The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who on this site mentors?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This entire forum is a form of mentorship. Stick around and read, search and investigate.

A big congrats to you for seeking answers at such a young age.:)

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Hi, i am just wondering who on this site mentors?

I formerly would do daily 1 hour phone calls with anyone who needed help, but my business got super busy so now I limit phone calls to people who have executed on an idea and are at a roadblock. I'm certainly still in the growth stage as well, but it helps to chat with like-minded individuals. We usually end up getting super creative to craft unique angles to accomplish our goals.

There are 2 ways to get a mentor:
The Push Method: You outright just ask. This isn't the most effective way imo because mentors want to know if you're really going to execute on their advice. If you don't, they end up feeling ripped off. Who is zen*******?

The Pull Method: Take action daily and establish a reputation as someone who can actually start things and gain some momentum. This turns you into a magnet for opportunities, mentors, and ice cream.

16 years old is quite young, my friend. I thought I had life all figured out by that point, but experience has a way of humbling us.

At 16 I was one of the first in my class to get my driver's license. Like clockwork, I would leave the school campus and buy a bunch of $5 Little Caesars large pizzas then bring them back to school and sell them at $2 a slice. It was my first somewhat successful business(averaged $100 a day profit for 20 minutes of work) until the school shut me down and took all the money because I didn't have any licenses. Jerks.

In college I did a similar thing except I started selling carne asada tacos to all the drunks after they were done clubbing. There was a lot more money selling to drunk people, but it was difficult maintaining an orderly line because everyone was wasted and rowdy. Then I read MJ's book and realized holy shnykies I need to scale and divorce time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It was a lazy move, but i felt i wanted to just ask.

I have many mentors from this forum. From the young guns to the old crusty farts. Men and women. Most of them don't even know they've mentored me in some way. They mentored me with the quality of their posts and threads and by answering questions I've posted. A few of them mentor me offline. I even mentor some. None of this happened because I posted a thread asking for a mentor or offering to mentor others.

Do a search for the word 'mentor' and check off the box that says 'search titles only'. Lots of valuable information to be found including how to go about finding and approaching someone to mentor you.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
I have many mentors from this forum. From the young guns to the old crusty farts. Men and women. Most of them don't even know they've mentored me in some way. They mentored me with the quality of their posts and threads and by answering questions I've posted. A few of them mentor me offline. I even mentor some. None of this happened because I posted a thread asking for a mentor or offering to mentor others.

Do a search for the word 'mentor' and check off the box that says 'search titles only'. Lots of valuable information to be found including how to go about finding and approaching someone to mentor you.

I understand what you mean and I have learned so much with just a month on this website. So I could say I've been mentored just by reading other questions people have asked. I will not be posting another thread asking for a mentor again. Thank you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You could have sent a few PMs around, offered something valuable to the potential mentor in return for some mentoring. At least that would be what I'd do...

Valuable things like money, time, work, or expertise.

I just dropped a kid who went to U of H I was helping. He wanted to start a business similar to a friend of mines. It was a conflict of interest to me and told him that. He told me he still wanted to peruse it so he can F*ck off.

Last edited:

Jacquesvh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 4, 2013
South Africa, Canada, Thailand, Malaysia
16 years old is quite young, my friend.

I agree with you that it's young. However, the fact that this kid wants a mentor says a lot about where he wants to go.

Yes, a lot of 16 year old kids think they know it all. There are a few of them out there though that have humble spirits and want to learn....they will possibly do whatever is required of them.

I believe that the next generation need a chance to show what they can do. Therefore I salute @RadioActive for putting it out there. I would say that it wasn't approached correctly and that the question has to much of a broad answer, but it seems that he wants to learn.

----

I know that I can thank my Mentors for guiding me when I was younger and honestly without them I wouldn't be where I am today. I'm only 23 now, but took on my first client at the age of 13 and had 5 guys working for me by the age of 16. 10 years have gone by already and I'm further down the line than most people will ever be (I'm saying this humbly.) I believe that it's because I started young and went against what others said to and about me.

There is never a right time to start and you can't ever be to young to start either. Go for it man!

Cheers!
Jacquesvh

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
Were you selling weed or something? Sounds like you had foot soldiers.

I agree with you that it's young. However, the fact that this kid wants a mentor says a lot about where he wants to go.

Yes, a lot of 16 year old kids think they know it all. There are a few of them out there though that have humble spirits and want to learn....they will possibly do whatever is required of them.

I believe that the next generation need a chance to show what they can do. Therefore I salute @RadioActive for putting it out there. I would say that it wasn't approached correctly and that the question has to much of a broad answer, but it seems that he wants to learn.

