The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why be rich?

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I have a very rich uncle. He’s turning 70 next year and is “retired” (family joke - he can’t sit still for 5 minutes). He’s the kind of person that could find a way to make money out of the most trivial of ideas and currently, he’s trying to spend all of his money before he dies. He is failing at this task miserably since he can’t find ways to spend it fast enough, and he continues to make money from all sorts of investments.

Since he “retired” he has become very generous – maybe he always was. He and my aunt go on cruises all of the time. He doesn’t like going on cruises very much (he’s kind of a home-body) so he usually invites and pays for friends to join him so he will have friends to chat with. My parents have been the recipient of these trips a few times. A couple of times, he has decided to gift some of his pocket change to his nephews and niece. This first time he did this, I cried and paid out my line of credit. The second time he did this, I cried and paid off the balance of my car loan.

In the fast lane….

I will watch my investments flourish.
I will spend as much money as I feel like, and at the end of the day, have more than I started with.
I will spend time with my family
I will be able to gift “pocket change” to family at my heart’s desire.
I will travel wherever and whenever I wanted to.

As it is right now… in the slow lane…

… I get to see my parents once a year (twice if they come visit me).

… My folks are coming for a visit and I would love to be able to spend time with them (but I’ve used up all my vacation this year, so I’ll only be able to see them in the morning, at lunch, in the evening and on the first and second weekend – maybe that’s not such a bad thing….)

…I don’t want to be politely reminded that I have only one sick day left this year (I’ve got a nasty cold right now and should be in bed, but I have to be in the office waiting for the phone to ring)

… I want to go visit my brother and sister in law in Ontario to meet my two week old niece (I’ve only seen a couple of pictures so far). I guess I’ll have to wait for the new year when my vacation days are replenished.

… If I juggle my vacations strategically, I get to see my Grandmother once every third year (every other year if I’m very lucky).

…. I take my son to day care in the morning, and I pick him up at night. I miss everything in between. Mind you, he’s happy at the day care, but I miss that too.

Enough motivation to be rich? I think so.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I only felt that a previous comment had the meaning of "No one loves their job, they just claim they do." sense.

That is a bit of a stretch if this is the comment you are referring to.

"Things tend to change. Management changes, rules change jobs come and go for many. Many people claim to love their jobs. It is a mindset that is required to be able to cope with the need. If money wasn't needed, why would someone get up and go to work? Only if they truly did love their work. I could certainly think of a lot of things to do other than go make money for someone else."

This is a far cry from "No one loves their job".

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Offtopic: BTW WhyBeRich.com is free in case someone wants to grab it :)

Not anymore ... someone named Jerod moved quickly! Anyone here? Congrats.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
I wrestle with this question all the time...especially now that I have a solid understanding of what the fastlane is. The fast track, and even more so- the fastlane is a mindset. Why people don't want to live this way is because they haven't embraced (and don't understand) the mindset. For most people, the thought of creating financial freedom is synonomous with greed, and greed is bad. I get crap all the time from friends and my husband who don't understand my drive for financial freedom. I hear, "Life's not all about money", blah, blah, blah. Now granted, I know that these cliche responses are just thrown out because it's easier to say something trite than it is to examine one's current world view. ...My response is generally that living a good life has NOTHING to do with money so why in the hell would I want to work 40 hours a week for it?! The same people that are telling me money isn't important are working overtime and missing family events because of it...so if money's not important, but you're willing to miss birthdays- then family must be really unimportant!
:rant:
:iagree: Love this post. rep++

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Offtopic: BTW WhyBeRich.com is free in case someone wants to grab it :)

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!
I've read everywhere that ALL GOOD DOMAIN NAMES WERE TAKEN, so this couldn't be :D

