The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Be that SOMEONE

Anything related to matters of the mind

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Hey guys and gals! :)

I know it's been a while.
Personal life and working on a new product kept me pretty busy lately.

Another reason that I faded more into the background reading is that I don't have much advice to give lately, since I'm just starting out with this product, something I never did before (publishing).

Anyway, let's write some thoughts out, that kept my brain busy the last few days.

One of the thousands of reasons, The Fastlane Forum is such an awesome place to be, is one trait that most members on here have in common: that small thing called Empathy.

Well, yeah, F*ck it. That's not a small thing.

It may appear like it is, because you are used to feeling that way. To being able to put yourself in the shoes of others. Not just in business, when you see the world (or a part of it) through the eyes of your (potential) customers, to see what they need, what they want.
But also in your personal life. When you don't judge a person you love, for their behaviour, but see what drives them to act this way. Why they are angry, mad, sad or distant.

But the more you think about it, the more you'll realize that a lot, if not most, people out there are not able to do that.

Let's be honest.
What did the majority of kids in school say about the kids who were "different"?

That one boy who shit his pants in class? Outcast for the rest of the school years. Probably given some creative nick names like "Lance shit-Pants".
The kids don't give a shit (ok, I know..) that this boy goes home crying every damn day, feeling like a loser. Guess what, maybe this kid was just diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. And besides feeling like his life is already f*cked up because of that chronic non-curable disease, that F*cks up his day to day life, he's also made to believe he is worth less than others. What of a change in this kid's life do you think, could someone make who cares about him and puts him/her-self in his shoes? Who runs with him to the toilet if it happens again, not giving a damn about the other's looks.

What about that girl, a grade above Lance?
"Oh, you mean the crazy one?" would be the standard reply when asked about her.
The 12 year old girl who threw a tantrum because of the smallest of smallest things. That "crazy bitch" who punched another girl in the face for play-wrestling. The one who always crys for apparently no reason.
What if I tell you that this girl was abused for years by her uncle as a kid?
It's probably good for you, if you never had a reason to look up the topic of trauma and PTSD. That girl crying and being unresponsive to your "what's wrong"s? Maybe she has a flashback.
She just flipped out for no obvious reason or a small thing? What if that something triggered her? Oh, she hit that girl while play-wrestling? Go figure that one out for yourself.
Seriously, a lot of people thing child abuse is something that only happens in movies to create a backstory for broken characters (like in Split). But just have a look at the stats:

Every year more than 3.6 million referrals are made to child protection agencies involving more than 6.6 million children (a referral can include multiple children).​

The United States has one of the worst records among industrialized nations – losing on average between four and seven children every day to child abuse and neglect.​

A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds.
Yearly, referrals to state child protective services involve 6.6 million children, and around 3.2 million of those children are subject to an investigated report. (link)

Now, how high is the chance that the "crazy" girl is absolutely not crazy. But had to go through a hell, that most people will never be able to fully relate to (thankfully for them).
How much of a difference do you think would someone make, who takes the time to listen to this girl. To care for her. To see that she is not crazy. To make her see that she is an awesome human being. Someone to wipe her tears away and show her that not everyone in this world is evil. Someone she feels in peace with. Someone she can trust. How much of a difference would someone like this make for her?

I know what you may say now.

"But those are kids"

Yeah. But kids grow up. And then they are adults.
Do you think Crohn's Disease vanishes when you receive your driver's license?
Do you think trauma and PTSD vanish when you are old enough to move out?
Do you think the memory of not having friends in your childhood, disappears when you hit 18?
Or that the words people said to you or the things they did to you will just be gone from your mind as soon as you move into your own home?

Yes, people change and things change. But seriously. Is the adult life really that much different from how we acted as children?

We may not point our finger at the "different" or "difficult" kid and laugh.
Now, we talk about their adult version behind their back.
That "crazy girl"? Now she's the "hard to deal with" woman.
And Lance? Well, Lance killed himself after years of loneliness. Because there was not a someone that showed him the great things in life.

Most human beings think of themselves as empathic. And I don't question that.
I just feel like there is some kind of circle of empathy, that surrounds the inner circle of people's loved ones.

Your son is feeling bad because of his chronic disease? Oh, you can feel for him. You understand him. You would do everything for him.

Your daughter is going through a rough time, because intrusive memories to her childhood trauma enter her mind a lot lately? You lay with her in bed so she can fall asleep in peace and without fear. You make her smile or laugh when she wants to cry. You show her that she will overcome that stressful phase.

Yeah, I don't doubt that loving parents, siblings or partners would do that for each other.

The mother/father for her/his kids.
The brother for his sister and vice versa.
The mother for her husband and vice versa.
The partner for her/his partner.

But what about Lance or that girl? Besides their inner circle, who really gives a damn about how they feel? Why they feel that way?

