The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why I Left RD Forums

thenewguy25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 23, 2007
Clarksville, TN
I still go to the RD forum daily. I am a MLM person, but i am almost ready to move on. This is why I Joined the forum. So far I have move onto affiliate marketing. Now I think I am almost ready for some realestate. I have a few more books to read, and a few thing s to pay off. Any way, I think there is still valuable discussions on the RD forum. you just have to look past the bad ones

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas
I came across this forum on RD. There's a lot of quality, don't get me wrong, but RD forums have a lot of non-important posts that you have to dig through. Here is nothing but quality.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thanks for the heads-up Bob.

And our heartfelt best wishes for a smooooooooth transition!:cheers:

-Russ H.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
have any of you checked out the RD forum lately? They have redone it. I haven't spent much time there but it looks better. I will give it some time. Maybe they will moderate it better this time.

except that the problems don't have anything to do with moderation - they have to do with policy.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
I checked it out today and I must say I did not care for the new look. i didnt spend much time there but it would appear the content is still the same. Sad frankly. Makes me appreciate this forum even more now.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I checked it out today and I must say I did not care for the new look. i didnt spend much time there but it would appear the content is still the same. Sad frankly. Makes me appreciate this forum even more now.

I've gotta defend myself a little bit here.:boxing_smiley:

The content is the same, since we didn't want to delete any of the old posts (lots of complaints on that one last time).

I did get Admin status on the new forum, which allows me to do more editing/deleting/blocking. I'm doing my best to review each and every post to make sure they align with the Code of Conduct we set up.

Unfortunately, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out. Since I'm in NY, and they're in AZ, I can't always just walk down the hall to get an answer.

I don't plan on going backward to edit old posts, but I'm going to do my best to watch them going forward.

Keep checking back...I think things will get better soon.:icon_super:

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
At first glance, I don't like the appearance of the new forum. But that will change with time. I am, however, very happy to see that they made a change and that they recognized that something had to be done.

Bob, good luck keeping the place in order. As I have offered in the past, if you need any assistance, let me know.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I left because it seemed i was giving more advice then getting... which i dont mind. but at this point in my life i need people who are above me that i can learn from. i was not getting what i needed out of that site anymore...

liv42dy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 6, 2007
...I would almost prefer a venue where the folks on the boards are screened, and it's kept to a select group of folks who are interested in sharing their knowledge and experience with each others. Maybe folks could be added slowly, based upon referrals -- sort of like the local country club :)
:cheers:
- Hakrjak

I am hoping that your intention in posting this remark wasn't to suggest a.....um......how do I put this.......an "elitist" forum, where only those who are wealthy or have wealthy connections could join. How would the normal people who are desperately trying to get out of the rat race supposed to make connections with the people that can help them (people like you) if you won't let them in? (Please don't take my tone to be derogatory or argumentative -- just asking a question.)

I, personally, have a fair amount of knowledge in a lot of different areas; and I love sharing that knowledge with the people who are open to the responses. But I am now venturing in a new direction, a new field of interest where I have to ask lots and lots of questions, and approach a lot of different people to get answers. I do not have any wealthy friends or relatives, and the investors I have tried to approach locally have all blown-me-off. (I look a lot younger than I am, and I'm blonde....so people easily dismiss me.)

There are a lot of people out there who have lost everything they have worked so hard for due to a divorce, a lawsuit, an illness, a move to a new city, a lost job, etc. They're just trying to get their life back together, and are working very, very hard to do so. But they lack the connections, the personal and financial health, the team members, the like-minded people (who they know they need in their life) in order to be successful. The people who most of you can just pull out of a roladex and easily convince to invest in your ideas.

I agree that there are some people who just want a "free ride", but many of us are doing everything we can to get back on our feet with little or no resources available to us. Unlike the RD forum, this forum is a haven for people like me.... a treasure trove of great people with great ideas! It is my hope to make my business as successful as many of yours; but I'm not going to do it so that you consider me to be worthy enough to be part of your "country club" membership. I'm doing it because the more successful I am, the more people I can help (investors, clients, and charities alike).

