The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Think I've hit the slow lane!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
G'Day Everyone,

First time on this forum and have already read some very inspirational posts! Which has given me the motivation to really put my story out on the forum tonight, as I've slowed down in life somewhat lately.

I'm 32 y/o with my wife being 29. We currently have a 5 y/o girl (with mild cerebral palsy - who was a miracle in herself considering her start!) and a 5 week old boy :). The last 8 years have been an eventful 8 years to say the least. Personally, I have gone from a 40k job to 100k (50hr week) - also work 1-2 weekends a month which nets around $1300-1500 per weekend extra (pre-tax). Renovated 2 homes, subdivided one and actually owner built the current one we live in, while maintaining full time employment (stressed much!?). It has been a profitable experience - I believe we currently have around 650k in equity but do have to maintain a large mortgage.

I'm at a point where I want to achieve so many more things, I just don't know where to head or what to do. I find myself getting motivation for one project, then being so overwhelmed that I get distracted easily and continue in another direction. It's making it hard to make critical life decisions AND knowing what I want.

For example, I work in Oil & Gas and have a physical job but isn't stressful and is close to home (home every night). Unfortunately, I've climbed as far as I can with this company. We are due for redundancies in 6 years (field closing down) so everyone is holding on for the payout. I am in 3 minds

1. Stay, ride out the field and take a payout but home every night
2. Leave, work FIFO, potential to climb and earn more $$$ plus work even time roster
3. Follow my weekend work, start a business operating rotational telehandlers/cranes

On top of this, I have a hobby tinkering with cars but I've been so focused on work and building wealth - I find I've got no time to master skills I would like to, to build something of my own. I've got a little BMW E30 that I've had for 3 years, I work on it once a month for a few hours. I've come to the realisation that I need to either make time for it (esp hard when free time is usually family time or maintain house) or create a side business (online) that wealth created from it can solely be used to fund my hobby. We have a race called Targa Tasmania - that's my ultimate goal with the car.

And to add to the list, my partner has started a cleaning business - so I'm actively involved in helping her get this off the ground. She also wants to fit out the new home properly with new furniture, which I don't think is unreasonable.

As you can properly see, I've got so many things I want to achieve and I feel like there isn't enough time or money to do it. I keep searching for ideas to better myself, extend myself etc but always come back with nothing. Back in school, I topped my class for IT and Industrial Design. I was always motivated and liked creating things, had so many ideas. Now, I have ideas but find reasons to not pursue them rather then actually failing. I feel as if I don't have the TIME to fail!

So many more things I could have thrown into my rant, but ultimately - here to learn. grow. exceed my expectations. I just need the guts to do it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Welcome to the forums! Thanks for the intro.

Whoa. Lots going on, *and* a newborn (congrats btw).

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard, and congrats on the newborn!

As far as the cars, I've got a buddy that's been working on a mid 50s Chrysler and an early 40s Chevy since we were 12 (we're 36 now). Definitely want to decide what to do with that E30

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Great execution so far. Sounds like you have both a lot of options and potential. Congrats!

Never really thought of it in that way, that there is a lot of options. Just need to keep going forward.

Welcome to the forums! Thanks for the intro.

Whoa. Lots going on, *and* a newborn (congrats btw).

Newborn definitely adds a whole other factor to it, doesn't it!

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the newborn!

As far as the cars, I've got a buddy that's been working on a mid 50s Chrysler and an early 40s Chevy since we were 12 (we're 36 now). Definitely want to decide what to do with that E30

I had some grand plans for the e30. Bought my own MIG setup, tools and etc. I shouldn't really give up on that idea of doing it all myself...maybe I just need to adjust my goals around it.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
I am happy to report, I have already bought a copy of Unscripted . Should arrive tomorrow. I read the first 4 chapters in the book and decided to put it down until I get a full copy - it's an addictive read and gets the motivation going!

Also started the Kaizen program for the month. It's hard to start, I've set my goals to:
* Lose 10kg
* Exercise (3km/30min - 5km/30min)
* Innovate (Design, Sketch or Improve a product/idea each day)
* Educate (Learn something new everyday)
* Read 1 Book to my 5 y/o each day.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am happy to report, I have already bought a copy of Unscripted . Should arrive tomorrow. I read the first 4 chapters in the book and decided to put it down until I get a full copy - it's an addictive read and gets the motivation going!

Nice, hope you enjoy the rest.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the intro!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Alright, bit of an update.

