The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which Online Courses Have Provided the Most Value to You?

TheodoreA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 16, 2017
Guildford, UK
Hey hey,

I'm a big believer in continuous improvement and strive to go to sleep a more intelligent, more fulfilled and a healthier individual than when I woke up. Therefore, in my free time, I'm a big fan of reading books and taking part in online courses rather than watching TV and doing other mindless shit.

I've just recently finished an online course and now on the look out for another one. Which online courses have you guys done that you feel have provided most value to you? I usually stick to Udemy, but I'm aware there are some other really good online learning sites out there too.

The course I just finished was the NLP Practitioner course by Kain Ramsay. I know some of NLP is classed as pseudoscience, but there is a lot of valuable information and techniques in there too that help you better understand people and how to influence their decision making.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheodoreA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 16, 2017
Guildford, UK
don't fall into the trap of becoming an archivist for 10 years jumping from courses to courses

this trap is for megalomaniac ,INTJ guys like me

this is not for you.

Unfortunately, I would describe myself as a megalomaniac INTJ as well.

I only use them in down time, like I might do a bit of a course whilst eating lunch, or an hour before bed. I love learning and need to get my learning fix from somewhere! haha!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hey hey,

I'm a big believer in continuous improvement and strive to go to sleep a more intelligent, more fulfilled and a healthier individual than when I woke up. Therefore, in my free time, I'm a big fan of reading books and taking part in online courses rather than watching TV and doing other mindless sh*t.

I've just recently finished an online course and now on the look out for another one. Which online courses have you guys done that you feel have provided most value to you? I usually stick to Udemy, but I'm aware there are some other really good online learning sites out there too.

The course I just finished was the NLP Practitioner course by Kain Ramsay. I know some of NLP is classed as pseudoscience, but there is a lot of valuable information and techniques in there too that help you better understand people and how to influence their decision making.

What I like to do is decide on one very specific goal I have for myself (Well-formed outcomes), and then embark on a journey of mastering the skills required to achieve that outcome.

For me this year, it is to get a 60% conversion rate on sales calls with 10-20 qualified sales calls per month on a consistent basis by the end of Q2.

After every sales call, I break down exactly what happened, what I learned from it, what pain I felt, what I did wrong, and what I can correct to move forward.

What I learned from this experience is that we learn more from the pain we feel, and noticing the positive results we get when adjust whatever behavior led to that pain...and that's how I grow and move forward.

So I enjoy creating courses based on my experience, and blazing the path forward; because not only do I learn more this way - but when i write a breakdown of what actually happened in the real world, and send it to my mastermind group/clients - it helps move that understanding deeper into my being.

I used to take a lot of courses and felt really good when I took them, but what works best is putting it to use; because that's where the results come from.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I needed to build a web app for a customer. At the time, I didn't know HTML, CSS, or JavaScript all that well. So I took Colt Steele's Web Development Bootcamp on Udemy. It cost $10. For the motivated, it's comparable to a $10,000 coding bootcamp. With the course's kickstart, I was able to build & deliver the app in 6 months. Priceless.

ColbyG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 19, 2017
Newcastle, Australia
I can relate to you on the need for constant learning. I enjoy the courses on Codecademy which provide a brief intro to programming. To actually learn anything though you then have to go away and put the concepts to use in an actual process.
At the moment I'm learning AR and VR development just from random youtube tutorials. Its great fun and could be useful in the future.

Hylle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I've done a few tech related courses for programming, I like to see someone type things out and explain along the way if it's a totally new technology I'm learning.

I can't say any courses have changed my life, a couple of books have.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Unfortunately, I would describe myself as a megalomaniac INTJ as well.

I only use them in down time, like I might do a bit of a course whilst eating lunch, or an hour before bed. I love learning and need to get my learning fix from somewhere! haha!

Hear! Hear! - Shout out to all the Architects

Over the past year I've splurged on dozens of courses. And the subjects boiled down to 2 areas.

1. Goal oriented - direct, A to B type of situation:
- sales
- cold calling
- copywriting
- business structure
- taxes
- employee management

2. Interests - not directly aligned with goals, but complimentary in some cases:
- psychology
- investing
- ecommerce
- public speaking

I already know programming so it's not on the list, but if you haven't already, pick up a few courses in Object Oriented Programming. Java, C++, Swift. Save Python for later, b/c that's the easy stuff. If you learn Java, everything else is a breeze.

