The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Twitter on the Deathwatch

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
If all the talk of Twitter going to 10,000 characters is true (Gary V has been mentioning it so it must be ;) ) then it does definitely feel like Twitter is on a slippery slope. A move like that isn't a pivot, it's a desperate attempt to try and be like all the other networks, but at the same time try and retain the same platform it's dedicated followers like. Basically it's the classic try to please everyone ... and no doubt in the end annoy everyone.

I work with a number of personalities and for them Twitter is actually still a very strong tool in terms of engagement. Getting out there and talking with people buying their music / watching their shows / using their service provides some big leaps in user retention and also developing a very committed following who will do your promotion work for you. The issue with that is it isn't scalable after a certain level. I'm currently doing a lot of work with Twitter and the other big four social networks and see what is providing the most value in terms of traffic and conversions and so far it's Facebook and Pinterest that are blowing the others out of the water. Twitter can still provide quality results, but it's a 5% of the percentage it used to be back in the day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Twitter is 7% cheaper today. Buy out becomes more likely the lower the stock goes.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Interesting thread about all the social networks.

It's going to be interesting to see which of the big 4 (Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Google) take a closer look at twitter when it gets really cheap. All of these companies have massive amounts of cash on there balance sheet. I don't think any of the big 4 will buy twitter because it has no value.

There ad platform is expensive & terrible compared to Facebook, Google, Pinterest, Youtube. I think we will see more consolidation of the social networks after this next big market crash.

Also in the long term it's going to be interesting how these PPC Networks will compete with each other since there are more options for online media buying compared to a couple years ago when it was just the adwords network.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
On Twitter I feel like there are four types of people:

The forgotten bots / Inactive account
Small celebs/self published authors/ relatively known people who post once every now and then ---> (the most interesting accounts)
Celebrities or known personalities whose accounts are most likely run people in their entourage or by a marketing agency
Ultra-famous celebrities who post continuously and get worshiped daily by their followers

The rest is bots and mindless text (of which 90% is spam probably).

I agree with @Vigilante on his prediction.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/how-myspace-fell-apart_n_887853.html

Twitter has some of the same trends.

1 billion people have tried it.

700 million of them have left or no longer use it.

300 million are active users.

Their business model requires subscriber growth.

I signed up for a twitter account about 4-5 years ago, started spamming (following) everyone, then barely used it and now I never plan to use it anymore. It is just mechanical communication, not natural at all. i can't even convince myself there are that many users using it. As far as I can remember their biggest value proposition always was "we have a 140 character status limitation" :p

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
My twitter @Newpollz has 12.8k followers and about 40% seem to be inactive or bots at first glance. Could be more.

drifter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 10, 2016
Canada
From my perspective, twitter is going down due to its lack of pictures. I won't disappear as it still has a great niche (short bursts of information). Thanks to technology, most people have less of an attention span than gold fish (which is about 12 seconds): the average attention span is about 8 seconds (source: http://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/ ). This means that in order to engage an audience, you best do it in under 8 seconds and ideally with pictures.

Memes are popular for a reason: short text transposed onto pictures. Why is IG popular? Pictures. Snapchat? Pictures & short video bursts. Pinterest? Pictures.

Why is SN really moving into the scene? Video bursts in 10 seconds or less with p. Show me your product, tell me why I should buy it, tell me more, offer me a deal, sounds good I want it. It goes with the attention span of people.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Twitter is 7% cheaper today. Buy out becomes more likely the lower the stock goes.
google can buy them because they need a social network to broaden their ad gap with facebook who is a goliath right now i wouldn't be surprised if facebook become the most valuable company in the next 3-5 years because they have yet to really monetize instagram which they started to and is catching on right now and not to mention whatsapp. google needs twitter because google+ is horrendous and they could really come up with some concepts to monetize it. i doubt amazon would want to buy it because amazon have alot on their plate right now.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
I think the value in LinkedIn is not LinkedIn itself, but rather their groups and network niches.

It's much deeper than Facebook, and it is resource rich, quite like Reddit, in the way that their groups interact and actually build on the industry.

Arbitrage with pretty much anything in life will lead to value, actually. I'm reading a book on private lending the right way, and its incredible how much value is laying around in places that people trend-stomp over.

