The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'm currently doing the challenges in the ebook 30 Days of Discipline by Victor Pride, owner of Bold&Determined website. Basically its a 30 day challenge to complete building 12 powerful habits of successful men. If you want to build solid habits to become a winner in life, this ebook is a must read for you.

How did it go for you? I have the eBook too and have been reading Vic's blog for a long time now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mattandshana

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 20, 2014
Virginia
I've got a stack of books by my bed that I'm working through:
Awaken the Giant Within - Tony Robbins (read it before, but recently started reading it again).

An Introduction to Psychology (can't remember by whom, but its the university type handbooks, so it often succeeds in putting me asleep - the theory bits that is).

How life imitates chess - Gary Kasparov (I'm about halfway through this one - was wondering how to become great in chess/life, and this book seemed like a fit).

Successfull Interpersonal Communication - Another handbook (still to start reading it).

How to have kick-a$$ ideas - Chris Barez-Brown. (I'm about 75% through this book, and so far I think it is a great book. It has great exercises, lots of pictures/drawing that makes it an easy read, and is immensely useful in coming up with creative ideas to make the most of your opportunities (a rephrase from 'problems' :)).

Your idea can make you rich - Its from the guys who run the Dragon's Den. So far I'm not really impressed as it feels like the 'same-old' entrepreneur advice in a million other books, but I'm not done reading it completely yet, so I might still change my opinion.

The Complete Guide to Flipping Properties - Steve Burgess (I'm still to start reading this one though - I bought it thinking it would be specific to the UK market, but it isnt, so I'll read it further into the future).

Thats it for my currently reading/unread stack next to my bed.

What are you reading?
We have a few books that we are working our way through:

Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill (about 4 chapters in... I (Matt) have read it before but, it's really a good book on wealth mindset strategies)

The Millionaire Fastlane - Yes... we are actually reading it! We are in Chapter 15... love the "in your face" feel of the writing and, so far, the information is awesome!

There are a couple of others but, as we haven't really started going through them, we will keep those "on the shelf" for now.

Matt & Shana

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I finished what I was reading before so now I am going to finally completely read this book with the long (but great) title:

"CA$HVERTISING: How to Use More than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make Big Money Selling Anything to Anyone"
by Drew Eric Whitman / Dr. Direct! TM

I just learned that he has an upcoming new book and I will buy it.

theproducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 10, 2011
Seattle
I tend to like reading books by self made millionaires. one that was an easy read was
Anything you want by Derek Sivers Creator of cdbaby.com
Short and sweet (only 38Pages) :), this guy is a real smooth dolphin.

theproducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 10, 2011
Seattle
and for those lazy ppl out there...here are my notes on the book
Anything you want.

Is All About Helping People

Never forget that absolutely everything you do is for your customers.

Make every decision—even decisions about whether to expand the business, raise money, or promote someone—according to what's best for your customers.

It's counterintuitive, but the way to grow your business is to focus entirely on your existing customers. Just thrill them, and they'll tell everyone.

So please don't think you need a huge vision. Just stay focused on helping people today.

What huge group of people can I help?

That's the Tao of business: Care about your customers more than about yourself, and you'll do well.

If you set up your business like you don't need the money, people are happier to pay you.

It's another Tao of business: Set up your business like you don't need the money, and it'll likely come your way.

Being self-employed feels like freedom until you realize that if you take time off, your business crumbles.

To be a true business owner, make sure you could leave for a year, and when you came back, your business would be doing better than when you left.

I learned a hard lesson in hindsight:
Trust, but verify.
Remember it when delegating. You have to do both. hope this help.

ProweJosh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 10, 2014
Started reading CA$HVERTISING by Drew Eric Whitman and The Lean Startup by Eric Ries

Going to re read The New Psycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz after that, I've started it but end up stopping half way to read another book.

Fulmen Gladius

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 19, 2014
Philippines
How did it go for you? I have the eBook too and have been reading Vic's blog for a long time now.
I'm sruggling with habits 4 and 5. :) The 12th habit is not applicable for me because I still work even in Sundays. How about you? Were you successful in developing the 12 habits?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Just finished TMF about 2 weeks ago and now onto Contagious: Why Things Catch On [Jonah Berger] I still have to go back and re-read TMF and take notes and make post it notes etc to stick on my wall.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'm sruggling with habits 4 and 5. The 12th habit is not applicable for me because I still work even in Sundays. How about you? Were you successful in developing the 12 habits?

I hear you man, #4 is a huge trend on the internet. I need to work on that still lol! :joyful: My new goal = going the whole summer break for that habit starting on June 1st. For #5 I have a different work out program now.

It's been a while since I did 30DoD and as of now I'm not doing most of the things in it, so no I didn't develop them all as habits :facepalm:

I am still waking up earlier than I was before, I don't keep a physical notepad and pen with me anymore but I have a phone app that replaces it, I still have a to-do list but this time with an app too, and like you I don't have a lazy Sunday.

Developing habits is hard and takes time. I think only a few changes can be done at a time otherwise it's too draining. 30DoD is like total immersion for 30 days and then at the end you just feel like resting since it uses so much willpower.

