The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Opportunities Will Arise From Cancel Culture And Political Polarization?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The recent cancellation of Dr. Seuss publications caused a spike in sales of the canceled books. eBay is now banning sales of those books too. These are just a few examples of cancel culture in action. I'm curious what opportunities might arise from cancel culture itself. What needs are being created as events like this occur?

From the examples above I can imagine:

- A market for banned books, especially Dr. Seuss books (In the short-term this might make a nice side-hustle)
- An entire market segment that will look for an ebay alternative
- A market for shops that exclusively sell cancel culture-friendly goods

What other opportunities might arise out of cancel culture? Doesn't have to be related to the examples above.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The recent cancellation of Dr. Seuss publications caused a spike in sales of the canceled books. eBay is now banning sales of those books too. These are just a few examples of cancel culture in action. I'm curious what opportunities might arise from cancel culture itself. What needs are being created as events like this occur?

- A market for banned books, especially Dr. Seuss books (In the short-term this might make a nice side-hustle)

What other opportunities might arise out of cancel culture? Doesn't have to be related to the examples above.

For those in the U.S. who might consider the banned-book side-hustle, we're entering yard sale season. Now will be a good time to pick up books that sometimes have racial or other "offensive" themes that might follow Dr. Seuss in cancellation. Where's Waldo comes to mind.

D

Deleted78083

Podcasting and blogging for people speaking out.

Decentralized media platforms where no one can ban you.

A silkroad for cancel goods?

Also you gonna have to reprint all of this, so editors and printers will have a lot of work.

Maybe a cancel culture consulting business, advising companies on what part of their business is offensive or about to be cancelled lmao "cancel yourself before the mob does it for you"

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Maybe a cancel culture consulting business, advising companies on what part of their business is offensive or about to be cancelled lmao "cancel yourself before the mob does it for you"

That last one will be an awesome opportunity. It will extend to individuals too. Celebrities, politicians, and influencers of all types will be affected.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
crypto. there was this story about some organisiation (can't remember the name) banned by paypal for political reasons and then they switchted to bitcoin and made a fortune just because the price went up.
Seems like it was WikiLeaks :D

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@Kak would love to hear your thoughts on this (unless you've already covered it on the podcast). Could be a good topic. Upcoming opportunities within cancel culture, polarization, and other, potentially politically-charged, areas.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Can someone fill me in on what's happened? I tried to google "Dr. Seuss" (I don't know him) but I couldn't find much information.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
If you go in The Hidden Wiki on TOR, there are onion sites dedicated to downloading and purchasing banned books. It was more useful for non-Americans who wanted to read some of our books that were banned in their countries, but I have a feeling that those libraries will be expanded to accommodate Americans. I think we'll see more of those sites on the regular web, but you would still be under the mercy of your host if they decide to get involved.

It's jarring on a personal level that we might have to resort to that. We're so gung-ho about being free, but the moment you start going after the books, it's the beginning of the end.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Can someone fill me in on what's happened? I tried to google "Dr. Seuss" (I don't know him) but I couldn't find much information.
6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published for racist images

Half a dozen books are being pulled for 'racist' imagery. They have now ceased publication of those books and they aren't being sold online or in stores anymore. They just essentially wanted them to 'disappear' and be cancelled.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
"Cancel Culture" is just the latest iteration of Puritan hyper-moralizing terrorism. If you're interested in what might happen in the future, study a history of witch burnings.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
"Cancel Culture" is just the latest iteration of Puritan hyper-moralizing terrorism. If you're interested in what might happen in the future, study a history of witch burnings.
I'm looking for discussion of what opportunities others see arising out of cancel-culture specifically. If you have examples, please share.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I'm looking for discussion of what opportunities others see arising out of cancel-culture specifically. If you have examples, please share.

A banned book-club or banned movie club. There will be a staleness to entertainment because the cancel-culture mob will throw fits over anything and everything that can be interpreted that is offensive, which includes all interesting cultural and artistic products.

If you can create a business that generates interesting books, movies, art, whatever, you will have a very valuable business because people are going to get very bored of Netflix because they're going out of their way to be as "unoffensive" (AKA horrifically boring) as possible.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
A banned book-club or banned movie club. There will be a staleness to entertainment because the cancel-culture mob will throw fits over anything and everything that can be interpreted that is offensive, which includes all interesting cultural and artistic products.

If you can create a business that generates interesting books, movies, art, whatever, you will have a very valuable business because people are going to get very bored of Netflix because they're going out of their way to be as "unoffensive" (AKA horrifically boring) as possible.

We'll call it "Club 451"

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Those Dr. Seuss books weren't canceled by any 3rd party mob, the IP owners recognized parts weren't great so they stopped printing copies of them. Imagine if MJ or MTF was like "hey, maybe I was wrong about some parts of my book, let me pull it off the shelves because what I said wasn't correct."

Does anyone know the titles of those books? Did anyone know what they were 3 months ago? Or are opportunists rising up like the goof troops importing N95 masks a year ago?

