The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What will you accomplish in 2020? <-- Well did u?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I am starting a new business after New Years Day. I must get the business license, the professional license, get a surety bond, get the insurance, set up the LLC, get the right to do credit checks, buy the software and set up the office in the space we have set aside. I learned Word Press last year, so I'll finish setting up our web site and email list. Yes, we have already moved the sister business to our new location so we're just about ready to rock and roll. We already have our first few sales and a couple of financing contracts. Why am I waiting? I don't want to pay the fees twice and file a 0 return for the LLC. Also, it's winter here in Alaska and it was 3 degrees this morning. Christmas is next week. If that sounds like an excuse, don't worry. I'm using the time well.
What am I doing? My partner has an auto/truck repair business. He is well known for his work here in our area. I know business and money and I am successful in my businesses. Our new location has a really wide frontage on a 4 lane highway coming into town from a neighboring town -- with a traffic count of about 12,000 cars per day. For our neck of the woods, that's a lot. So, I'm getting my dealer's license to sell used cars. Sounds really glamorous uh? Do you think that my doctorate in law, or my other 3 college degrees count in this new business? You bet ya! We're going to carry our own paper so it's all about contracts. MJ, in his books, says that 85% of vehicles on the road are financed. That's a wonderful wagon to jump on. The combination of my partner's knowledge about vehicles and my knowledge about financing and carrying paper will equal a wonderful cash flow. And, my partner will be the guy on-site to be the face of the business. I'll be the money bags and the brains behind the scene. (Also, his mother is my BFF and one of my tenants. We're kind-of shirt-tail relatives)
No, it's not scalable in the traditional sense. BUT, it will have a passive cash flow stream for years to come and we'll collect interest on our profit from the vehicles as well as my investment monies.
No, it not sexy. It's not something to write home to Mother about. But, it's already starting to work.
The last car sales company that rented that highway space sold 123 cars per year on average. And they had terrible vehicles. With my partner choosing and fixing the vehicles -- and me putting up the money to purchase the ones for sale and then financing them, we should best the last guy's numbers pretty quickly. We've already sold some cars and trucks that we parked out front, and we're not even set up yet.
I'll make paying the payments as easy on our customers as possible. I have an auto draw account for my residential rentals. I'll set up one for the cars. And I'll set up PayPal on our web site so they can make payments online. I'll do the auto draw on the 1st and 15th of each month. Our customers who use the auto draw will be able to choose which date of the month that works best for them.
I'm really excited. I love to collect payments. To me, that's the ultimate in sexy businesses. I already buy real estate trust deeds, so I have over 40 years of experience in that type of business.
What if this new business doesn't work? I can sum that up in one word. NEXT!

My buddy owned a used car lot for 43 years and he always financed.... have a good repo guy. He said he always made more money by people making the down payments and by the time the 3rd or 4th person bought the same car, it was all profit. lol He retired now but he really misses it. I told him I'm in for the money if he ever wants to open another lot but I doubt he needs/wants a partner. Good luck.

My goal for 2020 is to make it through this DFW traffic without killing someone. If I'm not here to update in 2020, you know I didn't make my goal.....

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
1. Write and publish three ebooks
2. Build out my blog
3. Build up my email list
4. Join some solid affiliate programs (yes I know this isn’t fast lane)
5. Create printable s & short courses to sell
6. Start freelancing to help fund it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

francevalue

The Apostle
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 29, 2019
(̶S̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶ France
1) Pass my A Grades and be accepted into a prépa or post bac university.
2) Get a girlfriend.
3) On a business side, have at least 1$ in profit from any of a business and 10$ in valuation!

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
I will..

-grow my local Estonian business as much as possible in the next 2-3 months and then sell it (nothing to get me or you excited about - it's hard to scale here so I'm not looking for a payday. Just a small profit and selling to someone who wants to start out and have a small side income).

-work hard on my new project - same niche as the local one, but digital products. Selling worldwide. Want to get at least 10 customers in February. Would love to be profitable after 6 months and get more organic customers. Just starting this now and spending money on ads to get traction and followers. 2 clients so far, I'm happy with it.

-test new physical products I designed in the first months of 2020. I will get the samples next week and by March I should know if I should pursue it or walk away. Pretty excited about this one anyway.