I remember somebody (maybe biophase?) mentioning once about a friend who changed his car's oil himself so this guy asked him why bother when you can get that done for $30, and the other guy replied because he liked to change oil, so when the other one asked him to then change his car's oil for free he said no... so I guess he didn't like it so much, huh? I think this was mentioned in the thread about Time... so I guess that this is my point... Wealthy == Time available for my priorities.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
IMPOSSIBLE!!!!
I've read everywhere that ALL GOOD DOMAIN NAMES WERE TAKEN, so this couldn't be :D

I remember somebody (maybe biophase?) mentioning once about a friend who changed his car's oil himself so this guy asked him why bother when you can get that done for $30, and the other guy replied because he liked to change oil, so when the other one asked him to then change his car's oil for free he said no... so I guess he didn't like it so much, huh? I think this was mentioned in the thread about Time... so I guess that this is my point... Wealthy == Time available for my priorities.

[Hijack]
Come on Jerod at least give me some speed! :icon_super:

Yeah there are good domains out there but not generic ones, so either you develop them or find a buyer...
[/Hijack]

I believe this thread has no "real" answer because money is an abstract idea, so it means something different for everybody. For me? Well its time, its control (And I don't mean control like boss/employer relation)

Anyway it feels good to understand why you want to accomplish this things in life! :banana:

ProfessorSpeed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Sep 20, 2007
Tulsa, OK
[Hijack]
Come on Jerod at least give me some speed! :icon_super:

Absolutely! My wife called me out to grill some steaks, and I got side tracked :)

Say, if you guys want I will copy a few of the great posts from this thread to the new domain. Free advertising for Fastlane...:hurray:

What a great concept for a book... "Why be rich?" Anyone want to coauthor?

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I remember somebody (maybe biophase?) mentioning once about a friend who changed his car's oil himself so this guy asked him why bother when you can get that done for $30, and the other guy replied because he liked to change oil, so when the other one asked him to then change his car's oil for free he said no... so I guess he didn't like it so much, huh?

Well, I like washing dishes
but I still have a dishwasher.
That way I only wash dishes when I feel like it.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
why be rich???

to free my dh from busting his hump everyday 10-12hrs a day 6-7 days a week.

to travel when and where I want.

to be able to give my kids anything they need.

to help my parents in retirement.

to live the life I want!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Why not be rich? Why be poor? I think if most people could, they would be rich. If you have the talent and drive, become rich INSIDE and OUT.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I challenge people here to ask these questions to people with jobs.

1) Why do you work?

Typical Answer: To earn money.

2) Why do you want to earn money?

Typical Answer: So I can pay my bills.

3) Why do want to pay your bills?

Typical Answer: So my family and I can live comfortably with the things we enjoy.

4) Why do you want to live comfortably with things you can enjoy?

Typical Answer: I guess so I can be happy.

When you ask someone with this line of questions, you find their true motives comes down to happiness and many people equate "money" with happiness. While there is some correlation, its not exclusively true as money is perceived as a grantor of other things that are thought to bring happiness: Freedom, experiences, *things*, time with family, etc.

The sad fact is the majority don't *love* their jobs and are predicted to working to pay bills to support a lifestyle that they perceive will bring happiness.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=543&highlight=time&page=2

Why Not?

Why not have all that you NEED & all that you WANT?

Why not live a bountiful happy life & help others around you to do the same?

Why not live in the knowledge that YOU CAN DO ANYTHING?

Why were we given this life if not to lead it to the fullest possible conclusion?

Life is what happens, live it consciously or let it pass you by.

Janet

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I challenge people here to ask these questions to people with jobs.

1) Why do you work?

Typical Answer: To earn money.

2) Why do you want to earn money?

Typical Answer: So I can pay my bills.

3) Why do want to pay your bills?

Typical Answer: So my family and I can live comfortably with the things we enjoy.

4) Why do you want to live comfortably with things you can enjoy?

Typical Answer: I guess so I can be happy.

When you ask someone with this line of questions, you find their true motives comes down to happiness and many people equate "money" with happiness. While there is some correlation, its not exclusively true as money is perceived as a grantor of other things that are perceived to bring happiness: Freedom, experiences, *things*, time with family, etc.

