The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The use of marijuana...

Anything related to matters of the mind

Pacman385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 28, 2013
I wanted to get a sense of what motivated individuals' attitude is towards mind altering substances that are rumored to produce great results.

There is the current microdosing craze in silicone valley, and spreading quickly through the business world. There's DMT, marijuana, and a host of other drugs that successful people have been known to use.

Barack Obama was an avid pothead. Joe Rogan is a DMT and sensory deprivation advocate. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have both admitted to and even defended the use of LSD.

Now this thread isn't to make a point that to be successful, you must do drugs- I am simply looking for what drives ambitious people like us, to see if there are any similarities, and I invite you to share your experiences. Whether you're for or against, I'm not here to judge. All I'd like is to exchange information and to learn.

I grew up in a conservative family. Alcohol, cigarettes, weed, everything was strictly off limits. I had my first drink at 18, first joint at 21, and that's it. I avoid alcohol when possible as I personally don't have any good experiences. I'm now 25 and with the upcoming legalization in Canada, I decided it was time to start the experimentation that I should have done in college.
And I gotta be honest, I really should have picked this up earlier. My business has been on a rocket ship since I started in August of last year. My revenues from January 2017 to August 2017 were $20,000. From September 2017 to December 2017 they were $40,000. This year, I'm already past those two combined AND with higher profitability. I'm more outgoing, more empathetic, and just more sociable in general. Ideas come flooding in, I write them down and evaluate when sober. I don't have any issues getting work done. In fact, when I opt for a sativa dominant strain, I get much more work done than I otherwise would sober. It boggles my mind that in 2018 there are still people so seriously against it.

That is my experience with mind-altering drugs so far. In keeping with the tradition of the greats, I will be experimenting further and given the sentiment of the replies, even keep you guys updated.

So, let's hear it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
There is a story in a book called "Weird History 101" about an advertising guy who starts taking opium (when it was legal) because it helps his work. He cranks out months of work each week-end, and becomes a stellar creative genius. As his body gets use to the opium, he has to take more and more, and then even more just to remain "normal". He tells the doorman at the Opium den that he is going to quit after one last session, and the guy laughs in face, "Ha ha ha - You no quit!". Eventually he hits rock bottom, and loses everything. Caffeine has a similar honeymoon, your body gets use to it, and when you quit - you suffer (head-aches). So the lesson is, try to change what drugs you are taking - frequently enough that you don't get dependent on any one in particular.

That they are effective is undeniable. Case example, Coleridge's opening lines (which he wrote HAF)

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round;
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
I used to love smoking weed on weekends and thought it helped me see things differently and be more creative.

Nope, it just tricked me back into a numbed comfort zone where nothing exciting or productive got done.

Might be great for some of you guys but I find that I operate better with a sober mind.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I used to love smoking weed on weekends and thought it helped me see things differently and be more creative.

Nope, it just tricked me back into a numbed comfort zone where nothing exciting or productive got done.

Might be great for some of you guys but I find that I operate better with a sober mind.
I agree. My most important asset is my brain. Why would do anything to hurt me that way?

I know it's hard to see the ultimate effects in the beginning. They will show up over time. I was talking to some old friends this last week -- this couple and I have been friends for 35 or 40 years. I walked away telling my husband that these friends are just "old stoners". They can't put a thought together anymore. The long term effects of regularly using drugs are terrifying.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Effects people in different ways. The way I see it if your brain is still developing don't risk it.

I got all the time in the world to explore my mind all I want after I get my goals done. I don't see myself contributing success to drugs.

Wake and bake is a dangerous game to play for productivity

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Be careful how deep that rabbit hole you go.

If your mind can't handle it. Don't do it! I'd say just keep going straight. Your doing great. Why mess that up. I actually went too far down the drug path and had to deal with repercussions.

That's big. There are consequences.

And make sure you can deal with it. It may be fun. But if you loose your mind. The one thing that helps you get through life... I wouldn't want to mess that up. You see bums on the street, and think. Wow! But that's just what you get when they fry their brain. Good luck!

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I agree. My most important asset is my brain. Why would do anything to hurt me that way?

I know it's hard to see the ultimate effects in the beginning. They will show up over time. I was talking to some old friends this last week -- this couple and I have been friends for 35 or 40 years. I walked away telling my husband that these friends are just "old stoners". They can't put a thought together anymore. The long term effects of regularly using drugs are terrifying.

30 years of blazing here, not a walk in the park but capable of managing 6 brands and teams totaling 40 other stoners.

Also collab with many old school stoners who own highly valuated startups and on boards of billion dollar+ companies.

While agree there are those who are not the brightest tool in the shed who long term smoke, the same also exist in the general population.

Your post stinks of generalization.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
30 years of blazing here, not a walk in the park but capable of managing 6 brands and teams totaling 40 other stoners.

Also collab with many old school stoners who own highly valuated startups and on boards of billion dollar+ companies.

While agree there are those who are not the brightest tool in the shed who long term smoke, the same also exist in the general population.

Your post stinks of generalization.
Generalization? Maybe. That's one way to look at it. My point of view has to do with risk taking and weighing the odds. I estimate if the odds are running with me or against me. I ask myself, is it worth taking that kind of risk? If I sit on the couch eating potato chips and bags of candy all day, am I going to have a high risk for sugar diabetes and obesity? If I ingest or smoke weed, do I have a bigger chance of being an "old stoner" who can't think anymore? I've always been smart and motivated. Do I want to risk loosing that edge? I guess I don't feel that lucky -- or else I understand that the odds will probably catch up with me someday.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I don't do it because I have asthma. I can't smoke or inhale anything except clean air, hell I don't even like being around dogs & cats cuz of allergies. One puff and I feel like I can't breathe for a couple hours!

I just don't see how that can be good for anyone, lighting something on fire and breathing in the smoke...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.