• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Join now and within minutes, you can start getting advice from real millionaire entrepreneurs who live the dream.

GOLD Why only certain people "enjoy" the process? (Or is it something else?)

Discussion in 'Mindset, Motivation, Choices' started by Paul David, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Paul David

Paul David Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,697
    Are you using the reference to escaping death/living long as a metaphor or not?
    I'll answer those questions you asked with my current mindset:

Why do we want to make money?
    I want to make money because first of all i hate the fact that my Wife has to travel 40 mins to work to sit at a job each day she hates. She has to because we need the money. Secondly i want to make more money because whenever my children are off school or whenever i choose i want to leave this country and go somewhere else. Thirdly i want to make money because i want the freedom it will provide me to do whatever i want with my time regardless if it makes more money or not.

Why do we want to be healthy?
    This of course is related to death. I do not want to die young, especially before my children are grown up. However the reason why i exercise every day is because i usually get to a point where my jeans are tight around my thighs (i put weight on thighs rather than stomach) and it annoys me so much i start cutting down. I also don't eat vegetables apart from peas really. I just don't like the taste. If i could eat they way i wanted and not put weight on would i exercise? Absolutely not. It's a means to an end.

Why do we want to have good relationships?
    This is a difficult one for me. When i left school i worked for my Father in a scrap yard with him and two other men. After a few years i left and started my own computer shop where i worked on my own for years until i started getting help from a retired paramedic. I've had the odd other staff member of the years but thats about it. I closed the shop and sell 100% online and now i have two staff members, one of them is my brother. I work at home 4 days a week and during those days apart skype conversations i very rarely speak to or see other people except my wife and children. (apart from school run).

I watched Justin's youtube video above and although he lost me half way through i agree that we are always running towards things we deem make us happy.

Here's my day with the current processes and my ideal day with same processes but more earning more money.
    Currently: 7.30am - 8.30am I get Kids up, breakfast, dress them and take to school.
    9.00am - Home and 3 mile run in my garage on treadmill.
    9.45am-10am Start working for the day, usually until 12.30pm-1pm then i'll have dinner at home alone.
    1.30pm-5pm. Apart from Mondays when kids aren't in after school club i will work at my desk. Might have a ten minute look at Soccer websites at 3pm, local newspaper website. Then i'll go and pick kids up at 5pm.
    5.30pm-8pm. Give kids tea, wife is usually in work so i'll have my tea with kids or after on my own. Shower or bath kids and put them to bed.
    8pm-11.30pm I work downstairs on the sofa with my laptop whilst my wife watches the TV.
    That's a general day Monday to Friday.

Now here's another way to spend the day with same business processes.
    7.30am - 8.30am Kids up for school, breakfast, dress them and then my wife takes them to school whilst i do my 3m run.
    9.00am - Start work for a few hours.
    12.30pm-1pm Go out for lunch with my wife somewhere. Maybe a bit of shopping. Clothes etc.
    4pm. Do another couple of hours work until around 6pm.
    6pm Wife has done the tea, collected kids up from school.
    8pm-11.30pm We could get a babysitter and go to the movies, watch a play, go for a few drinks. Or i could go back to work for a couple of hours. Unless there is a soccer match on or a good film watching TV bores me. I'd rather work.

2. Harti

Harti Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,316
    It's meant literally.

1. Why do you hate the fact that your wife has to travel 40mins to a shitty job? My guess is because you love her. Why do we love each other and bond? It has developed as a survival mechanism because groups survived better than loners in the past. On a personal level, we love each other because we fear being alone.* Why do we fear being alone? Because our genes say "we die when we are alone".

2. Why do you want the best for your children? Survival. Your genes need to live on.

3. What feelings do you connect with NOT having the freedom you want to have? Being a slave? Wasting your life? What's wrong with that? We fear that our resources are (ab)used without us getting a return (ie. survival of the offspring) from it. Why do we fear that? Our death and the death of our genes.

We can literally connect about everything we do to the fear of death until we've resolved that. This is a painful process for the ego that includes letting go of what we consider the "I" and results in what people call enlightenment.