The sad fact is the majority don't *love* their jobs and are predicted to working to pay bills to support a lifestyle that they perceive will bring happiness.

Here's the line of thinking that I've found here at the fastlane:

1. Why do you work?

Because I love what I do. -or- Because the money funds my fastlane plan.

2. Why do you want to earn money?

To be (or remain) in the fastlane and to live life to the fullest.

3. Why do you want to pay your bills?

To remain financially responsible, as I know good credit and good relationships with financial companies paves the way for additional projects/deals for me to do.

4. Why do you want to live comfortably with things you can enjoy?
Because I can. ...Why wouldn't I? (Of course the "things" part is relative.) :smxB:

Seems to me that most fastlane members don't equate happiness to money, as they know that money ebbs and flows, and happiness is a state of mind.

This shift in thinking is why I'm here.

hawaiiloans

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 6, 2007
Las Vegas
I rather say "Which car/house/fancy gadget should I buy?" instead of "I'm settling on this because I can't afford what I really want."

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
Being rich doesn't mean all about money. Rich becomes a part of it from the journey you take and obstacles to make you whole as a person and not give in to the way your suppose to be brought up to be. Its taking another direction from what you thought was suppose to be. Most everyone are led to believe in working to support your family from Job, have the retirement plan and support you and family. Everyone is happy in any way they are in life even homeless are happy. They try to be happy coz they think they have no choice? There's always a choice but depends if you will allow this choice to happen. Let me ask everyone this that believes in JOB. I know your happy :) but what's wrong with being HAPPIER? :jiggy:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It is amazing that this post even garnered this much attention. The question is so undefined and open to endless answers but at the same time it is so obvious. Another question may be "why have good personal hygiene", or "why do we care for our families". Silly questions.

The fact is that people have choices to make. Not everyone will be rich. It is not as easy as taking a shower every day. People work hard for many reasons. In most cases it is simply to build a better life.

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
It is amazing that this post even garnered this much attention. The question is so undefined and open to endless answers but at the same time it is so obvious. Another question may be "why have good personal hygiene", or "why do we care for our families". Silly questions.

The fact is that people have choices to make. Not everyone will be rich. It is not as easy as taking a shower every day. People work hard for many reasons. In most cases it is simply to build a better life.
lol... those questions! It's really understanding the difference from working for someone in exchange for money (happy) to working in exchange for money to your freedom (happier) at sametime. Why work in exchange for money all your life, if you can work to own the change someday and be free? At age 70 or 80? both will be happy eventually but one from JOB will start enjoying late while other (fastlane) started happy, enjoyed it already, just making plans now for other things long long ago and is more happier. You what i mean chillie bean? :driving:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Why be rich? The obvious answer would be: To have more choices in life. I have had one job working for someone else in my entire life. That job lasted 1 week and it was as a damn telemarketer. I don't see why working for someone else is that good. I really don't get the charming part about it. The thing that is charming is bringing your yacht out on the Carribean Sea and relax on the deck in your white sofa and just sipping some champagne in the sun. A beautiful lady as a companion and just live a stress free life.

I like building companies and then sell them. That is what I like doing. What I have passion for, what I do to create my money. Money is one part of it, but if I don't find it interesting to create a particular company I won't do it. No matter what kind of money.

Oh, and if you want my creative services (just to show you how detached I am from making money actively for someone else) you will need to fork up at least $41,000. Starter fee.

memenode

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 22, 2008
Europe
I summed up my answer to "capacity". When you have a lot of money you are capable of doing whatever you want. It can also be termed "personal power" or "freedom", but I like the word "capacity".

With less money you may be able to stand.. With a bit more money you might be able to walk. Even more and you can run. With lot's more you can fly. With gazillions you could fly your a$$ into space! :p

But I guess, happiness too qualifies as an end all purpose of it all.