----

I know that I can thank my Mentors for guiding me when I was younger and honestly without them I wouldn't be where I am today. I'm only 23 now, but took on my first client at the age of 13 and had 5 guys working for me by the age of 16. 10 years have gone by already and I'm further down the line than most people will ever be (I'm saying this humbly.) I believe that it's because I started young and went against what others said to and about me.

There is never a right time to start and you can't ever be to young to start either. Go for it man!

Cheers!
Jacquesvh

Jacquesvh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 4, 2013
South Africa, Canada, Thailand, Malaysia
Were you selling weed or something? Sounds like you had foot soldiers.

Haha, no I wasn't. Started as a freelance web designer and built up a design agency with offices in my hometown whilst still in high school.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Also if they would mentor a 16 y/o still in high school.

You made this post at 16. You're now 22 which means you've been on this forum for nearly half your life. So what's going on in your world? Job? Business? University? Just curious.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Im jealous, if I knew about this place at 16 I'd be a billionaire right now

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hopefully he has a 7 figure business by now! :cool:

Inventor001

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Mar 6, 2020

----

Cheers!
Jacquesvh
i am 15 and i dont have a bussiness yet but i am learning python

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
You made this post at 16. You're now 22 which means you've been on this forum for nearly half your life. So what's going on in your world? Job? Business? University? Just curious.
Currently working a job in Construction, And have been freelancing on the side. I started an amazon FBA business but failed after a few months. I’ve been sitting back and scrolling the forum a lot. But I’m super eager to get something started again!

FMJJ

Scaling eCom Brands
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,821%
Dec 26, 2017
Miami Beach, FL
Currently working a job in Construction, And have been freelancing on the side. I started an amazon FBA business but failed after a few months. I’ve been sitting back and scrolling the forum a lot. But I’m super eager to get something started again!

This is pretty cool how you're still on the forum after all these years! I find this interesting that this thread goes so far back.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like your job in construction? Are you freelancing in something that is scaleable into a "Fastlane-type" business if you will? How come you decided to pursue Amazon FBA? What are you thinking of pursing next? Have you read Unscripted ?

I hope you don't mind these questions, I just want to find out a little more about your journey!

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
This is pretty cool how you're still on the forum after all these years! I find this interesting that this thread goes so far back.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like your job in construction? Are you freelancing in something that is scaleable into a "Fastlane-type" business if you will? How come you decided to pursue Amazon FBA? What are you thinking of pursing next? Have you Unscripted ?

I hope you don't mind these questions, I just want to find out a little more about your journey!

Don't mind you asking at all, my job in construction was framing, flooring, and tiling. I love the work and its very financially rewarding, but hard on your body in my opinion. When it comes to freelancing i followed Lex's Udemy courses and have made a little bit of money copriting but have just lost the motivation for it.

I pursued Amazon FBA when i was 18. I started to go around to different thrift shops, yard sales, and even finding deals on facebook marketplace for items like boardgames, high priced books, and lego's for some reason sold extremely fast and for a lot. I honestly had to stop doing this because I got into an accident and was out a car for a few months and burned through the money i made.. i've been considering dabbling back into FBA, More importing and private labeling this time if so.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Don't mind you asking at all, my job in construction was framing, flooring, and tiling. I love the work and its very financially rewarding, but hard on your body in my opinion. When it comes to freelancing i followed Lex's Udemy courses and have made a little bit of money copriting but have just lost the motivation for it.

I pursued Amazon FBA when i was 18. I started to go around to different thrift shops, yard sales, and even finding deals on facebook marketplace for items like boardgames, high priced books, and lego's for some reason sold extremely fast and for a lot. I honestly had to stop doing this because I got into an accident and was out a car for a few months and burned through the money i made.. i've been considering dabbling back into FBA, More importing and private labeling this time if so.

Maybe start your own handyman company or construction company? Start a tile company and then just actually show up when you say they will and you will have no problem getting customers!

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Start a tile company and then just actually show up when you say they will and you will have no problem getting customers!
That's actually a huge issue.. a lot of companies around will take the first check and never show up. But after working in the industry for a few years ive noticed that when you actually do the work right and the homeowners like you they will continue to give you work. Theyre always wanting something else done.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
That's actually a huge issue.. a lot of companies around will take the first check and never show up. But after working in the industry for a few years ive noticed that when you actually do the work right and the homeowners like you they will continue to give you work. Theyre always wanting something else done.

And you will get referrals forever. And you can change higher than normal.
You won’t ever have to be the lowest bid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.