The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web 3.0 (Ethereum) is happening, and most people have no idea what it even is.

Ricardo's

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 7, 2016
Denver ✈️ Chicago
Question: If I bought one ethereum but the price goes up before the transaction is competed iis this locked in? In other words, if I paid $600 for one ethereum but it is pending and within a few days the price jumps a few hundred am I still locked in for the one ethereum at that original price?
I’m assuming you’re using coinbase, it tells you when you click on it. It locks in the price you bought at.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Question: If I bought one ethereum but the price goes up before the transaction is competed iis this locked in? In other words, if I paid $600 for one ethereum but it is pending and within a few days the price jumps a few hundred am I still locked in for the one ethereum at that original price?
Your locked in at the price at the time you click buy or sell regardless of fluctuations in price between then and receiving it

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you have an account on GDAX (sister company to Coinbase)?

Yes, but I've been unable to verify. And I don't give my banking login credentials to faceless third-party corporations.

Funny I've not read this thread in a while. I'd swear MJ said something like "I won't make any money on this thing, but I won't lose any either" at some point early on, just can't find it right now.

It's somewhere in the thread, way early on. That changed when Jamie Dimon and a few other banking whores came out against it.

huntiii

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 22, 2016
Chicago, IL
The beeps for this thread were going to my spam box. Been out of it for a while.

My feelings at BTC 2,000 have not changed.

17k for bitcoin is still chump change.

Going WAY higher.

Litecoin and Ether are benefiting from the Coinbase effect.

Coinbase opening 100K accounts a day for people who want to buy bitcoin. These people make a small initial purchase and then come back to put a LOT more money in a few weeks later. There are only three coins for sale on Coinbase. As long as coinbase keeps killing it with accounts, LTC and ETH will go up, up and up.

Most of wall street lining up to buy btc. 2018 will be big. Especially when that first pension fund makes a bitcoin purchase because it is a non-correlated asset and smooths out typical portfolio volatility.

Also I hear a lot of conflated "bitcoin is a bubble" talk. What kind of bubble? A nasdaq kind or a tulip kind? This matters big time. Maybe its not even a bubble. Maybe a pin? Here's a quick article I wrote on my blog.

Is Bitcoin a Bubble or is it the Pin that Pops the Bubble?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just figured out how to mine ETH using my GTX1070 yesterday. The funny thing is, I started to do this stuff at the beginning of the year, did a few steps wrong and never got it to work. Didn't start to look at it again until a few days ago.

It is all up and running now. If I run it all the time apparently I will be making a little over 0.1 ETH a month. Nothing special, but more than 0. Electricity is free where I am right now. It is mostly solar based.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Yes, but I've been unable to verify. And I don't give my banking login credentials to faceless third-party corporations.

Coinbase isn't faceless, though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqF43uD3kKQ

Keep in mind that Coinbase/GDAX is US government regulated, and any USD in your accounts is FDIC insured (up to federal limits). Probably just as safe as whatever bank you're giving the credentials for...

Although it wasn't always the case, the crypto you now hold in Coinbase is insured too, just not by the FDIC.

How is Coinbase insured?

DavidK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 23, 2017
Hurricane, UT
The beeps for this thread were going to my spam box. Been out of it for a while.

My feelings at BTC 2,000 have not changed.

17k for bitcoin is still chump change.

Going WAY higher.

Litecoin and Ether are benefiting from the Coinbase effect.

Coinbase opening 100K accounts a day for people who want to buy bitcoin. These people make a small initial purchase and then come back to put a LOT more money in a few weeks later. There are only three coins for sale on Coinbase. As long as coinbase keeps killing it with accounts, LTC and ETH will go up, up and up.

Most of wall street lining up to buy btc. 2018 will be big. Especially when that first pension fund makes a bitcoin purchase because it is a non-correlated asset and smooths out typical portfolio volatility.

Also I hear a lot of conflated "bitcoin is a bubble" talk. What kind of bubble? A nasdaq kind or a tulip kind? This matters big time. Maybe its not even a bubble. Maybe a pin? Here's a quick article I wrote on my blog.

