The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marijuana in adolescence

heisenberg42

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2023
Guys, what’s your opinion on smoking marijuana in adolescence. There is a lot of data that showes it can decrease brain functions permanently when used consistently? Let me know your experiences, and for the older folks some advice. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Yeah, don't smoke it unless you're a cancer patient needing pain relief or something. Pretty obvious really.

I've seen some friends smoke a lot and be fine, and others where it's helped contribute a lot to their life being shit. Not worth the risk.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
It's adictive, it not being adictive is bullshit. Is low effort dopamine, like social media.

It decreases your vocabulary. You think with words, so it cuts the range of your thought capabilities... Bad for navigating the world.

Cannabis cbd oil it's great thought, I take it daily. I've sold cannabis products for years so I know a thing or two about this plant.

Smoking it It's much less harmful than let's say drinking alcohol regularly, but that doesn't make it good.

Also last 50 years it has increased in potency like 10x. The cannabis of today is ten times stronger than what the hippies made popular. It's not like if you try it on a party you will get adicted forever like in old movies. But if you do it regularly at parties, then at home, and it becomes part of your life, it's def not easy to just stop without changing your environment.

My awesome golden two cents.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
Guys, what’s your opinion on smoking marijuana in adolescence. There is a lot of data that showes it can decrease brain functions permanently when used consistently? Let me know your experiences, and for the older folks some advice. Thanks.
Don't do drugs. You get mixed with bad people and your life turns to sh!t.

JMO.

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 19, 2023
It would be dumb to use it recreationally. My experience has been second-hand since birth nearly everyday until teen years. Just ended up with bronchitis, chronic mouth breathing and a smoother brain. Kick your weed.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
It's adictive, it not being adictive is bullshit. Is low effort dopamine, like social media.

It decreases your vocabulary. You think with words, so it cuts the range of your thought capabilities... Bad for navigating the world.

Cannabis cbd oil it's great thought, I take it daily. I've sold cannabis products for years so I know a thing or two about this plant.

Smoking it It's much less harmful than let's say drinking alcohol regularly, but that doesn't make it good.

Also last 50 years it has increased in potency like 10x. The cannabis of today is ten times stronger than what the hippies made popular. It's not like if you try it on a party you will get adicted forever like in old movies. But if you do it regularly at parties, then at home, and it becomes part of your life, it's def not easy to just stop without changing your environment.

My awesome golden two cents.
Agree with every part of this.

It just became part of my routine and turned me lazy as f*ck. Lost a lot of time to it.

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
Used to smoke it everyday for sometime when I was about 15, I felt dumber, even when not smoking it daily. After a couple of months went by without me touching it I felt a clarity that I haven't felt for long. Don't use it at all, nobody should use it, it's a terrible drug and kids especially must not use it, your brain will get severely limited. Most people I know who use it are zombies.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Used to smoke it everyday for sometime when I was about 15, I felt dumber, even when not smoking it daily. After a couple of months went by without me touching it I felt a clarity that I haven't felt for long. Don't use it at all, nobody should use it, it's a terrible drug and kids especially must not use it, your brain will get severely limited. Most people I know who use it are zombies.
I think that could be written about smartphones too.

Pain Brain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 19, 2023
I think that could be written about smartphones too.
"Used to swipe it everyday for sometime when I was about 15, I felt dumber, even when not swiping it daily. After a couple of months went by without me touching it I felt a clarity that I haven't felt for long. Don't use it at all, nobody should use it, it's a terrible device and kids especially must not use it, your brain will get severely limited. Most people I know who use it are zombies."

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2022
Smoking in general is bad for your health and causes a plethora of health complications including cancer, and emphysema. It does not matter if it is pot, cigarettes, cigars, toilet paper, or 100 dollar bills.

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
Don't.From personal experience,all the weedheads I've known were not unlike the stereotypical weed user - acting dumb, being dumb, irritated when not under the influence, etc. This is especially true if you start using it in your teenage years (when most actually start) due to the fact that your brain still hasn't completely formed yet, and you risk hampering it's proper formation.
Don't take my word for it, though, There's a nice research paper which suggests the same:
THC appears to block synaptic plasticity and neurogenesis, particularly in hippocampal regions, which can have an effect on brain volume (Mato et al., 2004). THC has also been shown to interfere with mesolimbic dopamine pathway functioning (Bossong et al., 2008; Kolb, Gorny, Limebeer, & Parker, 2006).
To translate, the hippocampus is an area in the brain that is responsible for forming new memories, spatial awareness and approach-avoid conflicts. This means that remembering things, learning and navigation and awareness in your surroundings take a hit. Going into the 2004. study yield further information:
This effect is reversible within 3 days and is associated with a transient modification in the functional properties of cannabinoid receptors.
Which means someone who uses cannabis more than once ever 3 days is fighting an uphill battle when trying to remember anything.

