The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
P.S. -- If anyone can recommend a book on how an introvert can learn to be more extroverted, let me know.

Just reading about it isn't really going to do much. You need to go out and "take action" and experience becoming extroverted by practicing. The best thing that i've seen lots of people do is take a sales job for a week/month/few days. After being forced to talk to people from all walks of life and going through rejection you'll forget you were even an introvert. Also just knowing you have no time to waste living inside your head because you have work to do is a good way to stop being so inward and start focusing outward which is what extroverts focus their attention on.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
thanks Era...I am also an introvert...I do enjoy engaging with others especially for networking and Sales...only thing is the energy drain afterwards.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
thanks Era...I am also an introvert...I do enjoy engaging with others especially for networking and Sales...only thing is the energy drain afterwards.
That's the only real difference between extrovert and introvert, both are great at communicating and meeting people. We just get tired of it faster. That's why we start avoiding it a bit, and that's why it then feeds into bullshit myth of introverts being shy... no we're just protecting energy.

Reading book like Introvert Advantage is good, because it will help find better balance for this.

wwstewart

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 4, 2014
College Station, Texas
I'm currently reading Crush It and The Millionaire Messenger among other things. I can never actually focus on one book long enough to get all the way through it before switching to another book.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MrShah

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 10, 2014
The Millionaire Entrepreneur- Siddarth Sharma (Recommended)
Discover the Diamond in you- Arindam Chaudhuri
What to say when you talk to yourself - Shad Helmstetter
Inside steve's brain- Leander kahney( Excellent read)

Franky Neizer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 18, 2014
Accra
Currently reading The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life. About the life of the great Warren Buffet (personal life, childhood, family, business). Haven't completed it though but it's been really helpful.

DuPont

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2011
The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles. I just re-read Outwitting the Devil by Napoleon Hill. A great read.

Love the book "The Science of Getting Rich" currently have the audio version playing in my car...as always Stay Creative!!!

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Just completed Jonah Bergers Contagious: How things Catch on...offline I am finishing the Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World, Michael Wheeler, Harvard Business School. And on my phone I am reading the 7 Habits of Highly Effective people...I found Jonah Bergers Contagious to have some very useful and practical information for fastlaners to use for their product or service.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Great point @Esquire! lol but I just always look at self-improvement and apply what I am learning as I read then simply read..therefore it takes me longer than normal...I usually spend idle time reading like on the subway...ACTION is all that counts in the end

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
There comes a time when you need to stop reading and start doing.

In my experience most people blow past this point by at least a few months... often a few years.

Many times reading becomes a form of procrastination and/or mental masturbation.

The roadside is littered with people who have read all the books and still haven't launched their first business. You fill yourself with so much information you can't even remember it all let alone put it into some kind of order to take action on.

A few concepts that have proven useful for myself and a few people I've shared them with:

1. Just in time reading. That means reading only what you are going to implement right now.

2. 10x production vs consumption. If you read for an hour you should spend 10 hours implementing what you learned.

3. The $10,000 book. Many of the $10,000 seminars you see are little more than the creators original book expanded and explained. Save yourself the $10k and treat the book like you spent $10k on it. Rather than blasting through it in order to get to the next book why not slow down and take action on all the core points?

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Nothing.

There comes a time when you need to stop reading and start doing.

I'm there.

You're probably not...why are you're posting it instead of doing it?

Sure reading can become mental masturbation, but just-in-time learning is still crucial and is an investment in your biz so it IS 'doing', first part of it.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
My current 'Miracle Morning' read is The One Thing. The Millionaire Messenger is on deck.

I just finished Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar and Vision to Reality.

Neeraj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jun 30, 2014
The Lean Startup by Eric Ries.

The book did a good job of introducing certain concepts such as MVP and concepts from Lean Manufacturing. Most of the examples covered in the book are from the software/web startup scene. The book does not intend to give answers to any critical questions that startups face, just tools they can use.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
My current 'Miracle Morning' read is The One Thing. The Millionaire Messenger is on deck.

Reading The One Thing myself. And its what frustrates me about many books in general. I feel like less then half way through I get the points hes trying to make. Now I know I have another half a book just to read the same things said a different way. Maybe this book wont end up being that way, but many are. Authors should feel a need to fill a certain amount of pages. If you can clearly and efficiently make your point in 100 pages thats great. Too much filler in most books I guess is all im saying......

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

How's Miracle Morning? :)

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
You don't need to become more extroverted, just to use introversion better.

Agree!

Just reading about it isn't really going to do much. You need to go out and "take action" and experience becoming extroverted by practicing. The best thing that i've seen lots of people do is take a sales job for a week/month/few days. After being forced to talk to people from all walks of life and going through rejection you'll forget you were even an introvert. Also just knowing you have no time to waste living inside your head because you have work to do is a good way to stop being so inward and start focusing outward which is what extroverts focus their attention on.

@Era you bring up good points. I would add that an introvert can become less introverted, however they will still have introverted tendencies because, well that is who they are. Learning to engage others instead of just listening to others engage is something introverts need to work on. I'm with you, learning to be a salesman is good for forcing introverts to engage and will improve the personal engagement also. Also learning to do public speaking is challenging but extremely beneficial.

As an introvert, the inward thoughts are partly where your strength lies and learning to balance it with engaging conversations strengthens your ability to reach your goals. Introverts have different strengths than extroverts and learning how to leverage them can be life changing.

As for a book I'm reading, Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.

Dynacti

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 21, 2013
I just picked up 'Think and Grow' Rich by Napoleon Hill today so plan to start reading maybe later tonight.

TommyG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Dec 9, 2013
I'm reading The Sovereign Individual - William Rees-Mogg, James Davidson

Written 15 years ago, it's a speculative yet intriguing gaze into the 21st Century by two financiers. They take a 'big history' line which they combine with an analysis of technology trends to argue that we are living through one of, perhaps the, most pivotal time in man's history. Information technologies will liberate individuals and deal a fatal blow to the nation state, which will see it's tax happy powers decline as states devolve into smaller territories competing with one another for citizens. Although the death of the omnipotent nation state will be a rough, potentially cataclysmic ride, the future should see more opportunity and individual liberty than ever before. I'd definitely recommend giving this a read. Even if you are not a hard-line libertarian (the authors are), the book contains some fascinating historical analysis, although I feel it's thesis is flawed in several ways.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
I'm currently reading

E-Myth
How to be rich - Paul Getty
Beyond Entrepreneurship - Jim Collins
The Answer - John Assaraf
How to pass exams - Dominic O Brien

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
I'm currently reading

E-Myth
How to be rich - Paul Getty
Beyond Entrepreneurship - Jim Collins
The Answer - John Assaraf
How to pass exams - Dominic O Brien

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Demographic Cliff by Harry Dent
This also revealed that in the US 10,000 people a DAY are turning 65 and 4,000 people a DAY are turning 85

This creates huge opportunities but will further cripple the US government I think

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.