Is Bitcoin a Bubble or is it the Pin that Pops the Bubble?

Interesting article, does anyone think that once blockchain tech becomes prominent enough, governments and those on top of the current financial system will start to undermine/sabotage it?

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
It's been a while since my last read on this thread and I'm mindblown where the ETH price sits right now. And it kills me to think that I discovered it while it was around ~90 USD...

I'm definetely waiting for the correction to buy some ETH/Litecoin. Does anyone know the best ways to buy crypto from Brazil?

huntiii

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 22, 2016
Chicago, IL
Interesting article, does anyone think that once blockchain tech becomes prominent enough, governments and those on top of the current financial system will start to undermine/sabotage it?

They will make their own crypto. But it will be centralized. Laughed at by anyone who knows. Used if required.

huntiii

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 22, 2016
Chicago, IL
People used to say the same thing about the Internet...

Remember though.

Just because Bitcoin is going way higher than $17K per coin does not mean it won't "crash" again. But it is crashing to higher lows and rising to higher highs.

Bitcoin crashes over 30% on average about once per quarter

upload_2017-12-13_7-51-38.pngupload_2017-12-13_7-51-38.png

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I've been playing with crypto just about ever since it was created. I remember bitcoins being worth under $10. Overall, I've lost some money, but not too much.

Here are my rules in terms of alt coins, gathered from years of getting my a$$ handed to me in terms of either losing out on a big win, or getting tricked into buying shit :
1. Listen to NO ONE.
2. Research the hell out of the coins you are investing in and the trading patterns of the folks that are buying and selling these coins.
3. You can make big money if a coin has two characteristics....Either they have HUGE potential, OR, they have a rock-star marketing team that can sell pee on cotton, or a combination of the two.
4. Once you've have identified a coin and have bought in at a level that makes you happy, DO NOT SELL. Hold that shit until either you are ready to retire, OR, there is something fundamentally wrong with the coin that could make it worthless.

In terms of the technology, I have some pretty big concerns about where all this is headed. And I'm not talking about some guys losing a few billions of dollars. I think we are at the start of a major financial destabilization, or a huge interruption at the very least. Crypto could either be the best thing that ever happened to society, or the worst. I do plan to start a thread about where we are headed in our little world with crypto now coming into the playing field.

The end game for me is to buy tangible hard assets, but that doesn't mean that I'm not gonna ride the gravy train.

That's all for now.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
However, anyone heavily invested in crypto should have future regulation on the list of risks to balance.

I agree with this. We now have people transferring value to each other without banks or governments - two HUGE institutions that don't like giving up control to the masses. There will be fallout from this sooner or later.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Of course many people may not have the time or inclination to do the research but dismissing a world changing technology as useless is just ignorant.

Agreed.

And you don't have to understand exactly how a solar panel works to invest in a solar company. All you need to do is look to the trends and their books.

It just doesn't hurt to invest a bit, even just for fun. Drop $500. If it all tanks (it won't) and it's all a scam (it's not) then you lost $500. So what?

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Do you have an account on GDAX (sister company to Coinbase)? You should be able to sell your BTC or ETH there, and then transfer the $$$ to coinbase. You'll probably need to pull it out over several days if it's more than $10K, but you can certainly lock it into hard $$$ immediately.

Exactly. From what I understand, CoinBase is a good place to get started but in the exchanges (like GDAX) is where you have more flexibility.

Patrick R

Shwizzle Shwazzle
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Sep 11, 2016
Maine
The exchanges is definitely the place to go for the ability to cash out. As well as for trading (such as forex/options (kinda)). I use Binance for standard crypto trading and Bitshares for more market trading. I love the Bitshares platform and the potential it has as a decentralized market. It might not be the next big blow up but with it's "liquid backing" style system I've made pretty good returns on my trades in the past two weeks.

(Plus one BTS is just about worth under a quarter right now so with the growth rate crypto is seeing I'll be happy if my pocket change turns into cash)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
Whilst ETH has proven to be a solid investment, I've been using it to buy EOS for the past 6 months or so.

Current values:

EOS = just under $3

ETH = $460's

Will check back here in a year or so to see which has performed better.

