The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you tell your 18 or 25 year old self?

DiamondDog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 3, 2016
I'm 25 years old and this is what I'm telling myself now:

"Alright, you finally have a decent paying job. Save 80% of your income, then invest in a new business. Keep the job so you have cashflow to get the businesss on its feet.

Don't be scared of failure. It will probably happen but you just have to keep trying. After all, you only have to get it right once."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ADR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami, FL
The primary thing I would say is not to give up on my business. After three years, I sold a convenience store I was trying to get off the ground. I had plans of creating an eCommerce store and never did. This was in 2008 and I learned a lot. I went back to school to get a 4 year degree and entered the workforce. Now I working my way back to business.

SeanC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 2, 2019
1. Almost nobody has a clue what they're talking about. The people you respect now will probably sound like idiots to you after you grow more. Stop listening to contradictory advice and trying to do the right thing - nobody really knows what the right thing is for themselves, and they definitely don't know what it is for you.

Sit down, analyze your strengths, and start doing things - even if you're not clear on where they'll take you. They create opportunities you never anticipated.

Educated guesses and your gut are the only things that stay consistent. Consistency breed success.

2. Try a bunch of things. Get ready to fail. Accept that you'll lose a lot of what you have. Times will get hard. You'll make really dumb choices - but after long enough they lead to some right ones. It's pretty unlikely anything good will fall out of the sky on to your lap if you don't suffer first.

3. The worst moments come right before the biggest breakthroughs.

4. Don't be a dick to your future self and waste 30-minute increments of your life.

5. Women and alcohol tend to bring chaos, and you'll be like a frog boiling in a pot - you don't see it while it's happening. It's subtle (until it's not). You need order to succeeed.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
1. Almost nobody has a clue what they're talking about.

yes indeed at the level of the masses.

the only guys i listen to or read are the masterminds who own society above the circus.

i am not a parrot in the circus like most people . the beautiful thing is that people don't believe they are conned . their lives are totaly controled in a system .

this is a war against the mind, not the bodies like " classical war "

99 % of people can't understand that. in fact 80 % of wars are " mind wars "

peace does not exit on earth. you are at war everyday until death

a reminder : the movie " they live "

so i would tell my 25 years old self to start reading these things as soon as possible

hilton hotema's books
omraam avainhof 's books
chinese strategy books
neville goddard 's books

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
For you 25 yr old+ guys out there, if you could go back in time, and tell your 25 year old self something, what would you say?
Give up asset management dream job early and go into sales early.

Sleep more and exercise well.

Get into crypto trading earlier.

Give more. Donate to charity. Help young colleagues fresh out from college.

In short do all the above at mid 20s instead of at 30.

Last edited:

PupRich

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Jul 15, 2019
I don't have anything to tell myself before But there is something I can tell myself now .:peace:
Meaning i must be a billionaire.:devil:
Thank you.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I don't have anything to tell myself before But there is something I can tell myself now .:peace:
Meaning i must be a billionaire.:devil:
Thank you.
You don't have to be a billionaire -- just financially independent in order to have a good life.

This thread is all about what we learn along the way as we get older and gain wisdom. It about how things get easier when we've got some experience under our belts. It about the follies of youth and how we wasted a lot of time and energy on stuff that really didn't count. What can we say about those moments now? How could we have made life easier and better if we had known "X"?

I think about the story of the two guys cutting wood with their axes. The young guy couldn't keep up with the old guy. He finally asked how an old man could cut wood so much faster. The old guy replied, "I don't know. But every time we take a break, I just keep sharpening my ax while you tell me all about your problems."

Being smart is learning something new. Being wise is learning from our past and the actions of the other people around us.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
I cannot go back in time and do it, but I assume this exercise is not about it (I know, I am a genius).

I would like someone older and experienced to listen to what I have to say and how I feel about 'life' and 'the world'. To confront myself with someone who could help me navigate through life better or at least, more aware.

That's why I started doing this. I am looking for people that are 25, 20, 15, or whatever their age is, BECAUSE AGE IS IRRELEVANT, and I am trying to ask them what they think and feel and add my thoughts to it, but gently. As every person is different and every experience has different meaning for different people.

I will be preaching and will be adamant about it. This is why most advice don't work. With all the advice in this thread (and on this forum), it's pointless. Because changing the world is not about giving advice to people that are ready for it, so are ready for it. It's helping people that aren't ready...

You cannot say 'this is what I would say to a 25 year old version of me' because you wouldn't listen. I wouldn't. No one would. Or the chances are really slim. Before you want to give advice to 'your 25 version', ask this person what he really wants or feels, and then add to it, maybe...

Dedicated to you: @elusive97 and @Aurelius

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I cannot go back in time and do it, but I assume this exercise is not about it (I know, I am a genius).

