The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you take this opportunity?

Hutch1980

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 8, 2013
I have an opportunity to work in North Dakota. I have a friend who is 98% certain he can get me on with his company. To make a long story short. I would be able to put (after taxes and living expenses) around 140,000 in the bank in 24 months. I feel that this is an opportunity to have the proper capital to start my fastlane business with zero debt.

Would you do it?

thoughts? Feedback?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Could there be any ulterior motives behind your friend's proposition? What is this job? What can it teach you? What kind of people will you encounter on a daily basis. Does it drag you out of a comfort zone? Does it expose you to a market (and its related markets?) Do you like the weather there? Do you have an idea of WHAT the fastlane is going to be? Does it require that kind of ch-ching? Can you 100% look in the mirror and be sure that this is not a disguised action-fakery (I am not insinuating anything, just telling you things I would ask myself if no emotions were involved.)

WADM it.

Hutch1980

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 8, 2013
No ulterior motives and this opportunity is on the up and up. The only reason anyone is working up there is because of the cash. I live in North Idaho so the weather will not be as intimidating to me as it would be with peoe from warmer climates. If anything, this will teach discipline. I did 2 combat tours in the Middle East and was paid peanuts. Working in North Dakota and getting paid 6 figures doesn't sound so bad after my experiences. My fastlane business will not need 100k to start it, but being debt free and having the cash to properly market my business is definitely a plus. As far as job advice? Not really. I just noticed on these forums that people say if they only had the capital to start their fastlane business. I am asking if people would really sacrifice 2 years and a lot of hard work to be able to attain their dreams of starting a business with that much liquid capital.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have many friends and family that have moved to ND either short or long term to take advantage of what is happening there. There are many, many fastlane stories playing out around the boom towns in ND. I think you should go. No question.

I met a guy who was flat broke. He decided he couldn't go wrong by going there and getting some work. Long story short… he bought a school, turned it into condos, and within the next year when a corporation comes along and buys them out, he will have $4m in the bank from his cut of the proceeds. 4 years from the poor house to the penthouse.

You should go there. Establish residency as soon as possible, as it will take you 6 months to become a resident, and then there are NO STATE INCOME TAXES.

Save your money. There will be plenty of opportunities all around you in ND to use it as a springboard to other fastlane opportunities.

If I was in my young 20's and single, I would be there in a second.

The other posters might not have understood the significance of what is happening right now in North Dakota.

Also be aware that every possible way to spend your money is happening there, from expensive condos to gambling and hookers. If you want to do it RIGHT, move into one of the low rent man camps. Live for a few years like nobody will so you can live the rest of your life like nobody can.

Good luck. Drop back in here from time to time. Go.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Oh by the way, the guy that converted the school? The coolest part of the whole deal is at the end of the new condo school building, he built himself a 3BR/2BA condo. When the building sells, a stipulation is he keeps his custom condo he built. Private entry. For the rest of his life, he has a condo in ND that he can use as a crash pad for hunting trips.

Brilliant. #Fastlane.

Go.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
By the way, your numbers look about right. You should be able to gross $100k per year. Federal income taxes and living expenses. Keep your expenses as LOW as you possibly can. Don't fall into the trap. A lot of dumb a$$ kids are leaving their money there. Either take your money with you when you leave, or find a fastlane business idea there and pour your money into it.

RUTHLESS. EXPENSE. REDUCTION.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Hmmm someone above said you come to an entreprenuer forum asking for job advice...

You need "funding" you were saying for a fastlane business. NO WHERE DOES IT SAY that you should not take the best job you possibly can while ALSO CONCENTRATING ON YOUR FASTLANE business.

So yea, if I need money to currently survive I'll take the best I can, and then I will reinvest every penny possible from my "job" into a fastlane business...because I understand the fastlane business is MY REAL GOAL.

You can end up getting comfortable with the job, but heck, if you are smart you will understand that it is not your ultimate goal to just make a few hundred thousand a year...

If I were in your position, I would take the job, learn everything I can from it, reap its rewards and simultaneously WORK my a$$ off to get a fastlane business going... Once the fastlane business makes me money to replace a dead end job, I leave the dead end job.

(I used to work as a construction worker, made $ 120 cash, building walls, doing flat roofing work and the likes of such...easily replaceable...any job is easily replaceable.)

