The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who here has quit social media?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Im only on facebook to keep in touch with a few people over messenger.
I have a business page on twitter,facebook,instagram but i've pretty much abandoned them.

I'm only on youtube actively, its basically the new TV, and im cool with that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
That's funny, I just came across his videos last night and found the dopamine one's pretty good.

I've changed my tune a lot about social media in the last month. Trying to get further and further away for some period, maybe 6 months.

Turned my phone into more of a dumbphone, no social media or messenger apps. No apps unless they are beneficial actually.

Actually did deactivate my facebook, but kept messenger. After one day though, I'm also going to get rid of messenger. I created a new fb account so I can be in about 3 groups that I'm interested in currently, and about 5 people overseas for messaging.

How do you feel so far?

I am using an Emporia Flip Phone meanwhile and am pretty satisfied.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I found a Facebook group of people volunteering to help elderly and at risk people in my mum’s village. It’s been a godsend and great to chatter with people back home.

There’s other groups of business owners that have resulted in me chatting with folks, swapping notes, and even just now picking up a new client who’s super keen to get started.

Most of the time I don’t have Facebook or YouTube on my phone. I can install it when I want to upload videos or see how things look for consumers.

I don’t really see people being that stupid on either platform ... maybe I’m using them differently?

I agree there’s cons but they’re outweighted by the pros for me.

mve0991

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 5, 2020
The Netherlands
I tried to take the first step by limiting my news feed to posts from Facebook Pages and groups only but not succeeded to do this without removing all my 'friends' or by manually excluding each person. Does anyone know if this is possible?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
How I imagine career social media users:

There’s something about Gary Vees content that just irks me. I don’t accept that you can’t grow a business without posting 100 (he literally says 100) pieces of unique content per day.

Easy to do when you’re a client of your own Top 3, 750 employee marketing agency.

If you’re an internet entrepreneur, yes... not a Productocracy...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I tried to take the first step by limiting my news feed to posts from Facebook Pages and groups only but not succeeded to do this without removing all my 'friends' or by manually excluding each person. Does anyone know if this is possible?
I’ve had the “Newsfeed Eradicator” Chrome extension on my desktop for a couple of years. It means I only see stuff I go looking for. Not quite the same but it’s a good start.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How I imagine career social media users:

View attachment 32195

There’s something about Gary Vees content that just irks me. I don’t accept that you can’t grow a business without posting 100 (he literally says 100) pieces of unique content per day.

Easy to do when you’re a client of your own Top 3, 750 employee marketing agency.

If you’re an internet entrepreneur, yes... not a Productocracy...
You 100% don’t need to post daily content, or even post content. That kind of advice just makes me face-palm.

D

DeletedUser0287

Need to be on social media for business, it is vital to know the sentiment and what is going on in the world for marketing purposes and messaging.

I use social media as a tool personally for product design inspo. Helps a lot. Social media shows you more of what you look at.

If most people are talking about all the other BS on social, FB/Insta doesn’t even show me that anymore. Only things related to my interests.

Will never quit social media.

A

Anon79341

I have quitted FB more than a year ago, I only used a "nameless" account to visit local news, but I got bored since I realized that news aren't so helpful as well. I completely left IG since is a highly time consuming activity that doesn't provide any real value (not if you don't run a business there) and it mostly make us compare to others's probably fictitious lives.

Leaving some of the more common social media platforms brought me a lot more focus and time to spend in things more valuable. I'd suggest everyone give it a try, you got to do it at least for 2-3 weeks in order to get rid of the initial anxiety.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
I only use Snapchat and very rarely Facebook.. I find the more time I spend on these apps the more depressed I get with my own life. Quarantine has made my social contact reduce 90% and the past few months have been rough because of that. I would suggest at most for personal use only having (1) social media, preferably one that allows you to stay in contact with old friends/family and re-connect with people in person.

mcm1986

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 24, 2020
Chicago
I have been tracking myself a lot this year I can spot a clear trend... the more time I spend during the day on social media = the worse I feel.

I get lazy, distracted, and sometimes slightly depressed. And I am very much a positive, focused person.

I shouldn't be surprised cause I know a lot of you have been talking about the dangers of social media for years.

At this stage, I am thinking about quitting Instagram and Facebook forever.
I can make a new Fb account just to run my students group and shut down everything else.

