The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone analyzed a schedule of closings in other countries? I'm trying to take a stab at will will close next.

No idea about what's normal, but in Ontario where I am:

- Schools are closed
- City-run recreational facilities are closed
- All concerts / large gatherings cancelled
- Most gyms are closed
- Grocery stores are running on reduced hours
- In Quebec, their version of a liquor/wine store is closed, in Ontario it's reduced hours
- All restaurants are closed except for take-out orders

In general, just about everything is either closed or on reduced hours and the few things that are open that aren't essential are being lambasted by the public pretty severely.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
any body else here work in the medical field? I’d be curious to see how other 911 systems and hospitals are implementing protocols and triage systems.

I work as an AEMT or EMT-Intermediate in the 911 system as a first responder and at 1 of our 3 core hospitals in the ER. Here’s what I have been experiencing. I have been picking up massive amounts of overtime working 13 to 24hr shifts and the flow of patients is ridiculous. Hospital status is currently code black (meaning no available beds anywhere) which is killing the ER and AMBULANCE flow to respond to calls and new patients. we are at critical levels for N95 respirators state wide. I come in contact with multiple patients an hour and I cannot get one... my current PPE is a anti fog surgical mask that ties on back (the elastic masks are rubbing my ears raw) and I have a set of safety style glasses for my eye protection. My wrists have developed a slight rash from the amount of gloves that I am taking on and off. My sleep schedule is very sporadic. I’m on call pretty much 24/7 now to respond. I am not overly afraid of this virus compared to others I can potentially come into contact with any day. I am concerned with other people’s response to the media on this virus. I have seen greed, selfishness, evil, panic on multiple calls. I have noticed a shift in mindset, almost to a primitive predator/prey behavior. The minute the virus hit my city, it seems people think they have a high potential to die which flicks the switch to where their life is instantly more important than anyone’s because their goal is to survive and they think they could die here. So panic is immensely spread through that thought process. In my training and when I was new to EMS when you PANIC on a high acuity, high stress scene YOU MAKE MISTAKES. the current panic mistakes being made in the “fight or flight” response has been people refusing to think this is an issue of any type and refuse to pause their lives if they are sick because they are selfish. With the fight response I’ve seen people enact violence (shoot, fight, steal) for people coughing in public and for getting daily supplies or as simple as they had the means and opportunity. If your afraid of the current events that’s OK. Don’t panic and flip the “primitive” mindset switch. If your not afraid at all that’s OK just don’t be oblivious to the point where you become panicked due to lack of awareness if this becomes worse.
Thanks for being on the front lines for us. If you're comfortable with it, please tell us what city or county you're in. Prayers are with you and all our first responders.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I read a news article saying Chloroquine can kill at 2 grams. I'm assuming this is well known among the medical community and wouldn't be prescribed above that dose. But the article made it sound like people can drug without a prescription. I had a hard time understanding the intent of the article.

For perspective, there are plenty of drugs that will kill you at doses below 1 gram. Not to mention other chemicals. In the US chloroquine is prescription only (though its natural analog, quinine, is not). You won't find a chloroquine pill made for human consumption at a fatal dose, from a pharmacy.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

For anyone freaking out, this is a MUST LISTEN:

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
For anyone freaking out, this is a MUST LISTEN:

Yup great listen! Heard it last night. Thanks for posting.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
A town held a coronavirus experiment and now it's 'the healthiest place in Italy'. Vietnam is doing this too, they put all C0VlD-19 patients in lockdown and were asked not to go out, and not to have contact with any other people. In addition, the whole town where that infected people are provided foods & drinks every day. They don't have to go out to other places.

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
Quickest easiest way to do that is sign up with a service and go full on where the money comes from the service rather than the customer.
Varies by region, but DoorDash is most common around here.
I'd go DoorDash first... Grow Your Business With DoorDash
Then Grubhub, ubereats, postmates....

Here's an opportunity
Find out which businesses offer delivery, curbside, etc and make a chart for your town like below.
Now, go around to the businesses not on this list and help them get on it. Pro bono if you want to sell them other services later or for a fee if the listing helps their business. Might save some people from heartbreak of closing their doors.

