The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

when to stop suppressing other things you want to do?

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
money is good but you don't want to devote your whole life to making it because you live only once and time is the most valuable thing. at some point you want to have a family, get a dog, play musical instruments, video games, go travel and so on. you don't want to be obsessed with your fast lane business forever. when, or at how much net worth or after dedicating how many years or at what age do you think one should shift his/her focus from earning money to throughly enjoying their lives? I mean, even if you're super successful on your business and earning lots of money, should you deliberately stop at some point? if so, when should it be? I think it would mostly depend on your net worth. at how much net worth would it be best to retire? (although I know it depends)

edit: I get the concept of enjoying the business journey it self. but what I wonder is when to stop suppressing other things you want to do, which could be time consuming, at the expense of dedicating to the business. I know it might vastly differ and only I can decide for my life but want to hear your thoughts.

edit: changed title from 'when to start thoroughly enjoying your life?'

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
NOW!

I have historically been very hard on myself about my performance in business. Nothing was ever "good enough."

I have realized that the ride has been pretty epic. Looking back, I wish I would have enjoyed the journey more. So I decided that enjoyment is something I need to prioritize. My entire entrepreneurship premise is a never ending journey, not a destination anyway.

I don't believe in traditional slow lane retirement where you just quit accumulating and live off of savings forever. I believe in continuously growing accumulation albeit with less and less of my direct input.

You are currently living your future biography. When you look back and think "well that was pretty cool" will you want to have enjoyed it?

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
I believe in continuously growing accumulation albeit with less and less of my direct input.

thank you so much for the insight. so it can be like all-in at first then you get a dog after some success, get a family after more success, gradually shifting to enjoying your life as your required direct input decreases as you accumulate success? while enjoying the business journey it self of course.

JaceG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 7, 2021
money is good but you don't want to devote your whole life to making it because you live only once and time is the most valuable thing. at some point you want to have a family, get a dog, play musical instruments, video games, go travel and so on. you don't want to be obsessed with your fast lane business forever. when, or at how much net worth or after dedicating how many years or at what age do you think one should shift his/her focus from earning money to throughly enjoying their lives? I mean, even if you're super successful on your business and earning lots of money, should you deliberately stop at some point? if so, when should it be? I think it would mostly depend on your net worth. at how much net worth would it be best to retire? (although I know it depends)

Now. Enjoyment is relative.

Enjoying life is part of my production schedule.

Motivation is for losers, as it comes with demotivation, so the more motivation we need the more demotivation we experience. Motivation is a horrible addiction.

Pain and Pleasure are all we are wired to process when it comes to the topic of enjoyment and motivation. So I enjoy life based on what I can afford with time/energy/money and as I gain momentum I can enjoy more and more out of life.

Motivated people use anticipation to artificially inflate the pleasure of success. At most it will last a couple years, those are the people that get everything they want, then have an existential crisis. I've been there, done that, and hopefully I won't ever go through it again but that is a black swan I'm diligently preparing for.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
Now. Enjoyment is relative.

Enjoying life is part of my production schedule.

Motivation is for losers, as it comes with demotivation, so the more motivation we need the more demotivation we experience. Motivation is a horrible addiction.

Pain and Pleasure are all we are wired to process when it comes to the topic of enjoyment and motivation. So I enjoy life based on what I can afford with time/energy/money and as I gain momentum I can enjoy more and more out of life.

Motivated people use anticipation to artificially inflate the pleasure of success. At most it will last a couple years, those are the people that get everything they want, then have an existential crisis. I've been there, done that, and hopefully I won't ever go through it again but that is a black swan I'm diligently preparing for.
not really what I was asking about but that's a great aspect. thank you for sharing such an admirable mindset.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI

edit: I get the concept of enjoying the business journey it self. but I what I wonder is when to stop suppressing other things you want to do, which could be time consuming, at the expense of dedicating to the business. I know it might vastly differ and only I can decide for my life but want to hear your thoughts.

edit: changed title from 'when to start thoroughly enjoying your life?'
Best time: Yesterday
Next best time: Right F*cking now.

You should be enjoying the grind. You should be enjoying the hard work, the long hours. The struggle. The pain, the aches, the doubt, the mixed feelings. The triumphs, the wins. All of it. Make room for the things you want to do in your life. Balancing this is the art of life.

Every step down the path of self improvement is a step with God (or whatever your preferred name is for the highest organizing principle in existence.)

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
thank you so much for the insight. so it can be like all-in at first then you get a dog after some success, get a family after more success, gradually shifting to enjoying your life as your required direct input decreases as you accumulate success? while enjoying the business journey it self of course.
I’ve had a dog and wife for a while, and now a son. I thoroughly enjoy them all.

I don’t think these things are mutually exclusive. I have more “free time” than the average job person, even if there really is no such thing as “free” time.

Do both. You are the CEO of your business. You decide what needs to get done in a day. No one actually works 18 hour days as the CEO. Most of those hours where people “crush it” for unsustainable amount of time every day, fueled by red bull and Gary V, are spent on task work. Delegate that stuff as soon as possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.