The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

W/C 14-May-18

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What needs to have happened for you to be happy with progress this week?

What ONE Thing do you need to do that would make everything else either unnecessary or easier to do?

What do you need to do to make a sale this week?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My ONE Thing this week is to write a pitch to one of my bigger bespoke clients.

If it brings in more monthly revenue then the other 4 things on my list will be easier to complete - because I can pay to get them done.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Thank you for asking, Andy!

I want to make my first marketing consulting (web design/hosting and/or copywriting) sale for at least $2,000, with at least 50% profit, by the end of this month of May, 2018.

An alternative success would be for me to make a total of at least $2,000, with at least 50% profit, from multiple smaller profits.

I want this to be work I can readily deliver, doing all of my own work as well as any third party coordination I need to do, in no more than half a week's worth of my own time. It's okay if that's spread out throughout a month, for example, if there's a weekly update meeting with the client about one part of the progress, finishing delivery from the client's point of view within one month.

I see two areas of limitation for me that I need to bust through this week.

1. My web geek work was internal to corporations where I can't show clients what I did. Some of the companies have since gone bust. Those who remained likely think of me as a tech geek rather than an entrepreneurial type, because my work was before I got my mindshift going thanks to MJ. Therefore, I feel I probably need to do some sample projects for free this week, just to get a current portfolio and current, local testimonials of me as my current entrepreneurial businessman self. But I'm not sure if this is right, or if it is, how to find those projects and do them well.

2. Once I get into a business conversation with mutual respect, I do great. I have the proposal writing, presentation, negotiation, and project management chops to be very credible and professional. But I need to build a lead generation funnel that promptly fills up my pipeline with opportunities and keeps it topped off. I see long term ways to do over many months, this but I'm trying to figure how to do it in the short term of days to weeks.

I have someone who would be a really great team member and co-founder, but who is going through some personal turmoil right now that's not her fault. I'd love to have another person on board so that there really is a Company, not just me. I do better work as part of a team.

I'd welcome comments, advice, suggestions, most especially personal experience case studies!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
My ONE Thing this week is to write a pitch to one of my bigger bespoke clients.

Do you have everything you need for that, Andy? Any uncertainty or hassle here, or is this completely routine for you by now?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for asking, Andy!

I want to make my first marketing consulting (web design/hosting and/or copywriting) sale for at least $2,000, with at least 50% profit, by the end of this month of May, 2018.

An alternative success would be for me to make a total of at least $2,000, with at least 50% profit, from multiple smaller profits.

I want this to be work I can readily deliver, doing all of my own work as well as any third party coordination I need to do, in no more than half a week's worth of my own time. It's okay if that's spread out throughout a month, for example, if there's a weekly update meeting with the client about one part of the progress, finishing delivery from the client's point of view within one month.

I see two areas of limitation for me that I need to bust through this week.

1. My web geek work was internal to corporations where I can't show clients what I did. Some of the companies have since gone bust. Those who remained likely think of me as a tech geek rather than an entrepreneurial type, because my work was before I got my mindshift going thanks to MJ. Therefore, I feel I probably need to do some sample projects for free this week, just to get a current portfolio and current, local testimonials of me as my current entrepreneurial businessman self. But I'm not sure if this is right, or if it is, how to find those projects and do them well.

2. Once I get into a business conversation with mutual respect, I do great. I have the proposal writing, presentation, negotiation, and project management chops to be very credible and professional. But I need to build a lead generation funnel that promptly fills up my pipeline with opportunities and keeps it topped off. I see long term ways to do over many months, this but I'm trying to figure how to do it in the short term of days to weeks.

I have someone who would be a really great team member and co-founder, but who is going through some personal turmoil right now that's not her fault. I'd love to have another person on board so that there really is a Company, not just me. I do better work as part of a team.

I'd welcome comments, advice, suggestions, most especially personal experience case studies!
Others may disagree but I prefer not to have numeric goals like make $2k by the end of the month. I might have that as an underlying and unstated goal, but to achieve it I would determine that I need to (say) reach out to 10 Blacksmith businesses a day. Make that your goal and see how things go?

Personally, I’d worry less about building pipelines and funnels at the start, and focus on building relationships.

All those people who already know, like and trust you? That see you as a web geek and not an entrepreneur? Why not meet them all for a coffee one-on-one and find out how things are going for them, and let them know how you’re doing?

This thread might help too:

As for wanting someone onboard. My experience at the start was that looking to join forces with someone else was just lack of confidence on my part. I didn’t think I was a good enough business person, when in fact I already knew enough. It’s just about building relationships hips, helping people, and solving problems. You’ve been doing it for years already.

I actually found teaming up with people held me back. I couldn’t follow my nose how I wanted to.

Now-a-days I work in a team of freelancers that also doubles as our mastermind. We all have our separate business entities, but a rising tide lifts all boats so we all work together with our complimentary skills but similar values.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do you have everything you need for that, Andy? Any uncertainty or hassle here, or is this completely routine for you by now?
No uncertainty. Pitch is too strong a word. I used it because their last communication was that things were going really well and they wanted to take things up a level. His last message was “Send me a pitch and budget and where to sign my friend.”

I will spend this morning looking at the data and deciding what ONE Thing we should do to move the needle. Then I’ll send a short email proposal.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
His last message was “Send me a pitch and budget and where to sign my friend.”

Awesome! "Please help me buy more from you" is the best thing for anyone to hear from a customer!

Others may disagree but I prefer not to have numeric goals like make $2k by the end of the month. I might have that as an underlying and unstated goal, but to achieve it I would determine that I need to (say) reach out to 10 Blacksmith businesses a day. Make that your goal and see how things go?

Personally, I’d worry less about building pipelines and funnels at the start, and focus on building relationships.

That's very helpful. I need to analyze my pipeline, not in terms of the money, but in terms of what quality and quantity of business relationships would make it the natural step to move forward together on a project... before that, for a proposal to be well received... before that, for a constructive conversation to lead to a proposal... before that, for initial contact to lead to a conversation focused on the other person's needs and whatever I can see that might help them, whether or not it comes from me. This is the mindset shift I need that will unlock my creativity based on being of service in a way that's productive and enjoyable. Thank you!

diesel and coffee

At this time I need to create a new business network, of people who know me now as a marketing-focused businessman who happens to know a lot about technology.

In the catastrophic decade of medical and financial meltdown, we became terribly isolated. Attempts to reconnect were mostly rejected, especially once I became widowed as though it was as contagious as leprosy. Since then, my outlook on life, values, priorities, goals, interests have all radically changed; most of the companies I worked for have gone out of business or extremely downsized, the former colleagues scattered to the winds. Those who would remember me at all, would remember a very different person in very different circumstances, doing a lot of different things than I'm focused on now, without the friendships that were just based on being work buddies, nothing more.

I see diesel and coffee in person as extremely valuable to me over the next few months. But my first priority is on the national market, with literally one hundred times as many people and businesses nationwide as I could ever reach driving all day from here. I like this area in the warm half of the year, but definitely want to get out of the nation's worst brutally cold winter weather, which is extra hard on me after chemo. I see all that as feasible if I get remote clients, but not if I focus too tightly on local clientele.

I'll check out the other threads you recommended.

As for wanting someone onboard. My experience at the start was that looking to join forces with someone else was just lack of confidence on my part.

It's not that for me. This person is a well proven friend through a decade that was as difficult for her family as my experience was for me. She has some really great strengths and skills, especially in sales, customer service, and some other things. Including having accidentally used social media to build tens of thousands of followers for a publication without even knowing what she was doing. She's in a different time zone for more convenient availability for national clientele.

I understand how I'm good enough to do good work on my own. I think carpooling to the Fastlane really will be advantageous for me at this time. I think this one really is a Mastermind alliance for me.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Your own version of Diesel and Coffee could be phone calls or Skype calls. I don't meet many people for a coffee now-a-days, but I chat with lots of people in the evenings.

I found it useful when I was starting up to go to local business workshops. Not the complete newbies ones, but the ones where people are already in motion. You'd learn something anyway (you'd hope) and everyone has to introduce themselves at the start too. All you need is one conversation over coffee or lunch that leads to a chat after the workshop. I'm sure that's the big benefit of TFLF Summits.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
YES!!!! In fact you are a GREAT example and inspiration for me about how that can work!
Yeah, and we should probably have a chat sometime too.

Hmmm... I’ve still not sent that proposal (pitch) in. Been distracted building campaigns and “responding” (to messages etc.) I should focus my attention where it will move the needle most.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.