The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web 3.0 (Ethereum) is happening, and most people have no idea what it even is.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Interesting that at the WH Press Conference today a reporter asked about Cryptocurrency and if Trump was aware of it.

The Press Sec said he was and he was monitoring it along with Homeland Security.

Homeland Security?

Interesting.

They've been looking into it, investing in it, and working with it for a while. The USCIS (Citizenship and Immigration Services) has also considered accepting Bitcoin for payments.

Snapshot: Blockchain Technology Explored for Homeland Security

US Government Awards $2.25 Million to Blockchain Research Projects - CoinDesk

I'm sure the news outlets will make it into something bigger though. "The government is spying on us, it's getting ready to ban crypto, and we'll go to jail if we buy it!" type of thing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
They've been looking into it, investing in it, and working with it for a while. The USCIS (Citizenship and Immigration Services) has also considered accepting Bitcoin for payments.

Snapshot: Blockchain Technology Explored for Homeland Security

US Government Awards $2.25 Million to Blockchain Research Projects - CoinDesk

I'm sure the news outlets will make it into something bigger though. "The government is spying on us, it's getting ready to ban crypto, and we'll go to jail if we buy it!" type of thing.
It should be used for voting http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2016/581918/EPRS_ATA(2016)581918_EN.pdf <-pdf

Dots

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Aug 16, 2016
so CME has decided they will allow trading Bitcoin futures on their exchange. Question to traders : Any ideas how willp this influence the bitcoin ?

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
so CME has decided they will allow trading Bitcoin futures on their exchange. Question to traders : Any ideas how willp this influence the bitcoin ?

My opinion is that it will not help with the future of bitcoin at all. See Change of Sentiment Coming For Bitcoin as Bankers Continue Their FUD

I'm a trader, so I love volatility. I believe it will suppress the volatility.

lnBetween

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 25, 2014
Montreal, Canada

Some people think it will help, some others thing it will hurt. Some people think it will add to the price velocity and others think it will reduce velocity. So nobody really knows..

One thing for sure is that Google Trends shows that Worldwide searches for "Bitcoin" are skyrocketing so there's definitely a huge spike of interest. That can't be bad.

Last edited:

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The landing page isn’t very descriptive - Forgive my ignorance. What exactly does crycash do? Is it a bank to pay for online gaming with crypto?

not sure but they do have a whitepaper link on top with a very in depth description

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
not sure but they do have a whitepaper link on top with a very in depth description

Yeah I think I didn’t see it all. I thought the top page was it. My bad-

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Anyway, those are my basic thoughts. I own some IOTA, but not a ton. More of a fear of missing out should it go to a $50B market cap one day, like BTC and ETH... :)

Have your thoughts on IOTA changed at all in the last 4 months?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Saw this graphic on Reddit and thought of this thread.

iggqmd0ef7301.png

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Saw this graphic on Reddit and thought of this thread.

iggqmd0ef7301.png

But there is a difference, those entities CONTROL their content, offerings, etc.

So if you create CONTENT Facebook doesn't like, Facebook will censor it and kill your account.

If you send Bitcoin to another party, there is no 3rd party authoritarian who can say, "Hey, we don't like this transaction! Didn't your recipient speak ill-feelings about Bernie Sanders two years ago? No deal!"

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I bought a bunch of IOTA at $.52 a couple weeks back, expecting it to get listed on a couple big Korean exchanges. Turns out I was right, and got in at the absolute perfect time before the big jump. Unfortunately, I underestimated the traction it would get and I sold at around $1.30, thinking I was a genius... :)

While I'm not going to complain about my 150% return in three days, I'm obviously a little bit sad that I didn't hold on for a week longer...

True that. I was watching it at $0.70, was sitting in Bitcoin waiting to exchange for IOTA, but BTC kept climbing and I heard rumblings about news coming for IOTA in January or late Dec, so I sat on my hands.

Jumped 450% early Dec..freaking A!..

IOTA's gonna be bigly based on my many notes of it. But, who knows anymore :)

I bit the bullet and bought at $3.30. Betting it'll be at $10-$15 by 12/31/2018.

Ricardo's

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 7, 2016
Denver ✈️ Chicago
But I read an interesting article on Ethereum today, in french though and I am wondering about the language behind Ethereum: Solidity.
Instead of thinking about the crypto as a trading, could it be Fastlane to learn the language and develop applications in that network? The guy gives, in his articles some examples that are interesting and being an early adopter can give power, no?
This is what we should be talking about!

B. Cole

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
But there is a difference, those entities CONTROL their content, offerings, etc.

So if you create CONTENT Facebook doesn't like, Facebook will censor it and kill your account.

If you send Bitcoin to another party, there is no 3rd party authoritarian who can say, "Hey, we don't like this transaction! Didn't your recipient speak ill-feelings about Bernie Sanders two years ago? No deal!"

Seems the only control piece would be Govt. regulation. Mcafee running around saying "part of bitcoin's value is that it devalues the USD and other currencies as people start to use it" will shortly have people freaking, thinking that their domestic currency will eventually be of no value. I'm imagining that will bring on heavy regulation. Nations will embrace the technology, but probably won't let crypto itself render their currency useless. This is a crazy time indeed, who knows what the hell.

Patrick R

Shwizzle Shwazzle
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Sep 11, 2016
Maine
Curious as to thoughts on Bitshares. I like the decentralized aspect of them, as well as the lack of mining. Anyone in on these?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
With the ETH run up, I was looking to sell a few. I login to CoinBase and it says, Buys/Sells offline.

I'm gonna guess when I try to pull actually money out of the account, they'll claim the same thing, not to mention the limits imposed.

I'm gonna bet that actually turning your cryptos into hard cash, into your bank account and then to your fingertips is gonna be like splitting an atom.

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
With the ETH run up, I was looking to sell a few. I login to CoinBase and it says, Buys/Sells offline.

I'm gonna guess when I try to pull actually money out of the account, they'll claim the same thing, not to mention the limits imposed.

I'm gonna bet that actually turning your cryptos into hard cash, into your bank account and then to your fingertips is gonna be like splitting an atom.

My experience as a Canadian (and take with a large grain of salt as I'm sure I didn't research enough..)-

Bought some LTC on Coinbase- after this ridiculous run-up, decided I'd take the ~300% gains in the last week- go to sell and turns out not an option for Canadians. Ok.. Research a Canadian exchange and find Coinsquare (these names are very clever)- transfer coins there and they had ~ a 40 pt spread (to the downside ~424 vs 464). So, took my first hit on that transfer.

Step 2- needed to convert to CAD so that I could withdraw- boom, another ~6% fees taken.

Step 3- another EFT charge of 1% to my acct.

I'll be thankful if/when it finally hits the account... but what an unintuitive mess.. Blame should likely go to a) my Canadian heritage and b) more likely my ignorance of cheaper/faster options for withdrawal.

Think I need a drink..

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
At this point, all this is, is a digital number on a screen. It means nothing until that pixelized number on a screen is transferred into a hard asset.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
At this point, all this is, is a digital number on a screen. It means nothing until that pixelized number on a screen is transferred into a hard asset.
You can same the same thing about any fiat currency.

There is about $14T USD in circulation - ~90% is digital.

I could also say the same thing about stocks, bonds, futures or options contracts.

They are nothing more than numbers on a screen.

Until you use it to buy physical stuff, it's all intangible.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You can same the same thing about any fiat currency.

Sure, but that isn't the issue. The issue is liquidity for the purpose of conversion into something tangible.

Fiat has no liquidity issues. I can transfer that fiat "number on a screen" into a hard asset very quickly. I can't even get $500 bucks out of crypto without having to jump thru a bunch of hoops, withdrawal limits, blah blah.

A number on a screen that cannot be converted easily, poor liquidity, is ripe to just stay a number on a screen.

Obviously as an entrepreneur, you can see why there is opporunity in this realm, not just for investment/currency purposes, but for improving liquidity and access. Right now, it's easier to call the IRS and get help.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

Speaking of selling shovels during the gold rush - this sort of failure is exactly what members of Congress get really excited about regulating. Contrary to popular believe, there is something crypto supports can do about it before it's too forgone.

The process as it stands today goes:
- constituents call, complain that some company is stealing their "money" and that Congress should do something about it
- big banks/other industry stakeholders say to congressman "here is some legislation we wrote for you...you may not be able to shut down Bitcoin, but if you introduce this bill you could stop those evil Coinbases of the world! Oh, and here is a nice fat check for your reelection PAC...no linkage whatsoever."
- congressmen take advantage of fervor and confusion around crypto, passes legislation, accept more PAC money, everyone complains about government overreach ruining crypto

However, there is a nascent opportunity (in my opinion) to start fighting money with money...a crypto PAC / lobbying effort could be a bullwark against some of these pieces of regulation/legislation. It won't be perfect, but it's better than doing nothing, and in my day job I've seen how "special interests" can do combat with one another and cancel each other out on the Hill.

There is a blockchain caucus on the Hill, and there is some lobbying going on, but there is still a window for an organization to represent the interests of crypto holders (who now more than ever have cash and a vested interested in ensuring that the status quo remains relatively the same).

Some links:
Cryptocurrency Tax Fairness Act of 2017
Creating tax parity for cryptocurrencies - U.S. Representative Jared Polis
Analysis of the Act
K&L Gates Discusses Tax-Free Cryptocurrency Transactions and Reporting Rules
OMB Director former founder of Blockchain Caucus
Trump Picks Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Advocate as Budget Chief | Finance Magnates

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Do you have an account on GDAX (sister company to Coinbase)? You should be able to sell your BTC or ETH there, and then transfer the $$$ to coinbase. You'll probably need to pull it out over several days if it's more than $10K, but you can certainly lock it into hard $$$ immediately.
And coinbase will up you to $50k withdraw if you link your account with linkedin page. I did that easy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ginto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 5, 2016
Yeah, crypto is actually really liquid with coinbase/gdax combination. They do get overwhelming traffic at times like these when Litecoin decides to run 100%-200% and everyone and their mothers want to log in and get some..

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Sure, but that isn't the issue. The issue is liquidity for the purpose of conversion into something tangible.

Fiat has no liquidity issues. I can transfer that fiat "number on a screen" into a hard asset very quickly. I can't even get $500 bucks out of crypto without having to jump thru a bunch of hoops, withdrawal limits, blah blah.

A number on a screen that cannot be converted easily, poor liquidity, is ripe to just stay a number on a screen.

Obviously as an entrepreneur, you can see why there is opporunity in this realm, not just for investment/currency purposes, but for improving liquidity and access. Right now, it's easier to call the IRS and get help.
I've had no issues with liquidity. But I won't touch coinbase.

And the barrier to entry is exactly why crypto is still not a bubble.

When my aunt mortgages her house to buy bitcoin, then it's a bubble.

But I like the barriers now.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Funny I've not read this thread in a while. I'd swear MJ said something like "I won't make any money on this thing, but I won't lose any either" at some point early on, just can't find it right now.
As for liquidity - certainly a problem right now with a creaky infrastructure of money-lenders and money-launderers. I read Coinbase added 1M new accounts in the last 3 months - to be fair they cannot have predicted such a rapid expansion based on the 3 year run up from MT GOX.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
AML / KYC / Patriot act etc make coinbase a difficult business to run..couple that with explosive growth and it's a recipe for difficult times if they're going to avoid being shutdown over a mistake.

If you don't mind a premium and want near instant cash in your account you can go p2p with www.localbitcoins.com

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm still waiting for my cash to transfer from my bank account to the wallet on coinbase.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Question: If I bought one ethereum but the price goes up before the transaction is competed iis this locked in? In other words, if I paid $600 for one ethereum but it is pending and within a few days the price jumps a few hundred am I still locked in for the one ethereum at that original price?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.