Seems I hit the post button after all of Vigilante's post...they are informative, and just further proves you should take the opportunity.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This toughest part about this plan is getting out after getting used to making $100k a year. In two years you could have a comfy life.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This toughest part about this plan is getting out after getting used to making $100k a year. In two years you could have a comfy life.

Agreed Bio and that's where a lot of kids are going wrong in boom town right now. They are walking around with a roll of bills in their pocket. One of the largest cities actually encouraged hookers to come in, as the townspeople were getting the brunt of thousands of men in town per woman. Cars, fine dining, everything. Many many ways to spend your money.

You have to go in with a plan to bank the money. Hell, send the money to a relative and have them deposit it for you into a bank account that you don't have a debit card for. What ever it takes to secure the very reason you went there in the first place.

You start buying cars, get a nice apartment, have a hooker on standby and your favorite table reserved for you… and you will still be there 5 years from now and now you NEED the income.

Live in a man camp. Or, buy a tow-behind trailer and bring it with you and live in a camp. What ever it takes to keep your living expenses as low as you possibly can.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Great point. The majority miss it, and underestimate it. Once the income comes in, lifestyle increases. A nice new car, nice apartment, nice clothes, whatever -- then quitting no longer is an option. Lifestyle enslavement ensues. Then the topic of this thread becomes "I want to get in the Fastlane, but I have 2 kids, a mortgage and a car payment -- I can't afford to quit my job!!" -- how many times have we seen that here? Oh, about a gazillion.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
I'm with Vigilante. Were it not for my familial obligations -- for the record, I love my family -- I would have been in Williston, N.D. yesterday, already. The opportunities there are endless, especially anything real estate - related. Those man camps? They outta be called "cash printing presses"!

Go and pick up that paper.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hutch..you posted this yesterday. I hope you're on your way right now. Definitely go. But like the guys have all said...go with a plan and live CHEAP ! I've done this before. 2 yrs will fly by and you'll have bank and it feels great ! Look for opportunities there...so all the dumb asses spending all their money give you some.

You're military. You have discipline. This will be a walk in the park for you.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
I'm with Vigilante. Were it not for my familial obligations -- for the record, I love my family -- I would have been in Williston, N.D. yesterday, already. The opportunities there are endless, especially anything real estate - related. Those man camps? They outta be called "cash printing presses"!

I have many friends and family that have moved to ND either short or long term to take advantage of what is happening there. There are many, many fastlane stories playing out around the boom towns in ND. I think you should go. No question.

Not to hijack the thread, but why is there so much opportunity in ND?

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
Vigilante has pretty much nailed it IMO. That whole situation reminds me the Wild West times. You definitely don't want to miss it, but (keeping the analogy) you don't want to simply go there, dig some gold, 'live big' by spending it on hookers and/or liquor and lose 2 years of your life either. Go there, make some money and start 'selling shovels' or 'providing hookers or accommodation' for other diggers in the fastlane way. Don't take it literally of course, but I'm sure you get what I mean. Provide some value for other diggers, and they will happily share some money with you. Scale up and live big then if you want. Good luck.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
he bought a school, turned it into condos, and within the next year when a corporation comes along and buys them out, he will have $4m in the bank from his cut of the proceeds.

Interesting... Might be time to start buying property in rural South Australia:
http://www.thebull.com.au/articles/...-may-contain-world's-next-major-oil-find.html

Hutch1980

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for all the input. I told my friend that I wanted to move forward. Its looking like I will have to take the train over there and stay for a week to do some onboarding. Its still not 100%, but its looking about as good as it can be for not being a done deal. I do have a wife and 1 year old son. They will move into her parents house (plenty of room, no rent and they wouldn't have it any other way while I was gone). We are going to sell the BMW and she will drive the SUV (which is paid for). My father-in-law is a Stage Manager for big time entertainers so my wife is used to a schedule like 3 weeks away, one week home.

I will keep everyone updated. Hopefully this opportunity works out and I can start around the beginning of the year or even sooner. I am a Real Estate guy so hopefully I can seek out some opportunities while I am there.

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta

I like to always think I'm "in the know", but either I forgot about or just did not know about this development here.

Although, my father did vaguely mention about 4 years ago going to N.D. for work, but I told him just because he enjoyed visiting didn't mean he could handle the winters.

Hmmm, maybe I was wrong...

D

DeletedUser394

I need to learn more about this then. I'm 20 y/o and single.

It's pretty simple really. Where there's oil, natural gas, and/or other resources there's going to be a huge influx of people. Those people will need lodgings, services, etc. Labor shortages result in massive salaries.