So I have continued reading Unscripted . It is all making sense and has definitely opened my eyes to some of the hyper-realities that we allow ourselves to be involved in.

In light of this, I have actively been trying to remove myself from some of these situations (remove Facebook app, limited time in front of tv etc). In fact, listening to other people's conversations at work has really confirmed that being scripted is alive and well. Especially when the talk starts to mention we, our, us when talking fanatically about sports!

Yet to finish the book but it has given me inspiration to instead of listening to meaningless chatter on the morning commute, I have been listening to "Knowledge for Men" on YouTube. Listening to advice from the like of MJ DeMarco, Grant Cordone, Dr David Lieberman. In doing so, I have already built up motivation to become better at every aspect in my life.

I have changed my eating to be more healthy and better portions sizes. Losing 3.5kg in one week! (Although, very physical work mid week). Have been read every day (I never read) and found motivation back in my work.

Finally, taking on MJs advice - I have also developed a goal that is going to be a massive task but I am going to take it one step at a time. I will find an answer to every problem I come across. It may not be easy, but the end goal is worth it.

It will be a business aimed at a service segment in oil & gas. It has the potential for scaling the business and multiple channels of revenue once established. It is a little daunting though!

Success doesn't come without stepping outside your comfort zone!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
And an update. Still in the Slowlane!

To be honest, I have to admit that staying committed is harder then it seems. I mean, it's one thing to say your going to create a habit - it is another to actually do it.

Although, already, I have failed so many of my goals that I had set 2 months ago (short term goals). I have yet to complete Unscripted but continue to try and find time to take little chunks out of it. It is definitely harder with a young family (2 kids - 4months & 5years) but I don't want that to be an excuse. I am determined to prove to my family I can create something better for us.

In saying this though - even though I have failed on so many fronts, the positive I take from this is that I am back here. I have been thinking, searching, pondering about the future. Seeking value in the community and coming up with ideas - running those ideas through my head and determining if they could or couldn't be successful. So I have, slightly, changed my thinking patterns.

This is bit of a dull post - but I thought I have to put up an update of how I have been under performing so I can help re-evaluate myself. I don't want to be a forum member who comes and goes - not being committed to the hard work the unscripted life takes.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Finally finished Unscripted today. Plan on TMF shortly but in the meantime - I have started reading Atomic Habits. I have continued to run of a morning which works great because I now combine this with my reading. My mindset for the purpose of running has changed and I think that has now made it a lot more enjoyable. Opposed to running to lose weight (not that I am realistically, 'overweight'), I am running to feel good about myself.

More and more, after reading unscripted , I have been looking at everything I do and am involved in to see how I could add value. Also, I've been working on an idea in the background which I am determined to keep on top of. This time around, I won't be the Idea Entrepreneur!

And an update. Still in the Slowlane!

To be honest, I have to admit that staying committed is harder then it seems. I mean, it's one thing to say your going to create a habit - it is another to actually do it.

Although, already, I have failed so many of my goals that I had set 2 months ago (short term goals). I have yet to complete Unscripted but continue to try and find time to take little chunks out of it. It is definitely harder with a young family (2 kids - 4months & 5years) but I don't want that to be an excuse. I am determined to prove to my family I can create something better for us.

In saying this though - even though I have failed on so many fronts, the positive I take from this is that I am back here. I have been thinking, searching, pondering about the future. Seeking value in the community and coming up with ideas - running those ideas through my head and determining if they could or couldn't be successful. So I have, slightly, changed my thinking patterns.

This is bit of a dull post - but I thought I have to put up an update of how I have been under performing so I can help re-evaluate myself. I don't want to be a forum member who comes and goes - not being committed to the hard work the unscripted life takes.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Change your identity.

You're a Fastlaner stuck in the Slowlane. ;)

You are 100% right MJ. That's exactly what I need to do.

So, since I last posted I have been on bit more of a journey. I have successfully listened to TMF and found it extremely insightful and plan on listening to it again, in 6-12 months. I have also finished reading Atomic Habits by James Clear - one big take from this I got was that your habits today will determine who you are in 10 years, as who you are today is because of the habits you had 10 years ago.

So finishing 3 books this year so far, for someone who doesn't read has been inspiring. Now I have moved onto Linchpin by Seth Godin and Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss.

My meditation has been mediocre, struggling to free up time for it, more so because I've been sick lately but I don't want to be that guy that makes the excuses. So I've got myself back into it and find even a 5 min session helps.

