The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using 3M's products to improve your own product?

Shaul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 13, 2018
Hi there,

I'm looking to manufacture and release my first product on Amazon, and had a question regarding the legality of things. Essentially I plan to improve an existing product using one of 3M's industrial tapes to give it a stronger hold, and sell that improved product on Amazon. Now by doing so am I infringing on any trademarks/copyright/patent violations here? I would assume not since the primary customers of 3M are other manufacturers who design other products, but would still like to make sure.

Also if it possible, would I also be allowed to make note of it in the listing that this new, improved product contains a stronger hold as it contain's 3M's industrial tape?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Although I can't offer legal advice, my opinion is that 3M would probably be very pleased to receive another endorsement.

I have seen many instances of an otherwise good product failing to live up to expectations because something attached with a "permanent" adhesive tape fell apart.

In many cases, when my B2B business was supplying industrial labeling products, we specified 3M tape must be used, and we did advertise the fact.

Walter

LittleJohn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 30, 2018
Northeast USA
Although I can't offer legal advice, my opinion is that 3M would probably be very pleased to receive another endorsement.

I have seen many instances of an otherwise good product failing to live up to expectations because something attached with a "permanent" adhesive tape fell apart.

In many cases, when my B2B business was supplying industrial labeling products, we specified 3M tape must be used, and we did advertise the fact.

Walter
Sounds like you might be on to something here..

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Sounds like you might be on to something here..
People don't seem to appreciate that labels are ubiquitous when it comes to an immense variety of products. They think of a printed paper label stuck on a jar or can, but not the labels on:
  • computers
  • furniture
  • bathroom cabinets
  • appliances
  • machinery
  • medical devices
  • tools
  • weapons
  • mattresses
  • fire extinguishers
  • plus a mind boggling list far too long to post.
They all must be attached by some means, and although screws, rivets and stitches are used for some, adhesive is the most common way of attaching labels. The labels my B2B business provided never fell off, but we had to be persistent with suppliers in Asia to get them to use good quality adhesives.

If you need to glue any two things together and whether it is a permanent label, or joining together parts of a product, it is essential that you use quality adhesives.

Walter
P.S. Some labels are actually an integral part of a product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.