-quit my job abroad in February-March and get a new one in Estonia. Will lose a lot of money with this move, but I need more time to work on business. I have savings for maybe a year at that point and if I get a new job here I don't have to use my savings. Only for business purposes maybe. I'm also getting more and more unhappy travelling all the time and I want to be home with my family.

-meet new people who are interested in entrepreneurship and self-development. Currently not a lot of people like this in my life. Hoping to meet some of the forum guys when I work in Oslo in the next couple of months!

-learn new platforms to use for my business - FB is now my main thing, but I'm just starting with IG and Pinterest. For physical products I will also use Etsy, E-Bay, Amazon. So a lot of learning!

-compete in at least one half-marathon competition. Time will be under 2 hours.

-make 2020 the last year I work for someone else (maybe being a bit naive with this one).

Wishing you all the best!

ALEX-P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 14, 2016
Queensland
Must-Do
- Hit A$10K/month with my consulting business (currently $4800)
- Fix 1 health problem through a small operation
- Visit my family and friends on the other side of the world
- Learn to validate business ideas relatively fast
- Read TFF at least one per week
- Read at least 3 business-related books
- Buy a new MacBook + Blackmagic eGPU Pro
- Do gym 4 times p/w on average
- Make people around me happy
- Master the flexitarian diet (started 2 weeks ago and doing great already)

Optional (depending on future business opportunities)
- 1 business trip to China
- Visit Thailand once (where I would like to live for two years in the future)

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX

ALEX-P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 14, 2016
Queensland
How well did everyone do this year?

Here's my results:

✅Hit A$10K/month with my consulting business (currently $4800)
✅Fix 1 health problem through a small operation
❌Visit my family and friends on the other side of the world
✅Learn to validate business ideas relatively fast
❌Read TFF at least one per week
❌Read at least 3 business-related books
✅Buy a new MacBook + Blackmagic eGPU Pro
✅Do gym 4 times p/w on average
✅- Make people around me happy
❌Master the flexitarian diet (started 2 weeks ago and doing great already)

Optional (depending on future business opportunities)
❌ 1 business trip to China
❌ Visit Thailand once (where I would like to live for two years in the future)

Some of the ❌ failed because of Covid.
Plus I finally started my business!!!! Not yet in the market but I will be launching in April next year!

D

Deleted74396

Hey MJ! Aren't you less likely to achieve your goals by sharing them?

That said, I certainly will not have another year where I'm broke.

Half way through your book and a lot of the mindset I had as a naturally entrepreneurial young person, and kinda lost after having a really bad year mentally, is coming back to me. With your wealth of knowledge it's coming back twice as strong!

Infact the short 3 weeks I've been on this forum have been eye opening, and got me back to a place where I approach things positively. I'm working on myself properly again.

Getting up isn't so hard again, I'm so grateful!

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA
2019 has been challenging, but a great and awesome year; definitely one of the most transformative and successful ones in my book. For 2020:

1) Publish ebook by end of January 2020

2) Launch initial MVP (out of various), incorporate and acquire first customers by mid-February. Late winter timing is perfect.

3) Continue to grow customer base. Grow and diversify service/offers in a sustainable manner if appropriate

4) Have business income at par with job income by end of 2020

Been working on this for a few years, and finally got myself to a position where I can finally execute with the amount of leverage necessary to not neglect some of the most important things in life.

SuperBlast

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 3, 2019
- Provide enough value to surpass my job monthly earnings with a fastlane business by the end of the year

- Consistently be a disciplined, resourceful and adaptable entrepreneur

- Develop a recurring money system with more than a dozen satisfied clients

- Attend the gym at least 3 times a week when on membership

- Bench press more than 225 pounds

- Have a gym membership for 9 or more months in total

- Listen to at least a thousand hours of audiobooks to learn an expand my knowledge

- Save most of my salary but also invest in education

- Achieve significant progress towards my goals every week in order to become an habit

QuantumLeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 25, 2018
Not a New Year's Resolution thread, but a mere proclamation of what you will accomplish in 2020.

List one thing, or many.

Whatever you resolve to do.

Please keep your proclamation measurable!

Lose weight is not measurable, lose 50 lbs is!
Start a business is not measurable, sell X units is!

This time next year, we will bump this thread and see how things went!

Also, if you posted in this thread AND have a progress thread, please include and link to it!!

Thank you!

For me, my 2020 objective is of a personal nature, so it isn't something I'm willing to disclose here.