Do those people with some long term experience (quit social media for over one year etc) want to chime in?

What has been your experience?
Beyond using social for business, I have stopped using social all together. It really has little value anymore. I pushed all of my friends and family to simply call, text, or email me if they need to reach me.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
FB - for news and latest happenings so that I've something to talk about with people offline, to stay current, and also to feel and know the general direction the world is heading

IG - for my hustle to eventually drive traffic over to website + network + build social proof

Pinterest - for inspiration and ideas

TikTok - this one is a must if you want to stay up to date with the latest trends among Gen Z and Gen Alpha. You don't want to be that out of touch dinosaur whom the next generation laughs at. If you've kids and want to relate with them better instead of being some lost-touch-with-all-reality mom or dad, TiKTok is great. The next and upcoming generations are going to be smarter and more capable than us, so it's best to know what's coming to stay competitive as long as possible.

Twitter - same as FB except the threaded UI sucks hard

LinkedIn - dead to me

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I only use FB because I need the account to run FB/IG ads.

I'm not on IG, Pinterest, Snapchat or TikTok. I don't need a daily reminder of what you had for lunch.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I don't need a daily reminder of what you had for lunch.

Yeah you do. Yesterday I had a roast chicken in a sweet tomato and chorizzo sauce, and yes, it was indeed yummy. :rofl::rofl:

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
Here's how I've dealt with keeping a Facebook account that will only ever be used for business:
News Feed Eradicator Chrome Extension - This basically stops you from seeing your news feed, and replaces it with a motivational quote instead.

Removed Facebook app from the home screen on my phone - I have a LOT of apps installed on my phone, and just the minor inconvenience of having to manually go to the menu to open it really made me not bother anywhere near as much. It's amazing how much effort swipe, swipe, scroll, click is, compared to simply 'click'.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Here's how I've dealt with keeping a Facebook account that will only ever be used for business:
News Feed Eradicator Chrome Extension - This basically stops you from seeing your news feed, and replaces it with a motivational quote instead.

Removed Facebook app from the home screen on my phone - I have a LOT of apps installed on my phone, and just the minor inconvenience of having to manually go to the menu to open it really made me not bother anywhere near as much. It's amazing how much effort swipe, swipe, scroll, click is, compared to simply 'click'.

It's a great app for increased productivity.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
All things considered Facebook has less drama lately than some other places I frequent. :)

I had so many business login apps connected to my Facebook account that I reactivated it because it was screwing up a lot of validated access as I had tother sites. I will have to go in and redo all of those but in the meantime it was just easier for me to reactivate my Facebook account but I’m still not using it much. Just using it for several business Facebook pages I have.

i’ve done a much better job lately though of fine-tuning my targeted Facebook advertising. In about 20 minutes @AllenCrawley Was able to correct a major error I was making with my Facebook advertising that changed it from non-profitable to profitable almost overnight.

I am going to set up an account at the new social media site Parler Which apparently is growing pretty quickly. I should have a profile set up on there this week.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I quit facebook for for YEARS... Went back to it recently. I feel a tiny bit more informed about what's going on now. I could take it or leave it.

I am NOT some avid user.
…and I quit again probably 8 months ago. Meh. Facebook, and really all personal social medias don’t mesh with me. I just don’t care. People will send me shit and get offended that I don’t respond for 2 months. Not because I didn’t want to, but because I don’t check Facebook like I do email.

Every message I ever receive, for that matter, I check that stuff on MY OWN SCHEDULE, not someone else’s. I have turned off alerts for text messages, and email.

No one is entitled to make me quit what I am doing and type something for them. When people get mad that they texted me 3 hours ago, I tell them that they should have called if it mattered so much.

I do have Twitter and Parler for the radio show though.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I hardly use Facebook or Instagram these days.
Once in a while, I swoop in on competitors' FB Ads Library to read ad copy, but other than that...nothing much.

These days I stick to email and Telegram groups. I still have WhatsApp, but I only use it for personal stuffs.

Telegram is exceptionally useful, as you can use it to store photos and videos more easily than WhatsApp (I have to keep clearing WhatsApp from eating more phone memory space). And some channels (eg stock investing news or ideas) can disable commenting and only provide a regular flow of news/articles...which cuts out much of the noise.