Also, why do people act like "cancel culture" is a new thing? I very fondly remember the Harry Potter series and Pokemon/Magic cards being condemned by WASPs when I was a kid. The difference now is the ease of the spread of (mis)information.

Rant over, back to the topic at hand.

Cancel culture consulting could be $$$ though. Let us do a whole brand messaging audit and identify a bunch of ways you could be had. The problem would be the people with the most outrage in their frail bodies are anti-capitalism & the people who would be in it for the money aren't hip to the 72 genders so they'd do a shit job at it.

As far as a B2C business opportunity, it would be a grinder trying to keep up with all the changes in the news. You'd see spikes of sales for a few weeks then look for the next product. It would be cool to run 2 businesses in tandem, one for the "left" and one for "right." One for potato heads and the other for...whatever the other side's flavor of the month is.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For those in the U.S. who might consider the banned-book side-hustle, we're entering yard sale season. Now will be a good time to pick up books that sometimes have racial or other "offensive" themes that might follow Dr. Seuss in cancellation. Where's Waldo comes to mind.

I have been hodling green eggs and ham for a parabolic spike since I was 1 year old. The time has come. :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak would love to hear your thoughts on this (unless you've already covered it on the podcast). Could be a good topic. Upcoming opportunities within cancel culture, polarization, and other, potentially politically-charged, areas.

I am golfing today, but I’ll gather my thoughts!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm curious what opportunities might arise from cancel culture itself.

Better education :p

In all seriousness though - resiliency training with a focus on your locus of control.

A lot of what we're seeing today (in my opinion) is a direct result of people not being able to cope with thoughts/ideas/situations/products/etc that don't align with their values, and as a result they actively avoid and try to prevent these negative situations from occurring (thus never building up resiliency to those things) and it's exasperated by the fact that they aren't typically in a position to do anything about it (because they have an extremely external locus of control).

I think that resiliency training could be a huge online course idea. The market is certainly in need of it...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Cancel culture consulting could be $$$ though. Let us do a whole brand messaging audit and identify a bunch of ways you could be had. The problem would be the people with the most outrage in their frail bodies are anti-capitalism & the people who would be in it for the money aren't hip to the 72 genders so they'd do a shit job at it.

As far as a B2C business opportunity, it would be a grinder trying to keep up with all the changes in the news. You'd see spikes of sales for a few weeks then look for the next product. It would be cool to run 2 businesses in tandem, one for the "left" and one for "right." One for potato heads and the other for...whatever the other side's flavor of the month is.
When I was in my twenties, I didn't pay attention to politics. To me, there was no "left" or "right." I held a mix of individual views (not that my views were unique, just they weren't all or nothing). I'm slightly more aware of the political divide now, but my views are still a mixed batch. The point is, there are people who can work from different perspectives. Probably quite a few on this forum since there are a lot of younger members.

Running businesses in tandem would be interesting. I bet it could be done with some kind of paid newsletter business like @Andy Black runs. Something where people sign up for X content but the content isn't necessarily the views of the business owner.

There should be many opportunities on either side of the coin. Any business with a polarized position will probably do well, at least B2C.

Better education :p

In all seriousness though - resiliency training with a focus on your locus of control.

A lot of what we're seeing today (in my opinion) is a direct result of people not being able to cope with thoughts/ideas/situations/products/etc that don't align with their values, and as a result they actively avoid and try to prevent these negative situations from occurring (thus never building up resiliency to those things) and it's exasperated by the fact that they aren't typically in a position to do anything about it (because they have an extremely external locus of control).

I think that resiliency training could be a huge online course idea. The market is certainly in need of it...

"Resiliency training" seems like a reframe for "life coaching" haha. But I don't disagree. I think a similar solution could be applied to solve many mental health challenges (thinking Albert Ellis's, Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy). With the necessary resources to deal with *life* then there should be fewer people visiting therapists for a depression diagnosis with a side of SSRIs.

If the training is online, then it might be something that could be sold to government organizations, non-profits, churches or other businesses that would distribute it to employees, families, etc. Would probably be more money in it that way.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

People don't read. lol

Last edited:

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
If the likes of Parler/Banned.Video manage to stay alive, I suspect they will become the hub of all things marked as taboo by mainstream society. In most cases I think the Streisand effect will also occur, as it most likely has with these books.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
These "woke" companies are creating a space for competitors. Since the "Left" and "Right" are each about 50% of the population, they are risking driving away half their customers. It's hard to believe they are doing it. It's probably the best thing to happen in a while, for entrepreneurs. Any "woke" company is ripe for competition.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
These "woke" companies are creating a space for competitors. Since the "Left" and "Right" are each about 50% of the population, they are risking driving away half their customers. It's hard to believe they are doing it. It's probably the best thing to happen in a while, for entrepreneurs. Any "woke" company is ripe for competition.

Get woke, go broke

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

How about comedy? That one area of our lives that is also be censured. Doesn't anyone see how silly and juvenile this all is? It's like being back in high school. I could do a whole comedy routine comparing this cancel culture to teenager-mean-girl jokes.

