The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the BEST "value" you ever paid for?

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
We use those in our foster homes. Great for fried chicken, fries, corn dogs, and a hundred other things. I spray a little bit of oil spray on things that would normally get fried.....you know....just to give it some of that "fried" action.

Oh man this thing rocks!

Air Fryer, Costco for like $50 bucks...

Just to give you an example...

Let's say you're in the mood for some Crinkle Cut fries...

Normal MO...

Preheat Oven 400 ... 10 minutes
Bake Fries 32 minutes
Total time: 42 minutes and the fries aren't even that good...

With the AirFryer...

It's 6 minutes and that's it -- and they taste 10X better than oven-baked BS!

This thing is going to make me gain weight! Too convenient!

4YVdpOxk_L.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
OMG are you a victim of oppression? Which Indian tribe are you 1/600th?

I know I didn’t even realize how oppressed I was until I took my test.. But it doesn’t mater anyway because I identify as a male spotted gecko and demand male spotted gecko bathrooms complete with plenty of flies and camouflage from predators

On a serious note, I took the 23and me test for health reasons. You can tell a lot about how your personality, Biology.. how to optimize your diet to your genes, what deficiencies to look out for.

For instance my body has a tougher time metabolizing vitamin B6, so I have to take extra. That’s just one of like 100 things I learned, and I didn’t even delve 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Hey guys I wanted to bring this thread back to life, since christmas time is coming soon too haha:

Any new thing/experience you have bought?

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
A pair of swimming goggles I bought them when I was 11 for about 10$ and they lasted 15 years then they started leaking.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
Best thing I've bought would be a rowing machine made in USA by Concept2. It is great because you can do all cardio, strength, or long fat burning workouts. Every few months they do online challenges where you can compete against teams or individuals so it gets you motivated. Best $ 950 I've spent that I use a lot. Also, unlike the treadmill that depreciates VERY quickly the Concept row machines do not. Buy one for $ 950 new then you can sell it in few years for $650-$750. It is all mechanical with the exception of the computer which is replaceable.
black_profile.jpg

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Amazing Amazing Amazing Big 5 Personality test

Best 10 bucks I ever spent.

Understand Myself - What You Need to Know

Especially useful when used in conjunction with Jordan Peterson’s class “Personality and it’s Transformations.” He goes over the personality traits that separates the successful from the unsuccessful, and what you can do to improve them.

I highly suggest starting with the second half of the class, which is the part that’s most relevant to the Big 5. It's scientific/statistical portion of the class, whereas the first half is more philosophical.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCceO_D4AlY&index=12&list=PL22J3VaeABQApSdW8X71Ihe34eKN6XhCi

It’s always been my philosophy that who you are is more important than any technique. In other words, if you work on the personality traits that lead to success, success will automatically come to you, and Dr Peterson’s work very much caters to that way of thinking.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
In other words, if you work on the personality traits that lead to success, success will automatically come to you

How are you defining ‘success’ as in your life?

One can achieve ‘success’ in many areas/practices of life.
The definition you give to what success means for you and the area of success you are pursuing at the moment will impact the personality traits you would be looking for.

Also, just curious as to the statistical significance of how those personality traits correlate to ‘success’, in the way the Dr you mentioned is defining it as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
How are you defining ‘success’ as in your life?

One can achieve ‘success’ in many areas/practices of life.
income / socioeconomic status

Required

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Aug 13, 2018
Estonia
Great thread here as to see what everyone has found to be good value for them.

I am going to start out with a foam roller, using it after every leg day and also great for the back and neck which I have found to be problematic spots.

The gym I visit just built a sauna so I have using that after every workout. Great way to clean yourself of toxins and you feel amazing, relaxed after a session.

Philips family hair clipper. Have been using it for a few years now, convenient and not needing to go to a hairdresser that often.

Bought tickets to a biggest technology and business festival in Baltics for 20 moneys, so that's as good as free.

Also can not ignore TMF and Unscripted which lead me here, so forever grateful for that.

These are some I could bring out now, there are definately some more but these came to mind.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Best thing I've bought would be a rowing machine made in USA by Concept2. It is great because you can do all cardio, strength, or long fat burning workouts.