Again, I am not trying to be combative. This is just how I interpreted your post. If you wish to clarify, I would love to hear it (or read it, or whatever).

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I dont think thats what he meant at all...

I didnt see anywhere that he said you have to make or have this much money. its more about the attitude of the people not their net worth!

I dont have 2 nickels to rub together. we still are living paycheck to paycheck. If my dh didnt get a new job last week(after only being out of work 6 days) we would be starving in the dark by this time next week!

Your entitled to your own opinions about whats said here as am I and hakrjak can elaborate more if he choses. this was just my interpration of what he said...

Dennis Taylor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Dec 5, 2007
I'd gone there years ago, when I first found out and read the first RDPD book. What I saw was helpful, though I was very, very new to it - I may have simply lucked out on what I had read.

Feeling very motivated, I went and bought every single RD book I could find (there went my entire bonus) and read it with such voracity I think I may have given both my eyes and brain whiplash...it’s since healed.

I’ve gone to a few seminars since then, kept up on my reading and scouring the web for prudent advice and answers to questions.

My wife and I have now started on our voyage to financial freedom.

Back then:

Enough credit card debt to choke congress, several delinquent accounts for misc. loans, huge car payment, lots of frivolous monthly expenses and absolutely no checks and balances system - other than balancing the always empty checkbook. Credit - shoddy.

Currently:

No credit card debt at all, all credit cards paid off. Misc loans, only 2 left, soon to be zero. Sold overly expensive toy car, and cut way down on frivolous monthly expenses. We’ve since put our financial ‘lives’ into a financial statement and though it’s not great, it’s a lot better than where we were. My only existing loan is a student loan, and that’s next on our targets to obliterate. Credit - Good, almost Great!

We’ve been looking at properties left and right. There seems to be a realtor who’s taken a liking to us and has no problems showing us properties. We’ve worked it to if he’s showing one, and it’s in our areas we’ve expressed interest in, he’ll ring us up and we’ll meet up at the showing. We’ll swoop in, once the other interested party has cleared the scene - giving us time to do a tour of the property.

It’s amazing what people will do for you if you let them know your intentions.

I look forward to a very lengthy and wonderful stay here on the forums.

I also look forward to hearing from each of you! :love1:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'd gone there years ago, when I first found out and read the first RDPD book. What I saw was helpful, though I was very, very new to it - I may have simply lucked out on what I had read.

Feeling very motivated, I went and bought every single RD book I could find (there went my entire bonus) and read it with such voracity I think I may have given both my eyes and brain whiplash...it’s since healed.

I’ve gone to a few seminars since then, kept up on my reading and scouring the web for prudent advice and answers to questions.

My wife and I have now started on our voyage to financial freedom.

Back then:

Enough credit card debt to choke congress, several delinquent accounts for misc. loans, huge car payment, lots of frivolous monthly expenses and absolutely no checks and balances system - other than balancing the always empty checkbook. Credit - shoddy.

Currently:

No credit card debt at all, all credit cards paid off. Misc loans, only 2 left, soon to be zero. Sold overly expensive toy car, and cut way down on frivolous monthly expenses. We’ve since put our financial ‘lives’ into a financial statement and though it’s not great, it’s a lot better than where we were. My only existing loan is a student loan, and that’s next on our targets to obliterate. Credit - Good, almost Great!

We’ve been looking at properties left and right. There seems to be a realtor who’s taken a liking to us and has no problems showing us properties. We’ve worked it to if he’s showing one, and it’s in our areas we’ve expressed interest in, he’ll ring us up and we’ll meet up at the showing. We’ll swoop in, once the other interested party has cleared the scene - giving us time to do a tour of the property.

It’s amazing what people will do for you if you let them know your intentions.

I look forward to a very lengthy and wonderful stay here on the forums.

