decide who it helps, so if you don't want to pay freeloaders like your tax dollars do, you don't give it to freeloaders. You give grants to who and what you have elected to help, not to the welfare class.

There are rules about how much you can pay yourself to do this, but the charity can pay you to run it, and pay your kids to work there, and so on. If you are financially set, you don't have to pay yourself. Again, you don't own the money but you do control it. You can build up quite a nut when there are no taxes coming out of it.

This is part of my long term plan. I have tasks at hand right now, but this is where I'm going.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've never understood the

"Achieve a level of success where no one can tell me what to do anymore... So now ill ask a bunch of strangers on the internet to tell me what to do"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IOW, red or white Ferrari?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I can't complain. Still own the properties in PHX. Prices and rent are significantly higher. After PHX recovered I started reading a lot and eventually branched out to other states where yields were better.

Last month closed on a 1800 sqft detached home in Memphis, TN for $86k and already rented out @$975/mo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2xTBp

Now that this is done, my family and I are going on a cruise/visiting some cities in Europe. :hurray:

Also watching the Canadian real estate market. My friend flips houses here and I hang out with him and try to learn by osmosis. Never know when the knowledge might come in handy.

I also read a lot and exercise. Kid takes up a lot of time. But it's all good.

See, I got you to answer the thread's question! ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hypothetically I might take off early on a Friday afternoon, and head to my local horse track to catch a simulcast of Saratoga's rescheduled Grade 2 Adirondack stakes race.

Hypothetically.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
International travel
Fitness
Theatre
Sporting Events/ Concerts
Outdoor activities
Grow your spiritual side
Strengthen relationships with family/friends/lover/associate
Focus on having a clean diet (if you don't already)
Read interesting things

Make a bucket list and cross them off as you can. Google to read others to get some inspiration on what you would like to see and do.

Focus on growing/ expanding/ automating your business (If its not everything you want/need it to be)

Invest in yourself and your personal development. Anything you want to improve in yourself (physically/mentally/emotionally) and in your life make a list and focus on that.

Congrats and good luck to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.