As for changing my identity, I decided that even though I want to work towards being a business owner and unscripted , I was worth more money then I was being paid. Managed to get an extra 25k out of them. Which, in the short term, allows for more allocation for a few ideas I have in the pipeline.

I will keep updating this post, mainly for my own honesty and progression. To show that I'm am here to change my identity and provide value to the world!

Guts

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jul 8, 2018

Also started the Kaizen program for the month. It's hard to start, I've set my goals to:
* Lose 10kg
* Exercise (3km/30min - 5km/30min)
* Innovate (Design, Sketch or Improve a product/idea each day)
* Educate (Learn something new everyday)
* Read 1 Book to my 5 y/o each day.
I like how exercising is in your routine bud! Great way to increase dopamine levels! A bit late to this post but hey, how's that going for you? Also did you managed to slither some time for any hobbies/business you have?

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
I like how exercising is in your routine bud! Great way to increase dopamine levels! A bit late to this post but hey, how's that going for you? Also did you managed to slither some time for any hobbies/business you have?

It is good, quite hard getting up at 4am to start my routine but having stacked my exercise with reading helps.
Routine is
4:10am - Run & Read
4:40am - Stretch
4:50am - Meditate
5:00am - Get ready for day (pack kids lunches, breaky, make a smoothie).

Getting time for business and/or hobbies is hard. At the moment, I am actively seeking ideas. I have been writing down some innovative product ideas and opportunities, even if they are useless ideas. Get the brain going!

One of my hobbies is to build an BMW E30, sadly I have had no time and when I do, the voice inside me says I should be doing something better with my time.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
All depends on your goals. Just want to be financially free?

Personally, if I had a family, a good paying job and 650k in equity, this is what I would do.

I would sell big-ticket things I don't absolutely need.

I would slowly liquidate assets and keep my money in a few different bank accounts.

I would continue working hard, making as much money as I could while spending very little.

Let the economy crash. You think you'll be old before the next recession?...no chance. 1 year, 2 years, 5 years maybe...not 20 though. Just stack cash. It's coming.

With any free time you have, get involved with your own dream business idea. Something that will take real time but is a real solid idea.

Hope you keep your job through hard times. No reason to sweat though, you've got savings on top of your savings and you're living below your means remember?

Market bottoms out.

Time to buy houses for .30 on the dollar. Flip them, rent them out, etc.

Hold on to a few of them while you continue to work hard and build a real estate portfolio in addition to your saved cash. Keep at your side business and continue to spend your free time on it instead of other wastes of time. Pull out equity and repeat the process. Look up "the BRRR strategy".

Everything appreciates, it's 2028 and you've got multiple millions in equity making you automatic money each month forever and you can quit your job. Your business you've been working quietly on for years has been growing and now you can really manage it full time. Money is an afterthought and doesn't affect your short term choices so you're more able to build your business the right way.

This is a pretty safe route to take and I think will result in your realistically making the most money.

Guts

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jul 8, 2018
It is good, quite hard getting up at 4am to start my routine but having stacked my exercise with reading helps.
Routine is
4:10am - Run & Read
4:40am - Stretch
4:50am - Meditate
5:00am - Get ready for day (pack kids lunches, breaky, make a smoothie).

Getting time for business and/or hobbies is hard. At the moment, I am actively seeking ideas. I have been writing down some innovative product ideas and opportunities, even if they are useless ideas. Get the brain going!

One of my hobbies is to build an BMW E30, sadly I have had no time and when I do, the voice inside me says I should be doing something better with my time.
I feel you man, I'm trying to balance my job that makes me money, my youtube channel which I haven't made a video yet just scripts, and also my ecommerce. I think the best technique for me to do this is not think about time and just act. I don't pay attention to the clock anymore unless I have responsibilities or work. I like your morning routine I gotta start waking up earlier haha

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
All depends on your goals. Just want to be financially free?

Personally, if I had a family, a good paying job and 650k in equity, this is what I would do.

I would sell big-ticket things I don't absolutely need.

I would slowly liquidate assets and keep my money in a few different bank accounts.

I would continue working hard, making as much money as I could while spending very little.

Let the economy crash. You think you'll be old before the next recession?...no chance. 1 year, 2 years, 5 years maybe...not 20 though. Just stack cash. It's coming.

With any free time you have, get involved with your own dream business idea. Something that will take real time but is a real solid idea.

Hope you keep your job through hard times. No reason to sweat though, you've got savings on top of your savings and you're living below your means remember?

Market bottoms out.

Time to buy houses for .30 on the dollar. Flip them, rent them out, etc.

