The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Almost finished "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway

Nearly done, listening via Audible.

I read a lot of fiction, or in this case, listen. This one is keeping me awake at night and giving me nightmares. Not a lot of stuff does that, so, it gets reported here. ;-)

Ah I like the sound of that I'll add it to my list, I've read a few of the Alex Cross novels by Patterson.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
Currently reading both DotComSecrets & Expert Secrets by Russell Brunson.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I’m reading The Chimp Paradox. I think it has already been reviewed by many of the forum members. I feel like I found it at the perfect time. I’ve noticed that I’ve been very irritable these past several months and this book addresses that. I’ve really enjoyed it.

Description

Your inner Chimp can be your best friend or your worst enemy...this is the Chimp Paradox

Do you sabotage your own happiness and success? Are you struggling to make sense of yourself? Do your emotions sometimes dictate your life?

Dr. Steve Peters explains that we all have a being within our minds that can wreak havoc on every aspect of our lives—be it business or personal. He calls this being "the chimp," and it can work either for you or against you. The challenge comes when we try to tame the chimp, and persuade it to do our bidding.

The Chimp Paradox contains an incredibly powerful mind management model that can help you be happier and healthier, increase your confidence, and become a more successful person. This book will help you to:

—Recognize how your mind is working
—Understand and manage your emotions and thoughts
—Manage yourself and become the person you would like to be

Dr. Peters explains the struggle that takes place within your mind and then shows you how to apply this understanding. Once you're armed with this new knowledge, you will be able to utilize your chimp for good, rather than letting your chimp run rampant with its own agenda

I’ve also started Dr. Christopher Ryan’s latest book Civilized to death. It’s a fun read if you’d like another take on what the world considers “civilized.” If you’re a fan of Dr. Ryan’s you’re probably familiar with his message.

Here’s the description.

The New York Times bestselling coauthor of Sex at Dawn explores the ways in which “progress” has perverted the way we live: how we eat, learn, feel, mate, parent, communicate, work, and die.

Most of us have instinctive evidence the world is ending—balmy December days, face-to-face conversation replaced with heads-to-screens zomboidism, a world at constant war, a political system in disarray. We hear some myths and lies so frequently that they feel like truths: Civilization is humankind’s greatest accomplishment. Progress is undeniable. Count your blessings. You’re lucky to be alive here and now. Well, maybe we are and maybe we aren’t. Civilized to Death counters the idea that progress is inherently good, arguing that the “progress” defining our age is analogous to an advancing disease.

Prehistoric life, of course, was not without serious dangers and disadvantages. Many babies died in infancy. A broken bone, infected wound, snakebite, or difficult pregnancy could be life-threatening. But ultimately, Ryan argues, were these pre-civilized dangers more murderous than modern scourges, such as car accidents, cancers, cardiovascular disease, and a technologically prolonged dying process? At a time when our ecology, our society, and our own sense of selves feels increasingly imperiled, an accurate understanding of our species’ long prelude to civilization is vital to a clear sense of the ultimate value of civilization—and its costs. In Civilized to Death, Ryan makes the claim that we should start looking backwards to find our way into a better future.

OUTSTANDING book!

One of three that changed my life along with Mindset by Carol Dweck and Shoe Dog by Phil Knight.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Nearly done, listening via Audible.

I read a lot of fiction, or in this case, listen. This one is keeping me awake at night and giving me nightmares. Not a lot of stuff does that, so, it gets reported here. ;-)
I have read his first dozen or so books and have heard that he gives the other author something like a 20 page plot synopsis to write the novel. Win win as his name sells bigly and the other guy becomes well known by association. Smart man. All of his first dozen or so books had me absolutely riveted.

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
OUTSTANDING book!

One of three that changed my life along with Mindset by Carol Dweck and Shoe Dog by Phil Knight.

I will definitely check those out.

Since reading the chimp paradox I have noticed that I am better at catching myself before I get too irritated.

I’ll think to myself, “That’s your chimp brain,” when I feel some anger flaring up.

It’s a book that I will read many more times.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
  • The Good War by Studs Terkel
  • Straight-Line Leadership by Dusan Djukovich: recommended by @snowbank; if you like MF CEO, you'll like this

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have read his first dozen or so books and have heard that he gives the other author something like a 20 page plot synopsis to write the novel. Win win as his name sells bigly and the other guy becomes well known by association. Smart man. All of his first dozen or so books had me absolutely riveted.