View attachment 31325
My town posted this chart on their Facebook page this week. The Chamber of Commerce did the leg work.
I ran with this idea and built my own HTML website from scratch for my local community: Southie C0VlD-19 Guide To Eating Out

I literally just bought a udemy course on web development, stumbled upon this post and gave it a go. It's ugly, I know (first site!). I'm currently blasting the link out to all the local social media pages to promote to the public. Hoping it takes the confusion out of how local restaurants are serving during COVID and encourages more people to support local business.

Thanks for the idea!

Jmad97

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 19, 2017
USA
Thanks for being on the front lines for us. If you're comfortable with it, please tell us what city or county you're in. Prayers are with you and all our first responders.

Thank you for the support. I am located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It seems life here is pretty similar to most states with schools closed, resturants are take out only (No city shutdown as of yet). There is not a substantial amount of cases confirmed yet but we have tested roughly 3,000 people with our 3 drive up testing sites to help relieve stress on the hospitals.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for the support. I am located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It seems life here is pretty similar to most states with schools closed, resturants are take out only (No city shutdown as of yet). There is not a substantial amount of cases confirmed yet but we have tested roughly 3,000 people with our 3 drive up testing sites to help relieve stress on the hospitals.
Used to live in Rio Rancho. Absolutely love NM. Hope you're doing well.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Feels like we're living in a dystopia. In some places you need a F*cking permit to leave your house and can't even go for a walk. If this continues for longer than a month I'd rather it just kill me.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
Feels like we're living in a dystopia. In some places you need a F*cking permit to leave your house and can't even go for a walk. If this continues for longer than a month I'd rather it just kill me.

Well, it took China 2 months of heavily enforced lock down to get it under control. I am not assuming this will be over in a few weeks.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Apparently most COVID19 outbreaks have occurred in places with temperatures between 37F and 55F. This might explain why Russian (too cold) and Africa (too hot), have not had major outbreaks.

The results: In the most recent analysis out of MIT, which used data compiled by Johns Hopkins University, the researchers found that the maximum number of coronavirus transmissions has occurred in regions that had temperatures between 3 and 13 °C during the outbreak. In contrast, countries with mean temperatures above 18 °C have seen fewer than 5% of total cases. This pattern also shows up within the US, where southern states like Texas, Florida, and Arizona have seen a slower growth rate than northern states like Washington, New York, and Colorado. California, which spans north and south, has a growth rate that falls in between.

One recent research paper supported this assertion by pointing out the proximity of the major hotspots. The authors of the study, which was published last week, wrote that C0VlD-19 “has established significant community spread in cities and regions only along a narrow east-west distribution roughly along the 30-50 North latitude corridor at consistently similar weather patterns (5-11 degrees C [41 to 51 F] and 47-79 percent humidity)."

According to a report from Massachusetts Institute of Technology released this week, areas with average temperatures between around 37°F and 55° F had the most confirmed coronavirus cases, while countries with average temperatures above about 64 F made up less than 5% of total reported cases.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
I’ve been trying to stay off the social media and forum chatter. I’m not going to sort through all 80 pages of this thread to see if these links have been posted, but I searched and nothing came up.

So, for those of you who like data...
(And please note that I'm not an expert or MD like @GIlman ... I'm just a data nerd.

Hospital beds (enter in your location):

For those also in CO, I found the link above through this CPR article:

The reason I've been following NYC is because of this blog post, from 3/13:

The link in the blog post to the NYC ILI (Influenza-like Illness) numbers are showing 1,143 on 3/19 when I ran it just now. These numbers can bridge the gap until the testing catches up.

I think that Gov. Cuomo has been doing a great job being proactive about shutting things down and testing. NYC is probably going to get hit hard, due to its population density. If it's a disaster there, I'd hate to see how it's going to look in those states that aren't social distancing (OK, FL, TX).

