The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do we keep stalling

Anything related to matters of the mind

A way of life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 3, 2018
Sweden
Hello, my Name is Sebastian, this is my first serious post haven't done an introduction but I just wanted to get this out of my mind.

Why do we keep stalling?
Have you ever found yourself ready to take action but then something comes up that you just have to do before you take action that's me in a nutshell. I started my dream to become successful 6 months ago. My dream was and still is to stop working at 25 I'm 20 now and I still haven't taken action haha I'm a hypocrite. What was and still is the reason I haven't taken action in 6 MONTHS?? The reason is fear. Sometimes we know something but don't know it. We all know that if we haven't started yet it's fear for something. Sometimes we just have to hear it to realize it's true.

So I have been programming for 6 months now since my first goal was to start a web design business. I think the second biggest reason why people stall after fear is that there is always something new that comes up that we just have to learn or do. This is me. This is probably a bigger reason I haven't started in 6monthes than fear.

First, it was simple it was just HTML and CSS. After this, I could've followed fox advice and start adding value. But then the industry told me oh you have to learn sass then they told me oh you have to learn javascript before you start. You see it never ends. A solution to this is to have a clear vision from the start what you want to do and only learn what you have to do then take massive action. I didn't do it and here's my judgment.

Deep inside of me I also want to try to get a job as a front-end dev so I can get money while focusing on my web design business and other things. I knew this from the start but I waited 5 months until taking 2 minutes to look for what people actually was looking for when hiring a front end developer. Lesson learned always ask yourself what is the end goal and do I really have to do what I am doing? Guess what everyone was looking for someone who knows React also or angular. I didn't even know about those 2 so I checked into it and to my surprise, it's so dam hard and will also take a few months to learn. So now I'm finally taking a little action and i'm creating a website that I'll use to make people want my service. I'm still a little scared because I'll offer to copywrite also but as you can probably see in this post my English is not top level.

If you have a story or anything else that can help the other people on this forum out please post them below. I think what we need more in this forum is people posting about their failures about starting and other failures.

Conclusion: Why do we not take action? Fear from the truth. For me, it was and is fear of losing the certainty that I can stop working when I'm 25 and do whatever I want to. The second one is something new is always coming up that you just "have" to do before you start taking action.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RockstarDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 10, 2019
I've been programming for last 20 years and still every day it's - learn this, learn that... it never goes away.

So, keep at it... I guess we all had dream of "not working" and being gazillionaire when we are 25. Only when you start going down that road you can see that things don't work that way. As long as you can find enjoyment in process - it'll work out well in long term. Just don't shy away from accepting you don't know something and joining bigger team if you can't figure it out on your own (since you are still quite young).

A way of life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 3, 2018
Sweden
I've been programming for last 20 years and still every day it's - learn this, learn that... it never goes away.

So, keep at it... I guess we all had dream of "not working" and being gazillionaire when we are 25. Only when you start going down that road you can see that things don't work that way. As long as you can find enjoyment in process - it'll work out well in long term. Just don't shy away from accepting you don't know something and joining bigger team if you can't figure it out on your own (since you are still quite young).

I think it's good to have a vision where you wanna be and what kind of websites you wanna do. In the programming world, you don't have to learn everything. I haven't taken any real action yet so well I can't say anything to your comment that would make me a hypocrite but there is no point in saying this to someone that hasn't even started yet even if you think it's true.

I guess we all had dream of "not working" and being gazillionaire when we are 25. Only when you start going down that road you can see that things don't work that way.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
IMO it’s from being “me” centric. If we’re focused on helping others then we wouldn’t get tangled up like this.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
People are trapped by dogma.

The school system teaches you to get certificates, complete trainings and pursue other frivolous activities that do not help you in your quest. Just look at LinkedIn.

In your example:
So I have been programming for 6 months now since my first goal was to start a web design business.

This would be an excellent activity if your goal was to become a good developer (=job).

If your goal is to start a business, you should do.. well.. business. Find a customer, understand their needs/issues and learn to translate that into a solution (in this case: a design).

The job of the entrepreneur is to then find the required resources (e.g. the designer), set the price so that you actually turn a profit and then move onto the next customer.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
People are trapped by dogma.

The school system teaches you to get certificates, complete trainings and pursue other frivolous activities that do not help you in your quest. Just look at LinkedIn.

In your example:

This would be an excellent activity if your goal was to become a good developer (=job).

If your goal is to start a business, you should do.. well.. business. Find a customer, understand their needs/issues and learn to translate that into a solution (in this case: a design).

The job of the entrepreneur is to then find the required resources (e.g. the designer), set the price so that you actually turn a profit and then move onto the next customer.
Doing the “business” stuff is the hard part for me. Especially as an introvert.

I would love to sit at my desk and pound out 100 cold calls but every time I start I seize up and forget everything I’ve learned.

Our school system (I know I am to blame ultimately) teaches us to sit quietly and wait for instructions.

Unfortunately there’s no instruction manual for business. :bored:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.