• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

INTRO Think I've hit the slow lane!

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by Roughneck, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Roughneck

Roughneck Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $213
    G'Day Everyone,

First time on this forum and have already read some very inspirational posts! Which has given me the motivation to really put my story out on the forum tonight, as I've slowed down in life somewhat lately.

I'm 32 y/o with my wife being 29. We currently have a 5 y/o girl (with mild cerebral palsy - who was a miracle in herself considering her start!) and a 5 week old boy :). The last 8 years have been an eventful 8 years to say the least. Personally, I have gone from a 40k job to 100k (50hr week) - also work 1-2 weekends a month which nets around $1300-1500 per weekend extra (pre-tax). Renovated 2 homes, subdivided one and actually owner built the current one we live in, while maintaining full time employment (stressed much!?). It has been a profitable experience - I believe we currently have around 650k in equity but do have to maintain a large mortgage.

I'm at a point where I want to achieve so many more things, I just don't know where to head or what to do. I find myself getting motivation for one project, then being so overwhelmed that I get distracted easily and continue in another direction. It's making it hard to make critical life decisions AND knowing what I want.

For example, I work in Oil & Gas and have a physical job but isn't stressful and is close to home (home every night). Unfortunately, I've climbed as far as I can with this company. We are due for redundancies in 6 years (field closing down) so everyone is holding on for the payout. I am in 3 minds

1. Stay, ride out the field and take a payout but home every night
    2. Leave, work FIFO, potential to climb and earn more $$$ plus work even time roster
    3. Follow my weekend work, start a business operating rotational telehandlers/cranes

On top of this, I have a hobby tinkering with cars but I've been so focused on work and building wealth - I find I've got no time to master skills I would like to, to build something of my own. I've got a little BMW E30 that I've had for 3 years, I work on it once a month for a few hours. I've come to the realisation that I need to either make time for it (esp hard when free time is usually family time or maintain house) or create a side business (online) that wealth created from it can solely be used to fund my hobby. We have a race called Targa Tasmania - that's my ultimate goal with the car.

And to add to the list, my partner has started a cleaning business - so I'm actively involved in helping her get this off the ground. She also wants to fit out the new home properly with new furniture, which I don't think is unreasonable.

As you can properly see, I've got so many things I want to achieve and I feel like there isn't enough time or money to do it. I keep searching for ideas to better myself, extend myself etc but always come back with nothing. Back in school, I topped my class for IT and Industrial Design. I was always motivated and liked creating things, had so many ideas. Now, I have ideas but find reasons to not pursue them rather then actually failing. I feel as if I don't have the TIME to fail!

So many more things I could have thrown into my rant, but ultimately - here to learn. grow. exceed my expectations. I just need the guts to do it.

2. Mainstream7

Mainstream7 Beauty is Truth

Rep Bank:
    $1,322
    Great execution so far. Sounds like you have both a lot of options and potential. Congrats!

Mr.C and Andy Black like this.
  3. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $178,531
    Welcome to the forums! Thanks for the intro.

Whoa. Lots going on, *and* a newborn (congrats btw).

Suzanne Bazemore and Mr.C like this.
  4. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,538
    Welcome aboard, and congrats on the newborn!

As far as the cars, I've got a buddy that's been working on a mid 50s Chrysler and an early 40s Chevy since we were 12 (we're 36 now). Definitely want to decide what to do with that E30

Dylan Hobrecht, Mr.C and Andy Black like this.
  5. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    Never really thought of it in that way, that there is a lot of options. Just need to keep going forward.

Newborn definitely adds a whole other factor to it, doesn't it!

I had some grand plans for the e30. Bought my own MIG setup, tools and etc. I shouldn't really give up on that idea of doing it all myself...maybe I just need to adjust my goals around it.

Andy Black and lowtek like this.
  6. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    I am happy to report, I have already bought a copy of Unscripted. Should arrive tomorrow. I read the first 4 chapters in the book and decided to put it down until I get a full copy - it's an addictive read and gets the motivation going!

Also started the Kaizen program for the month. It's hard to start, I've set my goals to:
    * Lose 10kg
    * Exercise (3km/30min - 5km/30min)
    * Innovate (Design, Sketch or Improve a product/idea each day)
    * Educate (Learn something new everyday)
    * Read 1 Book to my 5 y/o each day.

Guts likes this.
  7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $386,698
    Admin Post
    Nice, hope you enjoy the rest.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the intro!

8. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    Alright, bit of an update.

So I have continued reading Unscripted. It is all making sense and has definitely opened my eyes to some of the hyper-realities that we allow ourselves to be involved in.

In light of this, I have actively been trying to remove myself from some of these situations (remove Facebook app, limited time in front of tv etc). In fact, listening to other people's conversations at work has really confirmed that being scripted is alive and well. Especially when the talk starts to mention we, our, us when talking fanatically about sports!

Yet to finish the book but it has given me inspiration to instead of listening to meaningless chatter on the morning commute, I have been listening to "Knowledge for Men" on YouTube. Listening to advice from the like of MJ Demarco, Grant Cordone, Dr David Lieberman. In doing so, I have already built up motivation to become better at every aspect in my life.

I have changed my eating to be more healthy and better portions sizes. Losing 3.5kg in one week! (Although, very physical work mid week). Have been read every day (I never read) and found motivation back in my work.

Finally, taking on MJs advice - I have also developed a goal that is going to be a massive task but I am going to take it one step at a time. I will find an answer to every problem I come across. It may not be easy, but the end goal is worth it.

It will be a business aimed at a service segment in oil & gas. It has the potential for scaling the business and multiple channels of revenue once established. It is a little daunting though!

Success doesn't come without stepping outside your comfort zone!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dylan Hobrecht and Sheens like this.
  9. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    And an update. Still in the Slowlane!

To be honest, I have to admit that staying committed is harder then it seems. I mean, it's one thing to say your going to create a habit - it is another to actually do it.

Although, already, I have failed so many of my goals that I had set 2 months ago (short term goals). I have yet to complete Unscripted but continue to try and find time to take little chunks out of it. It is definitely harder with a young family (2 kids - 4months & 5years) but I don't want that to be an excuse. I am determined to prove to my family I can create something better for us.

In saying this though - even though I have failed on so many fronts, the positive I take from this is that I am back here. I have been thinking, searching, pondering about the future. Seeking value in the community and coming up with ideas - running those ideas through my head and determining if they could or couldn't be successful. So I have, slightly, changed my thinking patterns.

This is bit of a dull post - but I thought I have to put up an update of how I have been under performing so I can help re-evaluate myself. I don't want to be a forum member who comes and goes - not being committed to the hard work the unscripted life takes.

10. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    Finally finished Unscripted today. Plan on TMF shortly but in the meantime - I have started reading Atomic Habits. I have continued to run of a morning which works great because I now combine this with my reading. My mindset for the purpose of running has changed and I think that has now made it a lot more enjoyable. Opposed to running to lose weight (not that I am realistically, 'overweight'), I am running to feel good about myself.

More and more, after reading unscripted, I have been looking at everything I do and am involved in to see how I could add value. Also, I've been working on an idea in the background which I am determined to keep on top of. This time around, I won't be the Idea Entrepreneur!

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $386,698
    Admin Post
    Change your identity.

You're a Fastlaner stuck in the Slowlane. ;)

12. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    You are 100% right MJ. That's exactly what I need to do.

So, since I last posted I have been on bit more of a journey. I have successfully listened to TMF and found it extremely insightful and plan on listening to it again, in 6-12 months. I have also finished reading Atomic Habits by James Clear - one big take from this I got was that your habits today will determine who you are in 10 years, as who you are today is because of the habits you had 10 years ago.

So finishing 3 books this year so far, for someone who doesn't read has been inspiring. Now I have moved onto Linchpin by Seth Godin and Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss.

My meditation has been mediocre, struggling to free up time for it, more so because I've been sick lately but I don't want to be that guy that makes the excuses. So I've got myself back into it and find even a 5 min session helps.

As for changing my identity, I decided that even though I want to work towards being a business owner and unscripted, I was worth more money then I was being paid. Managed to get an extra 25k out of them. Which, in the short term, allows for more allocation for a few ideas I have in the pipeline.

I will keep updating this post, mainly for my own honesty and progression. To show that I'm am here to change my identity and provide value to the world!

13. Guts

Guts Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $134
    I like how exercising is in your routine bud! Great way to increase dopamine levels! A bit late to this post but hey, how's that going for you? Also did you managed to slither some time for any hobbies/business you have?