Hold on to a few of them while you continue to work hard and build a real estate portfolio in addition to your saved cash. Keep at your side business and continue to spend your free time on it instead of other wastes of time. Pull out equity and repeat the process. Look up "the BRRR strategy".

Everything appreciates, it's 2028 and you've got multiple millions in equity making you automatic money each month forever and you can quit your job. Your business you've been working quietly on for years has been growing and now you can really manage it full time. Money is an afterthought and doesn't affect your short term choices so you're more able to build your business the right way.

This is a pretty safe route to take and I think will result in your realistically making the most money.

Thanks for your comment. Over here is Australia, we have been through quite a boom in the property market and it's amazing how high in debt (with little equity) so many home owners are. I have to admit, we do have a decent mortgage BUT we also have plenty of wealth built into the property. So WORST CASE SCENARIO, we can sell and still walk away with money in our pocket. Others I know are 90-95% LVR on a 800k house. That's tight.

Renovate, Rent & Sell is what we did with our first 2 places. That's how we got to where we are, taking on the properties where my family were telling me we shouldn't be doing it, too much risk, too much money. 8 years later, we made enough to pay off all our debts (Car, credit cards etc) and focus on a building our dream home. In hindsight, though - I think we would have now focused on building a business. Although, I did owner build the home we live at now and it was a extremely rewarding experience. Much what I feel it would be like to build a successful business. Hours and hours of planning for every detail, then seeing it come to life is amazing.

I feel you man, I'm trying to balance my job that makes me money, my youtube channel which I haven't made a video yet just scripts, and also my ecommerce. I think the best technique for me to do this is not think about time and just act. I don't pay attention to the clock anymore unless I have responsibilities or work. I like your morning routine I gotta start waking up earlier haha

It's a lot of work to get into a routine. Truth be told, I've had multiple bad weeks with the routine. Although, I can say I manage at least 1-2 a week. My original aim was 3 times a week, thinking this coming week I will try for 5 days - I am thinking the couple of days off (waking up @ 5am) is throwing it out of balance. It can depend on when the now 6 month old wakes up too.

I only really pay attention for the times of my morning routine. The afternoon is a hard one, there is always something happening each day (little girl does physio, OT & Speech Therapy for Cerebral Palsy)...it's a hectic life at the moment.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
It's a lot of work to get into a routine. Truth be told, I've had multiple bad weeks with the routine. Although, I can say I manage at least 1-2 a week. My original aim was 3 times a week, thinking this coming week I will try for 5 days - I am thinking the couple of days off (waking up @ 5am) is throwing it out of balance. It can depend on when the now 6 month old wakes up too.
You've a lot going on, so don't be too hard on yourself. I just finished reading the complete thread. Wow and Wow. I know more than a few parents that wouldn't even dream of taking on the world the way you have and they don't have nearly the challenges you're dealing with. Hang in there and keep working on building your plan. Once you have the plan, put it into action and understand that it will change. Keep at it.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
You've a lot going on, so don't be too hard on yourself. I just finished reading the complete thread. Wow and Wow. I know more than a few parents that wouldn't even dream of taking on the world the way you have and they don't have nearly the challenges you're dealing with. Hang in there and keep working on building your plan. Once you have the plan, put it into action and understand that it will change. Keep at it.

Thanks for the kind words Ernman. There is a lot going on at the moment, but I don't want to be making excuses. I'll report back in a week or two to keep myself honest!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Thanks for the kind words Ernman. There is a lot going on at the moment, but I don't want to be making excuses. I'll report back in a week or two to keep myself honest!

Alright, so a bit of an update of where I am at.
The last couple of weeks has been pretty damn busy, and super hard to follow my routine of the early morning get ups. I've been managing to continue to read of a night most nights and also listen to audiobooks (TMF is now back on for 2nd time over, find it motivating to listen to of a morning).

I've also decided that I should focus on the missus cleaning business for the short term. It gets my feet wet and builds some confidence. We have had some ideas on scaling the business already and even though the business has been technically only open for 4 weeks. We have picked up multiple fortnightly clients, have 2 potential commercial clients next week for weekly cleans and I have developed an idea to target a specific group of people which I will roll out this week. We also have found a gap in the market for another specific group, where services are actually lacking in our area - surprising since it's a government rolled out scheme but I have already found that the entry barrier is relatively high in regards to paperwork needed to be completed (think emergency reports, incident management, complaint management, health and safety policies, worker training etc). There is only one company in the area that does cleaning that is approved by the scheme, and they have a large coverage area and are super busy!