So this book is mostly Ellis? Because I've read a lot of Patterson and find them just above average. This particular book was a bit better than I expected.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
So this book is mostly Ellis? Because I've read a lot of Patterson and find them just above average. This particular book was a bit better than I expected.
Yes maybe keep an eye on Ellis.
What's your thoughts on Jeffery Deaver?
Just to keep on track here, I am reading This is Marketing by Seth Godin.

Last edited:

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
I am reading this book now: "Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries"
I think this is something that I came to myself. Small bets is the approach to solve the biggest problem in startups which is launching a business that doesn't generate any interest.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
“Timeline” by Michael Crichton

It’s science fiction, for now.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?

ChrisV great initiative to share resources. What i would like to hear more is not whst this book is about (which i can tead on Amazon) but your own review. What you liked or disliked, what main points you took this way i think we would get more value.

Insidious

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 3, 2019
Asheville, NC
From the last month or so, to now (no particular order):

Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer
Wow! If you're interested in the history of central Africa, wonder who this Stanley guy was, or just want a reminder of how easy your life is, read this book. Goggins? Peh, a baby compared to Stanley. ;-p I especially enjoyed the history of the Brazzaville/Kinshasa area, as I lived there for a couple of years, but didn't fully understand how the French/Belgian rivalry split Stanley Pool.

The Winner Effect: The Neuroscience of Success & Failure
A mixed bag of a book. The science is great. Winning makes structural changes to your brain making it more effective at utilizing testosterone. Testosterone allows for 'better' focus and more single-minded pursuit of goals. Of course, this can reach a point where you can't see the forest for the TREE, or actually the bug, crawling on the knot, on the one tree in front of you. But if you reach that point, you've been 'winning' A LOT for a really long time (think Stalin). Downside is the author likes narrative tangents, A LOT, as in 3 or 4 before finishing his original point. I think he was doing this to make the book more 'exciting', but personally I found it distracting and hard to wade thru.

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos & The Age of Amazon
This is one that's hard to review, particularly in this forum. On the plus side, you get the history of Amazon, many details of which I'd forgotten (I'm old, my account was made when they just sold books). There's the usual startup info (do whatever it takes to get the business going) and there's some 'how Amazon is a big meany' stuff from the author (the same sort of stuff people complain about with Microsoft & Walmart). If you're looking for 'how I can get rich like Bezos', I don't think there's anything here for you. Think of this as 'The History of Amazon, with a few Jeff Bezos anecdotes', if you're interested in the companies history, spend the time, otherwise I'd pass.

Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War That Changed American History
If you're interested in this subject, I wouldn't recommend this book. Instead read Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. I'm not sure how I ended up with both, but Six Frigates was the superior history. This book does cover more of the detail of the land assault of Tripoli, which was glossed over in Six Frigates (Navy doesn't like to give the Marine Corps their due). =)

Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
This was by far my 'book of the year' (out of the 70 non-fiction I read). It's so good, and so powerful, that my inner miser wants to hide it, so no one else can have its precious precious knowledge.

Seriously, get this book.

I bought it when the author was making his promotional tour, and somehow completely forgot about it until a couple of months ago.

Why do you need this book? Life is negotiation. And the author (and his team) spent years developing and perfecting negotiation thru trial and error. This isn't ivy tower negotiation theory, this is here's what works. Think PUA info vs. what a Christian youth pastor would tell you about women & relationships.

BUY THIS BOOK...and then PRACTICE IT.

The Geography of Bliss
A nice read that made me want to visit, and perhaps live for a while, in Iceland. =) Author is great writer, and his thoughts on the cultures he visited were interesting. Those of you who are traveling about already have some sense of what he's talking about. Of finding 'your place', wherever it might be in the world. Light reading with some powerful quotes, and some ideas to ponder.

My Early Life
A early autobiography of Winston Churchill. Can you imagine Churchill as a boy? Or as a Cavalry officer leading a charge against a mass of Egyptians? Or escaping from the Afrikaners and sneaking to safety aboard a cargo train?

It's in there.