The mountain towns here in CO are getting pummeled, due to lots of travelers and small communities. It's probably the only instance where I agree with the "endemic" labeling and saving test kits until we get more.

I think the way we beat this thing (besides obviously, social distancing), is math and science. Ramp up the testing and get our healthcare workers and first responders some PPE already. And demand that they receive priority on getting their results back. It's ridiculous to have to make them self-quarantine for 5-7 days, while the rich NBA players get their results back in hours.

I'm still following Italy, too. I think it's the best way of estimating when this might peak. However, the shutdown there is more severe, and thus, probably more effective, than here. You could argue that they have more elderly. Really, we're all just estimating with models and probabilities right now.

For anyone who thinks that the US healthcare system is the best in the world, and we won't be like Italy, I think that you will be in for a real shock. And you should probably try traveling overseas more often.

Even the doctors in Wuhan had solid systems in place... tens of thousands of medical staff brought in, planned rotations with a minimal team in full PPE in the "red zone" and everyone else in a "green zone" with tablets and remote communication to prevent spread.

I see these photos of US healthcare workers PPE vs Italy and China, and I'm like WTF?

Also, China has been trying different treatments on people: antivirals and drugs (remdesivir, HCQ, and others), serum antibodies. I remember reading that whistleblower doctor who died received ECMO, antivirals, reinjected serum antibodies from recovered patients. I have only heard of remdesivir being used in a compassionate case in WA, and no mention of ECMO.

And all this crap about azithromycin/HCQ being a 100% miracle cure to sell headlines is infuriating. Everyone's working on it, and I'm hopeful we'll find a treatment or vaccine soon, but I am sick of all the misinformation on social media.

Personally, I think it's going to be just as ugly in the US as it is in Italy, especially in areas where they're not social distancing.

The sad part is that it could have been avoided; we could have looked more like South Korea or Singapore. The testing debacle and everything coming from the federal government is disgusting.

And on a sort-of-related-tangent, the Epsilon Theory guy (Ben Hunt) also wrote an interesting post about the airlines bailout. Apparently, he's a PhD statistician, and he's the one that wrote that "Body Count" blog post, which probably triggered a lot of us to start looking at the math. Here's the blog post on the bailout:

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Well, it took China 2 months of heavily enforced lock down to get it under control. I am not assuming this will be over in a few weeks.

We're gonna see spike in suicides then

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Duh. Did someone suggest that liquor stores are NOT essential? Strange.
They said they closing down all businesses that were non-“life sustaining” so I think it’s bizarre they closed down liquor stores too.

You know, I wonder what the legality of turning businesses into delivery services would be at this time. I mean “liquor delivery” would probably be a bit hairy legally, but for other businesses I maybe see some opportunity to squeeze lemons into lemonade.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
According to a report from Massachusetts Institute of Technology released this week, areas with average temperatures between around 37°F and 55° F had the most confirmed coronavirus cases, while countries with average temperatures above about 64 F made up less than 5% of total reported cases.
This is true, but a bit misleading.

From Wikipedia:

"The vast majority of the world's human population resides in temperate zones, especially in the northern hemisphere, "

"Temperate regions have the majority of the world's population, which leads to large cities."

Cities are densely populated in temperate zones allowing for viruses (ALL viruses) to spread more easily.

I don't dispute that temperature is a factor, but it's only one factor.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
We officially have shelter in place in Illinois. My firm immediately sent an email we were closing the Chicago office after the announcement so I’m 100% remote now.

A friend of mine sent me a WhatsApp audio of his grandmother’s sister, who is Italian and lives in Italy. It’s in Spanish so I’m leaving the attachment out but man let me tell you, it broke my heart. She’s like “we are afraid...there’s people in the neighborhood that have it, we can’t go out...it’s very sad...we just have to wait and pray (well, she’s old)” and her voice cracks down while she talks. I wish all the morons in the states that don’t give a crap about social distancing and keep going to the beach and what not could hear it. It’s quite a brutal reminder that it’s not just about whether You get sick. But your mom, aunt, uncle, gramps, or your best friend’s mom, dad, etc. etc. we’re all interconnected.