Finish what I started in 2019 my GASI (General Artificial Super intelligence) Algorithm + implementation (yes we're not done yet) + Move to Bahrain (before Deutsche bank collapses). But that is a little hard as I've as a matter of fact got a rare neurological condition. (Panthonate Kinase associated neurodegeneration) But F*ck that The GASI (if it works) will cure me as easy as people who don't mind getting fail phobia passes an university exam.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
This time I'll list the goals for each major area:
  1. Health
    1. Make exercise a daily habit for real
    2. Keep eating healthy food, but get more variety
  2. Wealth
    1. Save up to 40K+ GBP
    2. Have 100-200 GBP/month of recurrent/passive income - Not sure how yet. Either from investments or from side projects, but even this amount it's going to be hard if I don't have a clear idea
  3. Lifestyle
    1. Spend half a day at the weekend to exclusively spend time on my hobbies
    2. One trip to somewhere in Europe
  4. Relationships: Blank - I know, I need to fix this
  5. Spirituality
    1. Go through Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World again and make it stick, making meditation a daily habit

Apart from that, I want to publish at least 2 mobile apps (ideally 1 app and 1 game).

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
There are some people, I want to support in 2020 personally.
Than I want to get many people using some things I have invented and I want to make some people read some books I have written and I want to write.
I want some people to be happy about my service I provide for them.
If there’s some money for that finding me, I ll not mind.

Sports: I ll try to keep up with my 10 years younger sportsfriends, as I did this year, and not hurt doing this.

Iwant to meet some interesting people, maybe out of this forum. But only, it the dring beer! ;)

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
- If my visa goes all well and good, complete my forms and move to Canada (Vancouver) in November.
- Build my fitness nutrition blog/website to a professional standard.
- Gather 5000 Instagram followers on my nutrition/fitness account.
- Do a roadtrip from Melbourne to the Barrier Reef
- Self Publish 5 books on Kindle KDP.
- Read 30 books.
- Get to around 7% bodyfat before August then continue to leanbulk.
- Work in Ibiza for a month (could be a messy month haha)

These are just some of my goals but these are the ones that I 100% want to set out and do.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
1. Pay off car
2. Buy 1st property
3. Wrap my head around software engineering + make 2 apps I want to use
4. Sell 150k in marketing business
5. Document my journey

finnyfun

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Aug 20, 2018
Connecticut
1. I want to hit 1000 MRR (around 10 customers @ $100 a mo) for my web design business providing value through maintenance, revisions, etc. (credit to somebody for this idea, forget what there name is but thanks)
2. I want to provide enough value that I can sell sites worth at least $1000 or more to my clients. I'm currently on my first client for an art gallery and I feel like there is a big need as most of these owners are boomers and computer illiterate (mostly)
3. I want to continue my food desert business ( snowcones specifically) and go to more events like running races.

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
I haven't managed to achieve much in 2019, even after receiving a huge help. It totally feels like failure for me. In 2020:
1) Stop behaving like victim.
2) Cut off from hyperreality.
3) Make at least 2000 pln from any side hustle.
4) Read at least 15 books.

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
Came up with this tonight, may refine later...

- $150K USD gross sales on Amazon (December 31st)

- Hire at least 1 VA, possibly more if needed (Jan. 1st)

- Close on 1st rental property before current apartment lease is up to begin journey of building RE empire (May 27th)

- Sign up for Fastlane INSIDERS which I should have done a while back (Jan. 1st)

- Become semi fluent in Spanish, (have not figured out the best way to track this and how to be specific so any ideas welcome)

- 1 International Trip, with credit card points I really don't have to come out of pocket for this (Dec 31st)

- Read 12 books, 1 per month (Dec. 31st)

- Continue to eat healthy and increase body weight to 200 pounds. Currently at 185 so this comes out to a bulk of 1.25 pounds per month... still need to figure out bench press and squat goals in the next few days. (Dec. 31st)

- Develop 3 genuine friendships locally with people that have similar mindsets and have goals that align with mine. While some people will say you will naturally attract people that think similarly when you reach a certain level of success, I think it is important to cultivate and find these relationships along the journey. (Dec. 31st)

Rwill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Sep 9, 2019
canada
Owner/Operator of my company. This December I moved from project manager to full time office work. This year the goal is to move to owner/investor and not have to spend much time at my company if I don't have to (but I will )
To do that is as follows

1. Create job descriptions for every position, right down to lead hand. Then its clear to everyone what's expected and I can reward good performance and correct sub par.
2. Complete our website directed at the clients I'm trying to attain
3. Organize the reporting from the bookkeeper so I can monitor trends weekly not quarterly
4. Organize the reporting from project managers so I can monitor project progress and so can the managers
5. Buy new building to house our operations, not spread between 3 locations as currently

More to come, but these are the building blocks

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
2020:
Production goals:
12 large gallery-ready paintings.
3 master workshops.

