The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Yesterday I Bought a Fancy Drone and Today it Flew Away

Anything related to matters of the mind
G

GuestUserX09

One thing that is so frustrating about making any amount of money as an entrepreneur is the discipline of spending. I'm the first to adamantly preach about keeping money in your pocket. Forget the name brands, the flash, flair, the nights drinking at the bars, etc.. I'm all about self investment and investing in whatever the current project is. At least 85% of spare money strategically goes to positive growth.

Every now and then, I do treat myself, if business is going well, I've been hustling consistently, I'll gift myself. Sure. But how do you approach your spending?

My fancy new drone flew over the Savannah river this morning and lost connection, then proceeded to accelerate into the clouds and disappeared. I immediately thought of how many ads I could have ran. I feel decently guilty, although I knew that this was a possibility the day I purchased it.

The thing that confuses me is that, If my financial circumstances were different, I would have thrown a fit. But I can't bring myself to be angry about the loss of the drone– it's just material right? But on another hand, I feel irresponsible and neglectful to my business. What would potential investors (there are none) think if they see me sailing off big cash into the sky and shrugging when I could have invested in the business?

In short– the issue seems that, the more money I have at a time, I almost become easier going about losses. For example, I'd love to be just as frugal with $1,000,000 in my pocket as I am with $100. I hate that I could only shrug my shoulders as a mortgage payment flew off into the abyss this morning. It's just material right? Too many feel good self help books?

Whoever finds the drone will find an SD card full of the most beautiful aerial shots in history -.-

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
One thing that is so frustrating about making any amount of money as an entrepreneur is the discipline of spending. I'm the first to adamantly preach about keeping money in your pocket. Forget the name brands, the flash, flair, the nights drinking at the bars, etc.. I'm all about self investment and investing in whatever the current project is. At least 85% of spare money strategically goes to positive growth.

Every now and then, I do treat myself, if business is going well, I've been hustling consistently, I'll gift myself. Sure. But how do you approach your spending?

My fancy new drone flew over the Savannah river this morning and lost connection, then proceeded to accelerate into the clouds and disappeared. I immediately thought of how many ads I could have ran. I feel decently guilty, although I knew that this was a possibility the day I purchased it.

The thing that confuses me is that, If my financial circumstances were different, I would have thrown a fit. But I can't bring myself to be angry about the loss of the drone– it's just material right? But on another hand, I feel irresponsible and neglectful to my business. What would potential investors (there are none) think if they see me sailing off big cash into the sky and shrugging when I could have invested in the business?

In short– the issue seems that, the more money I have at a time, I almost become easier going about losses. For example, I'd love to be just as frugal with $1,000,000 in my pocket as I am with $100. I hate that I could only shrug my shoulders as a mortgage payment flew off into the abyss this morning. It's just material right? Too many feel good self help books?

Whoever finds the drone will find an SD card full of the most beautiful aerial shots in history -.-
Don't beat yourself up over it. It's okay to reward yourself when hitting a milestone or two. The fact that you lost that reward is irrelevant. Same thing could happen whether it was nice watch, new suit, whatever. Well, those things wouldn't fly away but the suit could get ripped while getting in or out a car. The watch could be dropped and shattered. Cars could be stolen or wrecked. etc.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014

When I read this, my concern isn't for your drone. What about the risk loose drones are to planes and the people on board.

As a pilot, this is something I've thought about in the past. Hitting a hard object at 100-170 mph in a small private plane or 250-700 mph is a jet would be horrifying.

I have a drone too, phantom 3. So I'm not trying to criticize owning drones. The technology is very cool. But as much as I hate regulation there really should be some requirements how these devices operate. I'm sure no one would want toys roaming around in the freeways.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Apperently you don't know Casey Neistat yet lmao, dude broke at least 4 drones by now

G

GuestUserX09

@GIlman I agree with that as well, it was a malfunction with the connection since I was in range before the disconnect. It was about 200M high and climbing with a very low battery. I am almost certain if it didn't land on a roof it could have caused some serious damage when it comes down.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
When I read this, my concern isn't for your drone. What about the risk loose drones are to planes and the people on board.

As a pilot, this is something I've thought about in the past. Hitting a hard object at 100-170 mph in a small private plane or 250-700 mph is a jet would be horrifying.

I have a drone too, phantom 3. So I'm not trying to criticize owning drones. The technology is very cool. But as much as I hate regulation there really should be some requirements how these devices operate.
Curious. Would hitting a drone really be detrimental? I would think hitting a bird could be just as dangerous.

Belcher

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 24, 2016
Australia
My fancy new drone flew over the Savannah river this morning and lost connection, then proceeded to accelerate into the clouds and disappeared.

I'm sorry but I had a little giggle about that...

I'd look at it this way
If you went bankrupt within the next 6 months would you blame the drone?

Personally, It'd be a waste of cash If i were to go out and spend my money on the drone because I'd debate whether or not I could afford it.. However i wouldn't second guess myself going out to dinner as a reward for a milestone..

It's all relative IMO.

G

GuestUserX09

@Alxander But he's Casey Neistat, so he'll magically recover it or just get 6 more in mail time. In reality, my money just sails off to drone heaven. I would consider tracking it but it's within a 2 mile radius, it was way up in the sky and speeding away with the quickness.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Hitting birds is horrifying. But birds often try to evade you, they don't want to be hit either. But sometimes they get hit too - see pics.

But a drone is even harder than a bird. it has metal. Some of these drones could probably take out a commercial jet engine.

0d59a4747651843b751c6196526687d2.jpg

6b3d14dfb85674424dd8847065b6bfcb.jpg

36bc37f65f7d44eeb8a904445add0908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

GuestUserX09

@jon.a It's scary that I considered immediately getting another. I contacted the manufacturer and unless they send another, I won't be getting another anytime soon.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Hitting birds is horrifying. But birds often try to evade you, they don't want to be hit either. But sometimes they get hit too - see pics.

But a drone is even harder than a bird. it has metal. Some of these drones could probably take out a commercial jet engine.

0d59a4747651843b751c6196526687d2.jpg

6b3d14dfb85674424dd8847065b6bfcb.jpg

36bc37f65f7d44eeb8a904445add0908.jpg

That is crazy. Thanks for sharing. I had no idea. Technology breeds technology. Drones are here to stay. Maybe some type of deterrent can eventually be developed to avoid those types of scenarios.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016

I believe a flock of birds hit US Airways Flight 1549.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.