The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What’s your Meaning of Life?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I recently finished re-reading, “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Viktor E. Frankly and he brought up a good point.

You don’t ask to the universe, “What’s the meaning to life?”...

That question is actually a question for you. You’re the one who answers that question.

And everyone’s answer will be different. And the answer can change depending on where you are in your life.

The author said that there are three ways for you to discover the meaning of life:
1. Doing a work or deed.
2. By experiencing something or encountering someone.
3. By the attitude we take towards unavoidable suffering.

I’d say at this point in my life, the meaning for my life would be love and doing a deed. Love being family and girlfriend, experiencing all of this with them and having moments with them. Taking care of them, helping them become better, and overall just have fun with the short time we have here. In addition to doing deeds. I really believe in leaving this place a little better than I found it. And that doesn’t need to be a gigantic change in the world, but I do want to help millions.

At this point in your life... what would you say is your meaning to life?

A good exercise is imagining that this is actually your second life. You’ve already lived a life before and you’ve done all the wrong. This is your chance! At 80 years old, looking back on your life... what do you want to have accomplished? Where did you want to travel, go to, see, talk to, etc...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I have no clue, but if you want to find a meaning to life, first get rid of your gf.
Thanks for your great contribution, Jack! You’ve really changed my view on life.

vasanthanju

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jul 13, 2019
There are so many ways to define meaning that it’s impossible to narrow it down to just one or two definitions of meaning. It can have a different meaning for everyone.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Mine is giving. Time, things, gestures, help, advice, support, motivation... so deeds.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Mine is giving. Time, things, gestures, help, advice, support, motivation... so deeds.

When you mentioned, time, that reminded me of the book "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman.

One of the five languages was giving and one of the examples for giving was time.

Thanks for posting.

There are so many ways to define meaning that it’s impossible to narrow it down to just one or two definitions of meaning. It can have a different meaning for everyone.

As I mentioned in my original post,
"And everyone’s answer will be different. And the answer can change depending on where you are in your life."

That's true. Have you discovered your answer?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
The meaning of life is simple, it flows from how you serve life. There is no meaning without actions and deeds first.

If you do not serve life, then your life will have no meaning.

If you serve life in one way, then your life will have a little meaning.

If you serve life in many ways, then your life will have much meaning.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
My purpose statement has been "Honor God, help people, make money" As for meaniing, it is tough. I believe my meaning is still to be seen.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I don't believe there's a meaning to life.

I do believe that the key to fulfillment is finding meaning or finding purpose.

The most fulfilling meanings or purposes involve helping and serving others.

My purpose is to decrease the barriers to entrepreneurship to the people in my community.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
When you mentioned, time, that reminded me of the book "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman.

One of the five languages was giving and one of the examples for giving was time.

Thanks for posting.

"And everyone’s answer will be different. And the answer can change depending on where you are in your life."

Yup! My main love language is words of encouragement but the second is gifts (the things I mentioned) :D

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can't answer this question or even discuss this without discussing my Christian faith... So bare with me and take it for what it is. I don’t care if it makes me less popular.

The Parable of Talents:

14 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. 15 And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 16 Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. 17 And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. 18 But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. 19 After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.
20 “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ 21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ 22 He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ 23 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’
24 “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’
26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away.

If one believes... Then it is not a big leap to think that God has made us all uniquely different, with unique talents and abilities, for his use. We are called to use these to the best of our abilities and do the greatest good possible. Anything less than your absolute best misses the mark on what could have been, not just for yourself, but for God's work on earth.

Leaving a legacy of excellence rooted in a desire to be a good steward of the talents and resources that God blessed us with. Leading my friends, family and team members to this level of excellence and stewardship is ministry in and of itself. This is where I find meaning.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Last edited:

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Currently I don't have any meaning, that is keeping me back. I'm just both too comfortable and too selfish to worrying about anybody else except me, so I'm working on this right now. Also, from the moment I break some dangerous habits (like videogames) I have more free time to think about my situation and this lack of real purpose in my life makes me feel sad everyday.

So now I'm trying to change perspective, trying to focus on the process instead of the why, because the real joy is the journey, not the destination:

Also, I started "a guid to good life" (book), to see if can help me
The meaning of life is simple, it flows from how you serve life. There is no meaning without actions and deeds first.

If you do not serve life, then your life will have no meaning.

If you serve life in one way, then your life will have a little meaning.

If you serve life in many ways, then your life will have much meaning.
How can you serve life if you don't have any purpose? Purpose follows action, or action follows purpose?

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Share my ideas through writing, live a calm and peaceful life, spend time with the loved ones, experience nature.

I no longer feel the obligation to make a huge impact or accumulate a lot of wealth or whatever. A peaceful life where I can make a little difference for a few people through my writing is enough.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

Thanks for posting.

Frankl:
1. Doing a work or deed.

Don't be surprised to find that the source for meaning, the big WHY, is going to change.
I focused on 1 and 3 by necessity. Reason 2 is taking over. Some of you set this example.

Last edited:
D

Deleted69685

I recently finished re-reading, “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Viktor E. Frankly and he brought up a good point.

The author said that there are three ways for you to discover the meaning of life:
1. Doing a work or deed.

This is such a great book (one of my favourite ones!) and so good of you to be re-reading it, well done. However my understanding of the gist of Dr Frankl's message and the way I applied it was:

You find a meaning in life by:
1. Having suffered/truly suffered/how you conducted yourself in the process/how you resurrected from that experience
2. Having loved someone/truly loved them/or loved them and lost and how you coped afterwards
3. Having something to leave behind/something to give to the world/some valuable reason to live for.

And I couldn't agree more with his analogy.
I have reached point 1 already (sadly at this age (!) and wish I hadn't and in fact in a similar way as Dr Frankl although not as severe) and also I was lucky to have attained point 2 but working on 3. So yes, overall I agree that this is how you find meaning in life, I certainly did find mine in this way.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
How can you serve life if you don't have any purpose? Purpose follows action, or action follows purpose?

The purpose is to serve life. How discretely is your choice. The more you know your self and why you exist, the more clear that becomes.

Most people will do something like, look for opportunities to help people now. Then as they grow and introspect and understand themselves better, they figure out why they uniquely exist on earth, and then change gears and help people in a way that is in line with that.

Of course plenty of people never spend enough time figuring themselves out and just keep going with whatever opportunity presented itself to them to begin with and just keep building from there. The answers are internal, not external.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018