Someone liked this post, so I want to thank them for the reminder.

Due to Covid, I didn´t really take any master workshops. However, I took a 2-week online coaching with a painter I really love and he taught me some good stuff.
I almost finished 7 paintings, of which only 3 I consider gallery-worthy. I also formulated long-term principles for painting(it's now a hobby) and pivoted my strategy in Q3.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Get married!!! woohoo! We've been dating for 8 years, and there were reasons, but finally, we're getting married in the spring!

In other realms:
- learn programming to expand skills
- take on enough clients as an independent sales rep in my industry that I don't need a standard j-o-b
- save up $2000 to test the industry marketplace idea
- visit my Dad
- write little books to sell on Amazon
- create SAR obstacle course training
- start the hill garden (3 year project)
We got married! Not the wild dance party reception with 150 people, but 11 people (breaking the lockdown rules) in the backyard. My dressmaker closed her shop, so I wore a polka dot dress. I didn't marry for the wedding, anyway - I married for him.

- Decided programming is too frustrating to learn, I'll just hire a programmer when I need one.
- Closed both my consulting (zero people in my pipeline after March) and my microbusiness (clients' businesses failing worldwide). Took a 'needs must' j-o-b at Home Depot part time, to allow me time to build the basement machinery and systems of a new venture.
- saved the money! testing over the next 2 months.
- can't visit my Dad, he's in extreme lockdown in a nursing home. He tested positive for Covid, but didn't have any symptoms. 14 other people in the home died, though. He's bored out of his mind.
- still writing little books to sell, and about to hire ghostwriters to follow the recipe.
- heck, I forgot all about the SAR obstacle course! We dealt with the #AlmedaFire, as well as the usual, so it's been kind of weird, busy year.
- the garden commences! Year 2 will be all about improving yield and categories.

This is good. I'll write up my expectations for 2021, including how-to-not-die-from-Covid.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
1. Sign at least one new client per month

2. Create prototype and launch mvp of product idea

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My buddy owned a used car lot for 43 years and he always financed.... have a good repo guy. He said he always made more money by people making the down payments and by the time the 3rd or 4th person bought the same car, it was all profit. lol He retired now but he really misses it. I told him I'm in for the money if he ever wants to open another lot but I doubt he needs/wants a partner. Good luck.

My goal for 2020 is to make it through this DFW traffic without killing someone. If I'm not here to update in 2020, you know I didn't make my goal.....
Thanks for your comments. Who would think that a girl like me would end up a used car salesman!

It can only work with my partner and I working together -- combining our skills and resources. We have a 2-year option to purchase the location where we moved. I'll be hoarding the cash flow money toward that purchase.
I was going to start a business buying and selling lakefront lots -- we have 28 stocked lakes in our area. I was going to carry the paper for that idea too. This is the same business model, only a much faster turn over -- so I shelved the lot-business-idea. I don't know much about vehicles except you put gas in one end and point the other end where you want to go. I can quickly learn a lot more than that. Thank goodness my partner is totally into vehicles. I'm falling in love with the whole idea. I'm moving from thinking of vehicles as an asset that quickly loses value, to realizing that it's a really sweet business. Who would think that 85% of vehicles are financed and I can be a part of that financing system!
You're right about the repo guy. One of my first buys will be a tow truck. I think that's a good job for a guy who wants to make a one-time hefty fee per repo job. And he can drive that really cool tow truck to drag home our vehicle. I bet I'll have guys fighting over who gets to go out and do the snatches.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If it was only that easy to repo. lol I have several friends in the business. One friend had his son shot in the face about 10 years ago. He lived and is leading a 'normal' life now. Another guy got out of the repo business and bought several wreckers to do regular towing. My other buddy used to head up one of the companies that would take control of houses when the lender would repo it, well, long story short, 3 years ago those companies started getting in to the vehicle repo business because there are so many people not making their payments these days. Good luck and I hope you keep us updated on it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.