All the best guys.
Boy, you have the best predictions. EOS is just about $8.3 right now! I'm really glad I found your posts! :smile:
Rep ++

Last edited:

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
If you send Bitcoin to another party, there is no 3rd party authoritarian who can say, "Hey, we don't like this transaction! Didn't your recipient speak ill-feelings about Bernie Sanders two years ago? No deal!"

That's not strictly true.

Unfortunately for bitcoin, fungibility is one of the traits this currency does not possess in its current forms. Some people see it as a drawback, whereas others feel it is no problem whatsoever.

Coinbase, on the other hand, has become extremely strict regarding the acceptance of coins with a murky history.

Several bitcoin-related projects under development will improve fungibility for this cryptocurrency. The Lightning Network will allow off-chain transactions, even though it is unclear when this project will be available to the masses. The Lightning Network does require SegWit activation, though, so it may be some time until we see it in action. Additionally, there is TumbleBit, which provides a tumbling service incapable of deanonymizing users. TumbleBit is expected to come to fruition later this year. Last but not least, the MimbleWimble protocol should not be discounted either, as it allows transactions to be removed from the blockchain.

SegWit is activated, and Lightning could be coming. So it probably won't be a problem in the end.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
This is one and only long and all-encompassing thread about Ethereum.
I have a question to those who follow the news about Ethereum:

- Have the Ethereum smart contracts ever been implemented for P2P (person to person) transactions? If so, are they legally recognized by the courts? Or is it still work-in-progress and futurism?

Last edited:

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
Time for predictions for 2018 :)

I have high expectations for:
- populous
- paypie
- stellar
- spectre
- enigma

Others I am keeping my eyes on are ripple, omg, waltonchain and siacoin.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
My holdings are:
Syscoin
Tron
Ripple
Power Ledger
Cardano
VeChain
Skychain (In pre-ICO now)

Feel pretty good about these.

powderhound100

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Apr 20, 2014
My holdings are:
Syscoin
Tron
Ripple
Power Ledger
Cardano
VeChain
Skychain (In pre-ICO now)

Feel pretty good about these.

Interesting, my current holdings are:

IOTA 27%
Eth 20%
XRP 12.5%
Neo 10.4
LTC 8.85%
Lisk 7.71
XRB 6.45%
BTC. 2.69
then less then 2% Ark, OMG, Req, TRX.

Currently looking into taking about half my Ethereum and putting it into Icon and maybe some Ven, Xtrabytes or a few others.

Patrick R

Shwizzle Shwazzle
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Sep 11, 2016
Maine
My holdings currently are:

XRP
IOTA
TRX
XVG
XLM
BTS
LTC
PPT
BTC
MANA

I bought $200 worth of BTC a few years back and it turned into just over $2000 this year. That's what I've been using to buy my other currencies with. Took forever to get verified on CoinBase, but it finally happened and then I put another $500 fiat in. But at the end of the day I'm basically playing with house money and if it all goes bust it won't hurt (except emotionally).

I was lucky with XRP and XLM since I got in on them low. Getting to ride the Ripple wave has been amazing. I'm really hoping TRX pulls around in 2018, those coins were pretty cheap so I have quite a few.

I'm looking into NEO, Icon, and Ven right now. Thinking I will hold the majority of them for a number of years. Unless there is some other massive rally like BTC had this year and one of these turns into life changing money. Again, playing with house money so I'm enjoying learning the technology and not worrying too much about breaking the bank.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
I own as follows

LTC
ETH
BTC
OMG
MTH
PAY
KNC
LINK
ICX
BCC

Was waiting to buy XRP when it dipped back below $1 but missed that boat for now ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
What do you guys think of POE and TRIG?
I bought some POE when it was around 0.4 (2 days ago) and it seems to be in a uptrend. Hope it reaches 0.20 soon... :)

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
What happens when the anonymity of bitcoin goes away and the IRS gets involved?

A lot of people I know think they are just going to skate by without paying tax on any of this money.

Anonymity is a major catalyst of bitcoin. When that goes away, which it will; what kind of affect do you see it having on the price of bitcoin and the overall crypto world in general?

Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.