You start this process by asking yourself the simple question "why?" The deeper you go, the more you'll see that the answers are always feelings. If you stay with those feelings long enough, the truth reveals itself as the clouds vanish.

* Assumed it's not unconditional love which comes from a vast abundance of emotional resources, a state only very few people on this planet have reached.

Christophe and LPPC like this.
  3. JScott

JScott Platinum Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,052
    Exactly. Money is just a multiplier. If you're happy, more money will make you more happy. If you're sad, more money will cause bigger problems that will inevitably make you more sad (don't believe it? watch a couple TV shows about lottery winners...)

G-Man, OldFaithful, Yoda and 4 others like this.
  4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $208,876
    Admin Post
    Diamonds probably don't enjoy the process either....

But that pressure is ultimately what causes that rock to shine.

mayRaS.P.B., Kelly C, G-Man and 25 others like this.
  5. Kung Fu Steve

Kung Fu Steve Gold Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,676
    At the end of the day there is a science to achievement. You follow certain formulas and you achieve a certain result. Like a recipe. MJ and the Fastlane reveal one of these formulas. There's laws, there's steps, if you follow them -- you will find the success.

On the other hand there is an ART to fulfillment. What fulfills you will be drastically different than what fulfills me.

It is a **MUST**, not a should to figure out this part of life.

You can achieve all the success in the world, you can make everyone else happy -- but if you can't make yourself happy? If you can't master the art of being fulfilled? Well, you end up like a Chris Farley, a Kurt Cobain, or a Robin Williams.

Being fulfilled doesn't mean you're happy all day, every day. In fact, it usually takes a little discomfort to find out what your true path is and what truly fulfills you -- and the reason it's called an ART is that there are a million things you can do to be fulfilled... but I will warn you that not a single one of them involves an event.

You remember MJ talking about process versus event, right?

The challenge for most of us (me included) is that there have been several times in our lives where we think "if only THIS would happen, then I can be happy."

A financial goal, a thing goal, a relationship -- a whatever. 100% of the time though I guarantee the moment you hit a goal -- something you've wanted to achieve there will be a point where you say "is this all there is?"

It happens to every single human being.

Astronauts who go to the moon, return to a ticker tape parade, dinner with the president, and then they become alcoholics... because what is there to do once you've been to the moon? Something you've trained your entire life for? And you realize that EVENT that THING that you wanted so bad and achieved? Well it wasn't really the thing itself...

We're all looking for a feeling. An emotional state called happiness. Satisfaction. Pride. Winning. Whatever you want to call it. But the dangerous part about seeking the event over the process is that state is temporary -- that's why we all ask "is this all there is?"

So to answer your original question I'd highly recommend while you think being in love with the process is bullshit -- you must find a way to love it.

You must find a way to make the day-to-day work fulfilling because the danger if you don't is that you may end up bored, you may end up frustrated, you may end up lethargic, you may end up depressed, sad, angry, pissed off, you may end up feeling like "what's the point?", and ultimately you may end up living a life unfulfilled.

And I would argue that's the ultimate pain.

Where you let yourself become so dead inside that you can't enjoy the adventure of a smile. Where you won't let yourself get excited because you've been let down so many times that it would be foolish and naive to allow that to happen again. Where you spend 8-12 hours of your day slaving away at work that you hate, work that isn't fulfilling, work that doesn't support you.

I agree most people are saying they "love the process" simply because Gary V says it and it's cool. But I've got to say if you don't find a way to be fulfilled in your work -- there's a good chance it's going to lead to a miserable existence.

There's my 3 cents... I had an extra penny in my pocket today...

mayRaS.P.B., Chimp, JAJT and 24 others like this.
  6. Fortune5ive

Fortune5ive Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $192
    Anyone who says that bs already made their millions.

7. ksc23

ksc23 Knower of nothing FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,701
    I believe many successful people say it because achievements are fleeting, but the process is everlasting.

Events (achievements) are snapshots of life, while process is the entire film.

