The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where can I find Investors for this project idea?

PCM1984

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Mar 3, 2021
I was seeking film investors but since I'm a new but experienced filmmaker, I suppose that disqualifies me from ever being able to get a feature film funded and made.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

PCM1984

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Mar 3, 2021
Even if they're fantastic, they might make $0 or negative dollars.

Business requires that you make more than you spend. My favorite example of a great movie that was a fiery turd of financial failure is The Thief & The Cobbler:

They spent nearly 30 years making this movie as well as $28 million, and the box office was less than $700,000.

And this guy had a track record! This was Miramax studios!

Investors want proof that this particular movie will make money.
The bottom line is, a good solid story WILL make money, but those good solid stories NEVER get funded and made because investors like the ones on here and everywhere else and others with money, they never give the writers and directors of these good, solid stories a CHANCE. This is why Hollywood keeps making reboots and the masses are complaining about it. The masses want FRESH content and fresh content is out there but no one is giving the fresh content a chance because of the ridiculous, "there's no track record", "no this person is new" bullshit. And the ones WITH track records and who ARE established, are making films that the masses are getting tired of seeing and thus these films don't do well profit wise. FRESH films do, do well, however, like Queen & Slim, Judas & The Black Messiah, and Nomadland, but these films that are by these track record, established people, the masses are tired of that junk. We have a LOT of good filmmakers out there like myself, with really good stories that the masses want to see, stories that would indeed be profitable because THE MASSES WANT TO SEE IT, but no one with MONEY wants to give us a chance because they're going off of dumb industry rules, which is why the masses are TIRED of the same big-wig Hollywood junk that keeps being pushed out.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The bottom line is, a good solid story WILL make money, but those good solid stories NEVER get funded and made because investors like the ones on here and everywhere else and others with money, they never give the writers and directors of these good, solid stories a CHANCE. This is why Hollywood keeps making reboots and the masses are complaining about it. The masses want FRESH content and fresh content is out there but no one is giving the fresh content a chance because of the ridiculous, "there's no track record", "no this person is new" bullshit. And the ones WITH track records and who ARE established, are making films that the masses are getting tired of seeing and thus these films don't do well profit wise. FRESH films do, do well, however, like Queen & Slim, Judas & The Black Messiah, and Nomadland, but these films that are by these track record, established people, the masses are tired of that junk. We have a LOT of good filmmakers out there like myself, with really good stories that the masses want to see, stories that would indeed be profitable because THE MASSES WANT TO SEE IT, but no one with MONEY wants to give us a chance because they're going off of dumb industry rules, which is why the masses are TIRED of the same big-wig Hollywood junk that keeps being pushed out.

Have you read Unscripted?

Because 99% of what you're saying are logical fallacies that are debunked in the books that led to this forum being created ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I don't think people are I have tried this, believe me, I have, I "used" to believe in the law of attraction and I used it to really believe I could get this film funded. I reached out to investors, entrepreneurs, doctors, dentists, Mackenzie Scott, I reached out to owners of car dealerships, I reached out to my own film connections, I reached out to people who were investors, loan agents, it's like no one is responding to me and my project.

This reminds me of the person who calls all the employers and says "nobody wants to give me a job, it sucks!" Really? With that smile and bright attitude, how could they not want to employ you?

Maybe you're here to complain that you can't get it done?

I have tried every way to get ANY GOOD film of mine funded and NOTHING I have tried has worked - NOTHING. NO ONE wants to fund anyone who isn't Ava DuVernay, Tyler Perry, Quentin Tarantino, or some a-list director like that.

Right. Only a-list directors can make movies, forever. It's done, decided!

On the bright side, you have your answer. No more uncertainty about whether you can get your projects done. The word "no" is emanating so strongly from your communications, it's obvious what anyone will say to your pitch.

I'll be ignoring this thread now.

PCM1984

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Mar 3, 2021
This reminds me of the person who calls all the employers and says "nobody wants to give me a job, it sucks!" Really? With that smile and bright attitude, how could they not want to employ you?