Even if you don't plan on actually programming. It rewires your brain for bulletproof logic processing.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I also love learning, and whenever I want I do something new I love to hit Google and YouTube.

I can sit every evening watching a course or listening to a podcast rather than watching TV. I can feel good I'm not wasting downtime. I can feel good my downtime is more productive.

Except there's a few land mines to navigate:

1) I'm being groomed into being a consumer.

Many free and paid courses are designed to make you feel you don't know something, and to make you feel you *need* to know it before you can start.

Their job is to keep us consuming.

2) It's often a lot simpler anyway.

I took Udemy courses on creating talking head videos, editing with Camtasia, and how to set up lighting and sound.

I had an FTM and ditched everything and went with Snapchat walk and talk videos.

I made much better progress producing rather than consuming.

There's a lot to be said for the phrase "Wisdom is earned".

3) To focus we need to eliminate distractions.

People spend a lot of time and money learning to calm and observe their thoughts.

Course, book, and podcast junkies can spend a lot of time and money doing the opposite.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy. I love books and podcasts as much as the next guy.

I just see courses as a potential descent into a rabbit-hole designed so you don't get out.

I see courses as an industry with producers on one side, and consumers on the other side.

TL;DR

The online course that's provided the most value to me is the one I produced and earned money from. ;-)

HTH

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Bought and watched the course a few months back. Not a big fan of his hard selling approach.

Beware, although Udemy is a great tool, it leads to action faking and jumping from idea to idea faster than you want. I've bought more Udemy courses than I actually can watch (those promotions and discounts being the main reason...). Don't be like me!

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Bought and watched the course a few months back. Not a big fan of his hard selling approach.

Beware, although Udemy is a great tool, it leads to action faking and jumping from idea to idea faster than you want. I've bought more Udemy courses than I actually can watch (those promotions and discounts being the main reason...). Don't be like me!
Yeah you're totally right... learning is great but only if you're going to directly use it, directly implement what you learned. Otherwise its simply a waste of time.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
don't fall into the trap of becoming an archivist for 10 years jumping from courses to courses

There are so many courses out there for you to find. I would suggest being focused on courses that pertain to your specific entrepreneur goals. Can it be applied to your business. Otherwise it's a waste of time and energy.

this depends on what you mean by courses? There are University/College level courses or websites like future learn.

I've been to several different ones, but this is more about your learning style. The courses I've taken may not have anything to do with your interests.

You can find a list of them in google. Just put the right key words.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Udemy instructor by the name of Scott Britton's stuff is all great... Very detailed and actionable stuff having to do with biz development.

I've been using 3 in particular to help me with prospecting through emails:

Small Business Lead Generation | Udemy (specifically for cold emailing small businesses)
How To Build An Outsourced Lead Generation Machine (creating a outsource-able and scaling cold email strategy)
Crack Cold Emailing to Increase Sales and Grow Your Business (overall cold emails guide)

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
My business takes the form of an app, so I bought the Udemy course "iOS 11 & Swift 4 - The Complete iOS App Development Bootcamp" for around $20. Zipped through it in a week and that was all I needed to start. Would highly recommend if anyone wants to learn how to make iOS apps.

My company just bought us all a Udemy membership so we get the courses for free, my mouth is watering looking at all those courses. I think the next one I take has to do with marketing my app.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
Udemy instructor by the name of Scott Britton's stuff is all great... Very detailed and actionable stuff having to do with biz development.

I've been using 3 in particular to help me with prospecting through emails:

Small Business Lead Generation | Udemy (specifically for cold emailing small businesses)
How To Build An Outsourced Lead Generation Machine (creating a outsource-able and scaling cold email strategy)
Crack Cold Emailing to Increase Sales and Grow Your Business (overall cold emails guide)

@Bdenner64 Thanks for the recommendation. I've been working on sending cold emails but struggling to send enough.