A personal example: When I was in high school, I used to dream about living in Thailand by myself, supporting myself via online poker. A couple of years later, after hundreds of hours of studying poker theory and grinding out hands, I was there. I was standing on my apartment balcony in Chiang Mai one night, looked out over the city and lights, and thought to myself, "I'm f**king miserable."

The effort and dedication I devoted to mastering a skill contributed more to my happiness and self-confidence than the external achievement.

8. luniac

luniac Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,379
    I've stumbled upon a book recently called:
    FLOW
    by MIHALY CSIKSZENTMIHALYI

It's a psychology book and is based on a lot of collected research

I'm only 30 pages in but a key message is to get absorbed in whatever you're doing, whether u enjoy the activity or not.
    Happiness is a tricky thing, if you ask "am i happy?" you're no longer happy.

I'm an amateur athlete and have been familiar with the "In The Zone" concept for many years, but i've never though about it outside of a sports context.
    The book has a sports section i haven't reached yet but i have a feeling that's what it'll be about.
    I'm intrigued by this connection. Being in the zone 24/7. That might be true happiness.

The reasoning is that as humans we've historically always tried to find meaning in life, and end up depending on religion, or existentialism or whatever. But these are just distractions and eventually the mind once again wonders back towards questioning reality. And since as far as we know so far, we can't find this answer, it causes suffering and whatnot...

But when you're absorbed into some activity, hobby, or whatever, you're just not thinking about these unanswerable questions.
    It's like happiness through distraction, but a fulfilling distraction, a long lasting distraction.

Watching TV is a distraction too but it's not quality like improving a skill or solving problems, etc. Simple pleasures for the sake of pleasure are also not the answer.

Anyway the book is real interesting so far!

Gotta thank sinister lex, he mentioned the book "A guide to rational living" and i looked up a cool summary discussion of it:
    https://www.optimize.me/wp-content/uploads/A-Guide-to-Rational-Living.pdf

The summary mentioned the book FLOW, and well i found it free to read online so couldn't resist.

Young-Gun, The-J and Curtis Randolph like this.
  9. luniac

luniac Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,379
    LMAO that's hilarious.

no man diamonds are slowlane!

Cubic Zirconium diamond machines are fastlane

10. Paul David

Paul David Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,697
    Very Interesting thanks.

So I've just woken up and checked my shipment in China to see if it's cleared customs yet. No it's still on hold. Has been for 3 days now. We've got no stock of 80% of our lines. Sales are down drastically.

My other supplier has sent me a Skype message saying an order is ready to ship and needs payment. I can't pay because of the delays from the first order has caused a major cash flow problem.

If I had money then the first problem wouldn't be great but certainly not as stressful as it's making me now and the second issue wouldn't exist because I'd simply pay for the goods.

Processes haven't changed but my enjoyment of them would be drastically different.

Of course I could be then unhappy about something else but at least it's on a rung higher up the ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiftySeven likes this.
  11. Kung Fu Steve

Rep Bank:
    $13,676
    I feel like you're confusing the word process with the word problem. And you might think it's semantics, but it's not. Language is SO important because the way we describe an experience becomes the experience.

This particular situation is what we call a problem. Sure it's a part of the greater process of building a business -- but that's what a business IS, finding solutions to problems and then delivering on that again and again and again.

Now the truth is you probably like dealing with some problems more than others, right?

You enjoy solving the problem of 'how do I collect money' or 'how do I ship this item' -- and I'm guessing you've already solved these problems. Or at least come up with a solution that's repeatable.

The challenge that you're having right now is frustrating and pissing you off because you haven't solved the problem yet.

And if I may be so bold -- the reason that is is because your emotional state in this moment is blocking your creativity -- blocking your resourcefulness.

When you're in a state of frustration, angry, lethargic, pissed off, overwhelmed, overloaded, sad, depressed you AREN'T going to come up with a bunch of different ways to solve the problem -- and this is where you are right now.

How do I know? Because if you only have 2 options -- you've failed. I don't know you so I don't mean to shove this in your face but from what I understand the only way you can solve the inventory problem is by paying the money... and the only way you can pay the money is if you get the inventory. No wonder you're in this zone!

If you were *in this moment* in an emotional state of gratitude, confidence, certainty, power, strength, happiness, joy, excited, motivated, creative -- you're going to say something like:

"Well what if I call the supplier and try to negotiate 90 day payments even though no one else has been able to do it?"
    "What if I put this on a 0% interest credit card and then repay that in 90 days?"
    "What if I ask a friend to invest for a couple of weeks while I solve this cashflow problem?"
    "What if I find a different supplier that will work with me on this?"
    "What if I can find a supplier that will supply smaller order sizes until I can afford a larger order?"
    "What if I can partner with my supplier to create a win-win situation for us both?"
    "What if I can partner with my customers to create a win-win situation?"

NOW you have options. When you have options you're in control. When you feel like you're in control? THAT'S when the process becomes fun. THAT'S where you turn this feeling of overwhelm into a feeling of POWER.

And if you think I'm just blowing smoke -- ask any of the top entrepreneurs on the forum here. The reason this community is so powerful is because when you're in a shitty emotional state you can call someone and say "hey man, I've got this problem. What do you think I can do?"

... which is kind of what you've done right here. Maybe the question in your next post should be "I'm having cashflow issues, what are some creative ways to solve it?" I guarantee you you'll find gold.

But last thing I'll say is that if you're in one of these negative emotional states you're going to respond to every one of those questions with:

"I can't. No one can. They said no. I don't have any friends. There aren't any suppliers. No one will do smaller order sizes. I can't partner with my supplier. I can't partner with my customer. That's stupid. That'll never work."

So to come full circle and answer the question one last time...

You've got to start from a place of gratitude, brother. If you aren't grateful for these problems you're having you have forgotten (in this moment) what a freaking awesome life you lead to be able to do something like this. Can you imagine the 60k-desk warriors who are going to be there for the rest of their lives until they get laid off? Can you imagine the people who can't start a business because they are terrified out of their wits at what you're facing now? You are a fucking warrior -- a gladiator!

Look how much further ahead you are. Look at what you've already accomplished. Look at your mindset and how it's different than the vast majority of people around you. And then start to get grateful for the shit you've forgotten. Like your health, your family, your wealth, the roof over your head, the technology you didn't have to invent that you run your business on now -- hell the ability to HAVE a problem like you're currently having.

When you're grateful, when you're happy, when you're excited. You enjoy this thing we call a process.

No one said it would be easy. They only said it would be worth it.

mayRaS.P.B., Chimp, Harti and 42 others like this.
  12. MTF

MTF Never give up LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $36,893
    Manumusashi, iizu, LPPC and 8 others like this.
  13. Paul David

Rep Bank:
    $3,697
    @Kung Fu Steve thank you. That certainly hit home. It is a problem that i haven't solved and it's getting to me. It has been for months if i think about it.

I would like to offer my sincere thanks for you taking your time to write such a long and detailed reply. And i would also like to thank everyone who's contributed.

I do have a friend who has always said he'll borrow money to me if i need it. My Dad has also said in the past that if i really needed it he would re-mortgage one of his properties. I hate asking anyone for money though.

I know my Dad will have a go at me, give me the 3rd degree etc. Even though he's got about 20 properties and i've never asked him for anything before. He'll really make me feel like shit. I was thinking about this the other day and i was with my 8 year old son at the time who's very clever and i said to him, if you ever need anything whether its support, money or anything else don't ever be afraid to come to me. I wouldn't want him to feel like i do now. I've actually been working my way towards asking my Father for months but just can't seem to do it. I know he's got a cash flow problem himself at the moment which hasn't helped. It's not easy picking up the phone and saying Hi Dad, any chance i could take you up on your offer of remortgaging something and putting £125k in my bank. Thanks. haha.

I suppose not knowing is the worst part. If i think about it, even if he does give me shit can it be worse than what i'm facing now? If he says yes then i would feel like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

Anyway i'm going on a different tangent now so i'll leave it there.....

startinup, Ika, Deceiver and 2 others like this.
  14. Van Halen

Van Halen Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $128
    Earning money is in 4 layers:
    1. Survival
    2. Status
    3. Freedom
    4. Purpose

Hicks, amp0193, CycleGuy and 10 others like this.
  15. Kung Fu Steve

Rep Bank:
    $13,676
    125k is a big loan. What is actually necessary to fulfill your purchase orders now? Or how committed are you to moving every unit to ensure that money get repaid?