Have hit the streets and completed more letterbox drops. We have had some success with this so far. Although looking to adjust the brochure now as I think it can be more effective.

I have taken the business onto Google with adwords, have got 330 impressions with 3 clicks in the last 72 hours. Looking to undertake Andy Blacks course to hone this in.

Then there's the company website. Made some minor adjustment (thanks to members on here for helping me make changes...looking to continuely improve to make it a converting landing page!). Lastly, I have sourced some simple sign writing for the work vehicle, should add a professional feel to the company.

I have considered starting a company that does coatings (think epoxy and polyspartic coatings for garages, machines and large concrete or metal structures) but I believe if I start toying with this idea too much, I'll sacrifice quality and commitment to the partners business.

That's me up until now.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Alright, so a bit of an update of where I am at.
The last couple of weeks has been pretty damn busy, and super hard to follow my routine of the early morning get ups. I've been managing to continue to read of a night most nights and also listen to audiobooks (TMF is now back on for 2nd time over, find it motivating to listen to of a morning).
Busy is good if it is for the right reasons and it sounds like it was. Anything that leads to bringing in customers is good busy. Thank you for the update and keep it up!

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I have considered starting a company that does coatings (think epoxy and polyspartic coatings for garages, machines and large concrete or metal structures) but I believe if I start toying with this idea too much, I'll sacrifice quality and commitment to the partners business.
I know it's tempting. But MJ's books strongly recommend monogamy until you can afford to play.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Can't believe it's been a whole month already. Time Flies.

Brief overview of what has happened in the last month.

Got the partners cleaning business up and running. I have developed a few home made excel spreadsheets to keep track of everything and keep costs lows at the moment. I have finished developing all the paperwork I talked about previously and tested out one of my marketing ideas.

It turned out to be too time consuming but one of our services is end of lease cleans, so I went onto our local real estate rental site and searched for all rentals in the area...once I had done this, I developed a list of houses that were soon to be vacated by tenants and would likely be needing a end of lease clean. I wrote out a letter that highlighted to the prospective client that a large number of tenants lose part of their bond due to poor cleaning, something we could fix. Made it seem like it was cheaper and easier to hire us then to risk losing their bond. Since I had addresses, I had all these printed onto the envelopes at home and did a letterbox drop. Out of around 60 (small sample size) we had around 5 calls and 2 jobs.

My partner has basically locked in nearly a full weeks of work at the moment and getting steady amounts of calls for new work. Since this is her baby, I've decided to back off it a little for the meantime - focus on some of my own ideas.

Unfortunately, I had some bad news during this period - which has been somewhat a push to make something better of myself. My cousin tragically died in a workplace incident - one of the happiest and easiest going blokes. Would be there to help anyone. RIP Kieran.

I did have an idea, only a few days ago, that I am now further investigating. From using a online website to book transport for goods, I have identified a gap in the market with only 3 websites (that I could find so far) that offer a similar service. Two of those are small websites that really aren't setup very well, not user friendly and could do with improvements - but they seem to get a lot of traffic through the site. These sites are charging monthly or annual fees to transport providers. It's basically a passive business, they are just a middle man to transferring details for a transaction. I can see how it could be run with minimal upkeep and looking into how I could develop a site, market it and how much it could cost to be built.

Until next time...

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
2 Months on. Wow. Time has flown.

Ok, so a lot has been happening.

I have been trying to help the partner build her business more, unfortunately she has aggravated a pre-existing shoulder injury. It has meant that there has been more down time than days filled with clients. At the end of the day, I have been supportive of helping my partner with her business and I think for the short time that we actually had it running - we proved it could be done. From zero clients to fully booked out every fortnight in the space of 2 months. Since it is her business, I have been supportive of her wanting to move back into the work force - for now.

On my side of things. I have now developed more of an idea about this online booking and quoting system for transport. Yes, it's not a new idea BUT it is in a niche area that has minimal competitors. I am thinking I will start a new thread in the projects section for this idea.

The biggest issue I have been facing is how to build the website. Do I pay someone to do it (currently in quotation stage with reputable design agency) or do I spend the hours to learn how to undertake this myself?

If I get a company to build the platform:
* Better structured product making ease of upgrades
* Accountability held by the design agency
* Website launch will be sooner, a lot sooner.
* No testing phase to see how the market reacts
* Financed

If I build the platform:
* Could take 1-2 years to build
* Costs would be minimal
* Time costs would be high - thinking 2 hours of learning coding a night = min 500 hours to code = 250 days?
* Complete accountability on myself if website fails (faults / security breach etc)
* Upgrades could be a mess if I haven't implemented the right structure.