@Greyson F

What's the book title? Sounds interesting.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
What's the book title? Sounds interesting.

It is called The Banker's Code: The Most Powerful Wealth Building Strategies Ever Known by George Antone. Of course, take it with a grain of salt, because he tailors the book a little to "Get Rich Quick" Junkies... Though I think he does a great job of leaving a lot of it vague, and saying stuff like:

"You can learn more on this by looking at the resources in the back of the book..."

"You can learn more on this by talking to an insurance agent..."

"You can learn more on this by contacting a mortgage broker..."

So he knows that the Fastlane people will really take the bulk out of it.

Great book so far. TAKE NOTES :rolleyes:

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
It is called The Banker's Code: The Most Powerful Wealth Building Strategies Ever Known by George Antone. Of course, take it with a grain of salt, because he tailors the book a little to "Get Rich Quick" Junkies... Though I think he does a great job of leaving a lot of it vague, and saying stuff like:

"You can learn more on this by looking at the resources in the back of the book..."

"You can learn more on this by talking to an insurance agent..."

"You can learn more on this by contacting a mortgage broker..."

So he knows that the Fastlane people will really take the bulk out of it.

Great book so far. TAKE NOTES :rolleyes:

@Greyson F,

That kind of tome is right up my alley. Thanks, again!!!

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Since I've been 9 years old and on the internet I've used AOL, Haboo Hotel, different forums, Profile Heaven, MySpace, Bebo, Facebook, Twitter etc etc.
They will all have their day one day or had 'had'.

Look at quite recently Periscope was hyped as the next big thing and within a short time YouTube starts live streaming and will kill that app in the next 12-24 months.
There is always something bigger and better on the horizon.

Twitter has been terrible for about 18 months now not enjoyed the platform, too clumped with ads etc should really just stick to basics with a ad at the front or see one at the top of each profile page or something. Should have sticken to the KISS strategy (Keep it simple stupid).
But Twitter taking away the "timeline" is just a idiotic idea people want to see what their friends and celebrity's are saying about a situation not dragged into something twitter thinks is "trendy"

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Since I've been 9 years old and on the internet I've used AOL, Haboo Hotel, different forums, Profile Heaven, MySpace, Bebo, Facebook, Twitter etc etc.
They will all have their day one day or had 'had'.

Look at quite recently Periscope was hyped as the next big thing and within a short time YouTube starts live streaming and will kill that app in the next 12-24 months.
There is always something bigger and better on the horizon.

Twitter has been terrible for about 18 months now not enjoyed the platform, too clumped with ads etc should really just stick to basics with a ad at the front or see one at the top of each profile page or something. Should have sticken to the KISS strategy (Keep it simple stupid).
But Twitter taking away the "timeline" is just a idiotic idea people want to see what their friends and celebrity's are saying about a situation not dragged into something twitter thinks is "trendy"

it's a shame though i have never used it but they had alot of users at one point. but the social media market is a very risky market indeed though if you look at it most of them have a life span of 3-5 years i am surprised facebook is alive today and i got to give credit to their ceo and his amazing team.

Last edited:

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
it's a shame though i have never used it but they had alot of users at one point. but the social media market is a very risky market indeed though if you look at it most of them have a life span of 3-5 years i am surprised facebook is alive today and i got to give credit to their ceo and his amazing team.
Facebook has kept it simple and added ads in smart ways with a nice clean layout.
Twitter on the other hand has too much sponsored and is all over the place from the original.
Instagram is slowly but surely becoming the same still a good app for the time being though.

Its crazy to think the next Facebook might have already been 'thought up' and some little guy (or girl) is sitting in a dorm, their garage, their basement etc. Working away on it already, Wouldn't mind being one of the first to invest lol if it is the case.

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014
I am putting Twitter on deathwatch.

I don't think they'll still be a thing by January 2018.

It will be around, but nobody will care. It will continue it's fade to irrelevance.

The next big platform hasn't been hatched yet, but you will see some new form of social media emerge in 2016.

Twitter is the MySpace of current social media.

Their 15 minutes of fame are over.

Shareholders will keep it alive artificially longer than they should, but it will be a slow bleed to zero.

They never had a superior value proposition to Facebook other than for stalking someone.

Hmmmm I respectfully disagree with the premise of this thread. To play Devil's advocate and because I think Twitter is great.