We can talk emotion all day long but you also need strategy. If you're looking for a sunset and you run east as hard and fast as you can -- you'll never find it.

What are you selling? Is it a high end product? What would you do with the 125k? Could you accomplish the same thing with 25k? or 2.5k?

Within a few seconds you already became more resourceful -- keep it up!!

16. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $208,876
    Admin Post
    Done.

Also featured a few others.

Also marked GOLD.

Kingmaker, LPPC, vinylawesome and 4 others like this.
  17. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $89,610
    Read the entire thread. Your focus seems to be on not having money. Yes, it is stressful when you can't pay bills or business is going the way you planned. But this focus on if I just made money I would be enjoying the process is not the correct one.

I wouldn't being enjoying it either today. But in 2 months when things are going well, you will be enjoying it. Enjoying the process doesn't mean that every single day is fun. Shit, who wants to do their taxes or count inventory all day. It's the overall process that you should enjoy. If you end up in Dec 2017 + $100,000 profit you will probably look back and say that 2017 was tough but a good year!

It's not about the days, it's about how we string them together to make a life that is fulfilling.

In The Blink Of An Eye Everything Can Change

JAJT, proper, iizu and 12 others like this.
  18. mindfulimmortal

mindfulimmortal Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $352
    There is a great book called Shop Class for the Soulcraft that examines the changes from building/making things (motorcycle, woodworking, etc.) to the move of more of an abstract services or information work. Back in the day we all were part of a process of building something physical. You got to see the results of your process such as a new motorcycle being driven off your lot. Today we sometimes don't see the customers result or solution being solved directly and the sense of satisfaction is challenging. There is no holy grail answer to make it more direct but understanding the process and what Costomer Jobs to be done are being solved helps.

19. InspireHD

InspireHD Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,299
    Wow, this one brought back a huge emotion and memory.

In 2014, I decided I was going to run my first half-marathon. To give me motivation I signed up for a Rock 'N Roll Half-Marathon. I like t-shirts and medals so it was a perfect fit. I spent all of 2014 training. I went from barely being able to run 5 minutes to being able to run for 2.5 hours. I ran in the rain and I ran on days it was 100 degrees. I had days I went to run and couldn't last 2 miles and had days where I was so in the zone I didn't want to stop. I ran a couple 5k races for fun and really enjoyed it.

Then, the big day came. I didn't run as fast as I wanted to because I was with a friend who kept stopping, but by mile 10 I left him and practically sprinted the last 3 miles. As I passed people on those final miles I could hear people making comments to each other about how fast I was going. It felt great!

Afterward, I went for a walk to stretch out and then when I went home I looked in the mirror and it suddenly hit me....."now what?" I trained so hard for so long, went through ups and downs, and dedicated so much time to running. Suddenly, it was over. What do I do now? I literally started to cry. I just finished a huge accomplishment for myself, but I felt empty.

I decided to sign up for another one on the other side of the US to do a little traveling. It eased the pain of that "now what?" moment, but I never really got back into dedicated running and after running a third half-marathon in 2015 I decided it was time for something new.

I just wanted to share this story because what @Kung Fu Steve is so true and it brought that memory back to me.

20. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $51,421
    Not sure what my point is but I am basically a lifetime runner. Not the prototypical one either. A little on the stocky side, poor lung capacity, not very tall, etc... But faster than shit!

But, I love to run. Miles and miles and miles...

I have run on teams, with clubs, solo, groups. I have run in almost every city that I visited. On almost every trail, road, mountain top, harbor, coastline, canyon... Through the grand canyon, the harbor in Tampa, top of mt whitney, golden gate bridge, death valley, inner city of Vegas, wilderness in Wyoming, Houston, corpus Christy coastline, everywhere in san diego, phoenix, Prescott, Hood to Coast in Portland, through the Columbia River gorge, on the beach in south of France, into the inner city of St. Lucia and out through the banana plantations, the list goes on.