Ha! I use the exact same one at the gym as a 15 min warm up 5-6 days a week. Fantastic bit of kit and the best rowing machine I've ever used.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Oh man this thing rocks!

Air Fryer, Costco for like $50 bucks...

Just to give you an example...

Let's say you're in the mood for some Crinkle Cut fries...

Normal MO...

Preheat Oven 400 ... 10 minutes
Bake Fries 32 minutes
Total time: 42 minutes and the fries aren't even that good...

With the AirFryer...

It's 6 minutes and that's it -- and they taste 10X better than oven-baked BS!

This thing is going to make me gain weight! Too convenient!

4YVdpOxk_L.png
Dang, this thing is freaking awesome! It makes veggies taste way better than steaming them in the microwave. (Still figuring out the right timing and temperatures) IMG_20181118_100624763_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Dang, this thing is freaking awesome! It makes veggies taste way better than steaming them in the microwave. (Still figuring out the right timing and temperatures)

Yup, we "fry" all kinds of veggies, even the Brussel Sprouts taste damn well. Season and fry away!

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Ha! I use the exact same one at the gym as a 15 min warm up 5-6 days a week. Fantastic bit of kit and the best rowing machine I've ever used.

@RazorCut, @struka

Any chance any one has used a WaterRower? I love the tension and sound of the water as speed increases (plus can easily raise it vertically to take up minimal space) but not sure how it might compare to the Concept2!

SamuraiRod

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Oct 29, 2018
YouTube Premium would be mine

I get the benefits of podcasts + audiobooks + music streaming + no ads for $12 per month. Literally stopped using audible, Shopify, and podcasting apps because of YouTube haha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ganglion

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 21, 2018
United Kingdom
I spent a long time living with my parents, just so I could save money to spend on my business.

But it was toxic as hell in there.

The best money I ever spent and continue to spend, is the rent I pay to live in my OWN flat. It gives me peace of mind.

The other thing is my macbook pro, on which I run my business :p

civilpro

Contributor
Nov 20, 2018
Denver, CO
The best value I bought was a college degree and experience in civil engineering. My current client has a net worth of well over $100 million, and developed thousands of housing units. My dream is to become a developer. The 2nd best value was finding good mentors in my 20s (i'm in late 30s now). My 3rd best value was in abandoning social skills/personality in pursuit of competence, work ethic, and most importantly good habits. Slow laners LOVE small talk and I'm about a decade ahead of everyone I work with because small talk is part of the "office" culture that mainstream media has force-fed everyone.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The best value I bought was a college degree and experience in civil engineering. My current client has a net worth of well over $100 million, and developed thousands of housing units. My dream is to become a developer. The 2nd best value was finding good mentors in my 20s (i'm in late 30s now). My 3rd best value was in abandoning social skills/personality in pursuit of competence, work ethic, and most importantly good habits. Slow laners LOVE small talk and I'm about a decade ahead of everyone I work with because small talk is part of the "office" culture that mainstream media has force-fed everyone.

Strong work, for both the results and for getting a degree that actually matters. A civil engineer is even "Apocalypse worthy" -- if shit hits the fan, no one is going to need a lawyer, an accountant, or a baseball player.

FinTech

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 14, 2018
Didn't see this one but maybe was somewhere. Apple Airpods! They recharge completely in 15mins and last over 5hours. Podcast and books anytime. If you don't care about looking stupid. Best thing I've bought in 5+yrs.

I have also washed them in the washing machine by mistake and still work great.

Honorable Mention. iLife robot for 150$. Does a way better job vacuuming than I would have thought and goes under everything. Having a dog this has been a life/marriage saver.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
@RazorCut, @struka

Any chance any one has used a WaterRower? I love the tension and sound of the water as speed increases (plus can easily raise it vertically to take up minimal space) but not sure how it might compare to the Concept2!
I never have. I couldn't find anyone who had one so I couldn't try it before I bought it. The concept 2 was at the gym I attended so it was easy for me to try. I've heard great reviews on the WaterRower but not from my experience. Main reason I picked Concept2 was that I knew if I wanted to sell it, someone would buy it quickly since it is used not just by rowers but by Crossfitters. Other reasons were that I liked their computer (PM5) and how it is used with the SkiErg and Bike with an app AND it was a little cheaper.
Just an FYI, you can stand up the Concept2 rower as well.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Not heard of that so just googled it. Looks awesome. The Concept 2 is a bit big and bulky and I don't think you can store it upright. Very smooth action though.

