The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making solid returns in Real Estate where do I find investors?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

srtricky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 29, 2010
I've been building and selling residential homes for a few years on and off. Now I've done a few reno's on condos and sold to make solid profits. 20-30% return on total investment. With the amount of money I put as a downpayment and borrow the rest I'm netting almost 100%. That being said I can only get so much money from a bank. How do I go about finding investors? I would like to build mult family wood frame construction in Vancouver. The net project capital is approximately 4 million. Profits are in the 1-1.5 Million range within 2 years. Similar situation with homes around west end Vancouver. How would I even go about starting a fund where I can invest people's money into various projects across vancouver?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Try a RE crowdfunding platform, something like fundrise.com , Google for more as there are several.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Boots on the ground. Attend the local rei group meetings. Talk to hard money guys and private lenders. Go to investment firms with documents in hand.

Keep up the good work!

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Greetings ladies & gentlemen! Long time, no chat! :)

Network, network, network! Ask your realtor(s), mortgage brokers, CPA, lawyer, etc. Be prepared to prove your track record - on paper and actual live tours of your past/in progress projects.

May also want to consider partnering with other deal makers in your area. While they may financial contacts in place, you could offer other elements (e.g., a deal you have uncovered, construction management, credit, etc.).

Good luck. Don't be afraid to get creative!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I've been building and selling residential homes for a few years on and off. Now I've done a few reno's on condos and sold to make solid profits. 20-30% return on total investment. With the amount of money I put as a downpayment and borrow the rest I'm netting almost 100%. That being said I can only get so much money from a bank. How do I go about finding investors? I would like to build mult family wood frame construction in Vancouver. The net project capital is approximately 4 million. Profits are in the 1-1.5 Million range within 2 years. Similar situation with homes around west end Vancouver. How would I even go about starting a fund where I can invest people's money into various projects across vancouver?

1) Tell EVERYBODY what you do and that you're looking for money. I wouldn't be that straight forward but I say, "I buy investments properties and pay my private lenders a healthy return." Or "I help professionals invest in Real Estate so they don't have to worry when or if they'll retire with enough money." Then you can expand on the benefits of investing with you. Most importantly, just be yourself and always tell the truth and do the right thing.

2) Write down this question and jot down ideas when they pop into your head: "Where do rich people hang out?" golf clubs, yacht clubs, classic car auctions, high end restaurants, charity fundraisers, political fundraisers, etc. Also look for busy professionals who have money but no time or knowledge i.e. doctors, dentists, surgeons, high level executives, athletes, etc.

srtricky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 29, 2010
Greatly appreciate the input. I will give you guys an idea of what I am working on right now. Unit in Shaunnessey area of Vancouver. I bought it at $780,000. After closing costs, transfer tax, etc. I am at $800k. I will put $85k in reno's and will be selling the place for $1,300,000 with ease. My wife is the designer, I'm a red seal plumber and gas fitter with construction background my whole life. In this deal I put 20% down and put the reno's out of pocket. 240k and net over 100% returns.

Another property I own is valued at 1.8 million. Combined with 3 neigbhour properties we are looking at 7.8 million. The property is capable of building a 92,000 sq ft building which will very easily sell out units at $650k per unit x 80 units. 92k sq ft x 250 sq ft concrete building = 23 million. Land $7.8 million. Total revenue from sale of 80 units approx = $52million. Potential profit = 21.2 million on 30.8 million investment.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

srtricky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 29, 2010
I appreciate the responses. I signed up for fundrise.com and they actually do not taken on any canadian clients at this point. How does one go about starting their own eREIT?

Is starting an eREIT my next step and then marketing to find clientele? I want to have the same structure as fundrise.

srtricky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 29, 2010
Would I have to deal with less legal paperwork if I were to base the company overseas?

srtricky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 29, 2010
Feel free to shoot me an email with some more details about the project, your investing history and specific location. I sit on the Board of Advisors for a competitor to Fundrise, and I can talk to the CEO about the legal hurdles of funding in Canada and whether the company has an appetite for it.

Please check pm

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.