The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Worldwide C0VlD-19 Coronavirus Pandemic Discussion Thread...

Ludachris

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal
I am a member on a site/app called NextDoor. It's a neighborhood community app for neighbors to communicate. I came across this post from someone in our neighborhood:
Today I passed 23 people (counted) playing soccer and volleyball at the park (in our neighborhood). I don't think this is wise considering the current situation. I know the kids need exercise, but surely we can be safer than this. Not being a gestapo, just a concerned senior
Some of the responses:
Oh brother. People have way too much time on their hands now to be concerned with some kids getting some vitamin D. Jesus.
Well then maybe it would not be in your best interest to go hang out with them
Sounds just a little gestapo-y. Can we just all take a chill pill and stop tattling on each other? If you don't like it, stay in your house. Simple
This is the mentality that has brought about the strict shut down orders here in CA, and may even result in marshal law at some point. It just goes to show you that people really don't truly understand what a pandemic is, or they can't comprehend what can happen if they don't do their part to try and fight one. This is all just a stupid, ridiculous inconvenience to them that they'll roll their eyes over and make jokes about with others.

We had to turn down an invite from some other parents this morning to bring our kids out to the lake today for some "social distancing" fun. I suppose many won't be able to accept it unless people they know are in the hospital. It won't be real until our local hospitals are overwhelmed. It feels like those who are trying to do their part are at the mercy of those with the cavalier attitudes. It's times like this that you learn a lot about the character of those around you.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
F*ck racists AND F*ck governments who try to deflect blame instead of accepting responsibility, in this case, both the Chinese Communist government and the US federal government.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
The only reason to intentionally use the word "foreign" or "Chinese" to describe the virus is to deflect blame and encourage racism.

You're going to tell me that the rise in violence against Asian Americans is not related to this?

I'm Asian American. I've been getting nasty looks these past few months, and I live in one of the most liberal states there is.

The term "Chinese" is used in a derogatory way here in many part of the US to refer to all Asian ethnicities. We would not use the term "Colored" in the US (and it's perfectly fine to use it in other countries), because of the connotation that it carries in this country. This is no different.

There's really no need to continue spreading hate on purpose.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, Anne. Some people are total shit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
F*ck racists AND F*ck governments who try to deflect blame instead of accepting responsibility, in this case, both the Chinese Communist government and the US federal government.

Totally agree.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
My dad mentioned this to me over a call earlier: what's the end game that social distancing plays into? Are we waiting around for a cure? Or are we just trying to postpone the virus inevitably infecting all of us and wreaking havoc?

I've been hanging inside BTW. I'm just curious if there is a long term plan for this thing, or if stay inside is just mean to push back the inevitable death tolls.

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
I haven't read this entire thread but I stocked up on Chloroquine and Azithromycin, they won't be here for a couple of weeks but I figure since it's likely inevitable, might as well get it. Got enough for 15+ treatments.
My sister is the nurse of the family, I'll give them to her. Folks are past 70 so it's a good bet.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/f...ibiotic-combo-could-reduce-C0VlD-19-duration/
Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA-24-1038x553-1.jpg

Ludachris

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal
My dad mentioned this to me over a call earlier: what's the end game that social distancing plays into? Are we waiting around for a cure? Or are we just trying to postpone the virus inevitably infecting all of us and wreaking havoc?

I've been hanging inside BTW. I'm just curious if there is a long term plan for this thing, or if stay inside is just mean to push back the inevitable death tolls.
I've read multiple articles about this, and others have said it here too - the end game is to try and keep the initial spread lower in the beginning so that it doesn't overwhelm the healthcare system, which would result in more loss of life. It won't necessarily prevent people from getting it, it will just delay it over time, allowing the heathcare system to keep up. Google the term "flatten the curve" and you'll get all of the info you need on it.

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA
The trend in reported cases isn’t looking good.

I don’t see how we avoid an economic depression either.

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa

Once the meds arrive from my previous post I'll go about as usual. When you have the meds it just makes it mild or nothing at all, plus I won't be contagious.
You can take antivirals as prophylactics.

President Trump is pushing hard on those meds, FDA is going as fast as they can. I understand all the hurdles entities like the FDA have and fortunately both the anti-malarial and the antibiotic are well known and have been around for many decades, just a matter of repurposing them.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
This is terrifying...

As far as I know, they've had that for years. NDAA granted the government the right to indefinite detention about a decade ago. This was passed under Obama, along with the democratically controlled congress in his first term. This is to say nothing of Obama drone striking United States citizens, including a 16 year old boy.

The article is laughable, as if the democrats suddenly care about the constitution. They've been chomping at the bit to de facto repeal the 2A for decades, and completely forgot about closing down Gitmo, or that blanket spying on American Citizens (metadata my a$$) is unconstitutional, or that drone striking citizens without a trial is also illegal, as soon as Obama got in office

Obvious propaganda is obvious.

President Obama Signs Indefinite Detention Bill Into Law

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
One question I've been curious about. During Jan - Feb period, scientists put the Reproduction Number of C0VlD-19 below SARS, but we now know it's far higher than SARS.

Could it be that the true R0 of C0VlD-19 is actually higher than smallpox and chicken pox, perhaps a bit below measles? Maybe around 12.0? I didn't live through any measles outbreak, but was measles really that contagious? Chickenpox is said to have a higher R0 than Covid 19, but back then in my population-dense school environment, I don't even remember chickenpox spreading like Covid 19 and most of us didn't get chickenpox vaccine shots in the 1990s.

-1x-1.png

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 20, 2019
https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-C0VlD-19-1b767def5894

Some potentially bad science for sure but some very good points. I like to use the Bruce Lee principle of taking what is useful and disregarding what is not.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
What does that have to do with what I posted?

I'm pretty sure that my post wasn't partisan...what is the purpose of you trying to make it so?

Nothing you personally said was partisan. I wasn't attacking you. I agree with your central premise that it is scary.

However, the article you linked is clearly partisan, to the point of delusion. I was attacking it.

The implication of this statement is that the democrats are white knights of the constitution, standing up for our rights to the tyrannical Trump administration.

This is obviously contrary to reality, which is what I was pointing out.

Sure, the democrats are going to oppose it. But not because they are pro constitution. It will be because they are anti Trump.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Who cares why they oppose it?!?!

You seem to care more about the political aspects of it than the Constitutional aspects of it.

There's never an excuse to use crisis to overturn Constitutional rights. If Obama did this, they should have removed him from office. If Trump tries to do this, they should remove him from office.

There's nothing partisan about protecting the Constitution.

I agree with @lowtek that the article was a bit ridiculous and I originally posted based on the headline.

I also agree wholeheartedly with @JScott post. Protection of our rights should be apolitical. But who are we kidding. People think the government gives us our rights when they were really written to protect us from government.

The framers foresaw times just like these where society would be tempted to surrender liberty for safety. To adopt collectivist ideology for little reason other than fear of taking care of themselves. There is a reason Ben Franklin said this:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Life free or die.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Every disaster is an opportunity to centralize government in general, and restrict individual rights. This one won't be any different. They'll try to pass the ban on encryption (in Congress now), and maybe they'll create a new "Department of Medical Security" that inspects people the way the TSA microwaves and molests you when traveling through the airport, but even more invasive. The solution to all this is to lobby on your own behalf when you can, support one or more think/policy tanks that you agree with, and not just let it go. I hope I'm not crossing the political line by posting this, but it's a non-partisan issue. Enjoy liberty? Don't cave. Politicians will always take advantage of disasters and the end result will be that you are less free. They will have "solved a problem," and they'll glorify themselves taking credit for your subjugation. Pretty simple historical lesson, repeated thousands of times in written history. So, expect it along with any other consequences of the pandemic, and be prepared to work against it like anything else about the pandemic.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

You seem to care more about the political aspects of it than the Constitutional aspects of it.

There's never an excuse to use crisis to overturn Constitutional rights. If Obama did this, they should have removed him from office. If Trump tries to do this, they should remove him from office.

I care about reasons because I have the capacity to be forward thinking and model the future.

Three facts:
1) We are headed for a recession
2) No incumbent president has been reelected in a recession
3) The virus will be around in 2021 and beyond.

If the democrats are opposing the DoJ because they are genuinely interested in protecting the constitution, then we have nothing to worry about.

If they are opposing the DoJ because they are opposed to the Trump admin, then there is no reason to believe such constitutional assaults won't be undertaken by the Biden administration in the very near future.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Huh? What is the line of logic here?

Why does opposing Trump mean that they'd want to assault the Constitution?

You might as well have said: "If they are opposing the DoJ because they are opposed to the Trump admin, then there is no reason to believe outlawing red and green crayons won't be undertaken by the Biden administration in the very near future."

What support do you have that opposing Trump means they are more or less likely to assault the Constitution? I know a lot of people who oppose Trump who don't want to assault the Constitution...by your line of logic above, that wouldn't be possible?

He's saying they're against Trump right now, so they'll oppose whatever he does. But that doesn't mean that they will care about the Constitution later, or that they care about it right now. It's a question of motives.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.