Maybe you're here to complain that you can't get it done?

Right. Only a-list directors can make movies, forever. It's done, decided!

On the bright side, you have your answer. No more uncertainty about whether you can get your projects done. The word "no" is emanating so strongly from your communications, it's obvious what anyone will say to your pitch.

I'll be ignoring this thread now.
You'll be ignoring this thread....Imagine if I gave a F*ck? I came here looking for investors to take a chance on investing in my film project and all I've gotten is, "you have no track record," "you have no experience," "your project which you haven't even told us about yet isn't going to make money," and that's what I'm complaining about and then when people tell me, "just work your way up, make shorts first, get a track record," and I tell them, i have done shorts, I have worked my way up and I know people who have a track record and STILL can't get their films made, there's something wrong with that? I didn't come here to complain and bitch, I came here to see if any investors would give me and my project a chance, which I NOW see is not going to happen, so ignore the thread all you want, go piss off.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

*sigh* forget it, never mind....

Narrow mindedness, yea, that's gonna get you far...

Short tempered, yea, that's gonna get you far...

Whining like a petulant child, yea, that's gonna get you far...

Repeatedly mentioning your color, your gender, your preference for baking bread, as if this makes a difference to an investment and changes mathematical realities.

LOL, if anyone needed to desperately read a book to crack open their narrow mind and their biases, its you. In fact, this book has the answer your problem, but I doubt you'll read it, much less implement it because it involves a lot more work than greasing someone to write you a check.

and I tell them, i have done shorts,

Awesome, post them on YouTube and continue doing so until you get a massive following. Your work will speak for itself and the money will flow.

Here's an amateur filmmaker who got his start on the forum.

600,000 subscribers. How many do you have?

How HARD do you think it would be for this guy to get funding for a project with a visible track record and 600,000 ready made viewers ready to consume his creative contribution? I'm betting at this point, he's having to REFUSE money.

Sure, it's not as easy as having someone write you a big check.

so ignore the thread all you want, go piss off.

Using the forum to solicit for investors is against the forum rules ... and YOU have demonstrated exactly why.

Good luck on your project.

Don't worry, I'll delete your account shortly seeing you have no interest in learning anything here but what you can get from us, not to mention the hostility and the attitude.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
So interesting seeing how the new girl manages to ignore and/or piss off people capable of giving funding.

You came to get investors. But 3 times were asked to pitch and nothing came out.

You were also asked about the numbers and you didn't respond like a business person.

You changed the original post from numbers to a petulant diatribe.

And yes, you did present some guy's research as your own. That what the word "I" on your copy and paste means.

This is what "no track record" means. This is short hand for "you don't understand how hard it is to make a successful film and I see no reason to take a chance on you."

You speak in ways that only lead to dead ends. You lash out at people trying to help you. You do not seem to have what it takes to lead a project of the scope you are suggesting. You don't have a clue about how to actually raise the capital. And with your attitude, why should anyone feel comfortable putting you in a room with financers?

The forum wanted to help you. Instead of pitching, you turned to bitching.

Yes, yes, twitter is full of wannabes who agree with you. So what?

Let me ask you this. Who is attached to star in this script of yours? Anybody we know? Is there a bankable name that would make the people with money on this thread feel like this is a real opportunity?

$450k doesn't sound like it allows much room for advertising the film. How much of your budget is alloted to getting the word out? What is the go to market strategy for this?

You don't have good answers for these question, Ms No Track Record.

But you have spunk. I'll give you that.

I mean seriously, you got as far as speaking to industry types who told you the kinds of projects that get funded.

So give them what they want!

Oh, I know, you aren't interested in making a rehash of 50 shades.

But you're capable of writing. So sell them a script. Do that 4 times and you'll have the original $450k you are seeking.

There's a ton of ways to make your dream a reality.

But nobody ever makes it by sitting around arguing about how hard it is to make it.