I think it is in human nature to just grow and keep growing infinitely (or until the death barrier, whatever that is). We're all about exceeding our boundaries and going wherever our self (who we are) takes us.

bane

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 7, 2012
NSW, Australia
Why be rich?

If my goal is to help the world then:

If I have the physical and mental capabilities and most importantly, the opportunity to become “rich” then I should take it.

Many people around the globe have the capabilities but lack the opportunity.

I want to give them opportunities.

OsmanS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Aug 8, 2012
Washington,D.C
For me personally, money is a way to buy freedom. With money I can pay my parents debts/mortgage, give them a better life, and do the same for my siblings so they can follow their dreams. Also, with money I'll be able to do whatever I want pretty much, like working on my passion projects

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
For me personally, money is a way to buy freedom.

Freedom is the answer for me.

Freedom from the cube farm. Freedom from 1 hour commutes. Freedom to help people. Freedom to travel. Freedom to do anything. Freedom to do nothing.

"Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude."

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Holy Thread Raised from the Dead, Batman!

I think about money differently since I joined TMF . I'd always thought "If I were rich, I could do this, this, and this". I'm now starting to think "I can put together money making systems so I can do this, this, and this". Being rich somehow gets lost. It's no longer important, because it isn't the means to an end. It's an abstraction. "Getting Rich" isn't in itself actionable - it's a step removed. Building money making systems is actionable.

The money making systems become the name of the game. "Get rich" just sort of happens to you, the way you "Get tan" if you stay out in the sun or "Get cold" if you stay out in the snow too long.

If I can build a system to sell hot and cold weather products, I can build 50 of them if that's what suits my needs. If I need more, I can build 100. I'm limited only by how much I build.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Holy Thread Raised from the Dead, Batman!

I think about money differently since I joined TMF . I'd always thought "If I were rich, I could do this, this, and this". I'm now starting to think "I can put together money making systems so I can do this, this, and this". Being rich somehow gets lost. It's no longer important, because it isn't the means to an end. It's an abstraction. "Getting Rich" isn't in itself actionable - it's a step removed. Building money making systems is actionable.

The money making systems become the name of the game. "Get rich" just sort of happens to you, the way you "Get tan" if you stay out in the sun or "Get cold" if you stay out in the snow too long.

If I can build a system to sell hot and cold weather products, I can build 50 of them if that's what suits my needs. If I need more, I can build 100. I'm limited only by how much I build.

What a great post.

The change always starts in the mind. Once you break the limits of the mind, you run into the limits of the resources, which aren't that big of a deal, even if you're starting from nothing!

Rich Dad Poor Dad helped me because of one sentence: "To get rich, acquire assets." TMF helped me because of, well, every sentence in the book, but the one that stands out most is "To make millions, impact millions."

An asset provides value. Collect these assets and you will be rich. Simple as that. No matter whether it's a Sidewalk asset (winning lottery ticket), a Slowlane asset (your own skills) or a Fastlane asset (a business system designed to provide value on its own). Obviously, Fastlane wins because you only can have one Slowlane asset.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
It all comes down to one reason for me:

Don't go to bed today until 5.30 AM in the morning. Then drive or walk around the streets and see how many lights are on, cause most people get ready for 'modern paycheck slavery'.

It's all about freedom.

Freedom to live your life by YOUR choices.
Plus realizing one day that you don't have to work, not because of the money, but because you love doing whatever you do so much that you think of it all the time when you (try) to do something different ;-)

.... and keep thinking of it while your lovely wife next to you is sleeping and you can't...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I like the chase, I like freedom, I like not wasting my time at a job.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have never cared about being rich. I just wanted to be free of an employer that could on their whim let me go. I want to decide my own path, I can not have it dictated to me by another person, not ever again. Once you taste freedom, you can't go back in the cage. Wealth only entered the picture once we attained freedom from the employer, then freedom from other forms of chains became important, and building wealth is a means to extract ourselves from those. My best example is being tied down to one geographic location, wealth removes that chain.

Sue

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.