I would like someone older and experienced to listen to what I have to say and how I feel about 'life' and 'the world'. To confront myself with someone who could help me navigate through life better or at least, more aware.

That's why I started doing this. I am looking for people that are 25, 20, 15, or whatever their age is, BECAUSE AGE IS IRRELEVANT, and I am trying to ask them what they think and feel and add my thoughts to it, but gently. As every person is different and every experience has different meaning for different people.

I will be preaching and will be adamant about it. This is why most advice don't work. With all the advice in this thread (and on this forum), it's pointless. Because changing the world is not about giving advice to people that are ready for it, so are ready for it. It's helping people that aren't ready...

You cannot say 'this is what I would say to a 25 year old version of me' because you wouldn't listen. I wouldn't. No one would. Or the chances are really slim. Before you want to give advice to 'your 25 version', ask this person what he really wants or feels, and then add to it, maybe...

Dedicated to you: @elusive97 and @Aurelius
When I was 25, I had really good mentors -- and yes, I hung on their every word. By that time, I had to hell and back. If it weren't for some really good people who took me under their wings, I wouldn't be here today. Some of us really listened to those kind helpers and took their advice to heart. One of my mentors died when I was 51 years old. I had never made a career move without talking to her. I still miss her wise counsel and even-handed advice.

If I was to give my 25-year-old self advice, I would tell her to take a deep breath and relax. Now, from my senior point of view, I know that life is not all that serious. I now know that -- this too shall pass. I'm younger at my advanced 66 years than I was at 16. I would never want to go back to being young again. It was way too painful and I didn't know how to handle that level of adversity.

Now I can swat those problem people away in one or two sentences. I'm to the point where bad guys walk way around me. They don't want to tangle with me. And that avoids a lot of problems before they happen. But, I learned to be that woman with the help of a lot of good advice over the years. Yes, some of us were happy to listen when we were young and we're still learning and listening.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
For you 25 yr old+ guys out there, if you could go back in time, and tell your 25 year old self something, what would you say?
I guess it applies to me. what would you do if you could travel to the future till 25 years old. Not even in my 20s.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

Roxas{ITA}

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 8, 2019
Instead of getting screwed by both of these (as I was close), I did enough research before hand and saved myself the trouble. I thought Amway was game-over when I found it, and that's been around for a long time! Glad I didn't buy into it. I'm only 18 so I still got a few more years to go ;)
Have u finded your way to go???

francevalue

The Apostle
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 29, 2019
(̶S̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶ France
Well, since it's for the future me,
I'd say
I hope you didn't do shit during the past 7 years.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
What would I tell my 25-year-old self ...?

Hard to say ... I'd be too busy bitch slapping the shit out him.

The things I know now ... that I wish I knew then ... would fill a book.

Not even going to attempt it.

The real question -- in my mind -- is what will I want to bitch slap myself over 20 years from today?

The biggest difference between me at 20 ... and me at 40 ... is that me at 40 ... knows another round of bitch slaps are coming.

Guaranteed.

When I figure out why ... I'll let ya know. ;)
haha

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
No matter what, you are not immune to the company you keep, drop the bums asap.

Finish whatever you start.
Fail fast and learn faster.
Probability of luck increases with hard work
You can do whatever you want when you are successful, use now to get there

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Stop the madness.

LIVE FOR YOURSELF.

Not others.

Learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

Period.

End of Story.

Because it IS the end of your story.

Do not allow, anyone, or any pre-programmed mind influences control the rest of your life.

Stop and think. Just take time and.........THINK.

No media. No Social. Not even a forum.....

Just think. Pause

And think again.

Create AUTHENTIC value in yourself first.

Foremost.

So that you can bring authentic value to the world.

Stop competing for respect from others, be it father or mother or peers or whatever you think is expected of you.

What do YOU want?

Define it. Focus on that.

Learn to be your real self.

And then... Share it with the world.

We are waiting.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
DO NOT get married until you are at LEAST 30! You really have no clue and probably don't have a clue at 30 either but at least you should be able to afford it. LOL All the best

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Learn to be comfortable in your own skin.

This is probably the single most important skill that will make anyone and everyone happy!

Nothing else matters.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
You create your own reality.

Only you are responsible for creating your own path, your own happiness, your own life. Never blame this on circumstances or other people. Never be the victim.