Get to work.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You'll be ignoring this thread....Imagine if I gave a f*ck?

But you do.

I have worked my way up and I know people who have a track record and STILL can't get their films made, there's something wrong with that?

Maybe it's because they don't know how to pitch and get investors. This is blatantly clear now. You could have learned alot from us here. People who have invested money to others. You could have learned why people invest in others.

It's pretty clear that even if you had the best script in the world, nobody would invest with you. You know why? Because we invest in people, not the actual product.

I get the feeling that it is your attitude that is getting doors shut in your face. Someone that doesn't invest now may invest a year from now. But if you have a childish attitude, you aren't going to be on the minds of anyone when an opportunity comes up later.

I came here looking for investors to take a chance on investing in my film project and all I've gotten is,
"you have no track record,"
"you have no experience,"
"just work your way up, make shorts first, get a track record,"

But you don't have a track record in films.
But you don't have experience in making a film.
You think being a chef in a restaurant for 10 years is the same as being an owner of the restaurant.

and I tell them, i have done shorts,

Oh really, I don't see any talk about them. Where are the links. How were they received?

I didn't come here to complain and bitch, I came here to see if any investors would give me and my project a chance, which I NOW see is not going to happen, so ignore the thread all you want, go piss off.

Yes, you did. You came here to make excuses about your gender, race, experience. Else why did it even come up?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
thechosen1 said:

*sigh* forget it, never mind....

I think she thought this was a bad movie joke aimed directly at her, LOL.

I highly doubt she knew this was referencing a book that could help her.

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
I don't think people are I have tried this, believe me, I have, I "used" to believe in the law of attraction and I used it to really believe I could get this film funded. I reached out to investors, entrepreneurs, doctors, dentists, Mackenzie Scott, I reached out to owners of car dealerships, I reached out to my own film connections, I reached out to people who were investors, loan agents, it's like no one is responding to me and my project.

Short films? I've done em', next?

Films that people want to watch? I tried pitching that, I wrote an incredible low, budget drama film, people said the story was great and it was based on a topic of which EVERYONE can relate to, do you know what I was told? "No, we're looking more for films like Fifty Shades of Grey or The Purge or Transformers, your story is too serious."

I have tried every way to get ANY GOOD film of mine funded and NOTHING I have tried has worked - NOTHING. NO ONE wants to fund anyone who isn't Ava DuVernay, Tyler Perry, Quentin Tarantino, or some a-list director like that. Go on Twitter and check out the tweets from NUMEROUS, female filmmakers, especially those who are of color, like myself, and you will see, they have my same problem. It's almost impossible for us to get funding for ANY project we want to do.

I think you have the wrong mindset my friend. First of all, you have to understand that these people, the people you are contacting, probably get this quite often. Everyone has great ideas, and they tell a friend about it or get rejected once or twice and they give up and convince themselves that it wouldn't work out.

Now, you have tried a couple of times you say and no one is responding. Okay, now is that your fault or their fault? It might be both, but it is ONLY your fault that you don't change your approach an re-approach once it's rejected.

These people have absolutely no obligation at all to even answer you, but if they do, there might be some interest there. You have to make them respond. Show them why they should respond to you. If they don't like it analyze your approach and see if you can find something you can improve or do differently. Then contact them again later.

As I mentioned before, one thing is to approach people and say "Okay so I have this idea will you invest?" and another thing is to already have a working prototype, reputation and a full plan of the project, and then say "Alright, so we are at this point now, we are putting in all the work working 24/7, but we are now at a point that we need investors so that we can take this project to the theaters and make mad cash together".

I have to admit that when random people or people I know tell me "I have this idea and I'm going to commit to it", I don't believe them right off the bat. This is not because I don't believe in people in general, but because these are things I hear all the time from friends and other people, and after a month they give up. Like with hitting the gym, loosing weight etc.

Also, don't make excuses like you did there. I can guarantee you with 99% certainty that you are NOT getting rejected because of being someone of color. Even if so, you are just not approaching enough people.