I met my wife while running. I proposed to her in front of our running group.

Many years of team racing, marathons, adventure runs.

Running has been my life. Along with building a business, playing years of softball, raising kids, etc... :)

Kelly C, vinylawesome, Nily and 7 others like this.
  21. Yoda

Yoda Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5
    No Western States 100? No UTMB?

Come back when you've done something. :smuggy:

SteveO likes this.
  22. wade1mil

wade1mil Platinum Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,872
    I've been on both sides of this. The difference for me was scarcity mindset vs abundance mindset.
    That's it.
    Nothing is fun when you have no time, money or hope.

G-Man, Nily, luniac and 3 others like this.
  23. Darko Jocic

Darko Jocic Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $558
    So, you wanna enjoy the process, eh? Well, let's analyze what seems to be the issue.

First, why don't we pinpoint exactly when you are not enjoying the process? It might surprise you, but, it's not while you're in the process. You feel dissatisfied with the process only in the brief(hopefully brief, that is) pauses you make in between resuming the process. A person can only focus on one thing at a time(you can look it up yourself if you need to), which means "multitasking" is a very fast shifting of attention from one thing to the next(had to mention it, since most people try to discredit this with "multitasking exists, so you're wrong").

So, while you're in the process, no problems. As soon as you stop being in the process, problems occur. Interesting...

Looks like you're stopping the process so you can think about how much better it would be if you had everything the process is supposed to provide for you.

Moving on. You say you need more money and traveling in order to enjoy the process.
    - Ask yourself this: "Can two(or more) people feel differently about the same thing?", or: "Can someone have the money and the traveling, but still not enjoy the process?"

Obviously, yes. The world is vast, after all. So?

So, THAT IS the very point. If an object can be looked at from different perspectives, then it obviously ISN'T the thing that's creating the perspective.

Whoa, you've just solved your own problem instantly. 2 people feeling differently in the same circumstances is 100% legitimate proof that the feelings are entirely controlled by the person, as the person is the only variable. The environment stays constant.

"You said just money and traveling, but now you're saying everything except the person is the same!" Exactly. Why? Because relevance. You could get a brand new toaster for free today, but it's not what you think you need to enjoy the process. You've singled out money and traveling for a reason. They're relevant. Anything else could change, but you need those exact things to enjoy the process. Everything else is irrelevant, right?

Right. Well, not quite. Yes, everything else IS irrelevant, since you singled out what you wanted. And yes, money and traveling ARE important to you, because you've singled them out. Now, we've already proven that they, by themselves, can't help you(like, at all) to enjoy the process. But, they are important, still.

We all know very well what we want; What we need, not so much.

So, now, we've proven that what you feel, i.e. your perception, is fully within your control, you're the one creating it.
    Now, you may or may not be wondering: "If it really was in my full control, everything would be picture-perfect, right?". Not necessarily. Are YOU picture-perfect?

This has been getting deeper than I've originally intended, so I'll just stop.
    My point was, YOU are responsible for everything. Nothing in the environment can really affect you, and as such, you don't need money or traveling to enjoy the process. You need to accept that there is nothing stopping you from enjoying the process(except yourself). Let yourself enjoy, and you will.

Paul David and cmor16 like this.
  24. germandude

germandude Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,137
    Whenever I feel overwhelmed, stressed out and look at the hardships to come, I remember one sentence and go on. It's magnificently perfect because it invokes the need for work and the need of control in you. The sentence is:

"All you can do is all you can do. And all you can do is enough."

25. G-Man

G-Man Platinum Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,819
    Just read the entire thread, and all I can think is: What would Victor Frankl say?

Maybe: Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.

Maybe: Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.

Maybe: Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it.

Mostly I think he'd say: I was happier in Dachau than you are in __________. Maybe your situation isn't the problem.

Before anyone gets offended, yes I'm putting words in Victor Frankl's mouth. This is the internet dammit. :clench:

Deceiver, amp0193 and Kingmaker like this.