The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC Who here has quit social media?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Im only on facebook to keep in touch with a few people over messenger.
I have a business page on twitter,facebook,instagram but i've pretty much abandoned them.

I'm only on youtube actively, its basically the new TV, and im cool with that.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
That's funny, I just came across his videos last night and found the dopamine one's pretty good.

I've changed my tune a lot about social media in the last month. Trying to get further and further away for some period, maybe 6 months.

Turned my phone into more of a dumbphone, no social media or messenger apps. No apps unless they are beneficial actually.

Actually did deactivate my facebook, but kept messenger. After one day though, I'm also going to get rid of messenger. I created a new fb account so I can be in about 3 groups that I'm interested in currently, and about 5 people overseas for messaging.
How do you feel so far?

I am using an Emporia Flip Phone meanwhile and am pretty satisfied.

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I found a Facebook group of people volunteering to help elderly and at risk people in my mum’s village. It’s been a godsend and great to chatter with people back home.

There’s other groups of business owners that have resulted in me chatting with folks, swapping notes, and even just now picking up a new client who’s super keen to get started.

Most of the time I don’t have Facebook or YouTube on my phone. I can install it when I want to upload videos or see how things look for consumers.

I don’t really see people being that stupid on either platform ... maybe I’m using them differently?

I agree there’s cons but they’re outweighted by the pros for me.

mve0991

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 5, 2020
The Netherlands
I tried to take the first step by limiting my news feed to posts from Facebook Pages and groups only but not succeeded to do this without removing all my 'friends' or by manually excluding each person. Does anyone know if this is possible?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
How I imagine career social media users:

There’s something about Gary Vees content that just irks me. I don’t accept that you can’t grow a business without posting 100 (he literally says 100) pieces of unique content per day.

Easy to do when you’re a client of your own Top 3, 750 employee marketing agency.

If you’re an internet entrepreneur, yes... not a Productocracy...

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I tried to take the first step by limiting my news feed to posts from Facebook Pages and groups only but not succeeded to do this without removing all my 'friends' or by manually excluding each person. Does anyone know if this is possible?
I’ve had the “Newsfeed Eradicator” Chrome extension on my desktop for a couple of years. It means I only see stuff I go looking for. Not quite the same but it’s a good start.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How I imagine career social media users:

View attachment 32195

There’s something about Gary Vees content that just irks me. I don’t accept that you can’t grow a business without posting 100 (he literally says 100) pieces of unique content per day.

Easy to do when you’re a client of your own Top 3, 750 employee marketing agency.

If you’re an internet entrepreneur, yes... not a Productocracy...
You 100% don’t need to post daily content, or even post content. That kind of advice just makes me face-palm.

D

DeletedUser0287

Need to be on social media for business, it is vital to know the sentiment and what is going on in the world for marketing purposes and messaging.

I use social media as a tool personally for product design inspo. Helps a lot. Social media shows you more of what you look at.

If most people are talking about all the other BS on social, FB/Insta doesn’t even show me that anymore. Only things related to my interests.

Will never quit social media.

seb451

Contributor
Apr 9, 2020
Chile
I have quitted FB more than a year ago, I only used a "nameless" account to visit local news, but I got bored since I realized that news aren't so helpful as well. I completely left IG since is a highly time consuming activity that doesn't provide any real value (not if you don't run a business there) and it mostly make us compare to others's probably fictitious lives.

Leaving some of the more common social media platforms brought me a lot more focus and time to spend in things more valuable. I'd suggest everyone give it a try, you got to do it at least for 2-3 weeks in order to get rid of the initial anxiety.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

fridge

New Contributor
Jun 4, 2020
USA
I only use Snapchat and very rarely Facebook.. I find the more time I spend on these apps the more depressed I get with my own life. Quarantine has made my social contact reduce 90% and the past few months have been rough because of that. I would suggest at most for personal use only having (1) social media, preferably one that allows you to stay in contact with old friends/family and re-connect with people in person.

mcm1986

PARKED
Jun 24, 2020
Chicago
I have been tracking myself a lot this year I can spot a clear trend... the more time I spend during the day on social media = the worse I feel.

I get lazy, distracted, and sometimes slightly depressed. And I am very much a positive, focused person.

I shouldn't be surprised cause I know a lot of you have been talking about the dangers of social media for years.

At this stage, I am thinking about quitting Instagram and Facebook forever.
I can make a new Fb account just to run my students group and shut down everything else.

Do those people with some long term experience (quit social media for over one year etc) want to chime in?

What has been your experience?
Beyond using social for business, I have stopped using social all together. It really has little value anymore. I pushed all of my friends and family to simply call, text, or email me if they need to reach me.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
FB - for news and latest happenings so that I've something to talk about with people offline, to stay current, and also to feel and know the general direction the world is heading

IG - for my hustle to eventually drive traffic over to website + network + build social proof

Pinterest - for inspiration and ideas

TikTok - this one is a must if you want to stay up to date with the latest trends among Gen Z and Gen Alpha. You don't want to be that out of touch dinosaur whom the next generation laughs at. If you've kids and want to relate with them better instead of being some lost-touch-with-all-reality mom or dad, TiKTok is great. The next and upcoming generations are going to be smarter and more capable than us, so it's best to know what's coming to stay competitive as long as possible.

Twitter - same as FB except the threaded UI sucks hard

LinkedIn - dead to me

Roli

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
I don't need a daily reminder of what you had for lunch.
Yeah you do. Yesterday I had a roast chicken in a sweet tomato and chorizzo sauce, and yes, it was indeed yummy. :rofl::rofl:

Defection

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 29, 2019
Here's how I've dealt with keeping a Facebook account that will only ever be used for business:
News Feed Eradicator Chrome Extension - This basically stops you from seeing your news feed, and replaces it with a motivational quote instead.

Removed Facebook app from the home screen on my phone - I have a LOT of apps installed on my phone, and just the minor inconvenience of having to manually go to the menu to open it really made me not bother anywhere near as much. It's amazing how much effort swipe, swipe, scroll, click is, compared to simply 'click'.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Here's how I've dealt with keeping a Facebook account that will only ever be used for business:
News Feed Eradicator Chrome Extension - This basically stops you from seeing your news feed, and replaces it with a motivational quote instead.

Removed Facebook app from the home screen on my phone - I have a LOT of apps installed on my phone, and just the minor inconvenience of having to manually go to the menu to open it really made me not bother anywhere near as much. It's amazing how much effort swipe, swipe, scroll, click is, compared to simply 'click'.
It's a great app for increased productivity.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
All things considered Facebook has less drama lately than some other places I frequent. :)

I had so many business login apps connected to my Facebook account that I reactivated it because it was screwing up a lot of validated access as I had tother sites. I will have to go in and redo all of those but in the meantime it was just easier for me to reactivate my Facebook account but I’m still not using it much. Just using it for several business Facebook pages I have.

i’ve done a much better job lately though of fine-tuning my targeted Facebook advertising. In about 20 minutes @AllenCrawley Was able to correct a major error I was making with my Facebook advertising that changed it from non-profitable to profitable almost overnight.

I am going to set up an account at the new social media site Parler Which apparently is growing pretty quickly. I should have a profile set up on there this week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi guys, I repost here my old review with a small update : Feb 2020 : Hi guys, Just wanted...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock