The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When to say goodbye, send someone home, or decline to see someone?

JusticeForSpoils

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 21, 2023
I'm a freshman in college, so I'm still in the early stages of learning to navigate adult relationships, platonic and romantic. My achilles heel lately, when it comes to my productivity and time management at least, is not being able to leave social settings and/or being unable to say no. I have developed a lot of good friendships, and I find that it is hard for me to say no to someone I enjoy being around, even if I have other things I should be doing (homework, work, gym, etc.) I keep people over too long, or stay out too late, because I get caught up in having fun and I don't know when I should call it quits. I also started dating a girl who lives in my apartment complex. We're getting past the honeymoon phase of "I want to see you every second of every day", but I still find myself hanging out with her almost every night. We like spending time together, and it's just really easy and convenient due to the living situation. I know I should kick her out earlier, but I lose track of time, and all of the sudden it's like midnight.

I just feel like I have a hard time deciding when end a social event, or when to decline altogether.

While the social connection is fantastic, and has made me much happier, I think it's time I start teaching myself how to balance it out with the rest of my life. It is starting to, slowly but surely, eat away at important areas of my life. What would your guys' advice be to start balancing everything out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Emperor7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 15, 2023
I'm a freshman in college, so I'm still in the early stages of learning to navigate adult relationships, platonic and romantic. My achilles heel lately, when it comes to my productivity and time management at least, is not being able to leave social settings and/or being unable to say no. I have developed a lot of good friendships, and I find that it is hard for me to say no to someone I enjoy being around, even if I have other things I should be doing (homework, work, gym, etc.) I keep people over too long, or stay out too late, because I get caught up in having fun and I don't know when I should call it quits. I also started dating a girl who lives in my apartment complex. We're getting past the honeymoon phase of "I want to see you every second of every day", but I still find myself hanging out with her almost every night. We like spending time together, and it's just really easy and convenient due to the living situation. I know I should kick her out earlier, but I lose track of time, and all of the sudden it's like midnight.

I just feel like I have a hard time deciding when end a social event, or when to decline altogether.

While the social connection is fantastic, and has made me much happier, I think it's time I start teaching myself how to balance it out with the rest of my life. It is starting to, slowly but surely, eat away at important areas of my life. What would your guys' advice be to start balancing everything out?
Good day, concerning your girlfriend it's best to set a particular time maybe in a week( twice, thrice, it all depends on you) to be with her alone for an hour or so.
Then you should have the rest of the days for work.
Inform her of the time and explain the reason why.
Same thing with your friends, get busy and set time for meetups with them, it's the best because you won't feel guilty & absent minded during conversations.
And above all, friends would value your time together and respect you more considering the fact that you set a particular time and explain to them the reason for the absence, including your girlfriend

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Try letting people know beforehand how long you've got or can stay for.

"Hey, I'd love to pop over. I'll have to head at 9pm though/if that's ok."

You may or may not give a reason. Either way try not to be apologetic.

Try that and see if it helps.

JusticeForSpoils

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 21, 2023
Try letting people know beforehand how long you've got or can stay for.

"Hey, I'd love to pop over. I'll have to head at 9pm though/if that's ok."

You may or may not give a reason. Either way try not to be apologetic.

Try that and see if it helps.
I tried this out today with my girlfriend. Honestly made a big difference. It let me give myself enough time before and after to get everything done I needed/wanted to. Very simple and practical advice, thank you!

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Get your work done first and then go enjoy yourself!

That way you are on the path to success and will still enjoy and make the most out of your youth guilt free.

Life is too short to work 24/7 and it’s also too precious to never achieve anything great.

So do both and make the most out of this beautiful life.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

You can block out your time for important things.

If you keep rejecting to meet your friends soon they will drift away and stop asking to meet you. It just works naturally without you having to make some formal declaration that "I want to cut down my time in social activities".

Social activities are great if you network with at least some purpose. Identify peers who are also interested in homework, business or gym. Identify kids with rich parents. Groom the relationship for potential future uses.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I tried this out today with my girlfriend. Honestly made a big difference. It let me give myself enough time before and after to get everything done I needed/wanted to. Very simple and practical advice, thank you!
Awesome. Sometimes all it takes is a simple change in thinking or action.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.