When someone tries to censure me, I usually just burst out in laughter.

Or, I ask a series of "why" questions. I make them explain why what I'm saying is wrong. My theme is usually to ask who specifically I have offended? Have they ever personally shared my thought or a similar one? And how would they express it better? After a few probing questions, they usually either give up, back off or get mad. They can't explain themselves since they are usually just mouthing a talking point rather than a heartfelt standard. If they get mad, then I start the "why" questions about that reaction.*

* Note -- I learned this "why" questioning technique from my kids. And it works. It's hard to cancel someone who is following you around sincerely asking you "Why."

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

If half of your customers won't buy based on political stance, then they aren't half of your customers. They're just people with different views who don't buy from you. The whole market in this instance would be based on the half who does align with your political stance.

Different political stances seem to create opportunities for polarized businesses to rise up. I think those businesses compete against each other (within a given stance). Not sure if they compete with businesses of the opposing political stance though. The customers may have similar needs, but they are different markets.

Get woke, go broke

If you're referencing individuals, then this might be accurate. I don't think it applies in business. Roughly half of the U.S. population is riding the woke train which means businesses that make their stance known and target those people should do well.

How about comedy? That one area of our lives that is also be censured. Doesn't anyone see how silly and juvenile this all is? It's like being back in high school. I could do a whole comedy routine comparing this cancel culture to teenager-mean-girl jokes.

That's an interesting area. Joe Rogan is constantly on about comedy. It doesn't have to be stand-up necessarily as long as it gives people an opportunity to feel good and escape for a while. Comedy businesses could probably work whether they target a polarized audience or a more general audience.

The other day I was watching Good Girls on Netflix. It has a lot of woke agenda, but it also tries to balance it with ideas from other perspectives. Sometimes it's a bit in your face, but not enough to not enjoy the show (at least for me). If someone wanted to present an agenda, this seems like a better way to do it since it avoids pushing the people in the middle or on the sidelines away.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Some Potential Opportunities (Some might be U.S. specific)

- Modernized police training or consulting
- Copywriting and proofreading with a focus on managing political tone
- Polarized social media or video platforms (places for people on either side to be heard)
- Home defense consultations
- Weapons training
- Weapon procurement
- Clothing or other brands targeting polarized values (Here's an example)
- Online live/self-paced courses in self-defense/martial arts (it's hard to find in-person training with COVID)
- Assistance with PR for influencers (knowing which outlets to reach out to)
- Anti-riot protection / consultation / supplies / gear / surplus
- Grammarly (but looks for potentially racist/sexist/genderized language)
- Scientific article training (training to help people interpret the research)
- Polarized themed Air BnB
- Off-grid living training or supplies
- Moving company or relocation assistance planning
- Out-of-country relocation consulting
- Asset protection services of any kind

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
If half of your customers won't buy based on political stance, then they aren't half of your customers. They're just people with different views who don't buy from you. The whole market in this instance would be based on the half who does align with your political stance.

Different political stances seem to create opportunities for polarized businesses to rise up. I think those businesses compete against each other (within a given stance). Not sure if they compete with businesses of the opposing political stance though. The customers may have similar needs, but they are different markets.

My point was that before a company takes a political stance, they could have 100% of the market. When they take a political stance, they can drive away 50% of their existing customers to a company that has taken the opposite political stance. If the alternative company has not taken any political stance, they could gain 100% of the market.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Some Potential Opportunities (Some might be U.S. specific)

- Modernized police training or consulting
- Copywriting and proofreading with a focus on managing political tone
- Polarized social media or video platforms (places for people on either side to be heard)
- Home defense consultations
- Weapons training
- Weapon procurement
- Clothing or other brands targeting polarized values (Here's an example)
- Online live/self-paced courses in self-defense/martial arts (it's hard to find in-person training with COVID)
- Assistance with PR for influencers (knowing which outlets to reach out to)
- Anti-riot protection / consultation / supplies / gear / surplus
- Grammarly (but looks for potentially racist/sexist/genderized language)
- Scientific article training (training to help people interpret the research)
- Polarized themed Air BnB
- Off-grid living training or supplies
- Moving company or relocation assistance planning
- Out-of-country relocation consulting
- Asset protection services of any kind
Good list!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

If you're referencing individuals, then this might be accurate. I don't think it applies in business. Roughly half of the U.S. population is riding the woke train which means businesses that make their stance known and target those people should do well.

That's an interesting area. Joe Rogan is constantly on about comedy. It doesn't have to be stand-up necessarily as long as it gives people an opportunity to feel good and escape for a while. Comedy businesses could probably work whether they target a polarized audience or a more general audience.

The other day I was watching Good Girls on Netflix. It has a lot of woke agenda, but it also tries to balance it with ideas from other perspectives. Sometimes it's a bit in your face, but not enough to not enjoy the show (at least for me). If someone wanted to present an agenda, this seems like a better way to do it since it avoids pushing the people in the middle or on the sidelines away.
How about products with funny sayings -- clothes, signs, flags, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.