Einstein said it well:
If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things
Six years later.. I'd change the quote:

If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a purpose, not to people or things

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

And you will run into the same rock wall... over time... I thought like that when I was younger and that mindset was appropriate for that time in my life. I've learned some hard-fought lessons since then over the years.
When I was younger, I had a serious health issue and I wasn't expected to live. I learned what was important to me. I had struggled hard for years to gain a good education and success. I am a DYI project and proud of it. And here I was laying in my bed, very much alone, in a lot of physical pain and I was dying from a problem that I didn't cause. It was just the luck of the draw. I spent 6 months in bed and struggled to get up and start again. That was followed by another year in bed. My doctors gave up on me. Somehow, I'm still here years and years later. And I'm doing OK.
I learned that very few things counted when I was laying there. Most things in my life meant nothing. I treasured the people who I loved -- both living and those who had past on. I treasured my memories and who visited me. I have lived my life with that understanding since then. Yes, I did go back to school and got more degrees. Yes, I have struggled to be successful. BUT, I make the people in my life and making memories my prime priorities.

ryjohn829

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 20, 2020
Suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts
And you will run into the same rock wall... over time... I thought like that when I was younger and that mindset was appropriate for that time in my life. I've learned some hard-fought lessons since then over the years.
When I was younger, I had a serious health issue and I wasn't expected to live. I learned what was important to me. I had struggled hard for years to gain a good education and success. I am a DYI project and proud of it. And here I was laying in my bed, very much alone, in a lot of physical pain and I was dying from a problem that I didn't cause. It was just the luck of the draw. I spent 6 months in bed and struggled to get up and start again. That was followed by another year in bed. My doctors gave up on me. Somehow, I'm still here years and years later. And I'm doing OK.
I learned that very few things counted when I was laying there. Most things in my life meant nothing. I treasured the people who I loved -- both living and those who had past on. I treasured my memories and who visited me. I have lived my life with that understanding since then. Yes, I did go back to school and got more degrees. Yes, I have struggled to be successful. BUT, I make the people in my life and making memories my prime priorities.
I’m sorry that you experienced all of that. I’m very happy that you have become successful. I’d like to hear more about your story. I encourage you to tell more of your story.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I’m sorry that you experienced all of that. I’m very happy that you have become successful. I’d like to hear more about your story. I encourage you to tell more of your story.
Thanks for asking. Yes, I'm still here and I'm wrestling with my life every day. My story is only important because I've been able to have a tiny bit of positive influence in my little world. I believe that my job is to stand in my own truth and make a difference with the people directly around me -- charity starts at home. I must be successful in my businesses in order to create value for everyone. That's the big picture. The application of that picture is that I provide the only group of affordable housing in my community and the only self-service Laundromat. I have around 150 people who live in my rentals located within my mobile home park. 50 of those people are children. It hard for big families to find housing so I rent my homes to several. 19 households are disabled or seniors -- or both. In April, we had two new babies born about a week apart. My daily issues are very in-your-face human events. With this virus emergency, I spend my days making sure that everyone is OK, disturbing food from the food banks, and finding ways to get people the stuff that they need. Sometimes they just need a kind word.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
You know those friends/relationships you've considered terminating over the years? Do it immediately.

Pay off your student loan ASAP

Don't overreact during a bad point in your life.

Pick something, and stick with it until it fails periodically or you completely lose interest.

See doctors and dentists more often, and look into therapy/counselling just for insight. Remove the stigma out of your brain that therapy is for the weak and troubled.

most importantly, HAVE FUN

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Start a bodybuilding routine and read philosophy books. Everything worthwhile in life stems from a strong body and a strong mind. Plus life is easier when you look good.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
Now that I'm 30 and started visiting this forum when I was in my early twenties, I may as well update this thread since it's popped up in my email once again.

I would tell myself the following:

Don't try and learn to become a programmer unless it's what you're truly made to do.

Instead, learn how to sell and learn marketing.

Don't try and reinvent the wheel. Just find a business model that is already working and repeat and do it better. Find something you like, and pursue that. Go be a personal trainer who sells online packages if you're super fit. Or sell microgreens online, or maybe even start a web design agency or market agency if you want. Start an HVAC company, or an equipment rental business. No need to go and start the next SaaS wonder single handedly. You'll waste years of your life attempting that.

Focus on sharpening your leadership.

Get and pay a mentor who's much further ahead of you.

Don't go to college unless you want a trade. Instead buy training you can apply immediately from people who have the results you want to have.

Enjoy the process. Don't make yourself miserable on the journey because you'll burn out and you'll start to weigh the suffering you're creating yourself against the success you want... So make your journey fun. Think of it all as an adventure. Risk is an adventure.

Set a long term big goal but also define shorter steps in a concrete plan but don't get attached to it because that plan will change as you learn new things.

Once you have the cashflow, hire a recruiting company to start finding you people to add to your business. Don't be a DIY kind of person. Be a leader who gets others to do the work.

You're probably going to fail a bunch of times until you figure things out, so just fail forward and do it fast.

Also know you're going to have to change as a person from starter and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants to manager/leader if you really want to grow your business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.