I also keep a presence on some subreddits, but only for some hobbies, games and skills.
But I don't participate in comment-wars or haunt every new thread to farm karma lol.
Most of the general public won't be in such niche subreddits to spread toxicity, and their admins are usually active.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I use FB to keep in touch with a few friends and for an excellent hobby group I'm a part of.

If it weren't for that hobby group I would probably quit it.

SarahK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 21, 2021
I cannot say I've quit social media because with the lockdown, it's the only way I can stay connected with friends. However, I make it a point to only log in during weekends and that too, only to converse with people without browsing feeds and watching stories. I've been SO much happier and healthier mentally! Social media isn't for everyone.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I cannot say I've quit social media because with the lockdown, it's the only way I can stay connected with friends. However, I make it a point to only log in during weekends and that too, only to converse with people without browsing feeds and watching stories. I've been SO much happier and healthier mentally! Social media isn't for everyone.
I have pretty much limited my views of social media. It seems to be getting more chaotic and filled with confusion so even though I can weed through it, I just choose not too, because it can be exhausting doing the research and backing up what people "Claim" is valid information.

I believe last year, I was listening to some financial individuals on YT, and was just watching them drag along their followers and it seemed like crap to me.

I would say it is healthier right now just to limit viewing or being blatant about what your focused on.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
I use Facebook messenger during the day to stay in contact with friends.

I've pretty much ditched Snapchat / Instagram, as going through other people's highlight reel while you're at home working on your biz does nothing productive for your mental health or drive.

I use YouTube daily for relevant content, and I'm careful about not going deep into the rabbit hole by restricting the number of videos I watch to 1-2 per session.

I still use Facebook, Twitter and YouTube for business branding and content, but apart from that, I've found that social media takes more away from my life than it gives. Things like my optimism, drive and work ethic decrease whenever I use them for too long.

jaypi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 8, 2016
Nj
The only social media platform i’m active on is youtube. it’s pretty much my source of procrastination (unless i’m learning something there).

What’s sad is that i recently reactivated my instagram (for some survey :/) and i didn’t miss a thing. Every post is the pretty much selfies, family/friends, and gym stuff.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I didn’t read this thread.
does this forum count as media? Is it social? Is so; I didn’t quit.
As for the rest of you, don’t be a quitter.

bwl772

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 27, 2021
I have been tracking myself a lot this year I can spot a clear trend... the more time I spend during the day on social media = the worse I feel.

I get lazy, distracted, and sometimes slightly depressed. And I am very much a positive, focused person.

I shouldn't be surprised cause I know a lot of you have been talking about the dangers of social media for years.

At this stage, I am thinking about quitting Instagram and Facebook forever.
I can make a new Fb account just to run my students group and shut down everything else.

Do those people with some long term experience (quit social media for over one year etc) want to chime in?

What has been your experience?
Done with all of it.

Couldnt be happier.

Looking back, it's disturbing how much time it all stole from me and affected my mood. It's embarrassing, really.

I read stoicism now, it's much healthier and practical in the current environment.

I truly believe social media creates and/or exacerbates mental health issues.

It will be the cigarettes of our time.

Edit:

I still use YouTube. It has a very practical application, though. I watch YouTube to learn how to do things all the time.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I recently had to take a part time job that involves going through all social media posts, comments, mentions etc for a major European company.

I never had twitter, but it absolutely dwarfs Facebook for it's negativity. I would say negative/weird interactions is probably about 20x

The weirdest thing I've noticed is how many people seem to be talking to themselves on Twitter. They post a hundred things with no likes, retweets, replies. I see hundreds like this per day and am surprised to see even one with a reply.

The Ukraine Russia conflict has also bedn been interesting to follow reactions. No matter what the company does, EVERYONE is pissed. Even if what they were demanding ie pull out of Russia, was done, the majority still want a boycott. Cancel culture is going nowhere...

Anyway, I deleted rather than deactivated my social media a few years ago and I definitely recommend everyone do it to detox from that shit.

I made a new fb and IG about 9 months back with a landscape picture and fake name but only use it for necessary things like marketplace or one or 2 groups. It hasn't yet turned into a problem. Zucks will still know it's you though of course no matter what email or device you use lol.

The shit is F*cking evil. But the positive thing I've experienced from this job is that I don't get the slightest bit wound up about anything I see on social media now. I can see they're all completely bonkers. May as well go and argue with the wasted homeless guy at the bus shelter yelling about Jesus.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.