I tried some other processes but they didn't all stick either. Only a few did. I think it's better to focus on 1-2 habits and then keep building from there.

June 1st I will start another 30+ day challenge and I bet it will stick even though it's more than 1-2 habits.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I am looking to read some new books as well.. I have read pretty much all the Robert Kioyaski Books and Joel Osteen, Also the Power on the Now was pretty good as well.. Anyone have any recommendations on anything new to read? I am looking for books on positivity more so as they really do help to set your mood and I always am at my best when i am reading them I feel like

Thanks for any help

Read Psychocybernetics by M.Maltz.

Problem with reading positivity books is that it's not real positivity, just short shot of of it. On the other hand that book really works on what matters.

Also, Million Dollar Habits by Robert Ringer are great too. Superb advice in line with MJs philosophy..

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I read "The Flinch" by Julie Smith - great but short book. I need to read it multiple times.

Right now I'm reading "Lifehacked" by Allen Wong (the App Millionaire guy) - good book, some great content but somehow not completely on my style maybe. It's like an autobiography book which are not my preferred type of books. But in every book you will find some gems and there are certainly some cool concepts in this one too.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Read Psychocybernetics by M.Maltz.

Problem with reading positivity books is that it's not real positivity, just short shot of of it. On the other hand that book really works on what matters.

Also, Million Dollar Habits by Robert Ringer are great too. Superb advice in line with MJs philosophy..

Beat me to it.

Nice yeah, the thing I like about the positive books is just how you feel afterwards. Reading them and applying with they tell you really does change a lot. I will look into the Psychocybernetics actually looks interesting am looking now

Psycho Cybernetics is the book you should be reading next. It is the only positive/self-help book that had a tangible effect on my outlook.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Nice yeah, the thing I like about the positive books is just how you feel afterwards. Reading them and applying with they tell you really does change a lot. I will look into the Psychocybernetics actually looks interesting am looking now

Have you read The Miracle Morning?

I'm currently reading Vision to Reality, Thick Face Black Heart, and The One Thing.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Have you read The Miracle Morning?

I'm currently reading Vision to Reality, Thick Face Black Heart, and The One Thing.

How's Thick Face Black Heart?

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
How's Thick Face Black Heart?

It took a while to get into. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book, starting to like it more now, but it'll need a re-read. Very strong on religion/God talk, if that isn't your thing, it can make it hard for you to get through at first.

Has some valuable nuggets in it, for sure, I can see why it comes highly recommended.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
It took a while to get into. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book, starting to like it more now, but it'll need a re-read. Very strong on religion/God talk, if that isn't your thing, it can make it hard for you to get through at first.

Has some valuable nuggets in it, for sure, I can see why it comes highly recommended.

Yeah, not really a believer so gonna skip it then.. thought it's different. :) Cheers!

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
I'm a writer, so I'm always reading some fiction, but I do read some non-fiction as well. I'm not reading any business books right now for a reason. I need to better understand writing, so I'm reading fiction and books on how to write better. Currently, fiction outnumbers nonfiction 2:1. I have more books in line than I can finish this year (the list below isn't even a complete list! Yikes!), but you'll get the idea.

Currently Reading
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Fiction)
Stein On Writing by Sol Stein (Nonfiction)

Up Next (in no particular order)
The Lord Of The Rings (like I need to say more)
The Hours by Michael Cunningham (Fiction)
Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden (Fiction)
How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie (Nonfiction)
How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World by Harry Browne (Nonfiction)
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (Fiction)
Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen (Fiction)
Bastard Out Of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (Fiction)
Miami by Joan Didion (Fiction)
Bangkok Days: A Sojourn In The Capital Of Pleasure by Lawrence Osborne (Nonfiction)
The Martian by Andy Weir (Fiction)
All The Light We Can Not See (Fiction)
Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow (Nonfiction)
Consilience: The Unity Of Knowledge by Edward O. Wilson (Nonfiction)

P.S. -- If anyone can recommend a book on how an introvert can learn to be more extroverted, let me know.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
Just finished:

Ca$hvertising (been said plenty of times on here, but everyone should read this book!)

The Lean Startup (Heavy tech focus but broad principles that can be applied across different niches)

80/20 Sales & Marketing (Great guide for efficient and successful marketing)

Currently reading:

Advanced Google Adwords (time to really get a hang of PPC)

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Currently reading Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger...about 2/3 of the way through...great read with real experiments carried out by Berger and his colleagues etc to prove concepts or theories...great to give you insights on Marketing and as the title reads...how to get your products n services etc to catch on....very useful and practical I believe....next Im onto Scientific Advertising and going through the Gary Halbert Boron Letters when Im online...

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
P.S. -- If anyone can recommend a book on how an introvert can learn to be more extroverted, let me know.

Best introversion books I've read:

Quiet by Susan Cain
The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney

You don't need to become more extroverted, just to use introversion better. Like surfing, you don't run from waves, you catch them and ride them!

Also might benefit even more by reading books about 'the shadow' etc:

Practically Shameless by Alyce Barry

Fantastic book. Helps remove self-sabotage and mental blocks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.