IMO twitter's advantages.

1. Live response to events
2. Easy connection with strangers unlike FB, linked in ect.
3. hash tag system has become everyday parlance on the internet [HASHTAG]#twitterrocks[/HASHTAG]

Anyway, I think to ignore twitter is foolish depending on your niche. Especially if you are involved in something which has a global reach. You want to build your audience in South Korea, no problem.

I use tweepi to find followers who are interested in my niche. I know what these twitter users like, where there from, ect. I get interaction and fans for free (- 5mins a day add relevant followers).

Look at the end of the day, use whatever social media works for you. Be ready to jump ship and be diversified. I bet there is some people still killing it on Myspace. It is in about 1700 in the most visited websites.

Would I invest Twitter or any other social media? No. Would I objectively test the results of all social media and see which is reaping rewards? Yes... by the way it's twitter.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I agree with Vigilante. I don't see twitter staying as it is.

What can I get from twitter that I can't get from facebook or instagram?

Why do I need to have Facebook + Instagram + Twitter ???

Facebook and Instagram accomplish everything that Twitter can 100000 times better. I signed up to twitter for a whole of 2 minutes. Created an account, logged in, logged out and never used it again. Thought it was painful.

I don't even know why anyone would buy out twitter, other than to grab it's user base as a potential marketing platform. Why should facebook buy them out? Twitters technology sucks. Everyone that owns a Twitter account already owns a Facebook account.... So why would Facebook pay Twitter to buy it's user base and it's crappy software?

If a compnay wanted to get into social media and didn't have a huge presense, then I could see it. MAybe a company like Microsoft, or something. But even then, they don't need to do that to get information on users because 90% of the world uses windows and Microsoft farms the shit out of that lol.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
To be honest the only thing anyone should ask with respect to Twitter is this: Is my target customer there? If so, you then should find it relevant -- impending doom or not. Until that question is answered differently, pontificating about the future is fun, but somewhat pointless.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
I am putting Twitter on deathwatch.

I don't think they'll still be a thing by January 2018.

It will be around, but nobody will care. It will continue it's fade to irrelevance.

The next big platform hasn't been hatched yet, but you will see some new form of social media emerge in 2016.

Twitter is the MySpace of current social media.

Their 15 minutes of fame are over.

Shareholders will keep it alive artificially longer than they should, but it will be a slow bleed to zero.

They never had a superior value proposition to Facebook other than for stalking someone.

I think a lot more people use twitter than we all think. In fact, when I launched my last business, I funneled a ton of "targeted" traffic from twitter that converted really well. How? I simply found one of my competitors on there who happened to have a boatload of followers and went on and connected with them. Can this be done with IG...It can but this is just my experience with the system. Personally, people say that Instagram is tremendous for traffic but I've had a lot of success with twitter (Facebook ads too). I think the potential for engagement on twitter is much better than sites like IG. I think the UI on the front end is also more effective for conversion. From the moment you click on a link in the bio, the linked site slides up within the same page vs ig where a new page is opened. It was easier for me to connect with a targeted user and get them sign up for my email list for our launch. Why did I do this? Because it's a hell of a lot easier to start a company with a list of prospects than a hand full of jellybeans.

Anyway, in terms of the twitter deathwatch thing, I'm a fan of twitter so I have to say they'll be around for years to come. I've always said I love the experience on twitter better than IG. One of the things that annoys me about IG is that you cannot send PM's. If you do, they come with a picture attached. You also can't send out text unless your commenting on a picture. With twitter, you can do both. They'll be around though...If only my friends were on twitter I would use it more haha.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Stock hit a new low today ... hit the 13's...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
when does Facebook crack?

Facebook is a marketer's dream and a profit cow. As long as advertisers can reach specifically targeted groups, I doubt it will crack. Twitter on the other hand... another Silicon Valley pipe dream that sells dollars for nickels.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Facebook is a marketer's dream and a profit cow. As long as advertisers can reach specifically targeted groups, I doubt it will crack. Twitter on the other hand... another Silicon Valley pipe dream that sells dollars for nickels.

I think we are seeing a massive bubble in the stock...twitter was at one point as well. CEO of the company is all about liquidating now. I smell microsoft.Their next product is to continue to embed people into a false matrix of reality/ vr.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.