Roughneck likes this.
  14. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    It is good, quite hard getting up at 4am to start my routine but having stacked my exercise with reading helps.
    Routine is
    4:10am - Run & Read
    4:40am - Stretch
    4:50am - Meditate
    5:00am - Get ready for day (pack kids lunches, breaky, make a smoothie).

Getting time for business and/or hobbies is hard. At the moment, I am actively seeking ideas. I have been writing down some innovative product ideas and opportunities, even if they are useless ideas. Get the brain going!

One of my hobbies is to build an BMW E30, sadly I have had no time and when I do, the voice inside me says I should be doing something better with my time.

Timmy1990 and Guts like this.
  15. Johnny boy

Johnny boy Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,203
    All depends on your goals. Just want to be financially free?

Personally, if I had a family, a good paying job and 650k in equity, this is what I would do.

I would sell big-ticket things I don't absolutely need.

I would slowly liquidate assets and keep my money in a few different bank accounts.

I would continue working hard, making as much money as I could while spending very little.

Let the economy crash. You think you'll be old before the next recession?...no chance. 1 year, 2 years, 5 years maybe...not 20 though. Just stack cash. It's coming.

With any free time you have, get involved with your own dream business idea. Something that will take real time but is a real solid idea.

Hope you keep your job through hard times. No reason to sweat though, you've got savings on top of your savings and you're living below your means remember?

Market bottoms out.

Time to buy houses for .30 on the dollar. Flip them, rent them out, etc.

Hold on to a few of them while you continue to work hard and build a real estate portfolio in addition to your saved cash. Keep at your side business and continue to spend your free time on it instead of other wastes of time. Pull out equity and repeat the process. Look up "the BRRR strategy".

Everything appreciates, it's 2028 and you've got multiple millions in equity making you automatic money each month forever and you can quit your job. Your business you've been working quietly on for years has been growing and now you can really manage it full time. Money is an afterthought and doesn't affect your short term choices so you're more able to build your business the right way.

This is a pretty safe route to take and I think will result in your realistically making the most money.

Roughneck, Guts and Strm like this.
  16. Guts

Guts Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $134
    I feel you man, I'm trying to balance my job that makes me money, my youtube channel which I haven't made a video yet just scripts, and also my ecommerce. I think the best technique for me to do this is not think about time and just act. I don't pay attention to the clock anymore unless I have responsibilities or work. I like your morning routine I gotta start waking up earlier haha

Roughneck likes this.
  17. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    Thanks for your comment. Over here is Australia, we have been through quite a boom in the property market and it's amazing how high in debt (with little equity) so many home owners are. I have to admit, we do have a decent mortgage BUT we also have plenty of wealth built into the property. So WORST CASE SCENARIO, we can sell and still walk away with money in our pocket. Others I know are 90-95% LVR on a 800k house. That's tight.

Renovate, Rent & Sell is what we did with our first 2 places. That's how we got to where we are, taking on the properties where my family were telling me we shouldn't be doing it, too much risk, too much money. 8 years later, we made enough to pay off all our debts (Car, credit cards etc) and focus on a building our dream home. In hindsight, though - I think we would have now focused on building a business. Although, I did owner build the home we live at now and it was a extremely rewarding experience. Much what I feel it would be like to build a successful business. Hours and hours of planning for every detail, then seeing it come to life is amazing.

It's a lot of work to get into a routine. Truth be told, I've had multiple bad weeks with the routine. Although, I can say I manage at least 1-2 a week. My original aim was 3 times a week, thinking this coming week I will try for 5 days - I am thinking the couple of days off (waking up @ 5am) is throwing it out of balance. It can depend on when the now 6 month old wakes up too.

I only really pay attention for the times of my morning routine. The afternoon is a hard one, there is always something happening each day (little girl does physio, OT & Speech Therapy for Cerebral Palsy)...it's a hectic life at the moment.

Madame Peccato and Guts like this.
  18. Ernman

Ernman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $899
    You've a lot going on, so don't be too hard on yourself. I just finished reading the complete thread. Wow and Wow. I know more than a few parents that wouldn't even dream of taking on the world the way you have and they don't have nearly the challenges you're dealing with. Hang in there and keep working on building your plan. Once you have the plan, put it into action and understand that it will change. Keep at it.

Roughneck likes this.
  19. Roughneck

Rep Bank:
    $213
    Thanks for the kind words Ernman. There is a lot going on at the moment, but I don't want to be making excuses. I'll report back in a week or two to keep myself honest!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.