The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You’re not selling wholesale?

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Bump.

I just wanted to say, if there's only one thing that you take from this thread, it should be this: follow up.

Received a wholesale inquiry a year ago. Talks died out several times. Kept following up, and just received my first PO from them.

Received another wholesale inquiry last month from someone with 2 locations, exchanged a few emails, and then never heard back after I sent them my wholesale application. Just followed up with them and offered some free "test" units, and they were more than happy to take me up on the offer.

I haven't even actively sought out wholesale accounts yet.

For sure. I will be posting a new progress thread on the Inside soon.

Looking forward to this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Hey guys, I got my first large order but I'm worried that it's a scam @Valor @amp0193 @Scot

The buyer wants to buy 200 units, pick up and ship it to Argentina. He provided an address which does not lead to an address but a house. His name is very generic - Paul Smith. What type of payments should I take to ensure that I do not get scammed? He said he can pay by credit card. Can this be a stolen credit card and later, charges be reversed?

Lucious

Lucious
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 13, 2016
Australia
Hey guys, I got my first large order but I'm worried that it's a scam @Valor @amp0193 @Scot

The buyer wants to buy 200 units, pick up and ship it to Argentina. He provided an address which does not lead to an address but a house. His name is very generic - Paul Smith. What type of payments should I take to ensure that I do not get scammed? He said he can pay by credit card. Can this be a stolen credit card and later, charges be reversed?

Does he have a registered business number? Registered Business name?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Just like @Lucious said, does he have a business name, LLC?

If you’re concerned about it, I’d say for new customers that can’t provide a credit report from D&B, they must pay with a cashiers check/certified check. (Maybe wire transfer)

Also, why does he want to ship them international?

If not a scam.. congrats!!

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014

Don't be afraid to ask questions about where they plan to sell, why the order is shipped overseas, etc.

Wholesale accounts aren't just a simple transaction like customer purchases. They are an ongoing relationship, and the more you guys are on the same page, the better (if it is indeed legit). If he is hesitant to provide more info, I'd be very cautious.

Maybe ask which payment method he prefers. This could be a tell-tale sign too.

This all reminds me of another question I wanted to ask everyone here. What are your application processes like for opening a wholesale account? Old-school PDF, digital forms, something else? What info do you require?

I don't really have a specific process for this at the moment. I want to appear as professional, while making it as easy and fast as possible for someone to complete, and at the same time gather enough info to weed out all the deadbeats.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This all reminds me of another question I wanted to ask everyone here. What are your application processes like for opening a wholesale account? Old-school PDF, digital forms, something else? What info do you require?

I don't really have a specific process for this at the moment. I want to appear as professional, while making it as easy and fast as possible for someone to complete, and at the same time gather enough info to weed out all the deadbeats.

It really depends on who you customer is. If its a large retail chain, they're going to have their own very detailed and involved process, that you will have to conform to.

If you're selling to independent retailers... @AllenCrawley or @amp0193 you guys have more experience here.

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA

Hi,
Old school...call the guy or have him call you and follow your instincts after asking a couple of questions.
Greg

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA
Certified funds only. Copy of valid ID card. Signature receipt, and only HE can sign for it.
How about both? Get all that good stuff and still talk to him. I told you I'm old school. There are guys a lot smarter than me and you that can probably figure out how to forge a "valid ID card." I believe, yes, you're instincts are correct and you'll get paid. By the way, congratulations on the big step in the right direction.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
If the total value is worth $2,000 or more you could get him to pay via escrow.
Escrow.com have reduced their fees on small transactions.

I like escrow because the buyer has to pay before you deliver, and provide you precisely meet the terms of his order, the escrow company will pay you when you have proof of deleivery or if to Argentina, proof of shipment.

Just beware of the risks in relying on a requirement to get his signature on a delivery document. Styluses used to sign delivery gadgets could well result in a signature so distorted that it would not stand up.

Not only that, but most delivery people couldn't care less if Mickey Mouse signed.

Walter

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
To commemorate my 50th thread on the Fastlane Forum, I wanted to share a topic that is very core to my business.

It’s a simple concept.

If you sell on Amazon, but not wholesale to other retailers, you’re throwing away millions of dollars.

Let’s look at this.

View attachment 19709

On this pallet is 900 units. This sale took about an hour worth of work. To date, I’ve sold 800 units on Amazon.

Let that sink in for a minute. In about 2 weeks time, with about an hour of actual work, and 37 short emails back and forth, I sold more unit than I did on amazon over 3 months time.

We talk about how Amazon is killing Brick & Mortar, but that’s simply not true. Wal-Mart, Target, Auto parts stores, grocery stores, clothing stores, and many others are not going anywhere anytime soon. And hundreds of millions of people shop at them daily.

Would you rather sell on 1 Amazon site or 5,000 Walmart stores?

Wholesale is the Scale part of the equation and if you’re not using that multiplier, you’re missing out.

Lastly, amazon businesses for sale on business broker websites are a dime a dozen. And multiples aren’t all that healthy. But one thing that does improve a multiple and more money on an exit, is a wholesale channel to your business.

Evaluate how your products can be sold to B&M. If you think your product is too generic to be sold in a store, it’s probably too generic to be sold on Amazon. Think of who your customer is, then think of where they shop. Those stores are your customer too.

If this thread shows enough interest, I’ll dig in deep to how to enter wholesale, get customers, get distribution.

Pick up the phone and start dialing.

Just remembered about this thread! I'm looking into wholesaling my own products atm, right now just doing direct to customer but one of the goals is definitely wholesaling off to big box stores.

Thanks for the post!

Mark_Entr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 18, 2020
Here’s an example of Distributor margins.

Widget A has an MSRP of $14.99

Store wants a 35% margin - $9.74

Distributor wants 30% - $6.81

Thanks a lot for sharing the info, but I believe the math has a common mistake of calculating the percentage off the end price instead of the base price:

Item final price = $14.99
sold it to retailers at $9.74 so they make a 35% margin.

but:
if the store wants a 35% margin, and we sell to him at $9.74
then his profit is: 0.35 *$9.74 = $3.4
meaning he must sell at $9.74 + $3.4 = $13.14
which does not match the $14.99 we wanted as final retail price

Last edited:

Matte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 7, 2018
Italy
I just got in contact with a wholesale company in my country, they asked me for a 50% +50% discount on the retail price minimum.

So that means if the price is 20, I would need to sell to them at 5?
Is that normal or are they asking too much?

Temerity

Purveyor of Fine Mouthwash Goods
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 23, 2013
Boston
Very useful thread. I know it's a few years old, but wondered if anyone could be more specific about a couple of things:
  1. Who makes the terms in a wholesaler arrangment? Who provides the contract? I think bigger retailers may do that, but in the case of smaller ones, who should submit agreements and expectations? Something legally binding is important here, just not sure how to approach that. Are there lawyers who can help, or is that even necessary in your experience?
  2. What should be considered in an agreement? I know margin will be huge, but what other important points should be pondered?
  3. Since I am only marketing to local businesses, I will act as my own distributor. Will advertise it as free shipping. Any other considerations I should be aware of in that regard?
Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.