There are dozens of locations around the world where young guys are making 6 figures+ doing labor intense resource extraction. They're young, dumb, and naive (aren't we all), and are just waiting to give you their money.

Just North of where I live there are guys living in trailers (there simply aren't enough homes to meet demand at this time) that make 100k-250k per year.

A friend of mine turned 20 not too long ago and bought a house with cash using a portion of what he earned on a rig.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'm going to look into this more. This can give me a big boost in life and towards my fastlane goals.

On B&D (Bold & Determined, an awesome blog) there was an article titled 18 Things Every 18 Year Old Should Know. This was #14...

"14) If you need a job get a sales job or a manual labor job

If you need a job, if your entrepreneurial gig isn’t paying the bills, then sales or manual labor are great. Working in offices is for women and girly-men. A sales job will teach you how to make money and a manual labor job will build your body while you get paid. In fact, there are quite a few manual labor jobs that will pay you big, big bucks. You’ll have to do some travel and work some long hours but you can make 100k+ per year working on offshore oil rigs. A young man with a strong back could work 6 months out of the year doing manual labor and spend 6 months free, traveling, working on an entrepreneurial gig, or doing whatever you want."

He had this hyperlinked at "working on offshore oil rigs" http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-9826.html

When I first read that I actually thought about it a lot and wanted to ask about it here. Now I am considering it even more.

@Hutch1980 I need capital too man and I really need time to decide on a business that I am willing to work on for years. Doing what you are considering can give me that while still being productive, most likely more productive there than if I were to stay in CA.

What kind of work are they doing there and how long until I can get qualified for it?

I'm focusing on internet marketing right now and that is most likely manual labor right? I'm young so I have the freedom and energy, I can probably do both at the same time. I might even be able to start my own business sooner than expected.

Last edited:

mustang1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 13, 2013
Just checked it out, only problem is rents are crazy high in the boom areas.
I love this statement. It just proves that if there is a problem, there's also a great opportunity. Demand for accommodation has to be astonishing over there.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Just North of where I live there are guys living in trailers (there simply aren't enough homes to meet demand at this time) that make 100k-250k per year.

A friend of mine turned 20 not too long ago and bought a house with cash using a portion of what he earned on a rig.

I'm 100% willing to live in a trailer...not for too long though haha. In ND, I bet it's normal too...I'd do it.

How long does it take to qualify for whatever jobs they are doing there and what jobs are they doing there?

I never thought of myself as a blue collar guy but I can do it temporarily, for a year or a few years. I've always been in great shape and actually enjoy it (did some work for family and family friends several times, it's much better than not moving around like Victor Pride says).

Damn man, one of my best friends from HS is in the USMC and guys in his rank get paid less than $30k annually I am sure. If I can do 6 months of work/study and 6 months of focused entrepreneur action that would be perfect!

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Just checked it out, only problem is rents are crazy high in the boom areas.

I guess guys are living in trailers, I'd do it. We can earn and save a lot of money to be used towards a business or investing.

You're 19 y/o man, I was 19 y/o a few months ago...are you really considering it too? I am...

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I agree w/ Vig, lots of opportunity there for the ambitious. Good paying jobs, and then just keep an eye out for entrepreneurial opportunities. Can you even get any housing there now? Is some supply coming on line?

US is close to becoming the worlds leader in oil production. Sell some "shovels" to the modern day miners!

My buddy has an airline charter biz and ambulance air service out of MN that does well in ND.

I met a guy who was flat broke. He decided he couldn't go wrong by going there and getting some work. Long story short… he bought a school, turned it into condos, and within the next year when a corporation comes along and buys them out, he will have $4m in the bank from his cut of the proceeds. 4 years from the poor house to the penthouse.

You should go there. Establish residency as soon as possible, as it will take you 6 months to become a resident, and then there are NO STATE INCOME TAXES.

Save your money. There will be plenty of opportunities all around you in ND to use it as a springboard to other fastlane opportunities.

If I was in my young 20's and single, I would be there in a second.

The other posters might not have understood the significance of what is happening right now in North Dakota.

Also be aware that every possible way to spend your money is happening there, from expensive condos to gambling and hookers. If you want to do it RIGHT, move into one of the low rent man camps. Live for a few years like nobody will so you can live the rest of your life like nobody can.

Good luck. Drop back in here from time to time. Go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.