Either way, I want to learn basic coding. I believe it would be extremely beneficial to have knowledge of the main asset of the business.

Any guidance would be great.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
want some help with it?

I need help with a lot of things! I definitely wouldn't knock back an offer for help.

I have engaged a developer who is in the processing of quoting the system. On top of this, I have looked at getting the website completed through Upwork also - gauging interest to see what sort of price difference we would be looking at.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Almost a month has passed again.

Quick update to keep myself honest.

I have adjusted my morning routine but it now entails a workout through Millionaire Hoy for 30 minutes.

Afternoons are now a 30 minute yoga stretch also through Millionaire Hoy, then 1.5 hours of "learning". At the moment that entails doing the JavaScript & Economics course through KhanAcademy. Listening to Audiobooks in the morning and afternoon on my work commute (30min each way) and trying to fit a few pages of a book in a night also...

It feels like I am getting no where at the moment, but I want to stick to it and reassess in 6 months. I am sure I will then notice the difference!

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Who you are in 10 years is a direct result of what you do today....This quote has really stuck in my head. Over the past 3 months, I have been so busy with work and life that I have been side tracked to the slow lane. Mentally fighting myself to get back on track - it's so easy to take the path of least resistance. I suppose this is all part of the journey.

I had been exercising all the way up to 2 weeks ago, our 1 year old decided he would change his sleeping patterns and it has made it extremely difficult to continue the 4:30am exercise. I am looking forward to getting back on track next week.

I had also been learning to program to help with my most recent endeavour but again, fallen off the bandwagon. Going to get back on, learn some more and make improvements to my website plan. I have been in contact with a web designer for my idea and plan to have the concept fully quoted in the next month. I will be back with more updates, sooner.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
Who you are in 10 years is a direct result of what you do today....This quote has really stuck in my head. Over the past 3 months, I have been so busy with work and life that I have been side tracked to the slow lane. Mentally fighting myself to get back on track - it's so easy to take the path of least resistance. I suppose this is all part of the journey.

I had been exercising all the way up to 2 weeks ago, our 1 year old decided he would change his sleeping patterns and it has made it extremely difficult to continue the 4:30am exercise. I am looking forward to getting back on track next week.

I had also been learning to program to help with my most recent endeavour but again, fallen off the bandwagon. Going to get back on, learn some more and make improvements to my website plan. I have been in contact with a web designer for my idea and plan to have the concept fully quoted in the next month. I will be back with more updates, sooner.

Wow. Time flies.

Update for over the past 4 months. It has been hectic, as always.

Firstly, I decided to branch out of my current job to take my career into the Offshore side of Oil & Gas. So i trained myself up with some courses and got applying to companies. Just recently I had a job offer and accepted (roster work - 120-160k potential earnings), although - again, my current company has entered into negotiations to try and keep me around. Really unsure what to do. The field I am working in is coming to an end, the location has been difficult for them to find suitable employees and with my position being a 'critical' position - they have gone out and offered an additional $28,000 - a grand total sum of 155k including super plus bonus/payrise (4% each yearly) + car. In 4 years there will also be redundancy - it's well known as the operator is shutting everything down. With an additional pay rise - it's a tidy 100k in my pocket at completion.

So, do I stay and progress no further for another 4 years or do I leave to take on a new challenge?

On top of this, we have decided to sell our current home. Mainly to downsize and allow more breathing room with our mortgage - with projected sale figures though we are looking to clear a tidy
720k. Looking to find something I can renovate - it will be our 4th renovation. Maybe this is our calling?

1st: Purchase: 340k Reno: 30k Sell: 640k (Owned 5 years)
2nd: Purchase: 520k Reno: 5k Subdivide: 20k Sell Block: 240k Sell House: 550k (Owned 2 Years)
3rd: Purchase Block: 380k Build House/Landscape: 750k Projected Sale Price: 1.5 Million (Owned 4 Years)

Unfortunately, with these purchase - we have paid capital gains each time. Here in Australia, add the gains to your yearly wage and you pay the applicable tax rate! Eeek.

All these purchases have over lapped each other by a year or two. Maybe I've been focusing my energy on a business plan too much and not considered renovating to be my skillset - maybe because I think it's so mainstream and everyone does it?

Anyway, another rant. Good to finally be back again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...