The mesolimbic pathway is also referred as the reward pathway. This means it hampers your ability to seek out pleasure (explains the laziness now, doesn't it?). Moving on...
Studies in humans have demonstrated a number of neurocognitive differences between marijuana users and nonusing controls including impaired verbal learning and memory, attention, psychomotor function, and decision making (Broyd, van Hell, Beale, Yücel, & Solowij, 2016; Volkow, Swanson, et al., 2016). Evidence seems to suggest that some deficits in verbal learning and memory function may recover over time with abstinence (Schreiner & Dunn, 2012); persistent use, however, has been associated with poor long-term neurocognitive performance (Meier et al., 2012) and poorer health outcomes (ie, chronic bronchitis, increased risk of respiratory infections, and vascular conditions such as stroke or infarctions; Volkow, Baler, Compton, & Weiss, 2014).
This means that only some of your functions may be recovered when you quit, and that's only if you are a social smoker. Truly abusing it can lead to permanent loss of performance as well as other health effects. Stroke and cardiovascular effects have been mentioned, and I can confirm this from experience. I've known people to get arrhythmias (a-fib, atrial flutter) from cannabis abuse, and that is no fun condition to have.

The study goes further into technical details, like appearance under MRI scan, and relations to alcohol use. In short, Marijuana users are usually alcohol users as well, which makes it hard to differentiate which one is doing the damage, since neither are exactly nootropics, but the care they reached was:
These results are consistent with our smaller study examining the onset of marijuana and alcohol use, in that marijuana and alcohol, but not alcohol alone, were associated with greater WM [White matter, nerve fibers in your brain responsible for communication between nerve cells] deficits.

The WM alterations associated with marijuana use are likely attributable to effects on pruning and myelination [Myelination is important because it's deeply related to forming stronger pathways ie. learning something well or being very proficient at a skill. Read 'The Talent Code' for more about this] processes occurring during adolescence and early adulthood (Lebel et al., 2012) and could underlie functional alterations later in life. For example, Filbey et al. (2014) examined a sample of adult marijuana users and found they exhibited smaller OFC [Orbitofrontal Complex - Responsible for decision making] volumes, but greater functional connectivity in the OFC.
With this in mind, you should be sufficiently informed about how and why weed interferes with your mind (unless you haven't taken too much by now :happy:). In summary - decidedly affects learning in a negative way and definitely hampers your self control and decision making.

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
"Used to swipe it everyday for sometime when I was about 15, I felt dumber, even when not swiping it daily. After a couple of months went by without me touching it I felt a clarity that I haven't felt for long. Don't use it at all, nobody should use it, it's a terrible device and kids especially must not use it, your brain will get severely limited. Most people I know who use it are zombies."

The people who created these technologies don't let their kids use them. That tells you a lot.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jul 30, 2019
Avoid marijuana at all cost.

Once it became an habit, it is incredibly difficult to stop because it is so part of you.

It will definitely not help you in your entrepreneurial journey or in life.

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
No idea why you would even ask

Nothing cool about being a slow pot head who’s lazy and high all the time

Gets even less cool once you’re older and you haven’t changed

I know people who are 40 and have kids and spend $100s of dollars a week on it

Nothing cool about that, that’s a significant amount of money when you are too lazy and grumpy to make much

People who say it’s not addictive are kidding themselves

If your life is shit and you want to feel better, fix your life, don’t smoke weed and numb it

Go to the gym, get addicted to that

Or just get a hobby

If you think it’s cool, imagine a pot head vs someone who goes to the gym or has a hobby and fun to be around

Laughable

heisenberg42

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2023
Well, the reason i’m asking is, let’s admit it. Even though it’s bad and makes you lazy. It is a good reason to relax and to have fun. And i was just wondering because i thought if people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates used to smoke as well, then how bad can it be?

Right now i haven’t smoked for like 4 months. Never been a die hard smoker, been doing it on and off sinds i was 16. The most important thing for me is the brain decline aspect. I’m scared i’m not gonna be able to learn new skills if i do it too much. Although i haven’t noticed very much of that.

I wonder how a lot of entrepreneurs manage to do their day-to-day tasks and still smoke. Is there anyone here who does smoke and still are able to make use of their intellectual and creative abilities? Very curious.

Edoardo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 31, 2022
Well, the reason i’m asking is, let’s admit it. Even though it’s bad and makes you lazy. It is a good reason to relax and to have fun. And i was just wondering because i thought if people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates used to smoke as well, then how bad can it be?

Right now i haven’t smoked for like 4 months. Never been a die hard smoker, been doing it on and off sinds i was 16. The most important thing for me is the brain decline aspect. I’m scared i’m not gonna be able to learn new skills if i do it too much. Although i haven’t noticed very much of that.

I wonder how a lot of entrepreneurs manage to do their day-to-day tasks and still smoke. Is there anyone here who does smoke and still are able to make use of their intellectual and creative abilities? Very curious.
Bill Gates might have smoked it in his teens, but he is not exactly a role model to follow, something not totally known in the public is that he has ties with the Rockfeller family, he also constantly "predicts" new plagues and is the main proponent of forced vaccinations. Not exactly a person of which advice you would want to follow.
Steve Jobs looks like he was an a**hole but a creative and innovative at that, but he also adopted an apples only diet when he got cancer, which is literal bullshit, entrepreneur advice? sure. Health advice? no thanks.

Also this idea of "they do it, why should I not?", is a way of justifying negative actions. The Agnelli family were hooked on cocaine, they were rich as F*ck, should we start using cocaine too? If you want to do stuff, take responsibility for your negative actions, using the "they do it too" is not a respectable line of though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.