What I want to say is, empathy shouldn't be restricted to like 5 people in your life.
Empathy
should be something you can feel for everyone, or at least most people.

The mother, who always puts pressure on her son, who's happy with his girl, with asking "how can you be happy with her? She's so distant most of the time!"
That distant girl? Maybe she's like that girl from earlier on. Maybe she is not feeling good and due to her trauma she shuts down emotionally in such a phase. Maybe she is happy that someone took the time to understand her and not judge her for being "distant".

You can't judge the mother for caring for her son. That's empathic. It's just empathy limited for her inner circle. It's 100% empathy for her son. 0% for his girlfriend.
Without that limit on her empathy it would be more like 70% son. 30% girlfriend. Or something like that.

Confronted with it, the mother would probably say "but I am empathic! I care about my son's happiness!" see that limit there? Yeah, we care about our loved ones more. But that shouldn't exclude others, who are not in our inner circle, from our empathic way of seeing and feeling things.

Those others?
Maybe they could need someone who understands them. Takes the time to listen to them. Makes them smile. Shows them how awesome they are, no matter what others make them believe about themselves. Someone they can feel in peace with. They can trust in. They feel safe with.

All those blue and bold words in here?

Be that someone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

corius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Nov 16, 2016
Nebraska
Wow. This is just another great example of how this forum has a light leading you out of the dark. Thank you Supa for the reminder that there are people outside of our inner circles. And that we should not just keep our focus close to home.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Happy that you got something out of it @corius !

As Producers we try to see the world from the angle of the people who we want to offer something awesome: value.

But what is value?

Does it start with turning on and end with turning off your notebook?

I know this is a business forum and you want to read about entrepreneurship and great products that fill needs.

But you can't find needs or wants without being able to be empathic.

Selling shit because it sells currently is not filling a need. It is money chasing.

Putting yourself aside and trying to understand. To REALLY understand someone else and making them feel good is filling a need for someone.

I know it may be on a small scale.

But you never know where this leads you to.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think the forum residents do our best to show empathy, but sometimes we utterly fail in frustration.

Take the old dog tale...

He's whimpering because he's laying on a nail. We feel empathy for his tears. We want to help. We give advice. We say, X, Y, and Z is the problem.

But the dog doesn't listen, or insists the nail isn't piercing his spine. He refuses to get up off the nail and continues to moan.

That's where the empathy typically goes down the toilet.

To REALLY understand someone else and making them feel good is filling a need for someone.

True, and often times money is not involved. Try smiling at a stranger until you get a smile back. Value... ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Now, how high is the chance that the "crazy" girl is absolutely not crazy. But had to go through a hell, that most people will never be able to fully relate to (thankfully for them).
How much of a difference do you think would someone make, who takes the time to listen to this girl. To care for her. To see that she is not crazy. To make her see that she is an awesome human being. Someone to wipe her tears away and show her that not everyone in this world is evil. Someone she feels in peace with. Someone she can trust. How much of a difference would someone like this make for her?

I knew a girl like this.

One of my closest friends. Knew her for over 12 years. We were exceptionally close.

She had the childhood from hell. Utter HELL.

She was a kind, beautiful, charming woman full of love and empathy for everyone around her.

Her childhood demons haunted her though, and she was often quiet and withdrawn. Romantic relationships were difficult at best for her because of that (and the fact that her childhood left her unable to bear children)

She got very little empathy from most people. I often felt like there was no one else in her life she could trust other than me.

She took her own life last October at age 32.

Good post @Supa , I hope people take it to heart.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
That's where the empathy typically goes down the toilet.

True. There's definitely a choice to make. To help those, who actually accept the help. Or make those smile who just can't. Not those who just don't want to, because it feels better if people pitty them.

@MidwestLandlord I am so so sorry for your loss :( your friend had someone, you, in her life that understood her and I'm sure tried to show her how great she was.

Her childhood demons haunted her though, and she was often quiet and withdrawn.

My post is actually from personal experience, too.

It is one thing if people who have no idea what that person went through and what she's dealing with, may wonder about a behaviour or about an attitude. A lot of people probably don't assume that something so terrible could really happen to someone they know.

But, if people actually know all that. And then they act without empathy. That's something I just cannot understand.

In my personal experience the 2 people from the main post are actually one. A person who went through hell in her childhood and developed Crohn's Disease in her young adulthood.

If people would care and take just half an hour to read about Trauma, they'd know how people with trauma or PTSD react to stress. They lash out. They shut down emotionally.

Now in that one case, add a chronic disease plus severe back pain (aka pure stress) to all that and you have someone who seems quiet and maybe emotionally distant. This person is not doing any harm, nor is she complaining or whatever, she's just more quiet and distant than usual. But most people don't understand that it's just her trauma and pain, that it's not her as a person. That she can't even do anything against it except waiting until the pain gets better and her stress levels decrease.

Most people blame her for being distant. They only see the surface. And ignore everything that's below it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.