@TheodoreA I find the courses that have provided me the most value, were courses that solved a problem I was facing. For example, when I first sold SEO services to a client. Problem was.... I didn't really know how to do SEO. A udemy SEO course solved that and paid me back many times over.

Also my grammar and punctuation was pretty bad when I started learning copy. A free course on The Knowledgebank solved that.

Just take action first. You'll figure out which course you need to get.

SeabassG33

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 15, 2018
Lehi
If anyone needs to get up to speed on accounting, I highly recommend Coursera course taught by
Brian J Bushee, The Geoffrey T. Boisi Professor at Wharton. The guy really knows his stuff. They say that you don't know a subject well until you can explain it to a layman. This guys really knows his accounting!

Introduction to Financial Accounting | Coursera

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
you don't know a subject well until you can explain it to a layman.
Very true.

Once upon a time our karate sensei took me and another keen student aside.

"Want to know the secret to learning faster?" he asked.

He leant forward and whispered:

"Teach."

SeabassG33

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jan 15, 2018
Lehi
Very true.

Once upon a time our karate sensei took me and another keen student aside.

"Want to know the secret to learning faster?" he asked.

He leant forward and whispered:

"Teach."
My grandpa gave me great advice when I was in college. He told me to find one person that knew more than me and one person that I could help tutor in the same subject.

G

Guest6814

I recommend Nick Stephenson’s course, Your First 10,000 Readers. It is a great approach to becoming a successful self-published author. Although I can’t say that I’ve yet completed or fully implemented the course material, the course provides helpful ways to build one’s audience.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
most courses on motivation are just shows to make people danse on stage

i am thinking about Tony Robbins programs

the best program i have found is Jim Rohn's the day that turns your life arround

you will learn about rage

because life is a bi** she doesn't care about morality or good people

life only says : " fight, you decide what is good or bad. i don't care "

you will have to help yourself with powerful emotions

when i talk about that program here, people say:

" yes yes whatever . i don't care. leave me lone. hit the road "

and i am sure nobody will care about that post either

Jim Rohn was an INTJ

that's why, guys like me can understand his philosophy and the duty that it implies

if you don't know why you are on earth

yes you the reader

then you will be destroyed by people who do know why they are on earth at the society level

in the years ahead

day.jpg

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I have bought a FEW. Unfortunately, most of the free or cheap courses are just masturbation for the brain. We watch them and go on with our lives doing jack sh** with the material that was passed, or the lack of.

Talking about cheap and free, I can actually recommend one free that is very good. It's on Storytelling and was done by Pixar. It is good for people who want to learn about storytelling and that are not yet very knowledgeable on the topic.

Now talking about life-changing ones:

Zero To Launch from Ramit Sethi; It tells you from A to Z how to launch a business (even when you have no idea) and give you ALL the guidelines you need to follow to make money on it. I used the principles there to not only make money online but offline as well.

Elite Mentorship Program from Peter Sage - this one is like one of those 7-10 day events of Tony Robbins, but done through a 6 month period, with weekly calls with your accountability buddy and with bi-monthly calls with Peter himself, where he answers questions from the 12 modules of the course.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
@Bdenner64 Thanks for the recommendation. I've been working on sending cold emails but struggling to send enough.

@TheodoreA I find the courses that have provided me the most value, were courses that solved a problem I was facing. For example, when I first sold SEO services to a client. Problem was.... I didn't really know how to do SEO. A udemy SEO course solved that and paid me back many times over.

Also my grammar and punctuation was pretty bad when I started learning copy. A free course on The Knowledgebank solved that.

Just take action first. You'll figure out which course you need to get.

Hey, which Udemy course did you use for SEO? Thanks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My grandpa gave me great advice when I was in college. He told me to find one person that knew more than me and one person that I could help tutor in the same subject.
This is genius.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I don't know if this is a typical "course," but I bought Jeff Walker's Product Launch Formula last Spring, and updated it again this Fall. Not cheap, but this guy really does a nice job of laying everything out. Well worth the cost.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Darren Hardy's "Insane productivity" is great -

Bo Bennett's Year to Success is great (and free) -

Maddix Breakthrough Parenting - I've taken this one like 7 times now and I love it. Learn something new every time. Plus I'm friends with the course instructor now. We talk once every couple of months or so.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.