Some fun stuff, for instance, here's a quote from his school boy days:

Mmm mmm, boarding school! There are some hints to the source of Churchill's mastery of language, and quite a bit about the difference in the way war was viewed by the English aristocracy prior to WWI ('war is fun' - the finest champagne & caviar between battles). The cavalry training was pretty rigorous as well, and the interesting part for me was that as an officer, you had to buy your horses out of your own pocket. Here's a quote about the training:

Aku-Aku
Expected more of this book, as the author is Thor Heyerdahl of Kon-Tiki fame (a fantastic book). If you're interested in the 'mystery' of Easter Island, read this. But only if you're willing to let go of the idea that it was ALIENS! =)

Why You're Dumb, Sick & Broke
A re-read of something from years ago. Still solid. All about mindset & memes. Introduced me to Rand & Libertarian thought. A quick read.

Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition, and Accelerate Your Career
So...buy this book. And apply it's contents. At the moment, it's $2.99 for the Kindle version.

It's about 'mastering hard skills'.

That's it. What more do you need? If you're in this forum, and you're not just an action-faker or wantrepreneur...guess what, you need to master hard skills. Part of mastering them is identifying them, this book helps with that too. Buy the book. Now.

Probably enough for now. =)

tldr;
Go buy Never Split The Difference & Ultralearning. NOW! Read & apply daily.

Last edited:

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Circle of Greed.

The story of the Attorney that changed the landscape regarding class actions and consumers rights in America and all over the world.

Good read so far.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Talking with my bank right now to open the Profit account!

How did it change your business?

I should note that I think having that many accounts is insane if you have any kind of discipline. I use an online aggregator and just keep my 'accounts' in special envelopes within it. I know that's not the advice the author gives, but that's the way I'm doing it, and it's working for me. That said, I've been using the aggregator for personal and business budgeting for close to a decade, and the same method by manual means for almost 40 years. I'm very disciplined with which buckets of money can be used for which purposes. In fact, I have published a little ebook about the method and how to set it up on Amazon.

What the book did was remind me of The Richest Man in Babylon, "A portion of all you earn is yours to keep." Rather than plowing back every last penny into my (so far very small) business, I now take owner compensation and profit first. It required me to get lean in my business spending, let go of expensive SAAS that wasn't serving me and find other solutions. And it showed me that I was just playing at a level that was going to keep me chained to my computer forever. As a result, I re-ordered my offers in a progression and added a high-end experience offer at the end of it, one that people may very well purchase over and over again once they've had the experience.

I don't know why this particular book hit me more than any of the other hundred or more books about business I've read, but it did. I hope following it does the same for you!

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I should note that I think having that many accounts is insane if you have any kind of discipline. I use an online aggregator and just keep my 'accounts' in special envelopes within it. I know that's not the advice the author gives, but that's the way I'm doing it, and it's working for me. That said, I've been using the aggregator for personal and business budgeting for close to a decade, and the same method by manual means for almost 40 years. I'm very disciplined with which buckets of money can be used for which purposes. In fact, I have published a little ebook about the method and how to set it up on Amazon.

What the book did was remind me of The Richest Man in Babylon, "A portion of all you earn is yours to keep." Rather than plowing back every last penny into my (so far very small) business, I now take owner compensation and profit first. It required me to get lean in my business spending, let go of expensive SAAS that wasn't serving me and find other solutions. And it showed me that I was just playing at a level that was going to keep me chained to my computer forever. As a result, I re-ordered my offers in a progression and added a high-end experience offer at the end of it, one that people may very well purchase over and over again once they've had the experience.

I don't know why this particular book hit me more than any of the other hundred or more books about business I've read, but it did. I hope following it does the same for you!

That’s great, can’t look forward to getting deeper into the book.

I’m also searching for an alternative to opening multiple accounts, and YNAB is an option I’m considering. There are videos of how to combine Profit First + YNAB.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I’m also searching for an alternative to opening multiple accounts, and YNAB is an option I’m considering. There are videos of how to combine Profit First + YNAB.
I use mVelopes to budget, which from what I recall of YNAB is a similar product. But for the first 20+ years, I used a spreadsheet - first one of those huge green paper ones and a calculator half the size of a typewriter, and then when desktop computers came along (yes, I'm THAT old!), any electronic spreadsheet. :rofl: Trust me, it has gotten a LOT easier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.