EriTay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 12, 2016
Auckland
t’s quite a brutal reminder that it’s not just about whether You get sick. But your mom, aunt, uncle, gramps, or your best friend’s mom, dad, etc. etc. we’re all interconnected.

Exactly. And this is what I don't understand watching the Millennials' behavior. I mean, all of them have at least a mother, right? How can anyone be so egocentric and witless?!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Exactly. And this is what I don't understand watching the Millennials' behavior. I mean, all of them have at least a mother, right? How can anyone be so egocentric and witless?!

Hanlon's razor. It hasn't hit them on an emotional level that the consequences of the coronavirus could actually impact people they know. They understand it as a TV show like Game of Thrones, not something that is actually happening in the world.

Also, several generation are committing this blunder, not just Millennials.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

This might explain why Russian (too cold) and Africa (too hot), have not had major outbreaks.
You can also chalk that up to be Russia not being transparent and Africa under-reporting, for obvious reasons. South America's cases are increasing.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I'd hate to see how it's going to look in those states that aren't social distancing (OK, FL, TX).
We are social distancing in FL. But our response has been disjointed. Major theme parks and schools closed. No in-dining or bars. No gatherings on the beaches.

We are also slowly getting drive thru testing in the larger cities.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
You know, I wonder what the legality of turning businesses into delivery services would be at this time. I mean “liquor delivery” would probably be a bit hairy legally, but for other businesses I maybe see some opportunity to squeeze lemons into lemonade.
We have a liquor store here in NE Florida that delivers - has been for a couple years. They require an adult (legal age person) to take and pay for the delivery. After that it is the responsibility of the "adult" that took possession of the booze.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
My mom is a nurse at a surgical rehab facility adjacent to a major hospital here in Phoenix. She has been working very long hours as they are moving more patients out of the hospital and into her facility to clear hospital beds.

Last night, her employer locked up all of the PPE for the facility and will only distribute PPE “as necessary,” so as of today, all of the nurses working in the facility are doing so without masks and without gowns. They were previously issued one N95 mask per nurse per day, but now, they have no masks at all. Whether that is a prudent decision or not, time will tell, but at least three of the twelve nurses at her facility are asthmatic, so they were already concerned even when they had access to PPE and now they are very stressed.

If you have N95 masks or know anyone with N95 masks, consider donating them to healthcare workers. Healthcare workers will be most exposed in the outbreak and losing them won’t just mean that we have less resources in this fight but less doctors/nurses in the future too. Generally, the most experienced nurses and doctors are in their forties, fifties, or sixties and our healthcare system cannot afford to lose such invaluable people due to a lack of PPE.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Still waiting for the F*cking vaccine and cure.

We have all the smartest minds in the world working on these in 2020 with the most advanced tech the human race has ever witnessed in history. I want to see it happen by mid-Apr latest.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
We officially have shelter in place in Illinois. My firm immediately sent an email we were closing the Chicago office after the announcement so I’m 100% remote now.

A friend of mine sent me a WhatsApp audio of his grandmother’s sister, who is Italian and lives in Italy. It’s in Spanish so I’m leaving the attachment out but man let me tell you, it broke my heart. She’s like “we are afraid...there’s people in the neighborhood that have it, we can’t go out...it’s very sad...we just have to wait and pray (well, she’s old)” and her voice cracks down while she talks. I wish all the morons in the states that don’t give a crap about social distancing and keep going to the beach and what not could hear it. It’s quite a brutal reminder that it’s not just about whether You get sick. But your mom, aunt, uncle, gramps, or your best friend’s mom, dad, etc. etc. we’re all interconnected.
As someone else noted, unfortunately the stupidity is not limited to the younger. There are YouTubers in their 40-60's actively flaunting the shelter in place orders. They're even saying things such as, "this is unconstitutional," "I'm ready, just let them come get me." My God - the level of stupidity. I don't wish ill on anyone, but my guess is these will be the first folks complaining that the government didn't do enough when they get sick.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.