Will keep an eye out for the WaterRower, I wouldn't mind having a go.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Thanks for your thoughts guys!

The resale would be a great benefit, but in this case I fall more into the group of loving this one so much that I plan to use it until mechanical failure and then upgrade or purchase again. I don't use the computer or apps besides just tracking stats for each row, but I am also completely old fashioned!

As for the design, it is pretty sleek. Honestly, as I only stand about 60 inches tall and not a bodybuilder this version is still really easy for me to move around.

I can also read off of a screen or kindle while on it and not breaking speed records :) heh.

Any other home gym products you would add to this thread? Kettlebells and WaterRower are mine at the moment!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Just an FYI, you can stand up the Concept2 rower as well.

Good to know.

I was going to add my favourite buy on here which was a pair of Meindl Borneo Pro hiking boots which I must have had for at least 12 years now. Unfortunately went for a 3 1/2 mile walk through the forest yesterday and found the base tread has split in two.
:jawdrop:

Hopefully will be able to get them repaired as they are like walking in slippers. Wonderful bit of kit.

-

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
Thanks for your thoughts guys!

The resale would be a great benefit, but in this case I fall more into the group of loving this one so much that I plan to use it until mechanical failure and then upgrade or purchase again. I don't use the computer or apps besides just tracking stats for each row, but I am also completely old fashioned!

As for the design, it is pretty sleek. Honestly, as I only stand about 60 inches tall and not a bodybuilder this version is still really easy for me to move around.

I can also read off of a screen or kindle while on it and not breaking speed records :) heh.

Any other home gym products you would add to this thread? Kettlebells and WaterRower are mine at the moment!

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the Concept2. All spare parts available for all of their models (I had the Model B from 1984). The computer isn't really needed but to measure your rowing stats, technically you can row without it (all mechanical). If your computer goes bad, you can replace it for about $150. It also comes apart to two pieces so people move it around. I actually have it at my work and when it is nice outside I roll it out (has wheels) in one piece and row outside in the parking lot. Depending on the workout, I typically listen to Audible audiobooks when I row.

Regarding other home products, it really depends what you want to do. A kettlebell is nice because it is versatile but I rarely use mine since I have a full rack with barbell and weights. They don't take much space but over time you will need to buy more pairs.

I think if i was limited to a space I would get kettlebells, pull up bar, gymnastic rings or TRX system.
I used to have the pull up bar in the door frame but it never worked on my doors so went with the new Rogue Pull Up bar. I have it mounted in my walk-in closet so every time I get in and out I have to do 5-10 pull ups.

Rogue Jammer Pull-up Bar

I think in the end, it all depends what will get you motivated to workout at your house. For me it wasn't kettlebell and pull up bar but a full squat rack and weights with other gym pieces. I built my own gym after my local gym closed down and we had our first child, saves me lots of time so I can workout before anyone gets up in the house. Basically convenience.

Having a home gym is nice but if it becomes a clothes rack like most treadmill do then there isn't a point in getting anything and just go to your local gym.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyone got any new goodies to report from Christmas?

I got this little doozy...

IMG_0569.JPG

...probably didn't cost too much, but it works wonders on a stiff neck, especially if you sit a lot, practice piano, etc.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Anyone got any new goodies to report from Christmas?

I got this little doozy...

View attachment 23007

...probably didn't cost too much, but it works wonders on a stiff neck, especially if you sit a lot, practice piano, etc.
Haha, I got one of those for my wife recently. It was maybe $25 but she likes it ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Kindle reader ... don't remember, was it $70-90 a few years ago ... brought me gems like MJ's books, Slight Edge book and countless others mind changing, questions answering books ... been reading every day for more than a year now, averaging 30 books/year since I got it ... public transport became much more enjoyable :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.