The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When does a Wantrepreneur become an Entrepreneur?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
You are not an entrepreneur if you are receiving cash from a trust fund or investments you didn't make. Right now I can't come up with another idea of something that makes you money that doesn't solve a problem.

G

GuestUser113

When they solve a problem, with their idea, for money.

download.jpg

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
You are not an entrepreneur if you are receiving cash from a trust fund or investments you didn't make. Right now I can't come up with another idea of something that makes you money that doesn't solve a problem.
It's funny you say that. I was trying to think of things that make money, but don't solve a problem.

But I could always sort of make up a problem from the business solution.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
What? What kind of question is it? Is there some kind of certified agency that issues you a certificate when you become an entrepreneur?

Entrepreneur means, literally, to assume the risk for a business venture. Are you assuming said risks? Congratulation. Get back to work.

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
What? What kind of question is it? Is there some kind of certified agency that issues you a certificate when you become an entrepreneur?

Entrepreneur means, literally, to assume the risk for a business venture. Are you assuming said risks? Congratulation. Get back to work.
What's with the hostility?

Adam Secada

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jan 21, 2014
Dallas, TX
What's with the hostility?

I'll try and be a bit more diplomatic, since I've found that joining forums like this can be a bit of baptism by fire if you ask certain things.

I'm fairly certain that even if you could reach a consensus here as to what the definition of an Entrepreneur and Wantrapreneur is, I think the first thing people here will ask is "so what"? Putting out artificial targets for you to cross to make you feel good, or that you've "made it" really isn't what this website is about.

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
I'll try and be a bit more diplomatic, since I've found that joining forums like this can be a bit of baptism by fire if you ask certain things.

I'm fairly certain that even if you could reach a consensus here as to what the definition of an Entrepreneur and Wantrapreneur is, I think the first thing people here will ask is "so what"? Putting out artificial targets for you to cross to make you feel good, or that you've "made it" really isn't what this website is about.
Yeah that is fair.

The reason I ask is because I browse these forums I see the term 'wantrepreneur' used for various reasons, normally in a derogatory way. Naturally, that caused me to wonder at what point someone is no longer considered a wantrepreneur.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
When you stop making declarations that get you nowhere and start taking actions that get you paid.

My $0.02.

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
When you stop making declarations that get you nowhere and start taking actions that get you paid.

My $0.02.
What do you mean by declarations that get you no where?

Phrases such as 'I'm going to' or 'I will' instead 'I have' ?

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Yeah that is fair.

The reason I ask is because I browse these forums I see the term 'wantrepreneur' used for various reasons, normally in a derogatory way. Naturally, that caused me to wonder at what point someone is no longer considered a wantrepreneur.
I actually answered you question above. Entrepreneur is not some wishy washy new age word. An entrepreneur is someone who assumes the risk of a business venture. Literally.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entrepreneur

Wantrapreneur is a derogatory term, as you say, to indicate people who "want" to be entrepreneurs, but don't anything else than talking about it.
For this word let's ask the best dictionary around:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wantrapreneur
"Someone who talks a big game about being or becoming an entrepreneur but is pretty much full of shit and will never actually do anything."
Beautifully put.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Wantreprenuer - smells of desperation, avoidance, financial irresponsibility, lacks context, wants it all as if by magic.

Entreprenuer - is able to identify and validate opportunities, effectively manage risk, and complete the tasks and set ups of launching a profitable business.

Business leader - Professional, responsible, well timed, observant, can create at scale (without hand holding), and knows how to balance work, benifitting others and lifestyle.

Wantreprenuers want to be business leaders to avoid pain.
Business leaders want to be leaders because it means being bigger than fear and anxiety, and it means to become knowledgeable and helpful.

Last edited:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
What do you mean by declarations that get you no where?

"I have this idea..."

"Starting today..."

"My goal is..."

"Starting tomorrow..."

You're doing it right when people hear about the goals you set because you met and/or exceeded them.

Lots of time reading, lots of time worrying about ideas, lots of time wondering about "what-ifs." That's the wantreprenuer life.

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
I don't see people's obsession of naming things. This is that, and that is this, who cares, you'll know instinctively when you are one or the other. I'm still wantrepreneur for the most part and the first day I take real action, risks and get a paying customer, I'll call myself an entrepreneur.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
WANTREPRENEUR
-----------------------

How do I get a black card?
What's a quick and easy way to make $4,000 a month? Step by step please, like plug-n-play.
How do I launch a website? I have an idea that will kill Facebook.
I have an idea, does anyone want to partner with me? Someone who can do enterprise level coding, marketing, and provide capital. I'll give you 30%!
How do I start a lead-gen website? I'd like to make a lead gen website, that's what MJ did.
Where's a good place to get business cards?
Check out my startup! (I spent 21 minutes installing Wordpress and a template.)
Typically anyone who throws the word "startup" around like a Frisbee on the beach.
Typically anyone who throws the phrase "passive income" around like a Frisbee on the beach.

ENTREPRENEUR
------------------------

How do I acquire a license from the NCAA for my new product?
How do I reach this odd market, CPM or CPC? Facebook? Instagram? Reddit?
How do I import a 300lb container from China, I have 4 estimates but each have their own drawbacks.
I just found out my product is being used by an LPGA tour pro! (@Catalyst )
I was just at the gym and saw someone reading my book while on the stairmaster!
Just looked at my Home Depot numbers; saw we sold 15,000 last month. (@Likwid24 )

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Simple litmus test.

Entrepreneurs know the answer to your question.

Wantrepreneurs don't.

Within your understanding of the question lies the answer.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
an entrepreneur, to me, is someone who builds a system of earning income that is disconnected from their time. however I don't feel like everyone in business is an entrepreneur. an entrepreneur is someone who could lose it all, start at square one and do it all over again. its in their DNA.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you're still talking about doing the same thing you talked about doing last month, then you're a wantrapreneur.

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
These replies are fantastic!
Just the kind of opinions I wanted to hear from everyone.
Thanks very much everyone!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Real Entrepreneurs tend to ask questions and have answers that show how much due diligence, research, critical thinking and understanding they have of a particular market or business. It makes you go "Holy crap this guy is the real deal, he knows his numbers and his propositions make sense." They ask questions that are very difficult and give answers that are profound. You don't have to be a millionaire now, but it shows of somebody who is really "out there" and is gonna "make it".

For example:
"Hey guys, I just developed a new technology that allows XYZ businesses to decrease their costs, increase their revenue, reduce their overhead, reduce lag time and become more effective and efficient. Should I license it or sell it?"

Wantrepreneurs on the other hand tend to be lazy, lack any insight or chase money. They think that owning a Rolex and a BMW 3 series is "success" or helps you on the way to success. They tend to be focused on material things rather than focusing on the boring and difficult dynamics and concepts that are involved in building a business.

For example:
"Hey guys, what is a good way to make $1,000 a week online without really doing anything?"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.