I also look forward to hearing from each of you! :love1:
Welcome! Thanks for the intro! Glad to have you here; keep us posted on the progress!

Reisteve

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 6, 2007
Why I left RDPD?

Well the primary reason is content. Whether you are just begining or been doing it for a while and are looking for input on a "deal", it is all about content.

It is my hope that the content here is better than the RDPD- period.

At one time you could not beat the RDPD board, but now... well let's just say times have changed.

I look forward to seeing how things go here...

Steve

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
I'm not sure I'd even spend the time to go back and wander around unless I knew that policy had changed about posting.

BTW, bob; thanks for the email and sorry I didn't get back to you. I did get it.

Andrew63

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2007
You know Russ, I was shocked after seeing that Tony Robbins Youtube clip you posted as well. I had no idea that he cussed so much. ...Not that I am easily offended- just surprised.

It is purposeful on his part. People walk into his seminars with pre-conceptions and expectations. This "pattern break" is used to jolt people like a swift smack in the face. His rhetoric tones back to the typical Tony on day two.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Why I left RDPD?

Well the primary reason is content. Whether you are just begining or been doing it for a while and are looking for input on a "deal", it is all about content.

It is my hope that the content here is better than the RDPD- period.

At one time you could not beat the RDPD board, but now... well let's just say times have changed.

I look forward to seeing how things go here...

Steve

I hate to say it, but I'm seeing a bit more "amateur night" type post around here lately. Posts about totally unrelated topics. There's a core group of people here that really have their fingers on the pulse, and I understand that not everyone can be there and help getting there is what people come for.
The RD site got old for me when the "advance investor" part of the site got over run with people posting "does this make my a$$ look big?" kinda posts. I'd hate to see this place get tainted like that. I've really enjoyed interacting in many of the threads and I've learn things as well :thumbsup: I know this a public place, I just hope it doesn't come down to having to weed thru a ton of crap each visit to extract an ounce of useful reading. I just read a new post (name withheld) asking whether or not we thought this individual should spend a huge wad on a car or a first investment.........:wtf:

I'm sorry, rant over. Let keep this place a resource not another dumping ground.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Hey Easy,

I am hoping that it is just a bit of growing pain, which will sort itself out. I do see some of what you are saying though....

I do not envy the admins around here. As the volume increases, how in the world do you manage it all?? Which, I suppose, begs the question.... how could you make it better? Could the general population help by somehow flagging posts which someone thinks might be (or definitely are) spam? This would then generate a list for the admins?? A button, perhaps? Otherwise, my guess is they have to go through every single post. At this growing pace? ughh

Hopefully, it works itself out.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Hey Easy,

I am hoping that it is just a bit of growing pain, which will sort itself out. I do see some of what you are saying though....

I do not envy the admins around here. As the volume increases, how in the world do you manage it all?? Which, I suppose, begs the question.... how could you make it better? Could the general population help by somehow flagging posts which someone thinks might be (or definitely are) spam? This would then generate a list for the admins?? A button, perhaps? Otherwise, my guess is they have to go through every single post. At this growing pace? ughh

Hopefully, it works itself out.

Thanks for bringing it up.
One thing we could try out is to use the rating system a little more frequently. I know it gets used now, but it seems like it's only done to point out the truly legendary posts most of the time.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hey guys,

We get spam alerts all the time from forums readers.

It's the little yellow triangle in the lower left hand corner of each post (between the red exclamation point and the little blue monitor).