1614881772261.png

It doesn't work? Try again.
It doesn't work 50 times in a row? Change something and try again.
Failing is the best way of learning.

Figure out what you need to do this and then do it. Keep showing up. I believe in you :)

- Sandy

PCM1984

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Mar 3, 2021
I think you have the wrong mindset my friend. First of all, you have to understand that these people, the people you are contacting, probably get this quite often. Everyone has great ideas, and they tell a friend about it or get rejected once or twice and they give up and convince themselves that it wouldn't work out.

Now, you have tried a couple of times you say and no one is responding. Okay, now is that your fault or their fault? It might be both, but it is ONLY your fault that you don't change your approach an re-approach once it's rejected.

These people have absolutely no obligation at all to even answer you, but if they do, there might be some interest there. You have to make them respond. Show them why they should respond to you. If they don't like it analyze your approach and see if you can find something you can improve or do differently. Then contact them again later.

As I mentioned before, one thing is to approach people and say "Okay so I have this idea will you invest?" and another thing is to already have a working prototype, reputation and a full plan of the project, and then say "Alright, so we are at this point now, we are putting in all the work working 24/7, but we are now at a point that we need investors so that we can take this project to the theaters and make mad cash together".

I have to admit that when random people or people I know tell me "I have this idea and I'm going to commit to it", I don't believe them right off the bat. This is not because I don't believe in people in general, but because these are things I hear all the time from friends and other people, and after a month they give up. Like with hitting the gym, loosing weight etc.

Also, don't make excuses like you did there. I can guarantee you with 99% certainty that you are NOT getting rejected because of being someone of color. Even if so, you are just not approaching enough people.

View attachment 37040

It doesn't work? Try again.
It doesn't work 50 times in a row? Change something and try again.
Failing is the best way of learning.

Figure out what you need to do this and then do it. Keep showing up. I believe in you :)

- Sandy
Now this is advice I appreciate. Thank you. Your advice means a lot to me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I always enjoy reading these threads from the perspective of a young man who grew up in the late 80's and early 90's...
  • As a 23 year old, I get a rare opportunity to stand in front of several multimillionaires and tell them about my idea seeking an investment...
  • After they listen to my pitch, which isn't a pitch, but more of a "give me money" plea, they refuse to give me $$.
  • Instead, they give me some great advice which I don't necessarily like, or don't want to hear.
  • Another suggests a book to read...
  • Instead of considering the advice, I throw a tantrum and then promptly tell them to "piss off".

Gotta love what the internet has done to expectations, instant gratification, and getting exactly what you "swipe" for.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
And you think calling me stupid is going to get me to do so? No, thank you, I don't respond to insults.
If you're looking for investors and someone says to pitch them your stupid movie, you should do it.

Entitled moron.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
If you're looking for investors and someone says to pitch them your stupid movie, you should do it.

Entitled moron.
hey, don't call him a moron.

he didn't have any idea, script. he just wanted to know.

once we will tell him "the SECRET" for getting someone else's money on the line, he will go back to sleep and do what he was doing.

Walka08

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Dec 11, 2014
I was seeking film investors but since I'm a new but experienced filmmaker, I suppose that disqualifies me from ever being able to get a feature film funded and made.
Make a cheap budget film to show investors what you can do, impress them with something for like 10k you fund yourself or beg borrow steal (the expression not literally) etc. Sam Raimi Evil dead made a cheap low budget film and before he got investors to make evil dead, look up the show mr. inbetween on fx the creator and star actor is a cab driver who made a low budget film that eventually got picked up by FX to make the show and now hes making a 3rd season. If you are passionate about this make it happen.

Banana Stand

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
467%
Jan 19, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
As a budding filmmaker myself, I found this post very inspirational in its flaws and advice. Glad to see I've been on the right track. I'll be back to pitch my film when I have my investor plan ready. Thanks everyone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.