If you see spam post, click on that yellow triangle in the corner of THAT PARTICULAR POST, and write a short note about what you think (e.g. "SPAM" is sufficient). :)

-Russ H.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
I saw the sports car post as well, but like phlgirl said that is just growing pains. I see where this forum has crossed the 600 barrier and ther looks like no end in site. With an influx of new people you are going to get the Duh!! type of questions and that will always happen, but if the experienced people here point out the ignorance of those kind of questions a lot of those type of posters will skulk away. I called a guy out (here)http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=6803&page=3 and to his credit he responded admirably. The biggest challenge that some of these newbies have is lack of wisdom but in return a lot of them bring a lot of knowledge. I feel like it can be a pretty good tradeoff, i impart some wisdom (that comes with age and making mistakes) and they impart some knowledge (technical,web stuff and overall glimpse into what the younger demographic is buying). All in all a pretty good tradeoff.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I saw the sports car post as well, but like phlgirl said that is just growing pains. I see where this forum has crossed the 600 barrier and ther looks like no end in site.

Don't be fooled by the increase in new joins ... many of them are just spammers employing their newest and latest spam technique ... post a bait question with a spam response. This requires two userID's instead of the usual 1.

As the site becomes more visible, spam detection and removal will be a key challenge.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
As the site becomes more visible, spam detection and removal will be a key challenge.

This site and the moderators are doing a fantastic job! :icon_super:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Don't be fooled by the increase in new joins ... many of them are just spammers employing their newest and latest spam technique ... post a bait question with a spam response. This requires two userID's instead of the usual 1.

MJ:

I've noticed a similar thing on the RD site.
But I've also seen that the poster and replies have way different IP's.

If there's a website in the reply, I normally just delete it.
But many times there aren't, and sometimes nothing in the sig either.

You seem knowledgable about the way IP's are set up.
How do you determine the real newbies from the spammers?
Or don't you?

Bob

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Hey guys,

We get spam alerts all the time from forums readers.

It's the little yellow triangle in the lower left hand corner of each post (between the red exclamation point and the little blue monitor).

If you see spam post, click on that yellow triangle in the corner of THAT PARTICULAR POST, and write a short note about what you think (e.g. "SPAM" is sufficient). :)

-Russ H.

Oh I had no idea either, great :thumbsup:

I don't have a problem with younger people being here, or even newbies to the site (I was a newbie here not that long ago), but it would be great (and probably a real pipe dream) if we could somehow keep the discussions useful and tighter regulate mindless posts that post outside of O.T.
I'm in a small knowledge acquisition mode and hate the idea of having to weed through crap. Most of you guys/gals have some really interesting things to say and offer and keeping that first and foremost should be priority 1.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
We try to move threads to the right forum when is clear they are in the wrong one... however we can't possibly notice all of them. The reason we can tackle spam posts is because others let us know about it.

I haven't seen the post about the car vs investing... but that is a common question from people that are just starting. I think it is a valid concern (like: should I pay my debt first or make my first investment) so I don't have a problem with those.

Also, I try to point people to the 'other thread' that tackles the same problem. If you see one like that please let us know and we can either merge the threads or close the new one and point to the existing one. That should help a lot, but again, it requires that the members report their findings.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ:

I've noticed a similar thing on the RD site.
But I've also seen that the poster and replies have way different IP's.

If there's a website in the reply, I normally just delete it.
But many times there aren't, and sometimes nothing in the sig either.

You seem knowledgable about the way IP's are set up.
How do you determine the real newbies from the spammers?
Or don't you?

Bob

You can just drop their email address into Google and see what pops-up ... many times you find they have posts in other forums that are spam. This gets them banned here before they even try their little scheme. Other flags are IP's from African and Asian IP blocks.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
We try to move threads to the right forum when is clear they are in the wrong one... however we can't possibly notice all of them. The reason we can tackle spam posts is because others let us know about it.

I haven't seen the post about the car vs investing... but that is a common question from people that are just starting. I think it is a valid concern (like: should I pay my debt first or make my first investment) so I don't have a problem with those.

Also, I try to point people to the 'other thread' that tackles the same problem. If you see one like that please let us know and we can either merge the threads or close the new one and point to the existing one. That should help a lot, but again, it requires that the members report their findings.

It would seem we could flag off topic just like spam, just label it differently, couldn't we? Great tool, by the way, I only found out about the spam button last night!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.